Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Chapter 24

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

What do you think it means that after Lenny kills herself, she was becoming part of the tree?

Didn’t something similar happen to Ptonomy?

On 7/23/2019 at 11:45 AM, Bruinsfan said:

It made me wonder if all this—the season so far, if not the entire series—is happening in David's head instead of reality.

That would explain the surreal nature of the show.

I liked the bit where everybody sang "(What's so Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding".  I don't know where  this kind of idea originates, but the first time I saw something like this was in the 1999 movie Magnolia, where there was a segment in the movie where the different cast members sang the Aimee Mann song "WIse Up."  It's an interesting device, anyone know where it orginally comes from?

I was looking on YouTube for info on the song, and I noticed several people had posted the Legion cast singing the song already.  I thought that was kind of funny.

Interesting to get the space scenes after watching so much moon landing material over the last few weeks.  

• Love 1

Finally David is showing why he should be feared unlike the first episode where he was way too easily killed. And to be honest Division 3 keep attacking David when he seems to just want to be left alone so they can't be too shocked when he finally attacks back

Lenny!!!! Last season I was really hoping we would get to see Lenny and David doing crazy shit together but I guess not

Cary took Switch out to Division 3 and said she would be safer with them and they...put her into a tank seemingly against her will and let her stew in her own nightmares? Do they really not see all the bad stuff they're doing?

Oh wow Syd actually met David's other personalities and they called themselves Legion! I'm going to cry with comic book happiness

Syd is somewhat catatonic - I'd prefer if she stayed that way

What exactly was Farouk's plan? Bring David there and try to stop him while sacrificing Division 3? Not the best plan ever

Did not expect singing - at this point I feel like I should always expect singing

Lenny is apparently becoming a tree now. Okay then

• Love 3
On 7/23/2019 at 4:45 PM, Bruinsfan said:

It made me wonder if all this—the season so far, if not the entire series—is happening in David's head instead of reality.

I thought they would reveal everything was in David's head in season 2 to explain all the nonsensical parts of that season but they didn't do it. I wonder if it's now too obvious a plot twist for them to actually do it? But I could see it happening.

• LOL 2

Um, that's not how the atmosphere works. (Yes, that's what I'm complaining about with this show!)

Anyway, the theme of having temporal do-overs and their effects on those who indulge in them was also a major part of Peter F. Hamilton's Void trilogy. If David was being self-absorbed before, thinking he can always go back and fix/undo things magnifies that tendency. Why not pillage, rape, kill if you can just return to before you did all that and then don't? You can easily end up thinking only your own happiness matters and everyone else's lives serve that happiness. After all, your life might be better/easier but that doesn't necessarily mean the changes you made won't cause who knows how many other people's lives to be worse off?

• Love 1

It also reminds me of 12 Monkeys. On that show, the characters are trying to change the past to prevent a global plague from killing most of the world population - so, big stakes. That means many of them will kill without much compunction because 1) it's in service of such an important goal and 2) once they succeed, their present will be rewritten, and they'll never have done those horrible things anyway. But it's a cycle that feeds on itself, because the longer you go WITHOUT accomplishing your goal of changing the past, the more desperate you get to do so and the worse things you'll do. David is definitely rudderless now: nothing matters, because he thinks he can always just change it.

Erasing the memories of Clark's husband/partner bothered me even more than the killings, though. He didn't even hesitate, damn.

• Love 1

David looks around at all the dead bodies, lives ruined, people torn apart, his gang of Manson Girls and think "Is it possible that I...could be the baddie?"

This is the point where Davids desperation to change things is leading to even more death and violence in his attempts to make things better. He says that he can just fix everything and none of this will matter, but at some point when are you just making things worse in an attempt to make things better? 

I kind of wonder if this is all in Davids head, but its him in the first episode when the mutants arrive to break him out and he is deciding what to do next, and this is him trying to guess how things will play out of he goes with them.

• Love 2
On 7/27/2019 at 8:54 AM, superloislane said:

Syd is somewhat catatonic - I'd prefer if she stayed that way

Harsh.

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I kind of wonder if this is all in Davids head, but its him in the first episode when the mutants arrive to break him out and he is deciding what to do next, and this is him trying to guess how things will play out of he goes with them.

The end of that first season, when the little flying ball zapped David into it and took off doesn't seem like a very realistic event, does it?

I don't know, at this point I'm just going to guess that everything is real, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 7/27/2019 at 10:54 PM, superloislane said:

And to be honest Division 3 keep attacking David when he seems to just want to be left alone so they can't be too shocked when he finally attacks back

I mean, David's completely out of control but then his former friends suddenly turned on him and began to repeatedly try to kill him so... 

If you think somebody's going to go crazy and destroy everything, convincing them they need to use violence to survive by repeatedly attacking them seems like a bad plan.

On 7/24/2019 at 1:45 AM, Bruinsfan said:

On 7/27/2019 at 10:57 PM, superloislane said:

I thought they would reveal everything was in David's head in season 2 to explain all the nonsensical parts of that season but they didn't do it. I wonder if it's now too obvious a plot twist for them to actually do it? But I could see it happening.

I thought so last season as well - that at the least Farouk was a dark idea planted in David's mind rather than a separate entity and that most of what happened was a battle within David rather than external to him. 

Certainly, Farouk's actions and behaviours this season suggest he is as desiring of love and family as David now is so in that respect he is David. And with the "Legion" revelation (finally) it makes sense that a part of David could have gained its own autonomy.

Assuming that we know which bits of what is happening actually happened.

On 7/28/2019 at 4:29 AM, Terrafamilia said:

Why not pillage, rape, kill if you can just return to before you did all that and then don't? You can easily end up thinking only your own happiness matters and everyone else's lives serve that happiness. After all, your life might be better/easier but that doesn't necessarily mean the changes you made won't cause who knows how many other people's lives to be worse off?

Could make comment about several religions and their beliefs about forgiveness and the afterlife. But, won't. Just throwing it out there for people to be as intrigued, indifferent and offended as they like.