Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Vegas Surprise

• Start Topic

(edited)

It bugs me how they DO seem to have a lot of parties, and they all involve elaborate costumes, food, etc. I couldn't afford to have all that, all the time. And I doubt they can either. Or does TLC pay for that?

Edited by H.E. Pennypacker
  • Love 3

I can't even comment on the business nonsense so I'll just ask this - can someone tell me how togas tie into a Vegas party theme?  Was it a nod to Caesar's Palace?  Or did the party supply store just didn't have enough boas and masquerade masks?

The wives plan a(nother) surprise party to thank Kody for the Vegas move. The part is Vegas-themed since he tried to sell the idea of the move as a Vegas vacation to the kids.

A really lame episode. The decorations seem like a huge waste of money to me. Christine makes everyone stand up and say the good and the bad about the move. Yeah, they have a MICROPHONE. That must be nice for the neighbors.

• Love 3

On some level I'm going to WK these jokers.  I kind of like that they make celebrations out of things.  They do seem like a happy family (at times) that likes to be together and celebrate - that said?  COSTUMES?  A MICROPHONE????  There were what....20 people there?  Given how we hear these people yell, getting everyone's attention for that shouldn't have been microphone worthy.  Perhaps an outdoor dinner and just all being together would have been more than enough.  Perhaps I'm just not THAT big of a celebrator.

I can't believe these guys got a penny from these "Investors" - half of me wants to email the Browns and say "Look, give me 5 hours, we can at least make it not look like my 10 year old niece put this business together" but I do also really love the idea of watching them crash and burn so I ain't offerin'!

On another note - a good friend of mine has done some volunteer advising at UNLV for an organization that we are both members of and she has met both Logan and Aspyn and said they are just the most down to earth, sweet kids.  It really is the kids that make the 5 adults even remotely redeeming.

• Love 3

I noticed Christine saying they moved to Vegas when they found out they were "being investigated" and she didn't understand "why someone would want to tell on us."

The funniest part of this statement to me is "why would someone want to tell on us?"  You're on national TV, you nit-wit.

• Love 1

You know, I think the party was all kinds of dorky, but the kids were really enjoying it - even the usually cynical Hunter.  There's probably nothing wrong with honoring your father.  From what I've seen of this family, all the children seem to give credit to their mothers (rightfully so), and mock Kody (rightfully so).  The party didn't bother me.  The claim that Kody was uncomfortable because he was the center of attention was a little far fetched.

I was really glad to see emotion from Janelle when talking about how miserable Madison and Hunter were about moving.  First of all, it's just good to validate their feelings, but secondly - Janelle often comes off as cold and not nurturing.  You never see her affectionate with any children other than her own.

• Love 1

The claim that Kody was uncomfortable because he was the center of attention was a little far fetched.

I think he would have been a lot MORE comfortable with just the "best thing about the move" part and not so much the "well, I was suicidal for the first 11 months we lived here/I pretty much felt that you destroyed my life and all my friendships" parts.  

I don't know.  Normally I'd agree, but he seemed pretty dang uncomfortable while all the family was praising him.  I'm not as convinced as some are that he's only in this for fame or attention.  I mean, I'm not saying he always hates it, but I do honestly think he started out doing this show and going public for reasons of principle. That may have changed somewhat since the beginning, but I do think he was originally sincere.

Maybe I'm just naive.

• Love 2

So did anyone else catch that this very conservative dressing, etc family wanted their little girls to dress up as Las Vegas showgirls?  Okay... so I am a burlesque performer so obviously I'm not a prude, but I just thought their line of thinking was a bit weird.

So I don't know if I am allowed to say this but I read tarot and the 4 suits of cards actually correspond to Tarot (the tarot deck was the original playing card deck you see now) so I kept looking for what each wife chose and if it related to her personality.  Hearts (cups) Diamonds (pentacles/coins), Spades (swords) and clubs (clubs/wands).  And I noticed Janelle chose diamonds and  Robyn chose Hearts.  I didn't see what Meri and Christine chose.  Hearts (cups) are the emotional part of the deck, and Diamonds (coins) rule over money, business, things like that. 

• Love 3

Really? A celebrate KoDouche party? Isn't that every fucking day on the cuddle-sac? TLC must have a surplus of tape that is going to go bad if they don't use it. I personally would rather watch a black screen than a party for that whiny little bitch and his one wife and three concubines.

• Love 7

Yeah, I'd like to know how showing us footage back from when they were "forced" to move for the umpteenth time is going to rivet the audience.  I'm just like "ho hum, THIS AGAIN?"  Scraping the barrel!

• Love 1
I suspect the wives threw this party because he has his eye on a prospective wife and want to win back his favor.

HA! That would make this show for me, I would love to see the reaction from the other wives if that happened. Seeing Robyn get her nose pushed in would be priceless.

• Love 2
(edited)

Christine's mangling of the English language bothers me as much as their non-existent decision making skills. Kody was "humblified" by the party. I believe the word she wanted was humbled. Also, the fact that she always pronounces silent g's as in going and doing. It just irks me to no end. The others do it as well, but I notice it the most with Christine. 

Edited by Soobs
  • Love 1

Also, the fact that she always pronounces silent g's as in going and doing. It just irks me to no end. The others do it as well, but I notice it the most with Christine.

Since they all tend to pronounce words the same way, it's probably a regional accent.  I don't believe the g's are silent, unless you're from a region that does not pronounce them.  I don't say goin' or doin'. 

• Love 1

I watched the latest episode on dvr last night and I thought it was weird that they were talking on a microphone when it was just their family there and not a huge party. I think it would have been better for everyone to tell the positive things about moving there since Jody already knew how mad and devastated his family was that they had to move to Vegas. The look on his face showed that he didn't really want to hear all the negativity again and it was supposed to be a "celebrating Kody and the Vegas move" party anyway. I don't understand how they have so much money for these huge over the top parties and commitment celebrations and all the extras like food and decorations when they complain about money being tight and having to stretch their grocery money and live on a tight budget. Unless TLC is paying for all the parties and festivities I don't see how they can pay for all that and the huge graduation party they had for Aspyn and Mariah.

• Love 2

I imagine TLC does pay for most if not all of that party stuff, especially for dumb-ass parties like this one that are only made up as a "plot point" when they've literally got nothing else to film.  It probably comes from the set decoration and costume budgets.

• Love 2

Since they all tend to pronounce words the same way, it's probably a regional accent.  I don't believe the g's are silent, unless you're from a region that does not pronounce them.  I don't say goin' or doin'. 

It may be a regional thing, but I've always found it an odd quirk, too, one that I have particularly heard from Christine. She adds a very hard g sound at the end of words that end with -ing. Instead of go-ING, it sounds like go-INK or do-INK.

Ah - let us remember - it isn't "dating" - it's "courting"

*insert huge eye roll*

...or in Christine-speak, "courtink."

• Love 2

Was the microphone really necessary?  They are so annoying.

LOLed at Ko-Douche's talking head when he started saying "Vegas Vacation" and pretended to be all choked up.  Idiot.  Enough of the melodrama.

It may be a regional thing, but I've always found it an odd quirk, too, one that I have particularly heard from Christine. She adds a very hard g sound at the end of words that end with -ing. Instead of go-ING, it sounds like go-INK or do-INK.

- I have noticed this weirdness too from people all over the US... notable on KUWTK.  Irritates the hell out of me.

So did anyone else catch that this very conservative dressing, etc family wanted their little girls to dress up as Las Vegas showgirls?

Oh my gosh, yes, I was just coming on here to post this!  They said something about how cute it would be if the little girls wore feathers like the "dancing girls" in Vegas.  (By the way, have they learned nothing from that Vegas episode of Dance Moms??)  My immediate thought was "That's sick" but then it occurred to me that maybe they are so sheltered they don't even realize the nature of those Vegas shows/how inappropriate that is?  Otherwise I'm stymied.   

I can't even comment on the business nonsense so I'll just ask this - can someone tell me how togas tie into a Vegas party theme?  Was it a nod to Caesar's Palace?  Or did the party supply store just didn't have enough boas and masquerade masks?

The togas were probably the kindest to their voluptuous kiesters. ( Robyn's not at that stage yet but give her time. She did gain noticeable weight after Solomon. Now that she attained her cherished wish of being the legal Mrs. Brown, those salad days may be over to fit into Victoria Secret stuff.

Omg yes. She looks and dresses so frumpy anymore. Flannel has become the standard Brown family uniform. Their older kids do seem well adjusted to life though. I saw Mykelti and Aspyn joined sororities. Sororities are expensive as well.

• Love 1

Omg yes. She looks and dresses so frumpy anymore. Flannel has become the standard Brown family uniform. Their older kids do seem well adjusted to life though. I saw Mykelti and Aspyn joined sororities. Sororities are expensive as well.

Doubtlessly Robyn now sees herself in a different light: mother of Kody's son & future legal wife. No longer a Victoria Secret-wearing consort.