Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Flight

Are money purses a real thing? Oh yeah, I remember the bride herself going around collecting cash. How tacky.

The abusta. Still pretty common among Italian-Americans, and not seen as tacky; just helping the couple get started.

• Love 2

I just found this Forum and really appreciate people's comments since a lot of the finale was left undefined!  I still think she had tons of her drugs, as well as meds for hurricane victims and was heading somewhere south.  She could still get a plea deal (she did in fact save someone's life on her way to the airport) and IF she really was on a "mercy mission" and still come out of jail clean but with some punishment for her drugs.  I guess we will see next year.  On the topic of "is she finally at the bottom" here's a note from Variety (although I hope they don't drag out the series so much that it's utterly jumped the shark:

:Per Clyde Phillips, executive producer and “Nurse Jackie” showrunner, 

“Our collective sense is that she may not have completely bottomed out just yet,” he reveals, “but she’s damn close…You have to hit the absolute nadir of your life before you can start climbing toward the light, toward health, toward reclaiming your self.  That’s what lies ahead in season seven.”

Random point of trivia, but is there such as a thing as a drug (prescription or other) that can make you pass a drug test? I'm pretty sure there isn't, but I'll gladly click links to reputable sources as it would help me win a recent debate with a friend. 

Are money purses a real thing? Oh yeah, I remember the bride herself going around collecting cash. How tacky.

The money purse is one version but other versions are the money tree, which is a small tree looking structure at the reception that guests pin money on, and the money dance, which is when anyone can dance with the bride if they pin money on her dress. Even though Mr. EB and I paid for our own wedding and could have used the cash, Mr. EB was dead set against doing any of these money things at the reception because, as he said, "I am not going to beg people for money at my wedding." Ha!

I agree that it would have been difficult for either Jackie or her date to be the thief. We saw Kevin and his wife come around with the purse and talk to Jackie and her date. After that, Grace confronted Jackie about bringing a drug dealer to the wedding and Kevin kicked out the date and Jackie in quick succession. Although I don't believe a word that comes out of Jackie's mouth, I think she truly didn't know the money had been stolen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Grace was the thief and I also wouldn't be surprised if the whole "Grace was so upset that we had to cancel our honeymoon" was just a Grace being manipulative and asserting her control over the situation.

• Love 1

she really was on a "mercy mission" and still come out of jail clean but with some punishment for her drugs.

But Gloria had pretty much gave Jackie the ultimatum then and there in the hospital, agree to go to that rehab or lose your license if you test positive.  Would that deal still be available after she's fled and been arrested?

• Love 1
Random point of trivia, but is there such as a thing as a drug (prescription or other) that can make you pass a drug test? I'm pretty sure there isn't, but I'll gladly click links to reputable sources as it would help me win a recent debate with a friend.

A friend of mine was able to pass a pee test at his job with this crazy kit he bought online--but he was just a pothead and I believe the solution (which was very involved and required him to drink this mixture several times over the course of like a week--so it wasn't a "I have one hour to pass a urine test" situation) only worked for marijuana.

I wouldn't imagine there is anything Jackie could have taken that would wipe out the sheer amount of various narcotics in her system--oxy, vicodin, percocets, xanax, dilaudid, morphine, who knows what else.

I could make out Dilaudid, Oxycontin and Vicodin on the bottles so I can't imagine what she had planned for them except to take them herself.

Jackie snorted a pile as she packed for her trip.  No matter what explanation she may have for the drugs in her bag (and I too saw Oxycodone and Vicodin; not the first choice for errands of mercy to hurricane victims) she will surely test as impaired while driving.  As for where she was heading -- her taking a car and not a cab to the airport makes no sense, except to set up the plot.  And even before the traffic jam caused by the accident, she was well overdue to make any international flight.  And did she or Eddie imagine she could bring that amount of prescription narcotics through customs, anywhere?  

I think Jackie was heading to rehab somewhere -- "The only place she can go" -- and bringing with her the pills she was taking at the time, planning to surrender them.  

Okay, I have to say my biggest laugh of the episode was the cop, after eyeing an SUV full of pills, completely deadpan: "Ma'am, have you been driving impaired?"  

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe I haven't been watching closely enough, but did we see Jackie actually coerce Nun Nancy Wood into stealing her name/ID or taking the fall for the stolen DEA number? I was confused how Zoe knew that much detail.

Edited by windowshopper

We saw the nun say to Jackie, something like "You've done so much for me, is there anything at all that I can do for you?"  And Jackie then pulled the curtain around the bed.  I can't remember if Zoey was in that scene (anywhere she could've overheard) or not.  But she did know how much the nun liked Jackie and appreciated her caring for her.  Between that, and seeing the picture she took on that license, that gave her enough to figure it out.

Ours was used just to hold and collect the cards/money from the reception. After we arrived at our hotel that night, it was valet parking before we knew it and our car was parked with all our stuff, including our bag, inside (and it was a rental!)

And Jackie reminds Zoey how much better the nun looked in the photo she took previously.  Zoey pulls it up on her phone and Jackie asks her to send it to her.  I think that's how it went.  Then Zoey recognizes the photo when she sees the driver license after the nun's death (going through her belongings).

• Love 1
(edited)
I think Jackie was heading to rehab somewhere -- "The only place she can go" -- and bringing with her the pills she was taking at the time, planning to surrender them.

I was thoroughly confused on where Jackie was heading, and I don't know that I believe she was going to help hurricane victims but I supposed I can see it in her drug-addled state.

At the same time, I also don't see her going to rehab, unless she planned to take all those pills before entering rehab.  It doesn't seem logical that she would take those pills with her and then turn them over to the rehab place.  Why would she bother doing that?  And why would she fly to rehab?  There are rehab places right where she lives.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1
(edited)

It took me until the end of the ep when Zoe was looking at the picture on the phone again to realize that's where the picture came from, but I noticed right away when they showed the ID that it was Jackie's address and vitals (including DOB). So she must have just gotten the picture put on the existing fake that she showed at the pharmacy.

Jackie forgot to remember the Keep It Simple, Stupid rule. Getting a nun who is on her deathbed to take the rap (if she even told her the reason for it)? Not that elegant a solution, but relatively uncomplicated. How could Jackie be so calculating to think of swiping the phone pic to alter an existing ID and not even consider that somebody would run the stats, or just recognize the address (Zoey even lived there for a while).

She thought that through about as well as the hurried flight to wherever with a suitcase full of pills.

Has she really lost any sense of reality or is it just the "I'm smarter than everybody" hubris that so often comes with addiction?

I think Jackie used the photo Zoey sent her of the nun to make a fake ID with the fake name. Zoey recognized it was the pic she took.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 2

It's a small nit to pick: this ep clearly takes place in winter, the clock in the car read 5pm(ish). In NYC in winter, it's dark at that hour. But the scene on the highway was midday light.

• Love 3

I wouldn't be surprised if Grace was the thief and I also wouldn't be surprised if the whole "Grace was so upset that we had to cancel our honeymoon" was just a Grace being manipulative and asserting her control over the situation.

I, too, think that Grace might have taken the money purse, but it was Fi who was upset and made them cancel their honeymoon.

There were so many clues that Jackie was on her way to help hurricane victims, but then why would Eddie tell Zoe that she's "where she needs to be." Because she's a nurse, and that's all she has? Well, I guess it doesn't matter, since she's now heading to the slammer. I guess. But if so much of the show centers around the hospital and the staff there, how will this be addressed with Jackie in jail, in rehab, or wherever she is or is doing - which is anything BUT a nurse at All Saints. I'm intrigued.

I am intrigued too.  When Gloria offered her two choices (self admit/rehab or testing) I thought that was the "brick wall".  Clever writers get their characters out of seemingly impossible corners.  It was a great "cliff-hanger".  I think next season we see Jackie in court, but get off with some lesser punishment (because she saved a life).  I still think the hurricane scenario makes sense as she had tons of pills--some of which could be to help those victims.  She could have faked papers to show she was on a mercy mission.  The comments about next season makes me think she has found a way out.....for now.  After jail, she could test clean, get probation as first offense for what she was using when she had the accident,  and return to work.  But she must hit the wall eventually, right? :)

I absolutely loved seeing Zoey hand Jackie her ass on on a plate. Jackie has been her hero for so long and Jackie walked in thinking she could steamroll right over Zoey like usual. Nope! Zoey lays down the law.

We saw the replacement nurse come in so bouncy and positive, and then Zoe told her to sit down, shut up and "watch me" to learn the ropes. I wondered if we are going to see Jackie's life continue to crash and burn while Zoe has to toughen up on the job to handle what Jackie's been handling. (Jackie was probably  protecting Zoe for a good while, doing the emotionally wrenching tasks as well as the tougher procedures.) Then we may see ironically that Zoe turns to some substance to cope (for example, alcohol, food or even drugs) while her naivete slowly evaporates and she evolves into another perfectionist control-freak "Jackie".

Then we may see ironically that Zoe turns to some substance to cope (for example, alcohol, food or even drugs) while her naivete slowly evaporates and she evolves into another perfectionist control-freak "Jackie".

Good lord, I hope not.

I was so relieved when Jackie finally stopped and ran back to help the woman crash victim. I couldn't believe she would leave her there. I'm not sure if she was single-handedly responsible for saving her life though, the ambulance came along pretty soon after.

• Love 2

What if this whole season was a dream?

I'll be furious if that's the case, but I don't think they'll actually go there. I think the point of the whole season was for Jackie to hit bottom. I don't see much advantage in taking that away.

Zoey's great, same with Akalitus. Jackie I hated all season, she's just a rotten person. I really hope this is her final fall. I don't want another season of rehab with her falling off the wagon again after she's clean for a few months. My patience and sympathy for the character are gone.

• Love 4