Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Flight

(edited)

Spoiler alert########

How further down does Jackie have to go before she hits rock bottom? She's getting sloppy as an addict, stealing pills from the Pharmacy dude, scheduling fake plastic surgery just to get a prescription, taking her dealer to the wedding, almost killing a patient by overdosing her on insulin! Omg. Zoe needs to get her fired and not cover it up. Too many enablers allow her to be such a fuckup. I'm a nurse and those IV pumps have a setting to prevent those kinds of mistakes. You actually choose the IV drug you are administering and the pump won't let you go beyond a preset maximum. She overrode the setting is her drug high--- she programmed the pump like it was a regular IV bag. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. The patient could have died. Good thing Zoe was standing there, she has become a great nurse. This was a Crappy finale. Lots of questions, no answers. I'm officially over this show and probably won't be back next season. It's just a waste of time at this point

Edited by Spiderella2
(edited)

I'm hoping the reason is that it's a big blowup of a finale and Jackie goes down. Assuming next season is the last I would like for Jackie to start seeing some real consequences; if she slithers out of things miraculously again I will lose my shit.

Edited by Tooch
  • Love 1

Did anyone else figure out where she was going with all those drugs?  It can't be rehab.  But if she was escaping, why drive to the airport and leave her car in paid parking?  And yes, I get that that would be the least of her problems but I just couldn't overlook it.  If she went to JFK instead of LaGuardia, I'm guessing she was flying internationally.  Can you go through security with all those drugs?  

• Love 1
(edited)

With the focus on the hurricane that's been a background plot for a few weeks, I thought she was going to go down there and do volunteer work. In an early scene, the newscaster in the background was saying they needed medical personnel. And they showed Jackie desperately wanting to be a nurse/help people all episode.

So I figured her big plan was to fly to the hurricane zone, volunteer, become a rock star medical hero, and get some sort of service award/media attention that would force them to take her back at All Saints next season because it would be great publicity. I was so sure this was where it was going that I 30-second-skipped ahead when she got back in her car, because I figured it was leading into the final scene of her being on the plane. And thus, I was confused when my skip ended in the crash aftermath.

Well played, show.

ETA: I love Zoey and Gloria. They do get played by Jackie, but they took no shit tonight.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1
(edited)

@ kieyra - I like how your explanation ties-in the ongoing hurricane story. Plus, a desire to volunteer counters the depressing slide into total selfishness that Jackie's taken over the course of the season.  Around 22:04 there's a close-up of the boarding pass; however, all I could see clearly was the name of the airlines -- Transroute Air.  The Transroute Air prompted me to think she intended to flee the country on an international flight,  maybe even to sell drugs for income in Mexico, Central, or South America. The music playing as Jackie packed (~ 18:45)  sounded Latin-influenced,  so I made that sloppy connection.

I prefer the hurricane rescue heroine angle.

Edited by unlabyrinth
  • Love 1

I thought I saw "Dominican" on some papers on the passenger seat but not positive.

Zoey was awesome confronting Jackie. Jackie was flummoxed for once. Edie and Merritt were both superb in that scene.

I guess Jackie is the new orange now.

• Love 4

So Peter Facinelli's leaving the show - just as Coop finds out that Carrie is pregnant with his child. My first thought was, "Please, God, let this mean that Dr. Roman is leaving, too."

Maybe he'll get the job of his dreams somewhere far away at the beginning of next season (he'll be back for a few episodes), and she'll move away with him.

Re: the accident, maybe this is Jackie's version of what happened to Antoinette with her car crash. And Antoinette killed someone - maybe Jackie did, too?

Maybe nursing is an addiction too, more than the one thing that redeems her.

At least this season, they smashed the veneer of functional competence in a respected field despite the addiction.

Or maybe, her profession enabled her addiction all these years.

• Love 4

I thought they did a pretty good job finally in shredding any last bits of Jackie as redeemable. It seems that even her addiction to nursing is about filling what would otherwise be empty or boring moments in her existence, and it's just the crutch that she pulls herself up with. Everything kind she initiates is about blurring an anxiety or escaping consequences, and it was kind of an awesome scene when she went to beg Grace for a girl's day out and instead was met with threats of their new (step)mother's lawyer. Her return to Eddie was pretty sickening too, but she chose the right chump clearly; this guy will give her all of the accolades and all of the drugs and never asks for anything in return. 

I love Zoey and Gloria. They do get played by Jackie, but they took no shit tonight.

God, that felt like a deep breath I've been waiting to take for a year or so! At first I thought "typical Showtime" when Zoey wandered off in the meeting and made no mention of the ID, but every scene afterward was more glorious than the last. (Sidenote: just caught young Merritt Weaver on a rerun of an early L&O: CI last week and it blew my mind: she was soooo good in that.)

I guess they'll just go all Nancy Botwin and make her the narcissist who basically dies alone. I mean, that's pretty much all I've seen Showtime do with any of their original series?!

• Love 1

I know I shouldn't be surprised by anything after what Jackie did to Antoinette, but when she threw Jackie lied about Carrie being the one who made the mistake, I was like damn, Jackie really has no hesitation burning things down to the ground. The fact that she stopped to help at the accident mad eme think that there still might be hope for her yet. It's sad to see how she treats the people who love her but she is so good at helping total strangers.

Oh, Eddie, you poor sucker. Just when I think that you're out, she pulls you back in!

Poor Zoe. She loved Jackie so much and always believed in her. Going to Akolitis must have been so hard for her. Hee, Rosa is the new Zoe. Zoe has her own Zoe now!

• Love 2

At least this season, they smashed the veneer of functional competence in a respected field despite the addiction.

Or maybe, her profession enabled her addiction all these years.

That is what has always bugged me about this show - that Jackie, who throws cocktails of pills (and other things) down as often as every few hours, is supposedly functional. How ridiculous is that. At least her utter selfishness came out eventually. I never liked the portrayal of her as a superhero of sorts as if her addiction was not such a big deal in light of her medical awesomeness. I've worked with compromised nurses, and they are an absolute disaster. Their medical judgment goes out the window. It doesn't matter how smart or capable they are without the drugs. Drugs impair people. Period.

/rant

• Love 4

IF Jackie is going to help hurricane victims----the pills Eddie gave her could be antibiotics and other meds to help those victims.  I can't imagine she could get those pills through airport security without some kind of documentation.  Maybe underscores where she was going.  Of course she did have her "meds" too which is probably how they could arrest her.  I guess we'll see next season!

• Love 2

I chortled with delight as the cards tumbled down tonight...what a disgusting character she is. Even in stopping to help those people I see very little redeeming in her...it's ego because she thinks she can deal with it better than anyone. 

Things that bugged....why doesn't Eddie ever get busted for giving her inventory? Those pills have to show up as missing.  Two, did we see Jackie take the money purse from the wedding?   Three, who was going to watch the girls for Kevin's honeymoon? 

Things that did not bug...the acting, as always, was terrific.  MW and EF are amazing together.

• Love 4

Did we see Eddie give her the pills? I might have blinked and missed it. I know he handed her what I assume were travel documents or something, and obviously he agreed to take care of Slippers (I've been expecting that dog to die at Jackie's hands somehow all season), but I didn't know he gave her the pills.

Good call about them possibly being a red herring or something innocuous, though. It would also explain why she didn't seem concerned about having such a large quantity lying around willy-nilly in her suitcase. Also, those pills were colored, and don't we normally see her slamming generic white capsules this season? (I know the show takes great liberty with 'drugs' but I'm guessing there's a reason they looked different.)

• Love 1

That is what has always bugged me about this show - that Jackie, who throws cocktails of pills (and other things) down as often as every few hours, is supposedly functional. How ridiculous is that. At least her utter selfishness came out eventually. I never liked the portrayal of her as a superhero of sorts as if her addiction was not such a big deal in light of her medical awesomeness. I've worked with compromised nurses, and they are an absolute disaster. Their medical judgment goes out the window. It doesn't matter how smart or capable they are without the drugs. Drugs impair people. Period.

/rant

There's no question that drugs impair people. (And all along they've shown that the drugs impair Jackie, to a certain extent. Very early on in the series - I'm pretty sure it was the pilot - Jackie made a careless mistake with an IV and nearly killed someone, just like in this season.)

But my guess is that, in addition to the nurses you worked with who were very obviously impaired, there were also some others who were on something without any of their co-workers knowing about it.

Like Jackie, those nurses wouldn't be as capable when high as they would be sober, but they'd also function well enough so as not to be disasters.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow I was quite impressed.  I thought that Jackie would miraculously figure out some way to slip through the noose yet again without any consequences.  I love Akalitus (well the actress, anyway) and I was thrilled to see her return somewhat to her Season 1 character (why did they completely change her character in the first place?). 

I thought the scene with Grace outside of Kevin's house was tremendous acting on Falco and even Grace's part.  Did the dealer boy toy steal the moneybag?  I don't think Jackie did.

What exactly was Jackie trying to accomplish by running away?  Would she come back after a couple of weeks clean and then use the excuse that they never caught her with drugs in her system?  But that theory is shot to hell when you consider she had an entire suitcase full of pills.  Would she even get through airport security with all that?  That was seriously enough drugs to last her for weeks if not months. 

Still I was pretty impressed that they brought her to that point and I love the way they unexpectedly got there.

Edited to add--should have read before posting.  Yes I guess Jackie was going to help the hurricane victims.  Still I dont see how that would solve any of her problems at home. And Eddie just can't give out bottles of pills like that willy nilly.

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 1

If Jackie stole that huge money bag then she stuffed it somewhere that I don't want to think about. I mean it was kind of a big scene where everyone was staring at her and watched her walk out. I don't see how she thought Jackie stole or maybe they think Jackie shoving him into the table was some sort of a diversion?

When she went to Eddie for some reason I was thinking she wanted a mix of whatever makes you pass a drug test, then I thought it was some out of the country rehab, I didn't get where he was sending her. So she was just going to show up at a disaster site and start helping, seems like someone would be in charge maybe verifying drs/nurses?

anyway she has officially turned into House-I'm a drug addict but a saint that can cure/help everyone-nope, not buying it

• Love 2

I don't get why everyone is willing to risk so much for Jackie. Even before this season she treated them all badly. Akalitus was giving Jackie, a drug addict, Vicodin on the job from her own prescription, something which is both illegal and unethical. The Akalitus of old would have looked into how pain management is handled for recovering addicts, not take Jackie's word on it. And she didn't even do it the way Jackie suggested, she got the prescription in her own name. Eddie giving Jackie all those pills blew my mind, he knows she used him previously for drugs, he helped her through detox and now he's just giving her a bag of pills? They all know there's a DEA investigation going on, don't they care about their own livelihoods? Zoey could be charged with obstruction of justice for holding onto the Nancy Wood ID and not telling what she knows. Why haven't we seen the DEA agent around asking for the ID and interviewing those who dealt with nun "Nancy Wood". Better yet, why didn't the DEA just go to the pharmacy where Nancy Wood was getting prescriptions filled and ask to see surveillance video.

And maybe I'm cynical, but I don't believe Carrie is pregnant, especially by Mr. Low Motility.

Maybe being with Eddie now, Slippers will get all the pain medication he/she needs, since Jackie was keeping it for herself. To me, that was one of the lowest things she did to feed her addiction. The bitch.

And I'm totally not buying that Jackie hitting the ambulance at a relatively low speed would make all of those pills fly out of the bottles. Bottles with screw on and safety caps. Or maybe the hard plastic bottles broke open. I can see a few bottles coming out of the suitcase since she left it unzipped, but the pill carnage they showed was ridiculous.

• Love 3

My guess is that her drug dealing date made off with the cash from the wedding.

I like the idea of Jackie flying to help where ever the natural disaster happened and maybe just maybe all those pills were anti malaria meds that she would use for good...maybe. The accident could not have caused all those pills to bust out of their bottles, it seemed like she had just started to move ahead when she ran in to the ambo, wouldn't her airbags have been deployed if the impact was that great?

Jail is the ultimate rehab so this was a blessing in disguise, can't wait to see what happens, how long till the next season?

I like the idea of Jackie flying to help where ever the natural disaster happened and maybe just maybe all those pills were anti malaria meds that she would use for good...maybe.

I could make out Dilaudid, Oxycontin and Vicodin on the bottles so I can't imagine what she had planned for them except to take them herself. And as many as she takes, that stash wouldn't have lasted her too long. I too thought what someone else mentioned, that Jackie was asking Eddie for something to make a drug test come out clean.

• Love 1

PS.  We don't see Eddie actually take the pills from the pharmacy and give them to her, but we do see him put them in her suitcase, in the car, when he gives her the flight info, boarding pass, and cash.  He takes handfulls of them and puts them in her suitcase.  Its their farewell scene where he says he'll go with her.

understand why Jackie didn't even consider rehab. S

What Gloria was insisting on, Diversion, was rougher than regular rehab (It's not a slap on the wrist')  She would have been on probation, probably with frequent drug tests, and a sharp pay cut.  The one thing we can be sure about Jackie's personality is that she does not take kindly in being told what to do.

Good call on all of you positing that Jackie was flying down to help Hurricane victims.  At first, I was just glad they didn't leave us with an outrageous cliff-hanger of Jack flying off to parts unknown.  But the Hurricane thing kinda smooths over the crazier-looking things in her getaway. That massive mountain of pill bottles are meant for more than her personal use. (Where the hell does Eddie get them all from?)  And didn't she say something earlier to him about finding some kind of 'time machine.'  Maybe that's how she started out as a nurse.

And yup, I think drug-dealer boy snatched the money bag. (Outside of 'Goodfellas', I didn't think people did that at weddings anymore.)

Yeah, I totally didn't get that she was going to help the hurricane victims until you guys suggested it, so good call. I assumed she was going somewhere to detox but didn't pay much attention to the actual meds so I wasn't sure.

I was glad to see Kevin's wife finally get pissy. About time. And yes, I am sure drug dealer guy took the money. Even Fi is over Jackie.

• Love 1

Thanks for the clarification that Eddie did in fact give her what seems to be a large quantity of narcotics. That...is insane, even for this show. Although I suppose it's why she slept with him again.

I read Jackie's reaction to the money-bag theft as sincere, meaning I don't think she took it. 

• Love 1

I don't see the dealer as having the opportunity to steal the bag either. Not with what was shown. I'm definitely leaning towards Grace on that one.

Totally agree. I can see Grace setting her mother up for that. As much bad behavior as Grace may have learned from Jackie, along with her already existing issues & teenage angst, deception may be her idea of the ultimate achievement.  "I'm better at this than you ever were, mother."

That's just scary.

• Love 2

I don't see the dealer as having the opportunity to steal the bag either. Not with what was shown. I'm definitely leaning towards Grace on that one.

You may be right about that but now I am thinking that maybe Phoebe may have taken it and might be "acting out" a bit in response to her father getting married.

Totally agree. I can see Grace setting her mother up for that. As much bad behavior as Grace may have learned from Jackie, along with her already existing issues & teenage angst, deception may be her idea of the ultimate achievement.  "I'm better at this than you ever were, mother."

That's just scary.

How very Vida a la Mildred Pierce.

• Love 3

Two, did we see Jackie take the money purse from the wedding?

Are money purses a real thing? Oh yeah, I remember the bride herself going around collecting cash. How tacky.

I'd guess they threw in that part about the purse being stolen just to up the ante for that scene where Grace tells her to get lost. There isn't really anything to threaten her with just for being at their wedding high on pills or bringing a drug dealer as a date.

I absolutely loved seeing Zoey hand Jackie her ass on on a plate. Jackie has been her hero for so long and Jackie walked in thinking she could steamroll right over Zoey like usual. Nope! Zoey lays down the law.

• Love 1

Yes, I liked how Jackie kept using different approaches to try to handle Zooey in that scene. First, cajoling her and then switching to more imperioius 'I'm-still-your-supervising-nurse.'  And Zooey was having none of it.

• Love 1
(edited)

You may be right about that but now I am thinking that maybe Phoebe may have taken it and might be "acting out" a bit in response to her father getting married.

How very Vida a la Mildred Pierce.

Who's Phoebe? 

ETA post below: 

Although I imagine [Merritt Weaver/Zoey] has a ton of other options.

Dear lord, I hope so. I suspect that she's the only reason I've gotten through a couple of the more mediocre seasons of this show. She is brilliant. 

Edited by kieyra
(edited)

Zoey/MW was fantastic this episode. I knew she was great with the one liners, etc., but to see her so sad when Eddie told her that Jackie took off......she deserved a hug from me. And yeah, Jackie is one very unlikable character, but Edie Falco keeps me tuned in. Great ending for a show that has probably used up it's useful life.  I imagine season 7 will be the last. If Jackie wiggles out of this one, even I may have to give up.

When I watched the scene of Zoey being introduced to the new younger nurse, it felt like a spin off was being set up. Although I imagine MW has a ton of other options.

Edited by SaabStory
Yes, I liked how Jackie kept using different approaches to try to handle Zooey in that scene. First, cajoling her and then switching to more imperioius 'I'm-still-your-supervising-nurse.'  And Zooey was having none of it.

I was as proud of a fictional character as it is humanly possible to be during that scene. When Jackie, getting increasingly frantic, pulled out her "well maybe you're part of the problem here!" my jaw hit the floor. Like, oh, Jackie. You can't gaslight Zoe. Zoe, who knows more--and cares more--about what's going on with your daughters than you do. Zoe, the one they turn to in crisis, because she's solid. You can't make her doubt herself, you despicable shrew.

I liked a LOT about this, mainly Zoe and Akalitus getting a damn clue, but I would have liked the ending a lot more if it was just the car accident followed by EMTs/cops determining she was impaired and arresting her. Even if it turns out Eddie gave her pills for hurrican victims, that just doesn't really make that much sense. Jackie trying and failing to flee federal charges because of her fear of rehab and her devastation over losing her daughters? Yes, that makes sense. Jackie on some weird, pharmacy-fueled redemption mission? I don't get it.

And I hope they pretty please address next season why Eddie has zero consequences for the abundance of ways he has contributed--knowingly and unknowingly--to Jackie's drug addiction. Whatever happened to the bottle of pills she stole last week? Don't pharmacists have to account for their opiate inventory and wouldn't Eddie's ass be on a pike if an entire bottle of painkillers went missing?

• Love 3

I really hope that next season doesn't start with Jackie having taken something earlier in the day from Eddie to wipe out a positive drug test, and for the pills in her car to be malaria or antibiotics.  If so, we would see the DUI charges dropped and Jackie seems to need some consequences at this point.  It is impossible to prove who stole the wedding money (and it could very well have been the daughter or drug dealer).

(edited)

She was arrested. Never being arrested myself, I assumed that she was either under the influence OR refused to be tested OR the drugs they found were somehow illegally obtained or of illegal quantities.  Would she have been arrested if she was sober and all the pills were antibiotics? Would the quantity alone, regardless of what they were, be a reason for an arrest as opposed to being brought in for questioning?   

(Or should I stop watching Law and Order?)

Edited by SaabStory
  • Love 1

I was coming here to post that exact same thought.  As others have pointed out, Jackie and drug boy's ejection from the wedding was pretty public - it was damn near a 'walk of shame' - unless there was/is some retconning or camera trickery, I'm totally going with Grace as the guilty culprit on this one too.

Re:  the money purse.  I'm related to some 'old school' Italians and as recently as last summer, the money purse was alive and well present at the wedding of one of their daughters.  On the Irish side, we still do 'hope chests' for the girls, too.

• Love 1

Who's Phoebe? 

ETA post below: 

Dear lord, I hope so. I suspect that she's the only reason I've gotten through a couple of the more mediocre seasons of this show. She is brilliant. 

I thought Fi was short for Phoebe.