Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E22: Hakeem Jeffries, Josh Barro, Jennifer Granholm, Buck Sexton, and Marianne Williamson

• Start Topic

Airs August 2, 2019

Hakeem Jeffries, Josh Barro, Jennifer Granholm, Buck Sexton, and Marianne Williamson

Bill can piss me off with his audience admonishment sometimes (read: every fucking time), but I’m always glad when the show is back from break.

I admit, I didn’t watch the debates. It’s still too early and the field is still too large for me to invest much in any one person right now; I’m waiting for the quarterfinals. I remember hearing Marianne’s name come up in the post-debate chatter, though, so my interest was piqued when I saw she was a guest.

She’s fucking earnest, isn’t she? She’s not the opposite of Trump, but on the opposite end of the same spectrum, if that makes sense. Seems like the type of person who teaches outdoor yoga for free on the second Saturday of every month...I like her. And it was hilarious when she leaned into Bill’s frame when he made an allusion to her.

Bill: “She said she took dictation for Jesus.”

Marianne: [shrugs] “Well...” 😂

The guy in the middle of the panel came off as a smug prick, and spoke about 50% too much.

How about that crazy guy in the audience? Most people would heckle by just launching into whatever ridiculous rant they had planned, but he actually called out Bill’s name to get his attention, like he was a member of the panel or something. I found that so odd. Bill: “We need to get faster security people.” 😆

Not a bad episode, but not great, either.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

What the hell? I would have been scared sitting next to that guy. I know he had hecklers on his show in the past, but that was really out there. One thing I dislike about his audience now is that they became almost Jerry Springer level obnoxious.

• Love 2

I’m half black and hearing a conversation about reparations on a national stage is interesting, but if the eventual Democratic nominee were to include that as a part of their platform, I’d say hello to another four years of Trump. I think Marianne is a nice woman, but for now don’t include reparations in your talking points. The main goal is to defeat Trump, as Maher said. Also, I can’t help but wonder how much of that kind of discussion is simply pandering to a certain demographic  - not saying Marianne is pandering, but just with the candidates in general. 

• Love 15

I actually like a lot of what Marianne Williamson says but it’s probably not going to win the presidency ( and maybe that isn’t what she’s trying to accomplish ). It’s actually a shame that in order to be President you have to be a douche or only concerned with corporate America & lie to the rest of the people.

• Love 5

I stopped watching this show for a while, and watching this episode reminded me why.  Bill is going to say whatever pleases his corporate masters.  Encouraging people to vote for a candidate, "even if you don't like him" is not going to get people to the polls, Bill.  We saw that the last time.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, link417 said:

Bill can piss me off with his audience admonishment sometimes (read: every fucking time), but I’m always glad when the show is back from break.

Yeah I really really wish he would drop the whiny lecturing the audience BS when a joke doesn't land. It's one of the top 3 improvements he could make to the show along with having more women and fewer fillibustering cable news pundits and doing his homework before discussing issues on the show. I would think Mr. Proud Old School Comic would handle it like an old pro, but maybe the old school thing is more about casual misogyny and not fact checking if a joke works and not about the parts like being able to come up with a saver if a joke doesn't work?

She’s fucking earnest, isn’t she? She’s not the opposite of Trump, but on the opposite end of the same spectrum, if that makes sense. Seems like the type of person who teaches outdoor yoga for free on the second Saturday of every month...

Yeah and speaking of Bill's annoying tics - when you keep saying that you think people are crazy or full of it or talking nonsense or whatever, but "we agree about medicine" maybe it means that you need to take a serious look at your beliefs in the area?

51 minutes ago, babs1226 said:

I stopped watching this show for a while, and watching this episode reminded me why.  Bill is going to say whatever pleases his corporate masters.  Encouraging people to vote for a candidate, "even if you don't like him" is not going to get people to the polls, Bill.  We saw that the last time.

??? Not sure how arguing not to make the perfect the enemy of the good is about "pleasing his corporate masters"? I mean he's certainly done things only to please his corporate bosses like the years he spent bringing on B-list stars with second-tier HBO projects to promote and not allowing racists and d-bags to spew their talking points basically unchallenged on the show to generate buzz, but I don't see his advocating a degree of pragmatism as fitting into that category. And speaking of last time his analysis of that election was on point and he was the only major topical comedian to grasp from the beginning that only voting for a candidate you are in love with is a recipe for disaster.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, link417 said:

I admit, I didn’t watch the debates. It’s still too early and the field is still too large for me to invest much in any one person right now; I’m waiting for the quarterfinals

In OT Bill said exactly what I've been saying about these so called debates. I won't watch. All I'd be saying is, "you should vote for me because I'm an adult and I won't embarrass you." Really, worth a GOP senate not much is getting passed. Maybe focus more on foreign policy where you can do something. If I were running, I wouldn't even bother with the debates right now. 

I listen to LRC every Friday! Josh didn't talk nearly enough because of the gas bag in the middle. 

I think the professor was most correct - focus on the issues in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania. It's also a commentary on why the elections are wrong. 

I don't get what Buck is saying about the senate bills. OK, there's stuff in them maybe that isn't needed, but he won't even bring them to the floor for debate. Also he didn't seem to have a response for how much more money do you need - $400 million. Congress clearly doesn't have a problem spending money so why not on this issue. 

• Love 5

Bills final New Rule was really out of touch. Trump Fatigue is caused by the media, not Trump. It’s one thing to say Trump tweets too much or isn’t “Presidential” enough, but let’s not act like the mainstream media hasn’t spent the last three years crying wolf over every tweet or sideways ass comment he makes. Scandal-mongering didn’t stop Bush from getting re-elected, so I kind of doubt it’ll work against Trump. I can ignore Trump’s tweets by not reading them. I can’t, however, if every week I’m being inundated with media tattletales mulling over his latest diatribe. 

• Love 9

A reminder of the site-wide rules for posting about politics:

We do not allow any discussion of Politicians, Political bodies (Congress, Parliament) Political Movements or Political Parties, including jokes and asides, unless those entities are specifically mentioned on an episode of the show being discussed, or in editorial content about that episode. Even when this applies, they may be discussed ONLY in the context of the show. This means no elaboration, speculation or using what was said as a springboard to voice your political thoughts generally.

Trump is the first president that puts out a press conference (tweets) multiple times a day and the media covers it because off the stuff that is said.

The media has been tilting elections every since the TV was invented and people could watch debates live on TV instead of hearing them on the radio. People had to look good to get elected instead of having something important to do.

The debates don't matter in the slightest. 

• Love 2
On 8/3/2019 at 12:16 AM, link417 said:

The guy in the middle of the panel came off as a smug prick, and spoke about 50% too much.

He is why I deleted the rest of the program after the first 5 minutes of the panel discussion. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1