Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Everything’s Changed

(edited)

I don't know what to think of this episode.  I find it far fetched that the New York bar would become involved in the day to day operation of a law firm.  I am an attorney( not in NY), and my state bar would send a disciplinary notice to the attorney advising of suspension ot disbarment and offering a chance for a hearing. The individual attorney may then suspended or disbarred, but the bar association would not come and take over the operation of the firm.  I realize they need drama but that was just dumb.

Are we really to believe that Harvey felt remorseful for having sex with Donna?  Harvey told Donna that he would not have done it if he had known that she and Thomas had not officially broken up beforehand.  Then, later in the episode, he dropped the guilt feelings and was ready to sleep with Donna at Mike's place.  So what was the point of the angst about Thomas?  Are they setting up a future confrontation between Thomas and Harvey?

It was a nice seeing Gabriel Macht's father, Stephen, on the show.  I would like to see them in a scene together.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Useful 3

So I only watched the previous season finale once and that was a while ago, and I was multi-tasking during this premiere, but has Donna really apologized to anyone, and how "complete" was that apology?  I'm not talking about saying "I'm sorry" and leaving it at that, but explicitly acknowledging what she did?  All I picked up on in this episode was her approaching Samantha and saying she isn't sure she would do anything differently if she could turn back time.  (!!!  She doesn't have real remorse because nothing bad happened to her.)  And somehow, that doesn't incense Samantha, who tells Donna that Zane sacrificed himself as penance for something he did for her.  That doesn't mean Donna's off the hook!  She created the situation that Robert sacrificed himself for.  Someone was going to have to take the fall, regardless of what motivated Robert to.  What consequences is Donna specifically going to face?  Besides finally getting her man and fucking him in his best friend's old apartment??  The state bar stepping in is consequences for everyone.

And geez, that's not how it works!  Your firm's reputation is in the toilet and clients have lost faith in you, but the clients go with whatever horse-trading decisions partners at two rival legal firms make??  Harvey gives up some of his own clients and then it's no problem-o keeping Zane's?  Like if Kaldor isn't trying to poach them anymore, the clients take back putting Harvey's firm in review and say, "nah, never mind, we're happy to stick with you, no concerns here!"  And Harvey's old clients would be like, "yeah, I don't have a relationship with Kaldor (or Rand), but we'll pay huge money for legal fees to whoever has our file."  ???

Certainly, there are many other shows that are consistently unrealistic, down to the core of what's happening, but now that Suits does this all the time, the drama and tension is just so, so empty to me.

• Love 2

All this drama about whether or not to keep Zane's name on the wall, and no one thought to just ask him?

"Hi Robert. Hey, now that you're a disgraced lawyer in everyone's eyes, we're going to take your name off the wall.  You understand, right? Yeah, we know you didn't do it, but all our clients are bailing on us. At the very least, don't make us have to look at Eric Kaldor's hair any more.  Okay cool, thanks."

Instead, the State Yar Bar comes in and takes over running the firm? WTF?

• Love 1

Zane Specter Litt etc. has had so many of its name and senior partners resign in apparent disgrace, it is surprising anyone would stay with the firm. Hardman, Darby, Pearson and now Zane.

I do hate how Suits acts as though clients are poker chips to be traded rather than individuals who may or may not want to hook up with new lawyers.

I join in thinking the notion that a state bar could take a firm over based on an ethical violation that got a partner disbarred, or even a run of ethical violations like Zane Specter Litt has experienced. 

I also dislike how they tried to exonerate Donna and Harvey for getting it on while she was still involved with whatshisface. I call BS on Harvey thinking that they had broken up already

• Love 2

Bleh, I'm not thrilled about Donna and Harvey. How many times is the show going to this well? AFAIC they're a sad substitute for Rachel and Mike.

During that scene where Lewis completely missed why Harvey was at Donna's apartment I kept thinking, "Phrasing!"

Oh hey, it's Tasha Yar!

(edited)

I thought it was odd that it was not awkward the morning after Donna and Harvey slept together.  Most couples would have some sort of conversation to make sense of what happened.  They went to work like it was no big deal.  I realize that they slept together once years ago,  but they both changed a lot since then.  I think there should be a more developed adjustment from close friends and co-workers to being a couple. 

In season 7, Harvey resisted Donna when she said she wanted more. He was also shown in therapy over his relationship issues and problems from his childhood.  I  would think his issues would come up again.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 1

OK .  Finally saw the first episode of season 9.  Busy, busy, busy.

Anyway, I am also amazed that a law firm just gives up half their client list.  Is that even legal?  Ethical?  Does this mean they have to drop members of their staff? 

I also noticed that, for a show that features lawyers, there are very few scenes where these hotshot lawyers actually perform in court.

• Love 1
On 8/23/2019 at 1:01 PM, grommit2 said:

Anyway, I am also amazed that a law firm just gives up half their client list.  Is that even legal?  Ethical?  Does this mean they have to drop members of their staff? 

As people here have pointed out every time this happens, it doesn't make any sense. No law firm "owns" a client. 

I wish they'd show what happened the next day. "Hey, Zane Specter Litt and the other two gave you to us in some kind of late night shady deal. We'll be representing you from now on."

"The hell you will be!"