Type keyword(s) to search

Daytime Emmys: This Year, It's Actually on TV…Oops, Spoke Too Soon

• Start Topic

On 3/23/2017 at 3:20 PM, Cheyanne11 said:

I'm guessing LA submitted her confrontation scenes with Alexis or Sonny for the Parker story, but, man, I think LA is such a weak actress.  Her go-to is 'smug asshole.'  

I wonder if it was from this hilariously bad scene

giphy.gif&key=84e7c1b5c91da15c33bbdbaf85

giphy.gif&key=340b507f864feec443bc4fd934

• Love 3
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

The hopping! I can't!

I remember folks raving about it being an emmy worthy performance and when I watched it looked like she was throwing a tantrum. She's just such a bad actress.

They did change some rules this year.  Nominees for acting can submit up to four episodes for a 20 min reel.  (used to be two-  reels must still be from 2016) Writing nominees can now submit 2 episodes from 2016, rather than one.  (so can talk shows)  

Which kind of answers the question-   what did Frank submit for TRi, JVP, etc.  I'll guess the Carlos/Sonny confrontation,  Sabrina giving birth, Anna/ Carlos on the pier, and either Julian killing him or him haunting Julian.  All of that happened in 2016.

As for TRi, I'm gonna guess the episodes are from Jan- March and when Morgan stole his car.  Which is probably why he didn't enter it himself.    

• Love 1
1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

It's not quite apples to apples, but there's no GH rep in the best actor category.

Which is hilarious and beautiful! But I'd love it if GH managed to not get nommed for best drama, or really any of them, just because it'd be super funny.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It's not quite apples to apples, but there's no GH rep in the best actor category.

Considering that GH is The Maurice Show now..... it does speak volumes imo.  He can't blame writing,  as Sonny got the full golden god edit.  

• Love 2
On 3/22/2017 at 3:23 PM, Oracle42 said:

He's sucked for awhile but I think Guza and co. were better at writing to his (limited) strengths. And I don't think it would be such a big deal except that FV lost TG, SBu and JT - and his underwear models, Y&R gets and OLTL replacements haven't exactly caught fire

Oh! And FV fired SK, RB and TC. He's basically driven away or fired every lead male except MB - while giving ME 4 different characters and giving RoHo 4 different redemptions and 3 front burner love interests.

And now, for some unfathomable reason, they can't dredge up even one lead actor nom. That's FV's fault

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Oracle42 said:

Oh! And FV fired SK, RB and TC. He's basically driven away or fired every lead male except MB - while giving ME 4 different characters and giving RoHo 4 different redemptions and 3 front burner love interests.

And now, for some unfathomable reason, they can't dredge up even one lead actor nom. That's FV's fault

He also screwed BM over by telling him nothing about what he was playing.  Dude won best actor 3 years in a row.  Now, he can't get a nom.  I saw Y&R.  The material wasn't perfect, but it made sense.  You can't watch GH reels now and judge them fairly because they make no sense

• Love 2
15 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

They judge from the reels, right? So it doesn't matter if the show itself isn't making sense. 

I meant that their reels make no sense at all.  I noticed the past few years watching reels from other shows and then reels from GH that it's hard to judge the actual performance when the reel itself is incoherent.   That stems from a show that is completely incoherent.   You should want to see the entire show if the reel is good-   not have to because it's not comprehensive.   Example:   can you actually pinpoint which episodes GH chose to get nominated?   or JVP,  TeRi, etc 's reels? The only one I'm about 95% on is LW because Carly had a big story year with her son dying and being mentally ill.  I guess CD put scenes from Sabrina dying.  Case in point:   Mo not getting nominated-  has to be either MB picked a very bad reel or Sonny had quantity and not quality.   He is the lead,  so he should get nominated.   At least on paper.  (And I am not a MB nor Sonny fan )

I think the crying/hopping above should be a picture for the Lexi Ainsworth T-shirt line. One of those holographic prints where it moves with a change in the light. With letters above it, "BAD DAY!" I might even order one then.   

• Love 3
On 3/30/2017 at 11:13 AM, Oracle42 said:

I was thinking who are lead actors are, and it's just MB and RHo. And they're both absolutely terrible. So yeah, definitely no one but FV's fault.

• Love 5
(edited)

It's kinda weird that Burgi didn't get a pre-nom . . . maybe he didn't consider himself a lead actor or he didn't want to submit. I can picture him not wanting a daytime emmy, actually.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4

I dunno. He was on contract, and then they tried to retcon a lot of bullshit before they decided that was a dumb idea I guess. I'm still kinda confused as to who actually shot Sonny.

• Love 3
(edited)

Burgi was contract? I didn't know that. I wonder if he insisted on that so his schedule would be regular.

I'm with you, ulkis, that he probably doesn't care about/want a Daytime Emmy. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, ulkis said:

I dunno. He was on contract, and then they tried to retcon a lot of bullshit before they decided that was a dumb idea I guess. I'm still kinda confused as to who actually shot Sonny.

I'm pretty sure we watched Paul shoot Sonny but they kept up the Carlos did it until Paul left so I guess we were supposed to forget that retcon too. 

• Love 4

So I went to look at Kelly Sullivan's reel because I was curious on her material because I don't think she's that great, and indeed, it's a 4 minute clip that features Sharon Case just as much as her. Man, how bad were the other supporting actress pre-noms that she got in?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Chairperson Meow said:

Wow.  Lexi's was terrible.  Just....atrocious.  The Nelle one had her being not nice to Morgan, so there's that.  And she actually tried.  

I have no clue why Lexi's being hyped as the frontrunner  when she's the worst reel of the nominees in her category. Very cut and paste with alot of overacting. Chloe is such a flat actress and MB outshined her in her reel.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, In2You said:

I have no clue why Lexi's being hyped as the frontrunner  when she's the worst reel of the nominees in her category. Very cut and paste with alot of overacting. Chloe is such a flat actress and MB outshined her in her reel.

I don't think Chloe is bad.  She's better in scenes with CD, BC, and LW for sure.  Mo is just weird with his choices and it doesn't come off correctly.  I don't think either she not Lexi have a shot though.  There's a reason why Hunter King always wins.  She at least picks decent reels.  I don't even understand the reasoning behind most of Lexi's reel.  

• Love 1
On 4/13/2017 at 10:53 PM, Chairperson Meow said:

Tequan Richmond's reel

Now hang on for Bry Dawg

I'm still glad Bry Dawg is gone, but that was a pretty good reel. I hated him and am glad he's off the show, but those were good performances. Better than I would expect from him. 

• Love 2

Bry Dawg was actually decent before he started taking all of his cues from Mo. I thought he totally deserved his first nom. After that, it was just too much of his real life frat boy douchiness bleeding in.

• Love 7

I take comfort in the fact that Daytime Emmys are now as prestigious as those end of the year school awards one got when in elementary school. (Only four possible nominees definitely screams participation award.) Still, the idea that this show still walked away with anything just makes me shake my head.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Who won best talk show?  I tried googling it and could not find that! 

It wasn't awarded yet. That was the technical emmys last night.

The length on CL's dress is awful, as are her shoes. She probably borrowed the outfit from the GH costume department. And did the award-winning hair department do its magic? Is that really the best she can look? Poor thing. 

• Love 4

I remember when the Daytime Emmys were a Big Thing, complete with prime-time soap episodes just before the awards aired. As much as I mock this and do think the shine is off, it makes me sad to see what it has been reduced to. So many soaps gone hurt it.

But Susan Lucci finally winning is when I think this was doomed, as that was a big reason why people tuned in year after year.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I remember when it was a luncheon and the show was broadcast during the day. It says a lot about how things are that no one wants to go back to that more modest event.

Oh, I recall the tail end of that, too. Up until maybe the mid to late '80s, the 3:00 p.m. soaps were always preempted for the Daytime Emmys, ironically, from 3:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m.! I think it became a prime time Big Event around the late '80s/early '90s.

6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I remember when the Daytime Emmys were a Big Thing, complete with prime-time soap episodes just before the awards aired. As much as I mock this and do think the shine is off, it makes me sad to see what it has been reduced to. So many soaps gone hurt it.

But Susan Lucci finally winning is when I think this was doomed, as that was a big reason why people tuned in year after year.

YMMV, but my first Daytime Emmys was in 2001, two years after Susan won (I was only 12 in 2001...yikes), but also one of two times (2001 and 2002; she hosted the show herself in 2000 but wasn't nominated that year), and I still liked it and thought it was plenty glamorous.

IMO, the last truly good year for the Emmys on a consistent basis was 2008, although 2015 was probably the best year they had had in a long time. 

5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oh, I recall the tail end of that, too. Up until maybe the mid to late '80s, the 3:00 p.m. soaps were always preempted for the Daytime Emmys, ironically, from 3:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m.! I think it became a prime time Big Event around the late '80s/early '90s.

1991 was the first nighttime ceremony. 

• Love 1
On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 11:31 PM, tvgoddess said:

Meanwhile, at the Creative Arts Emmys...

Clearly, RoHo and WdV were not involved with this win.

Hahaha.  Seriously?  For what?  Making actors look bad?

16 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I remember when it was a luncheon and the show was broadcast during the day. It says a lot about how things are that no one wants to go back to that more modest event.

I actually remember that. My grandma used to get mad because it interrupted AW.  But she still watched.  If people she hated won, she'd angrily mutter at the tv.

• Love 1