Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Kromm

Shows That: Died Before Their Time, Never Got A Fair Shot, Or Were Ahead Of Their Time

On 5/9/2021 at 1:10 AM, jewel21 said:

FYI, it was Fox who cancelled both shows. I really hated Fox for awhile.

You're not alone, though my reason was Jessica Alba's Dark Angel show, also cancelled by Fox after only two seasons. Not cool. I also remember the show being set in the year 2019; we're past it and humans are yet to be genetically enhanced and carry barcodes (at least that I know of). 

And a really good "Shondaland" one, Off the Map, that didn't even make a whole first season, was cancelled mid-season with a lot of unresolved issues. I kept hoping for Shonda Rhimes to revive it, but never happened, guess it's one of those that never got a fair shot.

• Like 4

Prodigal Son Cancelled at Fox

My husband and I really liked this show, but we saw this coming.  I looked it up the other day and the articles said that it didn't look good. I have to laugh, though, because one thing they did this year was introduce Catherine Zeta Jones because they were hoping that as an Oscar winner, she'd boost their ratings.  I have nothing against her and have enjoyed her work in the past, but she hasn't done much at all recently and I hated the story line they gave her.  I said to my husband when I read that "Who actually thought to themselves 'You know who will save this show?  Catherine Zeta Jones!'".  *sigh*  Oh well.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

On 11/9/2019 at 5:20 PM, andromeda331 said:

Both good shows. I hated the way the network messed with John Larroquette Show taking out everything that was great about it. 

On 11/9/2019 at 5:53 PM, Was-MArsenault said:

They are really underrated shows and should get shown on TV again.

Couple years since these posts, but the scoop now is that Larroquette is instead attached to a Night Court continuation/sequel series. 

• Like 2

"Frank's Place" starring Tim Reid (he played Venus Flytrap in "WKRP In Cincinnati"). I think it lasted one season in the 1980's. Very funny! 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 16

The shows I miss are:

Profit. Maladjusted man played by Adrian Pasdar rises in corporate ranks through clever but horrible acts. It would have fit in well with that batch of jerk protagonists like The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men, etc. But it was too early and people were shocked and appalled, so it lasted one very short season.

Century City. Near-future legal ethics drama featuring Viola Davis, Ioan Gruffudd, Hector Elizondo, and Kristin Lehman.. Technically science fiction, because the issues dealt with all involved things like “man doses other man with some sort of recording technology so that he can experience that man having sex with his wife, and she finds out: can she have that man charged with rape” or “members of a boy band sue one of their members for breach of contract because he doesn’t want to take youth-prolonging drugs”. Basically it's if Black Mirror was a legal show, but lighter in tone. I think drama people ignored it because it was science fiction and SF people ignored it because it was a legal drama.

Vengeance Unlimited, starring Michael Madsen. It was a deranged version of "Have Gun, Will Travel". Madsen played a man called Mr. Chapel who offered to proved justice for people who’d been wronged and ignored in legal recourse. The gimmick was that the price for his help was either a million dollars or a promise to do him a favor should he come calling. He didn’t carry a gun, but his methods were highly questionable and occasionally violent. It got crushed because it was in the same time slot as Friends.

• Like 2

Profit.

If only it showed up 5 years later and on HBO...

• Like 1

Murder One.  If streaming platforms had been in existence in 1995 I think it would have thrived.  .   Add in social media and it would have been a huge hit. People on Twitter tweeting who they think did it. I just watched it over the weekend on Prime and even though I have watched it several times it still holds up.  It is a little dated since it's 26 yrs old but it is still a very engrossing murder mystery/crime drama.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Wasn't it super serialized (for its time)?

The first season there was one crime and each episode was devoted to something happening with that crime and eventual trial. You had to watch each episode to keep up with everything.  They did a recap at the beginning of each episode but it didn't cover all the details. I watched it when it originally aired and have rewatched it at least three times since and I still pick up on things I missed the first time.  

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Murder One.  If streaming platforms had been in existence in 1995 I think it would have thrived.  .   Add in social media and it would have been a huge hit. People on Twitter tweeting who they think did it. I just watched it over the weekend on Prime and even though I have watched it several times it still holds up.  It is a little dated since it's 26 yrs old but it is still a very engrossing murder mystery/crime drama.  

I loved that show. Season one was really good. It was fun following the ups and downs of one case.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, CoderLady said:

That would be awesome. That show was great - well written, directed and acted.

On 7/5/2021 at 4:57 PM, badhaggis said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliffhangers_(TV_series)

I loved this series and was sad to see it end. The idea of 3 story's being involved and you never knew which story would pick up the next time. Of course each week would end with a cliffhanger.

Never heard about this show, but this would be great, and perfect for streaming.

• Like 2

I really liked Party of Five (2020) on Freeform. Instead of the parents being deceased, they were undocumented, and were deported. The eldest son (aged 24) played by Brandon Larracuenta (man he was FINE) was DACA, and was left in charge of caring for the 16yrs old  twins (boy/girl), the 12yrs old sister, and the infant. There was a lot of good stuff with gender roles- the 16yrs old boy was far the most nurturing and best caregiver out of them all, and he was very much a stereotypical heterosexual teenage boy in many ways, the 16yrs old girl was questioning her sexuality and becoming a social activist.

We also got scenes with the parents regarding the complex issues emotional issues from leaving the children behind, placing their son in charge etc.

I really really enjoyed it and was sad it didnt get a second season, it was a good companion to Good Trouble.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

On 7/4/2019 at 10:16 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I loved Bomb Girls, a Canadian series, we got a wrap movie but it wasn’t the same. 

On 5/8/2021 at 12:58 PM, zoey1996 said:

It's available now on Tubi! I started watching last night.  I'd seen a few episodes, but not the entire series, and had been looking for it for a while.

On 7/6/2019 at 5:50 AM, ratgirlagogo said:

So I gather, but we never knew of it.  We watched it on REELZ and maybe since we didn't watch anything else on REELZ we never found out about it?

I finished watching it on Tubi & Pluto, and saw the wrap movie yesterday on Acorn. Enjoyed the series and the movie; sad about one character’s ending. 

• Like 3