Type keyword(s) to search

Avery & Omar: ISIS, Shmisis

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Persnickety1 said:

Her screen name is some not-so-clever way of combining Omar's initials and her name...in her own "unique" way.  It took me a minute to figure it out when I first tried reading it

Oh NOW I get it, it's her lame effort at a celebrity "portmanteau." 

33 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Her whole "I am gonna DANCE!" a la Footloose was cringy.  No, no you are NOT gonna dance in the streets -Muslim folk just do not do that. 

Flouting the rules, similar to Laura's hearty Sheikh Shake and we saw how cringeworthy that was. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Okay, I am not gonna lie:  watching snotty Avery break down in the lawyer's office gave me a bit of glee, it really did.  (Side note:  reason # 68 why I am glad I never had a daughter!  (I know there are many Primetimers with awesome daughters but......just no*)  Avery, he is a citizen of SYRIA.  Say it again: SYRIA!!!!  You going there is going to work against you as you two are together, limited hardship.  You are a child of the internet, you could have looked all this up but you probably would have been:  "Oh less than five per cent of travel bans are granted, I am in that five per cent."  I get the optimism, but we need to get real.  And the lawyer brought the real, that is for sure!!!

*=I had an admittedly complicated relationship with my late mom, so I knew I would be a better boy mom.  And God picked up, lol!!!!

• Love 4
On 10/9/2019 at 9:36 PM, Frozendiva said:

18K gold is that cheap? The $185 is dirt cheap considering gold is now $1500 US/$2000 CAD per ounce?

Pure gold is 24 carat. Eighteen carat is 18 parts gold, 6 parts alloy. It’s the the most expensive carat used in jewelry. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

*=I had an admittedly complicated relationship with my late mom, so I knew I would be a better boy mom.  And God picked up, lol!!!!

I had boys as well and always knew I’d be a better mother to sons than daughters. Best part about sons is that they don’t criticize your outfit.

• LOL 4
On 10/10/2019 at 9:36 AM, TrixieTrue said:

When I lived in NY, I went to NYU for my dental work. One of my student dentists already had a degree from a university in India, where he was from. It wasn't recognized here, and he had to do the whole program at NYU. 

My doctor (when I was in high school, so I mostly saw him for physicals and vaccines) was from Thailand and went to med school there. He had to do it all over after he moved to the US.  

It really depends on the country someone is from. I'm guessing that the US may not recognize a dentistry school in Syria. 

At this time, it might not even be possible for a licensing board to verify a medical professional's education or credentials from Syria.   A big part of the basis of the travel ban is that there are no stable governments to help the US vet visa applicants.  I would imagine dental school record and licensing info would present a similar problem.  

Omar's best bet is probably to try to move to another Islamic country, that might have lower standards and a greater need for dentists and would be more familiar with his Arabic documents and better able to verify them.  

Avery would probably be a liability for him in such an effort, as some of these countries might not be thrilled with him bringing an American bride.  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

“Little snot” lol ain’t that the truth. 
where does she get the money to travel half way around the world when still living at home and it doesn’t look like she has a job?  I imagine mom is funding this whole thing???If mom doesn’t like the idea why doesn’t she just sit back and relax and let Avery figure all this out herself?  By the looks of it Avery won’t get very far unless 90d is funding this nonsense???

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I had boys as well and always knew I’d be a better mother to sons than daughters. Best part about sons is that they don’t criticize your outfit.

Girls criticize your clothes?  Love my sons.  Love! Them!

1 hour ago, KeeperOfTheIce said:

where does she get the money to travel half way around the world when still living at home and it doesn’t look like she has a job?  I imagine mom is funding this whole thing???If mom doesn’t like the idea why doesn’t she just sit back and relax and let Avery figure all this out herself?  By the looks of it Avery won’t get very far unless 90d is funding this nonsense???

Someone on another thread says she lives in an apt with a few others.  If I were mom I would sit back and let her run this crapshow herself.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, KeeperOfTheIce said:

Avery was on instagram the other day and she said she has a job plus they have their online store and she looks after the orders and shipping etc...  she was going on about how busy she is. 🙄

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

At this time, it might not even be possible for a licensing board to verify a medical professional's education or credentials from Syria.   A big part of the basis of the travel ban is that there are no stable governments to help the US vet visa applicants.  I would imagine dental school record and licensing info would present a similar problem.  

Omar's best bet is probably to try to move to another Islamic country, that might have lower standards and a greater need for dentists and would be more familiar with his Arabic documents and better able to verify them.  

Avery would probably be a liability for him in such an effort, as some of these countries might not be thrilled with him bringing an American bride.  

There are a lot of doctors from other countries who never pass the boards here, so he’s not a sure bet, but worst case scenario he could train for an alternate healthcare career. But the pudgy little brat who is enamoured with romance in a potentially dangerous part of the world and costumes that she can hide behind has no right to bring someone in this country like a Jack Russell terrier. Stubborn little idiot. God I hate the way she lifts her chin, narrows her eyes, and pooches her lips out when she doesn’t like what someone says. 

I just checked out their website. You cannot get a beautiful prayer rug for 25 bucks. No one sets cheap rhinestones in 18kt gold. Pretty sure this is China sweatshop junk. 

Edited by Mu Shu
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Avery was on instagram the other day and she said she has a job plus they have their online store and she looks after the orders and shipping etc...  she was going on about how busy she is. 🙄

Same job as before? Cause she told her mom that she’d already given notice to them that she was moving to Syria... to be with her husband, the love of her life, that she met for the first time and got married to in Lebanon just a couple weeks ago.

I wonder what that lawyer will charge her for the less than 5% chance of getting a waiver for her Syrian husband that she just met for the first time and married in Lebanon...?

Edited by iwasish
  • LOL 1

I can't stop looking at Averys nose!  Porky Pig nose!  Sorry but Teri has one too!

Mom Teri is a huge enabler of her girl!  But of course she loves that Avery landed a spot on this show and Teri gets trips and paychecks for appearing!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Thats what I was thinking, too. Their best case scenario would be to live in some other Middle Eastern country that would be willing to accept them.

Funny, though. I do know one Syrian young woman who left Syria 2 years ago to marry her American (born in Syrian, US -raised) husband. So maybe she was that 5%. ? 

Watching 19 year old Avery in such grief abiut this makes me think...man. why in the world is she making her life so hard ? At 19, she should be worried about hanging out with her friends, working at the mall, maybe college classes, goodness, shes such an idiot. And if she wanted to be Muslim, and date another Muslim (which I will ASSUME means getting married quickly) we have PLENTY right here in America and she wouldnt have to pay a cent for an immigration lawyer to tell her shes got less than 5% chance to be with her "true love" in America. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Lily247 said:

Thats what I was thinking, too. Their best case scenario would be to live in some other Middle Eastern country that would be willing to accept them.

Funny, though. I do know one Syrian young woman who left Syria 2 years ago to marry her American (born in Syrian, US -raised) husband. So maybe she was that 5%. ? 

Watching 19 year old Avery in such grief abiut this makes me think...man. why in the world is she making her life so hard ? At 19, she should be worried about hanging out with her friends, working at the mall, maybe college classes, goodness, shes such an idiot. And if she wanted to be Muslim, and date another Muslim (which I will ASSUME means getting married quickly) we have PLENTY right here in America and she wouldnt have to pay a cent for an immigration lawyer to tell her shes got less than 5% chance to be with her "true love" in America. 

She’s loving every minute of the attention!  I bet she thinks she will be able to get on all the morning shows to plead her case , poor little Avery, the mean old government is keeping her from the love of her life !   Wait till the novelty of her situation wears off, and she gets bored of Omar’s monotone one word sentences over FaceTime. He told her “I never lie”. In her FaceTime with him, she asks if he can wait 3 or 4 years to be together and he says “I don’t know” .  He’s not the type to listen to her weepy, baby voice, do you still love  me? Do you miss me? How come you aren’t emotional? Blah blah blah. 
I hope she goes to Syria and stays there. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Lily247 said:

I'm not sure when the travel ban took effect.  There were several injunctions against it, before the SCOTUS finally upheld most of it, in June 2018.  

IIRC, one thing that had to be changed was that some provision had to be added for aliens with some existing relation to the US to at least have some chance to make their case.  I think that is probably why Omar has even that 5% to get a waiver.   

I have read that Avery "fell in love" with Omar while he was pretending that he lived in the US on the dating site.  She then converted to Islam to marry him and found out he actually lived in Syria.  You would think that huge lie would have been enough for her to realize he was scamming her.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 10/22/2019 at 5:33 AM, iwasish said:

She’s loving every minute of the attention!  I bet she thinks she will be able to get on all the morning shows to plead her case , poor little Avery, the mean old government is keeping her from the love of her life !   Wait till the novelty of her situation wears off, and she gets bored of Omar’s monotone one word sentences over FaceTime. He told her “I never lie”. In her FaceTime with him, she asks if he can wait 3 or 4 years to be together and he says “I don’t know” .  He’s not the type to listen to her weepy, baby voice, do you still love  me? Do you miss me? How come you aren’t emotional? Blah blah blah. 
I hope she goes to Syria and stays there. 

I keep checking for a GoFundMe so I can help her get to Syria with the quickness.  

If I find one, I'll let you know.   😄 

2 hours ago, iwasish said:

I wonder if the changes in Syria the last couple days will make a difference in Omar’s chances of getting a visa. 

I'm thinking that 5% has dropped to 0% at the moment.  

But I'm still hopeful we can ship Avery over there!

• LOL 7

I could see Avery taking the Tiffany route of trying to use a pregnancy in an attempt to better Omar's chances at a visa.  

Omar generally seemed likeable, but I didn't like him shitting all over Teri and then running after her after realizing he needs her.  Teri is a bitch in her own right, but I found his smugness equally unlikable and it seems like he was willing to hold Avery as ransom to get Teri to back his cause.  

I sure hope she is too smart to drag a baby into this.....but I don't know.....

14 hours ago, iwasish said:

I wonder if the changes in Syria the last couple days will make a difference in Omar’s chances of getting a visa. 

Not here, but I wonder if European allies would be more likely to take a Syrian refugee in because of recent developments in the region.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 10/8/2019 at 7:26 PM, Azubah said:

Omar's the dentist, right? I'm getting a ton of work done at the local dental school, and there's a lovely young man from Afghanistan working there as an assistant. He was a dentist back in Afghanistan, but now that he's here he has to go through a bunch of preliminary classes, do some research, and apply to the dental school here and go through an accelerated 2-year program (which, needless to say, is not free.) Omar can't just walk into a job as a dentist in the U.S. It's going to be a time-consuming, expensive hassle.

I worked at Tufts Dental School for 12 years. If Omar has a BDS, that is considered the equivalent of an American DDS or DMD credential. However, anyone who has a foreign degree will need to do two years in an accelerated program for foreign dentists at an American dental school, (depending on the state) and pass the appropriate licensing boards and exams. My boss, who was a professor at the dental school, and had a certificate in Periodontology from Tufts and a PhD from Harvard, had a DDS from a dental school in Greece, so he had to do two years at Tufts for an American DMD so he could work in a private practice. He was able to practice in the on site faculty practice, he could teach in class and in the clinics. He was a senior member of the faculty. He was highly educated. We had foreign trained students by the dozen in the Advanced Education (specialties like Orthodontics, Periodontology, Endontics, and so on). And in the Master's program. They could take their American credentials back home, and often teach. If they wanted to stay in the US, they had to do the two year DMD in the US. That's pretty much across the board. So even if Omar has his degree, its two more years here, plus board exams and licensing. He couldn't hang out his shingle and start practicing. He could maybe get a job as a clinical instructor at a dental school, but he doesn't seem to be very experienced. Best case would be to get a job assisting a practice and finance his DMD program that way.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
On 10/22/2019 at 10:57 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

I have read that Avery "fell in love" with Omar while he was pretending that he lived in the US on the dating site.  She then converted to Islam to marry him and found out he actually lived in Syria.  You would think that huge lie would have been enough for her to realize he was scamming her.  

I think a requirement of being cast on the show is the willingness to ignore major red flags.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 10/25/2019 at 2:31 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

I worked at Tufts Dental School for 12 years. If Omar has a BDS, that is considered the equivalent of an American DDS or DMD credential. However, anyone who has a foreign degree will need to do two years in an accelerated program for foreign dentists at an American dental school, (depending on the state) and pass the appropriate licensing boards and exams. My boss, who was a professor at the dental school, and had a certificate in Periodontology from Tufts and a PhD from Harvard, had a DDS from a dental school in Greece, so he had to do two years at Tufts for an American DMD so he could work in a private practice. He was able to practice in the on site faculty practice, he could teach in class and in the clinics. He was a senior member of the faculty. He was highly educated. We had foreign trained students by the dozen in the Advanced Education (specialties like Orthodontics, Periodontology, Endontics, and so on). And in the Master's program. They could take their American credentials back home, and often teach. If they wanted to stay in the US, they had to do the two year DMD in the US. That's pretty much across the board. So even if Omar has his degree, its two more years here, plus board exams and licensing. He couldn't hang out his shingle and start practicing. He could maybe get a job as a clinical instructor at a dental school, but he doesn't seem to be very experienced. Best case would be to get a job assisting a practice and finance his DMD program that way.

I’m curious if the accreditation/credits in the US treats Syria differently than other countries. They’re not an ally (if that matters) and it’s obviously a real shit show over there. Is it possible he’ll need to start over from scratch?

Teri - Avery ain’t going to Syria. It’s a simple Google search. She needs a visa from a Syrian embassy/consulate in the US. We got none. Too bad. Maybe she can go to Canada.😈

• Useful 3
7 minutes ago, Jennifersdc said:

I’m curious if the accreditation/credits in the US treats Syria differently than other countries. They’re not an ally (if that matters) and it’s obviously a real shit show over there. Is it possible he’ll need to start over from scratch?

Teri - Avery ain’t going to Syria. It’s a simple Google search. She needs a visa from a Syrian embassy/consulate in the US. We got none. Too bad. Maybe she can go to Canada.😈

WE don’t want her! Omar maybe ( I love my dentist, but he is retiring soon), but not  smug, useless, insufferable, ignorant  Avery!

• LOL 5
2 minutes ago, LadyK said:

WE don’t want her! Omar maybe ( I love my dentist, but he is retiring soon), but not  smug, useless, insufferable, ignorant  Avery!

My apologies Canadian. She may very well be coming your way. I’m going 50/50 if TLC camera’s are still following her. Again my apologies...

• LOL 1

There is a bunch of drama involving Avery, but here is the post by Teri. She removed it because she misunderstood it. The Petition being approved only means that it was accepted because the elements were required. I was trying to create a screencap of the comment that explained it, but it says it is too large to load, even thought it isn't. The cut and paste is:

it just means USCIS approved their petition. It just means that you met the qualifications of meeting within the last 2 yrs, and that you had proof of a bonafide relationship. The denial may come at the interview stage. It’s very rare for the initial petition to be denied

The other drama is about her response to Deavan's "America's not racist" comment that Deavan is now backtrackimg on. I'll have to add those after my doc appt if someone else hadn't.

• LOL 1

It's funny to read something I wrote when my aphasia is spiking. Most of the time, the word I'm pulling for is somewhat related to what I use, like referring to an X-Box controller as a remote, or saying the washing machine went off so I put the clothes in the refrigerator instead of dryer. Doesn't everyone dry their clothes in the refrigerator? That post up there, though, just a jumbled mess.

There is a lot of drama with Avery, there is always a lot of drama with Avery, and I'll collect the stuff regarding the Tell Nothing, but first, this is her response to Deavan's claim that there is no racism in America. I'm linking from another account because she posted it to her Live and it's a pain to grab.

Avery does receive hate on Twitter and Instagram, but she also courts it; she's a drama queen. People who believe their religion is the only correct one are not going to change their mind because they see someone on television who is a different one. She has appointed herself as a face of Islam resulting in backlash from other Muslims who say she didn't pray right when it was shown on the first episode; she either said something wrong or didn't lay right, I can't remember the complaint. She dresses much more conservatively than the general populace and has came across as her clothing being attention-seeking. She also chose to marry a man from Syria who will not be allowed in the country for years, if ever. Absolutely no one believes she intends to move there, either. 

There is an overwhelming amount of comments saying she is play acting Muslim but not actually practicing. She ignores comments about whether she eats halal and if she goes to a mosque. She did say she couldn't answer the mosque questions because of her NDA and it would reveal where she is currently, when the show wanted it to look like she was in Syria. Muslims in Columbus have said there are meet and greets that bring together people from seven mosques and she could have found someone here if she truly wanted to revert and marry in the faith. 

She has always said that she reverted first and two weeks later joined Muzmatch and came across Omar's profile, who said he was in America. There is a rumor/theory that the coworkers Avery said introduced her to the faith and took her to the mosque had been discussing Muzmatch and she saw Omar's profile and then decided she wanted to be in the faith. There are some old social media comments by her from her old Twitter and Instagram accounts that do make the above theory sound plausible. She wisely deleted those old accounts but some screencaps were made first. I'm not trying to find them because I'm trying to gather the Tell Nothing posts. Avery bugs me and I've already spent more time on her than I planned.

I do hope that she finds what she is looking for in her new faith, even if it started for attention.

• Love 3

I saw an episode on Frontline last night (PBS) about life in Syria.  It's a documentary done by an ER doctor's experience in Syria for a few years when they were bombed daily.  It's probably the most touching and disturbing thing I've ever seen. I'm still speechless.  I wish Avery would watch it.  I've tried to find out what the state of Aleppo is since that film came out, but, am not satisfied with what I have seen so far.  WARNING: Very graphic and heartbreaking. Multiple scenes of young children dying and dead.   Here's a link for it.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I saw an episode on Frontline last night (PBS) about life in Syria.  It's a documentary done by an ER doctor's experience in Syria for a few years when they were bombed daily.  It's probably the most touching and disturbing thing I've ever seen. I'm still speechless.  I wish Avery would watch it.  I've tried to find out what the state of Aleppo is since that film came out, but, am not satisfied with what I have seen so far.  WARNING: Very graphic and heartbreaking. Multiple scenes of young children dying and dead.   Here's a link for it.  

These documentaries always make me so very sad 😞

avery will never watch anything that would interrupt her fantasy....and even if she did she would counter with a million reasons why she and Omar are different.

i didn't see the documentary on the Frontline podcast, I wonder if it's a repeat. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, RealReality said:

These documentaries always make me so very sad 😞

avery will never watch anything that would interrupt her fantasy....and even if she did she would counter with a million reasons why she and Omar are different.

i didn't see the documentary on the Frontline podcast, I wonder if it's a repeat. 

I'm not sure.  Last night,  PBS showed it to be repeated airings several times over the course of this week, but, they were early a.m. times slots.  You can probably also watch on your local PBS station On Demand.  I think the producer, the woman shown with the baby, is the one who spoke at the Oscar's recently.  There was some concern of her being able to gain entry into the country.  

• Useful 2

I don't have a screencap because I cannot find it, but there is some clickbait saying Omar's visa was denied and Avery was confused about it. Avery did a video clip saying it wasn't true and if there was a decision on his visa they would know not some random blogger. 

So, if you see an article about them, ignore it because it's just clickbait. 

1 hour ago, ALittleShelfish said:

What a neat story that never happened, Avery.  🙄

That was the first thought that came to my mind and then I felt terrible.  

I think it's possible that the employees were starting and pointing and Avery sort of made up the dialogue.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, RealReality said:

I think it's possible that the employees were starting and pointing and Avery sort of made up the dialogue.  

I also thought it might not be true because she said they no longer have jobs. I can't see Walmart firing an employee in front of Avery or that quickly. I witnessed multiple Walmart employees treat a disabled mom(the mom had stage 4 cancer and was struggling shopping with her child) horrible. Items fell on the poor women and it was just handled badly. I complained to the front end manager and the manager was holding one of my bags. I left the store and never got the bag back so I called the store. They had the bag and  I went back down and the store manager gave me the bag and refunded my entire order (shocked because it was $70). He apoligized over and over and made sure I was okay and I kept saying I was worried about the disabled mom. He said watched the video and was so sorry. It seemed like the whole point was to make sure I and the disabled mom were okay and quiet about it? No employees were fired that night, they were reviewing videos and having a team meeting later that week. If anyone watched the video it would be 100% clear the employees were wrong(safety wise) and just mean,.  I know 2 of the 3 employees still work there today. They did however add an extra employee to the area where the incident happened.  I hope this did not happen to her and I dislike that I am questioning it, but it just seems to "perfect" that they were fired?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Avery lives in Columbus, Ohio. There are many Muslims and foreigners there, and I think she is full of shit and lying for attention. I really, really do. She gets no benefit of the doubt from me because she has shown herself to be an attention seeking little brat. 

Her story has been picked up by Yahoo news, who contacted Walmart and were told that it is being investigated. She says they were fired immediately and the likelihood of that happening is really low, and all the comments about her story from people who work at Walmart said it happens like @silverspoons says, and at most, they would have been pulled off the floor at the moment. 

The employees didn't think she spoke English? Seriously? They probably have co-workers who are Muslim and know they speak English. She's so full of shit. 

Article for those in the UK, dropped into a spoiler to save room on the screen

Spoiler

90 Day Fiancé: Before the 90 Days star Avery Mills says that a recent shopping trip to Walmart resulted in her being the target of hateful comments because she is Muslim.

Mills, 19, claimed on Twitter that two employees began talking about “how America isn’t how it used to be and how Trump needs to take out the trash and looked at me.”

The reality TV personality added that she tried to ignore their comments and that the employees “assumed” she didn’t speak English.

“They pointed at me and [said] do you think she can even afford any of that and the other one said maybe with her welfare check from our taxes,” Mills wrote. “I called them out for it they tried to kiss my butt and they no longer have jobs.”

“Trump didn’t need to take out the trash bc I did,” she said.

She added in the tweet that the two employees were “right” about America not being what it “used to be.”

“You can’t blatantly be prejudice at work anymore. It’s funny now Bc they will be living off of welfare with MY tax dollars,” she said. 

When reached by PEOPLE, a spokesperson for Walmart said that the alleged incident is currently being investigated.

“We do not tolerate discrimination of any kind,” Walmart said in a statement to PEOPLE. “We take Ms. Mills’ claims seriously and are looking into this.”

Mills is from Columbus, Ohio, and converted from Christianity to Islam.

“I believed in God, but I wasn’t always 100 percent confident in all of the Christian views, the reality star told Newsweek. “I was open to learning about Islam and never expected to convert, but I was curious, so I asked some Muslim friends about Islam.”

RELATED VIDEO: 90 Day Fiancé Tell-All Clip

“Everything I learned shocked me, it made so much sense and I realized it’s an amazing religion,” she continued. “The turning moment for me was when I went into a mosque and had a moment in my heart I knew I was with the right people, in the right place, about to follow the right path.”

“I have never cared about what people thought in the past. No one can sway my decision on my choices,” she added. “I really make my own path and I’ll tell them that.”

Mills and 24-year-old husband Omar Albakkaur, who is from Syria, tied the knot in Lebanon with their wedding and relationship followed as part of the TLC reality series. The pair met on a Muslim dating site.

Mills did not immediately reply to PEOPLE’s request for comment.

[There are also 627 reactions all calling her a liar.]

Edited by Christina
Added paragraph
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, RealReality said:

Something like this?

"Hey, isn't that the chick from 90 Day Fiance?"

"Yeah, that spoiled asshole...guess she didn't go to Syria.  What time are you taking lunch?"

Mini Persnickety used to work at Walmart.  Those employees seriously don't have time to stand around and talk shit about customers.  And the last time I checked, sightings of Muslims shopping, at Walmart or anywhere else, isn't uncommon.  

I second your opinion that the dialogue was "created."  As usual, asshole Avery is trying to create drama for attention.  I hope TLC never brings her back.  Blech. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I kind of wonder why she's still "Ms Mills" instead of Mrs "Albakkaur."  Do Muslim women take their husband's name?

Some do, some don't.  Depends on which part of the world you are from.

I think the Wal-Mart exchange went like this:

"Hey look at that pretty girl in the red hijab.  Aren't her eyes pretty?"

"Yeah....what time is your break?  Can you help me in housewares for a minute?"

No way were employees fired on the spot unless there was physical violence of some sort.  

Avery, you are not the first convert to Islam, you won't be the last.  Can't wait for you to have a baby and tell us all how to raise kids.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
On 10/25/2019 at 2:31 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

He could maybe get a job as a clinical instructor at a dental school, but he doesn't seem to be very experienced. Best case would be to get a job assisting a practice and finance his DMD program that way.

<snipped for space>

Someone asked if these rules held for immigrants from other countries.  I had a cleaning lady from Ukraine many years ago, before the Russian activity there, and she was an MD, an anesthesiologist.  She had come here via a shady route really close to trafficking--but I didn't know about that then.  I tried to help her find out what she would have to do to be able to practice medicine here--her English was excellent--and the requirements were very similar to what you describe for dentists.  She would need to take several exams and medical school courses that would take at least five years to accomplish.  The med school officials I spoke to recommended she go to nursing school and become a nurse-anesthetist because while it would take just as long, it would involve far less effort on her part.  Then we moved.

So yes.

• Love 2
On 1/4/2020 at 2:35 PM, Persnickety1 said:

Mini Persnickety used to work at Walmart.

Mini made me giggle for some reason. Hey, it's Monday, I'll take any excuse to laugh. 

Edited by hookedontv
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 11/20/2019 at 10:42 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I saw this, I had to stop it a few times as I was crying so hard. Very interesting but extremely disturbing. This would be a nice wake up call for Avery.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Avery is having a giveaway of her six favorite hijabs, available internationally.

I saw a poster saying Avery was taking part in a Humanitarian Award Dinner and Gala as a speaker. The charity is KBK Relief Foundation, an organization that supports Muslim women in different ways. I do not have any personal knowledge of it, but it does seem like it is spoken of positively. I'm not sure why Avery would be an asset as a speaker, when the other women sound like they actually work as humanitarians, not just appear on trash tv and claim Walmart workers made ignorant statements about her because they didn't think she spoke English.  

I shouldn't be such a downer about this, but Avery's claims about that Walmart incident, which likely never happened, on top of her falsely planning on moving to Syria, when she was clearly trying to get a dentist husband here through a loophole that didn't exist, just makes everything about her come across as attention seeking and inauthentic, and she really bugs. Maybe being around such organizations will mature her some and I shouldn't sell her short so soon.

Edit: According to this post, she'll have a popup store for her knick knacks

• Love 2

I’m sure Avery’s  mom  is relieved she is stuck here  in the US. I wonder if Omar is getting tired of waiting for a visa and starting to think about moving on. Syria is a disaster area right now. 

• Love 2