Type keyword(s) to search

Press Your Luck - General Discussion

• Start Topic

40 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Pam reminds me a little of Peg Bundy. That can't be good.

Yes, yes, yes....that is who she reminded me of...and her daughter's hair was something else. My nine year old self had a wonderful time tonight with the Whammies! Lots and lots of whammies!😈 One thing though, Pammie was brave! I don't think I could have kept going!

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

One thing though, Pammie was brave! 

I wanted her to lose it all, because I'm evil and I hate when people get too greedy (IMO). It worked out for her, though.

3 hours ago, lb60 said:

I wanted her to lose it all, because I'm evil and I hate when people get too greedy (IMO). It worked out for her, though.

Exactly why I laugh when there are such contestants on Wheel of Fortune when the puzzle is obvious, they already have tons of money, yet they spin one last time - and hit Bankrupt.  😛

• LOL 2
(edited)

I felt bad for the two men who Whammied out pretty much instantly this week. Can't blame them for pressing their luck though.

I really liked Pam, and yes, she was def channeling Peg Bundy. She had a great personality and I found nothing at all offensive about her. She was nice, so excited to be doing well, and was tons of fun IMO. I wanted her to go out after she won the Guess wardrobe, but a check of the clock told me she would go on. I couldn't believe she left with the clothes and the Cher concert. Coolest player and win ever. Well, at least so far, for me.

I wonder if there was a distance the private jet to the Cher Vegas concert would go. Would it pick me up in the Midwest? Maybe Pam lives in the LA area so the jet prize was pretty safe. I was happy she didn't gamble more to get the car. Speed kills. I mean, Greed Kills.

22 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

My wife once told me that by the time you're in your 40s, you really shouldn't have the same hairstyle and clothes you did in high school. NotPegBundy from last night was Exhibit A. 

I've never seen any high-school girl wearing what Pam was wearing, or having that hairstyle. But IMO, when you are OLDER THAN 40 you can do and wear whatever you damn well please. Heck, when you are younger than 40 you can do and wear whatever you want too. I'm all for people who don't follow the flock when it comes to hairstyle and clothing. While the Peg Bundy look is not for me, I thought it looked great on Pam.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:39 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Exactly why I laugh when there are such contestants on Wheel of Fortune when the puzzle is obvious, they already have tons of money, yet they spin one last time - and hit Bankrupt. 

I'm irked on Wheel when the puzzle is obvious yet they buy more vowels. (I'm a conservative spender!)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I liked Pam too. She clearly had a great relationship with her husband and daughter, and I found their shared enthusiasm really sweet. And it was kind of endearing that her favorite clothes label was... Guess.

• Love 2
On 7/17/2019 at 9:26 PM, lb60 said:

Pam reminds me a little of Peg Bundy. That can't be good.

And how.  I couldn't help but be charmed by her.

She and Elizabeth had great chemistry together.

• Love 3
On 7/18/2019 at 2:39 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Exactly why I laugh when there are such contestants on Wheel of Fortune when the puzzle is obvious, they already have tons of money, yet they spin one last time - and hit Bankrupt.  😛

Me too!!!😂  My kids when they were little called it "bank robbed"😂 Especially after they bought an obvious vowel

• Love 2
1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

Tonight I really wasn't rooting for the Whammy! I liked the champion and I  wish she had won! I liked her!

Yeah, that was rough. We were live watching, so it’s 8:58, just about to end, she had money and her dream trip , 3 Whammies, and one more spin. So she was either going to spin safely and immediately quit, or Whammy out. Alas......

(edited)
16 hours ago, opus said:

Kind of wanted to see what a decade worth of cheese retailed for.

I was wondering how much cheese is a decade's worth. I didn't watch ending credits, maybe they say it there, in small print. Maybe there is a Cheese of the Month Club.

12 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Tonight I really wasn't rooting for the Whammy! I liked the champion and I  wish she had won! I liked her!

She didn't get any Whammies through the whole game, then got blasted out at the end. That was a tough go. I would have had a pretty false sense of security by the end, too, I guess. The other two players got roasted by Whammies.

Since I'm trying to appreciate the Whammy, I have to say I did get a kick out of the fireman Whammy.

On a shallow note, I keep staring at Elizabeth's poochy stomach in her tight dresses.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

On a shallow note, I keep staring at Elizabeth's poochy stomach in her tight dresses.

Actually I noticed that also, but what drew my attention was the zipper down the whole back of the dress. I wondered if one could sit down comfortably in it!

• LOL 1
41 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was wondering how much cheese is a decade's worth. I didn't watch ending credits, maybe they say it there, in small print. Maybe there is a Cheese of the Month Club.

She didn't get any Whammies through the whole game, then got blasted out at the end. That was a tough go. I would have had a pretty false sense of security by the end, too, I guess. The other two players got roasted by Whammies.

Since I'm trying to appreciate the Whammy, I have to say I did get a kick out of the fireman Whammy.

I love it and it makes me feel better about my pooch that is larger than hers 😉

I felt bad for the contestant since she didn't have any family or friends out on the stage. I wonder if they've decided to stop having people out there.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

<Alex Trebek voice>

GFY!

• LOL 1

Did they decide to stop of having family and friends out or did that particular contestant not bring anyone with her?   This is the first time I noticed the lack of them.   I actually prefer it that way.  ll the hand wringing and boo hooing and OMG I Love You You Know You're Awesome and the tears is just too much.  

They'e obviously tweaking things and airing them out of order makes it more obvious.  For example, sometimes they have 4 questions in the first round and sometimes 3 (but Elizabeth always yells them).

10 hours ago, Maverick said:

ll the hand wringing and boo hooing and OMG I Love You You Know You're Awesome and the tears is just too much.  

I hate that on all the game shows. I just wish once the husband/wife would say, "You and your greed just screwed us out of $50,000, cheese for a year and a trip to Australia. You suck."

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I hate that on all the game shows. I just wish once the husband/wife would say, "You and your greed just screwed us out of $50,000, cheese for a year and a trip to Australia. You suck."

I agree, but didn't she have to take that last spin?

Also, wasn't it a month long trip? I imagine most people would have a hard time taking off work for a month.

I also can't imagine a decade of cheese. I'm sure everyone she knew would have gotten gifts of cheese for every holiday.

"You get a block of cheese. And you get a block of cheese."

• LOL 1

Caught a little of this revival this week.  Kinda cool that they had a contestant from the original Tomarken run back on.  That fit in with the whole "original" set thing they're doing, unlike the GSN version from the early 2000s.

While flipping between this and Penn & Teller, I regaled my mother with the "tragic" tale of Michael Larson.  I included the part where GSN did the documentary about the scandal, and them bringing the other two contestants from his episodes along with Larson's brother over to the then-revival set.  They'd temporarily programmed that big board to replicate the original's patterns, so that they could stage a "re-match" but with one of the other contestants "winning" by using Larson's technique.

• Love 1

Always love this show growing up. The revival isn't bad and I don't mind the tweaks. Just wish they made a few more. For starters it is still weird having a whammy take zero dollars. Why didn't they come up with a couple $0 specific animations? "I'd take your money but you ain't got any! Hahahheheh"

Elizabeth Banks is fine as a host but why does it feel like she is yelling the whole time. Seems like she is really straining her voice. 

I like the bonus round and the prizes customized to the contestants. Adds a nice uniqueness to what is typically just random prizes and cash. 

• Love 2

Season finale was last night. I sort of watched. If I had been the middle lady (who ended up winning), I would have passed those six or seven spins to George (I think that was his name) when I had more than $25,000.

I was glad at the end, after she quit and kept her winnings, they let her play out the spins she didn't take, just for fun. Getting a Whammy on the last play when she had more than $100,000 had to make her feel better.

I guess they aren't spins, but I don't know what else to call them.

On 7/19/2019 at 12:35 PM, saber5055 said:

I felt bad for the two men who Whammied out pretty much instantly this week. Can't blame them for pressing their luck though.

I really liked Pam, and yes, she was def channeling Peg Bundy. She had a great personality and I found nothing at all offensive about her. She was nice, so excited to be doing well, and was tons of fun IMO. I wanted her to go out after she won the Guess wardrobe, but a check of the clock told me she would go on. I couldn't believe she left with the clothes and the Cher concert. Coolest player and win ever. Well, at least so far, for me.

I wonder if there was a distance the private jet to the Cher Vegas concert would go. Would it pick me up in the Midwest? Maybe Pam lives in the LA area so the jet prize was pretty safe. I was happy she didn't gamble more to get the car. Speed kills. I mean, Greed Kills.

I've never seen any high-school girl wearing what Pam was wearing, or having that hairstyle. But IMO, when you are OLDER THAN 40 you can do and wear whatever you damn well please. Heck, when you are younger than 40 you can do and wear whatever you want too. I'm all for people who don't follow the flock when it comes to hairstyle and clothing. While the Peg Bundy look is not for me, I thought it looked great on Pam.

I'm irked on Wheel when the puzzle is obvious yet they buy more vowels. (I'm a conservative spender!)

That's so funny.....I know this isn't the Wheel topic.  But I love it when after the contestant buys two or three vowels in a row....they hit bankrupt.   And vowels should cost $1000.

• LOL 1

They still have the Flokati rug up on the Big Board. Peter Tomarken and Rod Roddy would have been delighted, I'm sure. 

It's such a great idea for the contestants to have a chance at things they would only dream about. I was very happy for her doing so well getting that premium Tesla along with enough cash to get her mother that accessible van.  

12 hours ago, DrScottie said:

It's such a great idea for the contestants to have a chance at things they would only dream about. I was very happy for her doing so well getting that premium Tesla along with enough cash to get her mother that accessible van.  

Agreed!  Of all of the game show re-boots, this one and Pyramid are my favorites.  The hostess isn't overly annoying and I love the personalized prizes.

ABC pre empted their whole lineup for me last night but I caught this one on demand since I heard it was a great episode. Even though I had known she would at least do well it was still quite exciting to watch, and probably not a coincidence they opened the season with a nurse winning big. Though she really should try to sell that Tesla and get the handicapped accessible van it’s place. I was shocked that a Toyota van was $80,000, didn’t know it cost that much for handicapped accessible vehicles.

With no Pyramid for now this is the best of the game show reboots ABC currently has airing.

They actually titled the episode "I'm Not Crying, You're Crying."

I think I figured out why I like Elizabeth as the host so much.  She's either legitimately excited for these people, or really good a faking it.  Either way, it's infectious.

• Love 1
On 5/30/2020 at 9:30 PM, lb60 said:

No Whammies! No Whammies! No Whammies!

Season 2 starts tomorrow (Sunday). 

We got Whammied, everything was preempted for protest coverage. Maybe next week.

Had to catch this one on On-Demand, but it was worth it. I liked Emily, because she didn't play odds. She just seemed to bet on herself every time. And when she got whammies, she recovered. Maybe it's too much time in quarantine, but I found myself tearing up when she said something like, "I'm a Yinzer and we never quit."

At the same time, I was fascinated by her marriage. Her husband seemed sweetly simple, not really caring about the prizes. She seems like the driving force there. And all the prizes were to be geared toward her and her family. The fact that she saw people driving around and LA in Teslas and appeared to want one based off of that is ... interesting.

I hope she's happy with her life-changing money, especially as it doesn't come with an LA life.

12 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Had to catch this one on On-Demand, but it was worth it. I liked Emily, because she didn't play odds. She just seemed to bet on herself every time. And when she got whammies, she recovered. Maybe it's too much time in quarantine, but I found myself tearing up when she said something like, "I'm a Yinzer and we never quit."

At the same time, I was fascinated by her marriage. Her husband seemed sweetly simple, not really caring about the prizes. She seems like the driving force there. And all the prizes were to be geared toward her and her family. The fact that she saw people driving around and LA in Teslas and appeared to want one based off of that is ... interesting.

I hope she's happy with her life-changing money, especially as it doesn't come with an LA life.

I thought so too, at first, but then I started thinking about it. I bet they make the contestants fill out a questionnaire stating what your "dream" prizes are and she probably ran out of ideas and was like "I saw a bunch of Tesla's, I'll just put that". 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I must be getting old (I’m 55) but I much prefer the board from the 80’s version. I could read the board better. In the new version it appears the square is high lighted white which I don’t see as well just bulbs around the square. Also, why do all the new game shows all have to be so OTT? Is it because they know people would be bored to death watching these current versions? Maybe, I’m not the demographic they’re looking for. I will have to stick with the Buzzr game show network for my game show fix. Between that and TPIR I think I’m about covered. 

Edited by ByaNose
4 hours ago, opus said:

What would they do, time-wise, if a contestant quit the bonus round early?

They would probably have they play it out to see what they would have won.   In reality, I would bet part of the casting process has them picking who they believe are heavily inclined to be risk takers / overly confident and wouldn't back out.   

Deal or No Deal was much the same.  They had an hour show and if someone bailed early it they'd have a lot of time to fill.   I think someone actually did take the money fairly early one time but they just kept playing.   

(edited)
5 hours ago, opus said:

What would they do, time-wise, if a contestant quit the bonus round early?

Well I don't know what they'd do....and I've pondered the same question.   Here's how to do it..... you put up an alternate board with only cash amounts ranging from $100 to $1000 plus whammies and invite people in the audience to take one spin, maybe win a little cash, or hit a whammy and go sit down.  But I wish if the show is gonna be a full hour,  they should just play two regular games with separate sets of three contestants.   The bonus portion being the last full half hour kinda makes it drag....the regular games are more exciting.

Edited by Swenson
  • Love 2

Granted, I wasn't a huge fan of this back in the day, but the ending of round two was one of the best I've seen so far. All the back and forth, passing spins and ending on a whammy!

The bonus round, however ...

This week had a better first half and last week had a better bonus round. The back and forth is fun. 

And they took my comment from last season....they made a whammy for when you are already wiped out. 

• Love 2

The best part of the old show was when spins would keep getting passed back and forth.   But the number of + one spins this episode was insane.

I was really hoping the woman contestant would.   Both of the guys were way OTT and annoying.

I tend to prefer word or trivia games, but there's something great about this revival.  I'm not riveted for an hour, but it's great to watch while I'm folding laundry or whatever, just real feel-good TV from my point of view.

Elizabeth seems really genuinely engaged and is, I think, a perfect fit.  The contestants are also pretty well-selected for me.  They're mostly fine in the question round and few of them grate on me during the rest of the game.

They also pitch the family backstory and inspirational hopes/dreams of it all pretty well.  Some other shows push it way too hard and it can seem trite, even irritating.  But something about the way it's done here really gets me on their side.

Finally, did Tillman's friend remind anyone else in look and voice of Drew Carey?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

They also pitch the family backstory and inspirational hopes/dreams of it all pretty well.  Some other shows push it way too hard and it can seem trite, even irritating.  But something about the way it's done here really gets me on their side.

I think it helps that all the sob stories and dreams come during the descriptions of their custom prizes during the bonus round. Doing it like that does make it feel more organic. Like going for the handicap van a couple eps ago.

2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Finally, did Tillman's friend remind anyone else in look and voice of Drew Carey?

YES! I kept telling my wife that 2000's era Drew Carey time traveled onto the set.

Tillman's father was a complete treasure.  Even with Tillman not winning much money, I hope he gets to take more flights.  Once things are a little more normal, of course.

• Love 1

I'm watching the episode right now, sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see who wins and goes on to the bonus round.  Except, not since they showed clips from the bonus round at least 4 times during the Celebrity Family Feud that aired right before this.  

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Except, not since they showed clips from the bonus round at least 4 times during the Celebrity Family Feud that aired right before this.  

Just another reason to ditch cable. I don't think I've watched live tv and ads in over 10 years. Before ditching it was skipping with a DVR. Now it is just streaming the episode. 

(edited)

I have a crush on Elizabeth.  She's just awesome.  And she does great as host.  She has fun, the way she likes to ride on top of the podium when it makes the turn is pretty sexy if no one minds me saying that.    I sure never saw Peter Tomarken do that.  Hope you're resting well Pete....you were the man.

And I think Jason did the right thing by walking.  He won the car he needed, the fishing boat, I was thinking there was a lot of celebrating and man it would really suck if he hit a whammy because they'd been cruel to the other two players.  Happy he didn't get too greedy.  Good 4 u man!

Edited by Swenson