Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: SHTF

• Start Topic

J faces the consequences of his missteps with Mia. Pope worries about Smurf's disappearance, while Smurf visits someone from her past. Craig grows frustrated with Deran's secrecy after Deran recruits him for a dangerous assignment.

Airing Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Was Pope in Angela’s room throwing stuff out?  

So Smurf was puking, bleeding, and passed out now she seems fine.  I would think with metastasized cancer she would be in some pain.  

• Love 4
(edited)

J told the truth and brought the cash (I had a feeling he needed to do this). Why not finish the story, tell them he killed Mia and they will no longer be a problem? Now the boys still don't trust him.

Deran shouldn't make protection promises he can't keep. Nice plan to jump a cop in broad daylight! Good for Craig to back out!

Angela said those magic words J doesn't want to hear: Pope will be in charge after Smurf is gone! And J's silent alarm went off....she's gotta go!

Poor taco truck guy tried to stare at Angela's ass but she was wearing that big coat (in probably 90 degrees).

J is wicked, cold and calculated. Take Angela to the old neighborhood to get that drug feeling again. Slip her extra money if she wanted buy from her old dealer. Smoke weed in front of her for an extra boost.  He just should have offered to take her on a boat ride and end it quickly!

Young Smurf sees Jed hit his wife while his kid watches and thinks to herself: when I have my kids  (I'll one up Jed), I'll do drugs in front of them by the time they reach 9 years old.

Maybe Smurf wants to go out with a bang and rob one more bank!

Lena has already forgotten Pope and moved on! No other parent raised an issue this "stranger" starts hugging her?

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 10
(edited)

Really liked this episode. I think Smurf is after Jed's gold, that's what I'm guessing was behind the other door in the bunker. Stealing a cool million would be a great way to go out...if she's going out. 

I love how they write J. He and Smurf are the only ones playing chess, the rest are stuck on checkers. And I think he's been on to Angela for a long time (I've thought from the start - like several here - that she's an informant). The cash/taco truck/memory lane stuff was brilliant. 

Finn Cole seems to have that "it factor." As soon as I saw him on Peaky Blinders I knew he'd have a bright future ahead of himself. 

BTW, I think if push came to shove, Deran would choose Adrian over his family. 

Edited by I-Kare
  • Love 9
34 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Lena has already forgotten Pope and moved on! No other parent raised an issue this "stranger" starts hugging her?

So true and so awkward!  That story line is done and I hope we don't see any more Lena drama.  Let her live a normal life!

So was Craig really clueless that Renn was having his baby???  Since they never showed her telling him, I got to the point of "Well it's so obvious, they don't feel they have to"  But now, Craig is totally dumbfounded, like it never even occurred to him that it was his??  We know he's no rocket scientist, but that's pretty stupid even for Craig!

• Love 3

Sometimes I think Pope is the scariest Cody, but then J does something and I'm like ....what the hell? Who taught you to be so damn devious? Cause as soon as he heard Angela say Pope would be in charge, you could actually see him plotting. He played it perfectly too. Pope would kill me yes, but J would set my world on fire before he also killed me.

Deran, when did you pass Craig for peak dumbass? Planning to hit him in broad daylight? Outside a cop bar? And Craig having to talk sense into you? Take a step back, please.

Young Smurf with the shit show that is Colin and his brother, Jesus. No wonder Pope is how he is with that running through his veins and her stellar parenting. She wants to hit that bunker with all that gold, I bet you. 

JoMo did a decent American accent. Although all I could think of was Klaus Mikaelson in the hollers😂

• Love 4

Would you buy a taco from that guy? Yuck.

I think Smurf's plan is twofold.  She is looking to steal whatever the clod has in his basement, guns, gold, MRE rations, whatever.  Plus, she wants to take some revenge on him for his treatment of his wife, however long ago it was.  She was irate back then, and barely holding it in.

Uh, Deran, cops are usually armed, even off duty.  You better make the first hit count, because there won't be a second.

An 11 pound infant?  Poor Renn!

Jed did a good job illustrating one of the fallacies of the prepper movement.  Yes, paper money might be worthless, but so might be gold.  Either one is just a medium of exchange, and both rely on the willingness of both parties to accept the terms of exchange.  The reason paper money came about is that, literally, you can't carry enough gold around with you all the time to carry out business.  It's just too heavy.  The other problem is the idea of the bunker.  It's safe and secure, and has only one way in.  But it has only one way out, too.  A decided disadvantage if that way is blocked.

• Love 4

Dam it...my audio had a glitch the first half hour of this show and I missed what the conversation was about with Deran and Adrian. Could someone enlighten me? I find this part of the show is really getting to the boiling point, and interesting. The rest is getting monotonous .

The audio came back on the second  half and still couldn't  make out in the Flashback why the brothers were fighting.

• Love 1

What everyone mentioned. Especially Jay smoking the joint and leaving money right in front of the ex junkie who contributed to his mother's demise. I doubt the trip to the neighborhood was legit to begin with. I thought gps'd car led to a parking lot. Jay probably had to retrieve his mother there on occasion.

I think Jay didn't want to admit to murder, I think Pope knew/understood just as he knew who Mia's uncle was.

Although Jay worked Angela she also probed Jay for information about the Cody's business and now knows Jay knows a lot more about the business since he was left in charge. But alot of that business was handled above board with power of attorney so I don't think she can give the authorities much new information.

I wonder if Janine had any business with the brother after their initial meeting. I don't think he would let her hang out and/or do business with her decades later out of the blue.

I'm wondering if Frankie tipped Mia & friend about the heist out of revenge for them robbing her source/employer for the art heist. She's smart and patient enough to figure that out for herself.  Or like Jay said he was followed around and Mia was smart enough to realize what they were up to. But they knew THE time it would happen so that tell's me it was someone much closer to the inner circle-Angela trying to create division to get the remainder of the crew and sources after she rats out others?

• Love 2

Finally, after nine episodes, the flashbacks start to make sense. And for a heist of the magnitude that Smurf has in mind, she damn well better have a pie ready.

I don't think J is still comfortable with killing people outright. Passive-aggressive is more his style; we saw that with Morgan and now with Angela. 

• Love 3

J told the truth and brought the cash (I had a feeling he needed to do this). Why not finish the story, tell them he killed Mia and they will no longer be a problem? Now the boys still don't trust him.

I wondered about this too. The only thing I can think of is that he doesn't want to tip off his uncles that he's a lot more dangerous than they know. They still think of him as a kid and I guess he prefers it that way. 

BTW, I think if push came to shove, Deran would choose Adrian over his family. 

I wondered about this as well. He was looking pretty conflicted there after Pierce left the bar.

But now, Craig is totally dumbfounded, like it never even occurred to him that it was his??  We know he's no rocket scientist, but that's pretty stupid even for Craig!

Last season he asked if it was his and she said no. I guess he took her word for it. 

• Love 3

So was Adrian trying lowkey push Deran up to go after Livengood? Assaulting a DEA agent is next-level, especially if he dies. Poor Deran is a fool for love. Adrian must have that good good. 🤔

Doomsday preppers. Oy. Straight up nuts but possibly filthy rich in gold.

And then Angela overplayed her hand. But J ain't no dummy. He basically maneuvered her to get back on drugs and she had no clue.

Poor Lena looked terrified of Pope. She now knows what a good life is and for sure doesn't want to get mixed up with those bad Codys again.

I'm surprised Smurf waited this long to hit the preppers. Guess she kept that one in her hip pocket. As armed as they are it might be a doomsday job for the Codys though.

He just should have offered to take her on a boat ride and end it quickly!

Nah, this way he didn't have to get his hands or his clothes dirty. 🙄

So was Craig really clueless that Renn was having his baby???

I'm thinking Craig better get a DNA test before he starts passing out cigars. The baby did kind of look like him though. And is already big like he is.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

So was Craig really clueless that Renn was having his baby???  Since they never showed her telling him, I got to the point of "Well it's so obvious, they don't feel they have to"  But now, Craig is totally dumbfounded, like it never even occurred to him that it was his??  We know he's no rocket scientist, but that's pretty stupid even for Craig!

Didn't she initially tell Craig it wasn't his baby?

14 hours ago, I-Kare said:

I love how they write J. He and Smurf are the only ones playing chess, the rest are stuck on checkers. And I think he's been on to Angela for a long time (I've thought from the start - like several here - that she's an informant). The cash/taco truck/memory lane stuff was brilliant.

I don't think J  considered Angela to be the informant until she mentioned Pope told her about the latest job. He didn't trust her from jump, though. I've actually wondered why the family hasn't seemed to suspect Angela as soon as Smurf said there's a snitch somewhere. 

I am fine with Emily Deschanel but this role could have been played by any actress. TPTB hyped up her guest starring and it's amounted to nothing interesting. And I thought Deni Leary's guest run was overhyped but Billy was an asshole with entertaining moments. I feel like Angela hasn't done anything but take up space. 

14 hours ago, mxc90 said:

J is wicked, cold and calculated. Take Angela to the old neighborhood to get that drug feeling again. Slip her extra money if she wanted buy from her old dealer. Smoke weed in front of her for an extra boost.  He just should have offered to take her on a boat ride and end it quickly!

I see it as J thinking why add another body to his list and put suspicion on him / the family when he can just give her access to the means which to destroy her own credibility plus possibly take herself out permanently?

Whew, Jed is awful. And have we ever been told what happened to Colin? For all of Smurfs narcissism, I think she actually does care for him so I'm curious where he went after she gave birth to their twins. 

• Love 4

Poor Lena looked terrified of Pope.

She still looks like The Saddest Little Girl in the Whole, Wide World©.

Whew, Jed is awful. And have we ever been told what happened to Colin? For all of Smurfs narcissism, I think she actually does care for him so I'm curious where he went after she gave birth to their twins. 

I honestly cannot keep track of who is who in these dumb flashbacks. So, Smurf started out with Jake, and ended up with Colin? Or was it the other way around? Is Jed Jake's brother or Colin's brother? Who was she with in last night's episode?

When she was sitting on the porch in the present day story she called the guy Jake. 

• Love 2

IMO....

when Angela revealed to J that Pope “trusts her”...and had told her about the job....

it didn'tmatter to J whether she was an informant or not....bottom line..

she knew too much.

So he set it all up for her to succumb to her habit.

with J’s most recent experience trusting someone (Mia)...and the results being such a disaster....he’s on guard. Big time.

it will be interesting to see how Angela partaking smack plays out..

does she OD?... go back to house obvi wasted? Looking forward to seeing 

• Love 2

After the payoff in last nights episode, I can overlook all of those Smurf flashbacks.  All of her back story has led up to finding out that she thinks that there's a stockpile of gold in that bunker and she's recruiting her boys to steal it.    However, I wonder if Smurf is doing this for her own ego, to show that she's still a vital part of the gang even with cancer, or she's looking for a one big last jackpot to leave for the kids.   

I really want Smurf to kick that lurker Angela OUT ASAP.   She's a waste of screen time.   

When Pope had that meltdown while cleaning up Smurf's bedroom, I got the impression that even though he seems to hate her much of the time, he got hit with reality that she's DYING telling Craig and Deran and he couldn't handle it.  He felt the need to seek out comfort from seeing Lena and the poor kid looked terrified.  It made me sad for Pope and his lack of appropriate coping skills and no stable support system.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Didn't she initially tell Craig it wasn't his baby?

Yes, but the way she said it, she didn't even believe it.  She seemed like she was deciding if she should tell him and decided against it.  From a writing perspective, if it's not Craig's baby, there is zero reason for this story line.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I honestly cannot keep track of who is who in these dumb flashbacks. So, Smurf started out with Jake, and ended up with Colin? Or was it the other way around? Is Jed Jake's brother or Colin's brother? Who was she with in last night's episode?

Jake is Craig's dad that we met a few seasons ago and who she dated first. She and Colin hooked up when they dumped that car off a cliff. Colin is the one she is with now in the flashbacks and who is Pope & Julia's father. Jed is Colin's deranged, abusive gold-hoarding brother that we met last night both in the young version and the older version. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I wondered about this too. The only thing I can think of is that he doesn't want to tip off his uncles that he's a lot more dangerous than they know. They still think of him as a kid and I guess he prefers it that way. 

When Deran called him"Smurf's little errand boy" that must have bothered him. One day he is going to unleash some pent up fury on one of his uncles.

13 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Would you buy a taco from that guy? Yuck.

Maybe J was hoping she would get food poisoning while hooked on drugs.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

When she was sitting on the porch in the present day story she called the guy Jake. 

Smurf started with Jake and is now with Colin.

Jed and Colin are brothers. Jed is the on the porch present day.

Is young Jed a mutant with the power of teleportation? When young Smurf (alone in the bathroom/door closed) dropped head to wash her face, the next second as she rose up .....Jed was right behind her. 

5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Poor Lena looked terrified of Pope.

So terrified, she couldn't put a sentence together. Mm-Hmmm!  

• LOL 1

After looking at his wife's cowed and pinched face I am hoping somebody takes out formerly Vamp Klaus' abusive ass out ASAP.

Does anybody else doubt that Smurf is actually dying?  I don't think Cancer is a match for her.

• Love 2

All of her back story has led up to finding out that she thinks that there's a stockpile of gold in that bunker and she's recruiting her boys to steal it.    However, I wonder if Smurf is doing this for her own ego, to show that she's still a vital part of the gang even with cancer, or she's looking for a one big last jackpot to leave for the kids.    

I've seen it posited elsewhere that Smurf knows this hit is too big of a risk and she's intending to go out with a bang and take the boys down with her. But one of them will survive. Probably J.

16 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Is young Jed a mutant with the power of teleportation? When young Smurf (alone in the bathroom/door closed) dropped head to wash her face, the next second as she rose up .....Jed was right behind her. 

So terrified, she couldn't put a sentence together. Mm-Hmmm!  

Well, he is Klaus Michaelson :P

14 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I've seen it posited elsewhere that Smurf knows this hit is too big of a risk and she's intending to go out with a bang and take the boys down with her. But one of them will survive. Probably J.

Putting this in spoiler just in case

Spoiler

The show just got renewed for a 5th season so I hope that at least some survive

Aw Craig became a daddy. Now I'm just curious if they are going to name him Crest lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

Aw Craig became a daddy. Now I'm just curious if they are going to name him Crest lol

I think Colgate or Pepsodent would be a good choice!😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Jed and Colin are brothers. Jed is the on the porch present day.

Oh. I could have sworn she called him "Jake" on the front porch in the present-day story. That must have been what threw me. Thanks all!

Does Smurf think she's being "sexy," with her lips poked out and walking like she's got a stick in her back?  If so, that's sad because she looks like a life sized dummy and all she needs is a ventriloquist to move her lips. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
On 7/24/2019 at 3:01 PM, Chick2Chic said:

Jake is Craig's dad that we met a few seasons ago and who she dated first. She and Colin hooked up when they dumped that car off a cliff. Colin is the one she is with now in the flashbacks and who is Pope & Julia's father. Jed is Colin's deranged, abusive gold-hoarding brother that we met last night both in the young version and the older version. 

I don’t remember meeting Craig’s dad yet..I’m menopausal 🥴

however I DO remember Deran’s dad “Billy” (who showed up with Frankie...btw but she stayed when Billy left...not before he broke into Deran’s safe at the bar...IIRC...didn’t he leave a note or something about Deran’s DOB?...suggesting that was the combination for safe (and must not be that bad of a dad since he remembered the birthday date)...

IMO the “baby in the belly” of young Smurf is actually ‘babies”...as in twins Pope an Julia...Janine’s Smurf’s first pregnancy...then Craig came along..and Deran is the baby...son of Dennis Leary character...”Billie”.

• Useful 1

J is probably the scariest member of the family, he is ice cold and devious as hell when  he wants something or someone screws with him. Pope might beat the shit out of you, but J will burn your life to the ground with one raised eyebrow. 

I think if push really comes to shove, Deran might choose Adrian over his family. He has always been bitter that Smurf pushed him into a life of crime when he just wanted to surf, and this might be his version of retroactively getting revenge on her or choosing that life over the one she decided he was going to have. Or he just really loves Adrian and love does crazy things to people. 

God dang, no wonder Pope and Julia were/are so messed up. Between Smurfs god awful parenting and the amount of violent and unstable people, including an abusive doomesday prepper and HIS abusive dad and whatever is up with their dad in their family tree, plus Smurfs mom who pimped her out, you can see how hard things would be for them. This whole show is like a pamphlet on the many ways NOT to raise a child. It is interesting that, like when she was talking to that woman who owed her money, Smurf gets more ideas about using kids as trained soldiers or using them to get more things you want.

Smurf is off to find a literal pot of gold!

• Love 2

I don’t remember meeting Craig’s dad yet..I’m menopausal 🥴

Smurf had Craig's dad do some recon work when she was tracking down the guy who bailed on her and her mother when she was a teenager - it was the guy who sold classic cars and she pretended to be a buyer. I think that was actually Season 2 though.

Also, he asked "does Craig look like me" and that was the only reference to him being Craig's father.

• Love 2