Type keyword(s) to search

Girls Next Door - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved this show while it was on. Holly Madison got a lot of hate, but she was always my favorite. I thought Kendra could be funny but was mostly annoying. I could not live with someone like her. And Bridget was just super, super sad. Everyone thought Holly was so pathetic for begging Hugh to marry and impregnate her, but I'll never forget the episode where Bridget was crying because her evening class (to get her masters degree) partially conflicted with the Playboy shoot and although Bridget got to participate, she wouldn't be in as much of the spread as the other two. She was actually in tears over not being in as many pictures as Kendra and Holly, despite all three being on the cover together. Her life's ambition was to be jack off material. Sad.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I liked all the girls for the most part because they all seemed like decent people. They didn’t have the meanness that so many reality stars have. I do remember Bridget crying because she missed out on part of the photoshoot too.   I also thought it was weird when the women would get emotional being Playmate of the Year or whatever. You are right in that it’s winning “jack off material” of the year, not a Nobel Peace Prize. I suppose it is flattering to be considered the hottest of the hot...

What shocked me more was when Bridget got down to pasties and a thong in front of her step dad. I think posing nude is weird enough, but hopefully your family never sees the pictorial. To be almost nude right in front of them, yikes. There was also a Playmate (Sara Underwood) whose father looked at all her photos. I guess the reason the ladies are so comfortable with the nudity is because it’s no big deal in their families. To each his own. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I remember liking this show too. Hef's secretary Mary seemed to be something of a mother to the girls and took everything in stride, like there wasn't anything she hadn't heard before. I liked Kendra's mom too. She was cool with the arrangement since she considered Hef a big step up from the guys Kendra used to see (although being able to go to mansion parties probably didn't hurt). Can't say I recall much after the original three girls left. I wish they'd have put more effort into Bridget's travel series; it might have lasted more than the one season.

• Love 3

I remember Bridget being upset about that too and while it's sad that she was in tears at the thought of missing out being in more pictures, I was glad that she prioritized going to class. If I were her I would have been doubly mad because when your boyfriend is in charge of the magazine, it seems like you should be able to schedule a photo shoot at a time when you don't have any conflicts. Like somehow that was the ONLY time that they could book a photographer?

• Love 7
3 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I remember liking this show too. Hef's secretary Mary seemed to be something of a mother to the girls and took everything in stride, like there wasn't anything she hadn't heard before. I liked Kendra's mom too. She was cool with the arrangement since she considered Hef a big step up from the guys Kendra used to see (although being able to go to mansion parties probably didn't hurt). Can't say I recall much after the original three girls left. I wish they'd have put more effort into Bridget's travel series; it might have lasted more than the one season.

Yes. With the women being so young, it's nice that they had a sort of mother figure there.

I wasn't a fan of Kendra's mom. My impression is she cared a little too much about the lifestyle than her daughter. 

I do wish Bridget had her own show. She has the most positive, cute personality. 

Just now, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I remember Bridget being upset about that too and while it's sad that she was in tears at the thought of missing out being in more pictures, I was glad that she prioritized going to class. If I were her I would have been doubly mad because when your boyfriend is in charge of the magazine, it seems like you should be able to schedule a photo shoot at a time when you don't have any conflicts. Like somehow that was the ONLY time that they could book a photographer?

Yes, it's good she ultimately went to school. Hef did schedule another shoot when Bridget told him how important it was to her to be in just as many pictures as Holly and Kendra. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Bridget just bugged me. She seemed so obsessed with being perceived as hot- like even an advanced degree couldn't compete with being Playmate of the Year.

Kendra was lazy AF. I remember an episode where each girl got Hef a bday present, and Kendra's present was a blown up sexy photo of herself. She gave it to him unframed because she didn't "have time" to buy a frame.

I also remember the time she complained it was so stressful to try and light a birthday candle on a windy day. That was honestly an accomplishment for her when she got it lit, and then she had to rest by the pool.

No one seemed to like Holly but me. I felt sorry for her but I also thought she could be pretty funny when she wanted to be.

• Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, Tatum said:

Bridget just bugged me. She seemed so obsessed with being perceived as hot- like even an advanced degree couldn't compete with being Playmate of the Year.

Kendra was lazy AF. I remember an episode where each girl got Hef a bday present, and Kendra's present was a blown up sexy photo of herself. She gave it to him unframed because she didn't "have time" to buy a frame.

I also remember the time she complained it was so stressful to try and light a birthday candle on a windy day. That was honestly an accomplishment for her when she got it lit, and then she had to rest by the pool.

No one seemed to like Holly but me. I felt sorry for her but I also thought she could be pretty funny when she wanted to be.

I think a lot of women know they’re attractive but still want that validation of being Playmate hot. Bridget said Playboy set her standard of beauty when she was really little. I would never pose nude, but I do get how it makes the women feel good that they’re given that title. I wouldn’t be crying tears over it though. 

I wasn’t a massive fan of Kendra’s mom, but I remember her concerns about Kendra leaving the mansion. She knew the girls were spoiled in that they could just call up delicious food anytime they wanted. Most people handle full-time jobs, cooking, cleaning, etc. I do cut her slack because she was scarcely more than a child. She was the youngest of the three. 

I liked Holly too. I read her book, and I feel like I understand her a lot more. 

Edited by RealHousewife
ETA: Typo-I meant scarcely not sacredly.
  • Love 5
21 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I think a lot of women know they’re attractive but still want that validation of being Playmate hot. Bridget said Playboy set her standard of beauty when she was really little. I would never pose nude, but I do get how it makes the women feel good that they’re given that title. I wouldn’t be crying tears over it though. 

I wasn’t a massive fan of Kendra’s mom, but I remember her concerns about Kendra leaving the mansion. She knew the girls were spoiled in that they could just call up delicious food anytime they wanted. Most people handle full-time jobs, cooking, cleaning, etc. I do cut her slack because she was sacredly more than a child. She was the youngest of the three. 

I liked Holly too. I read her book, and I feel like I understand her a lot more. 

You're right, she was just a kid, 18-19, and had some baggage from her teen years as well, but she just bugged the shit out of me. I mean, just SO lazy.

I think Patti made some parenting errors, but I did think her concern for Kendra moving out of the mansion and in with Hank was genuine. At that point, Kendra had zero life skills (I've read one of her books, and I'd argue she's still a moron even 15 years later), but had a pretty sweet setup to better herself, if she were so inclined. (Getting paid as a girlfriend and having no bills and minimal responsibilities would be great for someone wanting to put themselves through school. I mean, dry humping your roommate while your octogenarian boyfriend/boss watches isn't everyone's idea of a great career path, but if she had to do it anyways, her time could have been spent better than it was).

Instead, she moved in with a guy she'd been dating long distance for like 6 months and almost immediately got pregnant. I guess she did get another show out of it but Patti didn't know that would happen.

• Love 2

^ Yes, I agree her mother was right to be concerned about how Kendra would handle the real world. But I think most parents would be relieved she wanted to be with an age appropriate man and out of the sleazy situation. The show was light and fun, but I’ll never think it was a healthy environment for any of them, especially someone barely out of high school. 

What really turned me off was the ugliness that was on Kendra’s show and that boot camp show they appeared on. I wondered if the drama was a sham, but I don’t think Kendra is that good of an actress. She seemed so hurt by Patti. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

But I think most parents would be relieved she wanted to be with an age appropriate man and out of the sleazy situation.

I think Hank was a pretty awesome catch (now, if some unsavory things have come to light about him, I plead complete ignorance to that), and I would much prefer my daughter with someone like him than the paid girlfriend/show pony to a lecherous old man, but in Patti's defense, she didn't know enough back then to know whether or not Hank would be an upgrade to Hugh. Their relationship progressed very quickly- I think Patti said once that Hank and Kendra never even lived in the same state prior to getting engaged, so they were going from a 6 month old long distance relationship to an engagement and then immediate pregnancy. Patti may have been concerned it was an out of the frying pan and into the fire situation. 

Does Kendra still have a show? I tried to watch when it was on E!. The first season was really boring, but it did pick up once she had her baby. Then Hank was cut from the NFL and Kendra seemed to be struggling post partum (not necessarily PPD, but just a general struggle adjusting), and the show became too depressing. I didn't bother once it moved to WE.

Never watched Bridget's beach show, but I did give Holly's show (while she in Vegas) a try. She really outdid herself surrounding herself with completely vapid people. Although I did like Angel. But wow, she was dim.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Tatum said:

I think Hank was a pretty awesome catch (now, if some unsavory things have come to light about him, I plead complete ignorance to that), and I would much prefer my daughter with someone like him than the paid girlfriend/show pony to a lecherous old man, but in Patti's defense, she didn't know enough back then to know whether or not Hank would be an upgrade to Hugh. Their relationship progressed very quickly- I think Patti said once that Hank and Kendra never even lived in the same state prior to getting engaged, so they were going from a 6 month old long distance relationship to an engagement and then immediate pregnancy. Patti may have been concerned it was an out of the frying pan and into the fire situation. 

Does Kendra still have a show? I tried to watch when it was on E!. The first season was really boring, but it did pick up once she had her baby. Then Hank was cut from the NFL and Kendra seemed to be struggling post partum (not necessarily PPD, but just a general struggle adjusting), and the show became too depressing. I didn't bother once it moved to WE.

Never watched Bridget's beach show, but I did give Holly's show (while she in Vegas) a try. She really outdid herself surrounding herself with completely vapid people. Although I did like Angel. But wow, she was dim.

I thought Hank seemed like a nice guy and a major upgrade from her elderly boyfriend. I know there was a scandal, but I’m not sure if anyone could have predicted that. Hank’s parents also seemed to be great people. 

I don’t think Kendra has a show now, but someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I liked Holly’s show. It was pretty fun. I think I read E canceled it because they wanted to get away from anything remotely Playboy related, so they kept it wholesome with Kardashians...

Edited by RealHousewife
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 7/16/2019 at 9:59 PM, RealHousewife said:

I do wish Bridget had her own show. She has the most positive, cute personality. 

I was bummed when her pilot didn't get picked up. I love her YouTube videos and wish her Beach show would've done another season. I've been slammed for this in other threads but with all the muckiness out there it would be nice to have more happy, positive people on reality tv. Not everyone wants drama. I think that and E! changing directions is what killed Holly's World which I liked too. I liked seeing her life in Vegas.

Kendra? It kills me that almost 15 years later she's still the scattered, bratty, donkey braying person she was at 18. Back then I could shrug it off as age. Now it's just sad. I know she's terribly stunted but she's had plenty of resources to fix herself. 

I miss this show a lot. I snarked on some of the plots like everyone else but after reading Holly's books which I highly recommend, I understood a lot of the weird behaviors behind so much of their emotion. The tension in the house,the mind games going on behind the scenes, Holly's desperation that she wasn't good enough, Kendra's entitlement, Bridget's personality (she truly IS that happy, fun,positive, supportive person)

I remember when I bought the dvd's it was a shock that they were uncensored. Because of the blurring on tv, I didn't realize how much nudity they truly filmed. I'm not a prude at all but it was a whoa! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LemonSoda said:

I was bummed when her pilot didn't get picked up. I love her YouTube videos and wish her Beach show would've done another season. I've been slammed for this in other threads but with all the muckiness out there it would be nice to have more happy, positive people on reality tv. Not everyone wants drama. I think that and E! changing directions is what killed Holly's World which I liked too. I liked seeing her life in Vegas.

Kendra? It kills me that almost 15 years later she's still the scattered, bratty, donkey braying person she was at 18. Back then I could shrug it off as age. Now it's just sad. I know she's terribly stunted but she's had plenty of resources to fix herself. 

I miss this show a lot. I snarked on some of the plots like everyone else but after reading Holly's books which I highly recommend, I understood a lot of the weird behaviors behind so much of their emotion. The tension in the house,the mind games going on behind the scenes, Holly's desperation that she wasn't good enough, Kendra's entitlement, Bridget's personality (she truly IS that happy, fun,positive, supportive person)

I remember when I bought the dvd's it was a shock that they were uncensored. Because of the blurring on tv, I didn't realize how much nudity they truly filmed. I'm not a prude at all but it was a whoa! 

Me too! It's hard to feel sad when you watch Bridget. She's like a ray of sunshine. I admit I watch shows with drama, but I can only take so much of that. I LOVED that GND wasn't a bunch of people screaming and fighting. Bridget in particular is indeed a happy and positive person. I also liked Holly's World. I'm a girlie girl type so I related more to Bridget and Holly than I did to Kendra. I did think she was funny, I'm just not the physical, sporty type, and I thought Bridget and Holly both had more class. I wish we could get another show with one of the ladies. Bridget could even do a ghost show. I remember Holly talked about doing a makeover show, and I think she'd be amazing at it. 

I also recommend Holly's book and understood her behavior on GND much better. When I watched GND I thought she was confident in her looks and that she did legitimately like Hef and saw him as a sweet man. I was so sad when I read that he put her down, that she never felt pretty enough, some of the things he said to her were so ugly and harsh. I know he didn't keep all these young pretty girls around out of the goodness of his heart, but he did have a kind demeanor. I remember thinking Holly reminded me of Gwen Stefani, that she had the prettiest skin, and a banging body. She was a walking Barbie on the arm of someone old enough to be her grandfather, and because of Hef and the whole environment she was made to feel she wasn't good enough. 

Omg I was in shock about that too! It took me awhile to get used to watching it even on E. I thought, wow, these girls aren't shy! Then when I got the DVD's, it was like holy boobies! lol I think that's why the show was such a hit. Women loved watching the fun, glamorous lifestyle, and for men it was like a TV version of looking at Playboy. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Me too! It's hard to feel sad when you watch Bridget. She's like a ray of sunshine. I admit I watch shows with drama, but I can only take so much of that. I LOVED that GND wasn't a bunch of people screaming and fighting. Bridget in particular is indeed a happy and positive person. I also liked Holly's World. I'm a girlie girl type so I related more to Bridget and Holly than I did to Kendra. I did think she was funny, I'm just not the physical, sporty type, and I thought Bridget and Holly both had more class. I wish we could get another show with one of the ladies. Bridget could even do a ghost show. I remember Holly talked about doing a makeover show, and I think she'd be amazing at it. 

I also recommend Holly's book and understood her behavior on GND much better. When I watched GND I thought she was confident in her looks and that she did legitimately like Hef and saw him as a sweet man. I was so sad when I read that he put her down, that she never felt pretty enough, some of the things he said to her were so ugly and harsh. I know he didn't keep all these young pretty girls around out of the goodness of his heart, but he did have a kind demeanor. I remember thinking Holly reminded me of Gwen Stefani, that she had the prettiest skin, and a banging body. She was a walking Barbie on the arm of someone old enough to be her grandfather, and because of Hef and the whole environment she was made to feel she wasn't good enough. 

Omg I was in shock about that too! It took me awhile to get used to watching it even on E. I thought, wow, these girls aren't shy! Then when I got the DVD's, it was like holy boobies! lol I think that's why the show was such a hit. Women loved watching the fun, glamorous lifestyle, and for men it was like a TV version of looking at Playboy. 

Even with holy boobies! The show had a really fun, playful innocence about it. 

Where many shows strive for drama the GND kept it all off screen. It's amusing to listen to the commentary. Bridget is a ray of sunshine. Again I'm really surprised she didn't pick up more tv work not only for personality but she actually has the education for it. I think if she were more consistent with her YouTube channel she could make a good living from it. 

I was bummed when Holly's World was cancelled, I really enjoyed seeing her Vegas life, create a life for herself away from the mansion. I saw Peepshow a few times and I'd love to see her headline another Vegas show. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Even with holy boobies! The show had a really fun, playful innocence about it. 

Where many shows strive for drama the GND kept it all off screen. It's amusing to listen to the commentary. Bridget is a ray of sunshine. Again I'm really surprised she didn't pick up more tv work not only for personality but she actually has the education for it. I think if she were more consistent with her YouTube channel she could make a good living from it. 

I was bummed when Holly's World was cancelled, I really enjoyed seeing her Vegas life, create a life for herself away from the mansion. I saw Peepshow a few times and I'd love to see her headline another Vegas show. 

I totally agree. I like that even though they were all grown women and Bridget was even in  her 30's, they had fun with life. If they love pink, dressing up, getting super into themes and holidays, why the heck not? Bridget seemed almost apologetic in one of her youtube videos for a purse or something, because I think it was meant for kids? I forgot exactly what it was, but if you're not hurting anyone, I see nothing wrong with it. Life's too short! Childhood is even shorter, and I see nothing wrong with holding on to a little bit of that innocent fun. 

I also enjoyed the commentary. It definitely changed the last season. lol I'm also surprised that Bridget didn't stay in the spotlight as much. She's sweet, fun, attractive, and yes educated. She also has a work ethic. I know the pilot she did wasn't picked up because they asked her "where's the drama?" She said her life's not drama, and she doesn't want it to be. I really respect that. Her personal happiness is more important than being on TV. I know she really wants to be a mom, and I think she'd be a wonderful mother. She's struggled with getting pregnant, and she's now 45. I hope one way or another (maybe adoption) she will have a family. 

I also loved seeing Holly's life in Vegas. I never saw her in Peepshow. How was it? 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:I totally agree. I like that even though they were all grown women and Bridget was even in  her 30's, they had fun with life. If they love pink, dressing up, getting super into themes and holidays, why the heck not? Bridget seemed almost apologetic in one of her youtube videos for a purse or something, because I think it was meant for kids? I forgot exactly what it was, but if you're not hurting anyone, I see nothing wrong with it. Life's too short! Childhood is even shorter, and I see nothing wrong with holding on to a little bit of that innocent fun. 

I also enjoyed the commentary. It definitely changed the last season. lol I'm also surprised that Bridget didn't stay in the spotlight as much. She's sweet, fun, attractive, and yes educated. She also has a work ethic. I know the pilot she did wasn't picked up because they asked her "where's the drama?" She said her life's not drama, and she doesn't want it to be. I really respect that. Her personal happiness is more important than being on TV. I know she really wants to be a mom, and I think she'd be a wonderful mother. She's struggled with getting pregnant, and she's now 45. I hope one way or another (maybe adoption) she will have a family. 

I also loved seeing Holly's life in Vegas. I never saw her in Peepshow. How was it? 

I've never ever understood the need for anyone to apologize for liking what they like especially if it's something innocently fun that isn't hurting anyone. 

Again, I'm still very surprised Bridget didn't get picked up for more hosting gigs. She's fun, she has a masters degree in broadcasting. Why not? And even if the Travel Channel didn't want to do more Beaches they could've sent her to worldwide amusement parks or spooky places. 

That fertility struggle video had me in tears. She touched on something that no one discusses though. You can freeze eggs but they don't always survive the thaw or are usable. That's the worst because you think well I did this so I can have children someday! For it to be worthless is truly heartbreaking. 

Bridget has also shown to be a great friend, she's still friends with many of the girls other people discarded. 

Peepshow was great! I can hear the snickering lol But it was. I liked the storyline how the woman only finds love after she finds herself, loves who she is. I loved the costumes, the dancing too. Holly was amazing in it. I was really surprised by how great she was because except for her time on Dancing With The Stars she doesn't come from a dance or performance background. I saw Coco in it too. She was also great.

On Holly's World Instead of extending the cast members for drama, I wish they would've focused more on the becoming a performer aspect and life in Vegas. While it's known for its endless fun and party atmosphere away from the strip it's a normal town. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/21/2019 at 4:41 PM, LemonSoda said:

I've never ever understood the need for anyone to apologize for liking what they like especially if it's something innocently fun that isn't hurting anyone. 

Again, I'm still very surprised Bridget didn't get picked up for more hosting gigs. She's fun, she has a masters degree in broadcasting. Why not? And even if the Travel Channel didn't want to do more Beaches they could've sent her to worldwide amusement parks or spooky places. 

That fertility struggle video had me in tears. She touched on something that no one discusses though. You can freeze eggs but they don't always survive the thaw or are usable. That's the worst because you think well I did this so I can have children someday! For it to be worthless is truly heartbreaking. 

Bridget has also shown to be a great friend, she's still friends with many of the girls other people discarded. 

Peepshow was great! I can hear the snickering lol But it was. I liked the storyline how the woman only finds love after she finds herself, loves who she is. I loved the costumes, the dancing too. Holly was amazing in it. I was really surprised by how great she was because except for her time on Dancing With The Stars she doesn't come from a dance or performance background. I saw Coco in it too. She was also great.

On Holly's World Instead of extending the cast members for drama, I wish they would've focused more on the becoming a performer aspect and life in Vegas. While it's known for its endless fun and party atmosphere away from the strip it's a normal town. 

Totally agree. If an adult woman wants to collect dolls, who cares? 

Agree about the hosting too.

My heart breaks for her regarding her fertility struggle. She is so sweet and nurturing, you just know she’d be a wonderful mother. She’s so pretty and Nick is such a hottie, their kids would have no choice but be beautiful. 

Yes, she was beyond kind and thoughtful to her friends. I loved her gift giving! Besides Izabella, she seemed to get along with just about everyone else. Definitely not the catty mean girl type that was apparently at the mansion for awhile. 

Holly owned Vegas for awhile, so I’m not surprised she was great! I wished she got to live happily ever after with Pasquale, but at least she got two kids. 

ITA about Holly’s World. I didn’t need contrived drama with Playmates and stuff. I found Holly, her showgirl life in Vegas and her friends all interesting enough. 

I hope the girls know they still have fans who’d love to watch them on TV again. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4
On 7/20/2019 at 11:26 PM, LemonSoda said:

I'm reading that book now (on your recommendation), and I am completely shocked by how predatory and exploitative the depiction of Hef is.

The "girlfriends" were neither actual girlfriends (which I am sure everyone already strongly suspected), nor where they employees, paid to accompany him around and stoke his ego on command (which is what I thought they were, with the very occasional, 'oh what the hell' fuck thrown in there). Hugh may have had a physical type, but more so he had a non physical type- women that were either in severe financial dire straits or women that were so beat down emotionally they were unable to look elsewhere and change their situation. It sounds like Hef really relied on the girlfriends to bully and belittle each other as they were doing his dirty work for him. I haven't gotten far enough in the book to see if that dynamic changes when it was dropped to just the three girlfriends.

I had always gotten the impression that Hef was just a mostly harmless horny old man, willing to throw a couple hundred thousand bucks a year on young women who liked the Hollywood lifestyle and considered being a girlfriend a business transaction- or at least a mutually beneficial arrangement that may or may not have involved sex. I figured he probably thought at his age, with kids from each previous marriage, maybe better to just have casual relationships here and there, keep things uncomplicated.

But the book portrays him as someone who mostly was attracted to not bleached blond hair and a double D cup, but someone who was desperate and had completely limited or no other options and bonus if she also had a severe case of self doubt or self hate. These women may have been adults, but what Hef was doing was just loathsome.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Tatum said:

I'm reading that book now (on your recommendation), and I am completely shocked by how predatory and exploitative the depiction of Hef is.

The "girlfriends" were neither actual girlfriends (which I am sure everyone already strongly suspected), nor where they employees, paid to accompany him around and stoke his ego on command (which is what I thought they were, with the very occasional, 'oh what the hell' fuck thrown in there). Hugh may have had a physical type, but more so he had a non physical type- women that were either in severe financial dire straits or women that were so beat down emotionally they were unable to look elsewhere and change their situation. It sounds like Hef really relied on the girlfriends to bully and belittle each other as they were doing his dirty work for him. I haven't gotten far enough in the book to see if that dynamic changes when it was dropped to just the three girlfriends.

I had always gotten the impression that Hef was just a mostly harmless horny old man, willing to throw a couple hundred thousand bucks a year on young women who liked the Hollywood lifestyle and considered being a girlfriend a business transaction- or at least a mutually beneficial arrangement that may or may not have involved sex. I figured he probably thought at his age, with kids from each previous marriage, maybe better to just have casual relationships here and there, keep things uncomplicated.

But the book portrays him as someone who mostly was attracted to not bleached blond hair and a double D cup, but someone who was desperate and had completely limited or no other options and bonus if she also had a severe case of self doubt or self hate. These women may have been adults, but what Hef was doing was just loathsome.

Me too.

I definitely think Hugh knew which women were easier to manipulate and for him to have as girlfriends. I don't think all were in dire financial straights though. Some of them simply wanted to become Playmates, make it in Hollywood, experience something glamorous. Los Angeles is very expensive, and a lot of these ladies didn't want to live in/go back to their hometowns. A lot of women thought becoming a Playmate would lead to becoming a star like Pamela Anderson. Holly said her idol was Jenny McCarthy. Bridget was apparently married, an educated woman, and had a loving family back home in Lodi. I'm not sure if Holly felt comfortable going back home to her parents when she was about to be homeless. Izabella St. James went to law school. Brande Roderick is another one who loved her family, seemed confident in her beauty, but wanted to be a Playmate and make it in Hollywood. It sounded like Kendra was in the worst lifestyle prior to being a girlfriend. She grew up with a single mom and got caught in the wrong crowd as a teenager. I think there was probably a mix of women who had it really rough, and the mansion was almost a good thing for them to get them away from drugs and keep them off the streets. I think there were a lot of other women who were just willing to do anything to become Playmates/famous and experience the luxurious life. There aren't too many gigs where you don't work but live in a mansion, can order whatever delicious food you want, get a clothing allowance, all your salon services/plastic surgery covered, get to rub elbows with the rich and famous at parties and various events you wouldn't otherwise be able to attend. It's a situation that grosses me out in a lot of ways, but I can see why women decided to be a part of it at the same time. I couldn't bang someone my grandfather's age, but to each his own. 

• Love 3
(edited)
26 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Me too.

I definitely think Hugh knew which women were easier to manipulate and for him to have as girlfriends. I don't think all were in dire financial straights though. Some of them simply wanted to become Playmates, make it in Hollywood, experience something glamorous. Los Angeles is very expensive, and a lot of these ladies didn't want to live in/go back to their hometowns. A lot of women thought becoming a Playmate would lead to becoming a star like Pamela Anderson. Holly said her idol was Jenny McCarthy. Bridget was apparently married, an educated woman, and had a loving family back home in Lodi. I'm not sure if Holly felt comfortable going back home to her parents when she was about to be homeless. Izabella St. James went to law school. Brande Roderick is another one who loved her family, seemed confident in her beauty, but wanted to be a Playmate and make it in Hollywood. It sounded like Kendra was in the worst lifestyle prior to being a girlfriend. She grew up with a single mom and got caught in the wrong crowd as a teenager. I think there was probably a mix of women who had it really rough, and the mansion was almost a good thing for them to get them away from drugs and keep them off the streets. I think there were a lot of other women who were just willing to do anything to become Playmates/famous and experience the luxurious life. There aren't too many gigs where you don't work but live in a mansion, can order whatever delicious food you want, get a clothing allowance, all your salon services/plastic surgery covered, get to rub elbows with the rich and famous at parties and various events you wouldn't otherwise be able to attend. It's a situation that grosses me out in a lot of ways, but I can see why women decided to be a part of it at the same time. I couldn't bang someone my grandfather's age, but to each his own. 

But how Holly describes it really wasn’t that glamorous. Yes, they got free food, but, if Holly can be believed, Hef was very careful to keep the girls under his control. He discouraged Holly from having an outside job. He wouldn’t let her model for Hawaiian Tropic after she moved in the house. The girls were not allowed to talk to male staff members (more than what was absolutely necessary) or other men at the bar. They were given $1000 a week in cash, but that was a beauty allowance and Hugh had assistants watching what the girls bought. A girlfriend who was thought to be stockpiling her cash was either kicked out or lost her allowance. 

Also, Holly said they didn’t usually get to rub elbows with the famous people. She said Hef wouldn’t even bother to introduce them most times. 

Overall, she gives the impression that all the girls were invited to live in the mansion not just to provide sexual stimulation but also amusement for Hef as they squabbled with each other (more so in the pre Bridget and Kendra days) and begged Hef for magazine exposure. They were treated as brainless bimbos valued only for their looks and also treated as being completely interchangeable with each other. 

Some  of the girls did get sick of it and quit, but Hef seemed to have an eye for a girl who was either very badly off, or very easily manipulated. 

ETA- this was noted by TWOP, but Holly reiterated that mansion was fucking disgusting. Only recarpeted every decade while dogs were peeing on it every day. Furniture and decorations were purchased in the 70s and never replaced. 

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 5
Just now, Tatum said:

But how Holly describes it really wasn’t that glamorous. Yes, they got free food, but, if Holly can be believed, Hef was very careful to keep the girls under his control. He discouraged Holly from having an outside job. He wouldn’t let her model for Hawaiian Tropic after she moved in the house. The girls were not allowed to talk to male staff members (more than what was absolutely necessary) or other men at the bar. They were given $1000 a week in cash, but that was a beauty allowance and Hugh had assistants watching what the girls bought. A girlfriend who was thought to be stockpiling her cash was either kicked out or lost her allowance. 

Also, Holly said they didn’t usually get to rub elbows with the famous people. She said Hef wouldn’t even bother to introduce them most times. 

Overall, she gives the impression that all the girls were invited to live in the mansion not just to provide sexual stimulation but also amusement for Hef as they squabbled with each other (more so in the pre Bridget and Kendra days) and begged Hef for magazine exposure. They were treated as brainless bimbos valued only for their looks and also treated as being completely interchangeable with each other. 

Some  of the girls did get sick of it and quit, but Hef seemed to have an eye for a girl who was either very badly off, or very easily manipulated. 

He was definitely a lot stricter than people would think, even giving the grown women curfews. Hef was pretty jealous and threatened by men he thought he could lose the girls to, everyone from butlers to athletes. But I think for the average person, having famous people come over to the house you reside in to party would be pretty cool. So would attending some of the events that they all went to. Most people will never meet Justin Timberlake, Kid Rock, Pam Anderson, etc. At one point the girls were able to save $, but Hef became stricter with everything as time went on. He used to make the girls he dated Playmates until they started leaving him once they got the title. 

Hef definitely didn't value the women for anything they had to say. He thought they were so replaceable that GND could continue without Holly, Bridget, and Kendra. The show immediately went down the drain when the OG girls were replaced.

The girls who seemed the most out of place there (someone like Brande Roderick) definitely didn't last as long in the mansion. They experienced the situation until it wasn't fun anywhere and moved on. 

• Love 3
Just now, RealHousewife said:

He was definitely a lot stricter than people would think, even giving the grown women curfews. Hef was pretty jealous and threatened by men he thought he could lose the girls to, everyone from butlers to athletes. But I think for the average person, having famous people come over to the house you reside in to party would be pretty cool. So would attending some of the events that they all went to. Most people will never meet Justin Timberlake, Kid Rock, Pam Anderson, etc. At one point the girls were able to save $, but Hef became stricter with everything as time went on. He used to make the girls he dated Playmates until they started leaving him once they got the title. 

Hef definitely didn't value the women for anything they had to say. He thought they were so replaceable that GND could continue without Holly, Bridget, and Kendra. The show immediately went down the drain when the OG girls were replaced.

The girls who seemed the most out of place there (someone like Brande Roderick) definitely didn't last as long in the mansion. They experienced the situation until it wasn't fun anywhere and moved on. 

Well it sounds like circa late 1999 or early 2000, a fair number of women joined as a “girlfriend”, fucked Hef, got their playmate pictorial, then swanned off, thinking a modeling career was right around the corner. Holly made a good point though that the Jenny McCarthys and Pam Anderson’s of the world were by far the exception, not the rule, and most of the take the money and run girls faded back into obscurity immediately. But because Hef didn’t like being “used” he cracked down on the next clan of girlfriends. The need for control combined with declining funds overall led to a much less advantageous situation for the 2002-2004 girls. 

Hef  sounds like an emotionally abusive asshole. I wonder how he treated his wives. 

• Love 5

I love that this show’s thread is resurrected!!! 

This was totally one of my favorite early aught’s guilty pleasure shows—-it was all just so sugary and sweet, despite the dark pervy vibe that we all knew lurked below the shiny surface. No real drama, no faked fights or showmances, just a kooky little glimpse of life at the Playboy Mansion. Plus, all three of the gals were naturals onscreen and had their own varying doses of charisma and flavors to offer. I pretty much quit watching as soon as Holly, Bridget and Kendra left and the bimbo twins/Crystal moved in.

I loved Bridget the most because she had the sweetest most positive personality, but you knew she had a good heart and a real brain underneath the hair and makeup—any gal savvy enough to use her time at the mansion so wisely that she was able to snag TWO masters degrees is ace in my book! I dug her pets and her girly bedroom and her costumes too. I hope she’s doing okay still because I was pretty bummed she wasn’t able to stay as public as the other 2 gals post-show. I do follow her on Instagram and am happy she’s still with her hunky fiancée and that Winnie is still alive and well.

I didn’t like Holly all that much on the show at first, but she really grew on me over time—-I did appreciate her devotion to animals and her Hollywood glam style. Her books were all pretty good and I felt awful for her when I read how much Hugh put her down over the years; apparently he really loved to pit her and Kendra against each other, hence their slight tension over the span of the series. According to Holly, Kendra didn’t really make peace with her and Bridget and was pretty rude to them both after Holly released her first book.

And I can still hear that goofy theme song in my head!!

• Love 4

I’m so happy there are other fans of the show out there! 

And yes women like Pam and Jenny are few and far between. Holly now says she regrets all the nudity and that she wouldn’t want her daughter to be a Playmate. Unless you make it as a glamour model type, stuff like that can haunt you looking for work...

I know the women were expected to be arm candy, but a lot of the things Hef said were so cruel and unnecessary. He told Holly she looked  “old, hard, and cheap” at one point. He got on to Kendra about her weight. I’m not sure if he was ever critical of Bridget’s appearance, but I wouldn’t be surprised. They were all attractive, and I’m sure still looked perfectly lovely on his arm at their heaviest, which was probably still pretty freaking small. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Tatum said:

ETA- this was noted by TWOP, but Holly reiterated that mansion was fucking disgusting. Only recarpeted every decade while dogs were peeing on it every day. Furniture and decorations were purchased in the 70s and never replaced. 

Yes, I remember that!!! Holly also discussed in her book how oddly mundane Mansion life could be, almost like it was a retirement home for gross playboys. One night was classic films night, another was poker night, Sunday’s usually had some sort of theme/gathering, then once or twice a week they’d have to join Hugh for club night, which was basically them all piling into a limo, given various drugs to take by Hugh(Holly said his drug of choice was quaaludes, which he grossly called “thigh openers.”), sit in VIP talking to each other, then go home to have a big group orgy with Hugh. And they weren’t taking turns servicing Hugh, they had to get naked and make out with each other. She said lots of gals avoided getting intimate with Hugh by claiming they were on their period at the time...ugh...

• Love 3
(edited)

If it were a young, sexy guy juggling all these girlfriends, it probably would have been pretty sexy at the mansion. It could only be so sexy with an 80 something guy. Holly said some of the girls pretended to be into one another to get Hef going but that they were so not into it, if they had smart phones back then, they would have all been on their phones while messing around. 

ETA: Kendra is bi, and Izabella said she did mess around with a beautiful Playmate of the Year and that she enjoyed the experience...I think they must have been the exception. It’s only going to be so steamy when they’re all straight and all they have is Hef...

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 2

I'm so happy everyone is here! So much to discuss! 

What I found funny was how each mansion book that was dismissed as lies all pretty much mirror each other's stories. Everything from Holly's to Izabellas to Jill Ann who was completely dismissed as a crazed wannabe. (She was sadly murdered a few years ago) 

The show was awful once the girls left. I couldn't stand the Shannon twins but I'm very sad where they've ended up in life. I watched Somewhere recently, the Sofia Coppola film they had a small part in and despite my annoyance with them they were cute girls. 

Crystal photographed beautifully but no personality there. She was so blank. Even in her YouTube videos there's just nothing there. 

5 hours ago, Tatum said:

Holly's were great reads! Kendra's were a waste of my brain cells. Izabella's book was poorly written for such an educated person. Jill Ann's PDF floating around is um interesting, if anything for the photos. I actually went to her store years ago when she was advertising it on the GND forum lol. The official GND book is worth it for the cuteness if you can find it at a decent price. 

It's shocking how awful Hef was, how controlling. The whole I don't want you to work because it makes me jealous? Ugh! The toll on their minds, self worth breaks my heart. All the drama and fighting he masterminded? Terrible. 

His brother Keith seems to be the complete opposite. I posted about this on TWOP back in the day but a former co worker got a job through him. He was always helping out former bunnies, mansion goers so they could stay afloat. 

Also shocked by how grimy the mansion was. It got to where no one wanted to rent it for parties anymore because it was so bad. Did anyone see the article where the writer went for a movie screening and pointed out how bad everything was? 

• Love 5
(edited)

Definitely have a lot to dish!

I had no idea Jill Ann was murdered, very sad. Where did you hear about it?

I just googled the Shannon twins, and omg! I had no idea they were porn stars now. Yes, they were super cute fresh-faced young girls during the GND era. 

Crystal was cute but didn't pull me in the way the OG girls did. 

I have read all of the books. Holly's book was my favorite. It's more fresh in my mind than the others. I also bought her book about dating and the GND book too. It's a very cute, fun book. I wanted her Vegas book but they stopped selling it when I tried ordering it awhile back.

I'm glad to hear Keith was different from Hef. He also passed away sadly. Definitely totally the end of an era with no more Hef, no GND, no Keith, no Mary. I wonder how many of Hef's old buddies who would come over for movie night are still alive and if they still get together. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Definitely have a lot to dish!

I had no idea Jill Ann was murdered, very sad. Where did you hear about it?

I just googled the Shannon twins, and omg! I had no idea they were porn stars now. Yes, they were super cute fresh-faced young girls during the GND era. 

Crystal was cute but didn't pull me in the way the OG girls did. 

I have read all of the books. Holly's book was my favorite. It's more fresh in my mind than the others. I also bought her book about dating and the GND book too. It's a very, cute fun book. I wanted her Vegas book but they stopped selling it when I tried ordering it awhile back.

I'm glad to hear Keith was different from Hef. He also passed away sadly. Definitely totally the end of an era with no more Hef, no GND, no Keith, no Mary. I wonder how many of Hef's old buddies who would come over for movie night are still alive and if they still get together. 

On a GND forum. It was a murder suicide 😞 

Isn't it awful? Between the bad plastic surgery and porn, it's sad where they've ended up. Crystal is very pretty but so blank, there's nothing there, no personality. 

Which Vegas book? The Showgirl Next Door? I had to buy it second hand. I didn't understand why there was such a small printing, very little press about it because it's a cute book full of info and great pictures. 

I think about that too. Ray Anthony is the only member of the Manly Club I can think of who is still alive. I think. 

• Love 2

I’m so addicted to this forum and happy there are fellow fans, but curious, is that forum still active? I’m a huge GND fan, in case you couldn’t tell. 🙂

Do you know who murdered Jill Ann? It’s all so sad. I have mixed thoughts about Playboy. I understand why some people see it as porn in a way, but a huge difference between posing nude and having sex with strangers on camera for cash. Such a dark industry. I’ve also read that some of the Playmates/girlfriends worked as escorts. 

I think that’s why GND was a hit initially. All those women had personality! 

Yes, Showgirl Next Door is the one I don’t have.

That’s interesting. Thanks for all the info! He was married to Mamie Van Doren at one point. He must have so many stories!

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I’m so addicted to this forum and happy there are fellow fans, but curious, is that forum still active? I’m a huge GND fan, in case you couldn’t tell. 🙂

Do you know who murdered Jill Ann? It’s all so sad. I have mixed thoughts about Playboy. I understand why some people see it as porn in a way, but a huge difference between posing nude and having sex with strangers on camera for cash. Such a dark industry. I’ve also read that some of the Playmates/girlfriends worked as escorts. 

I think that’s why GND was a hit initially. All those women had personality! 

Yes, Showgirl Next Door is the one I don’t have.

That’s interesting. Thanks for all the info! He was married to Mamie Van Doren at one point. He must have so many stories!

It's not as active as it was but there are regular posters and a bunch of info. I'll send you the link. I'm happy there's a GND presence here! I'd like to see more threads for older reality shows. I miss that era of tv! And I still miss the GND

Jill Ann was murdered by her ex Bruce. The Bruce she wrote so glowingly about in her book. I knew he was older but until they passed away I didn't realize he was twenty years older. They got together when she was very young. He murdered Jill Ann and her boyfriend then himself. Sad. 

I think they should do another printing of the Showgirl Next Door with updated info. 

Ray Anthony must be a wealth of great stories! From Glen Miller to Marilyn! 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Holly's were great reads! Kendra's were a waste of my brain cells. 

Kendra  not only came off as an idiot, but delusional as well. I think it was her first book I read and she mentioned having to teach Hank good eating habits. 

Seriously Kendra? The guy who is a professional athlete who had (at the time) access to seven figure earning nutritionists and trainers and had pretty significant motivation to remain in shape, needed help from YOU? Sure. Guarantee the only research she did on healthy eating came from the US Weekly spreads that they print a couple times a year on celebrity diets.

She also went over her time saving methods which included brushing her teeth and drinking her morning smoothie in the shower. That sounds ridiculous. She’d have been better off just taking a quick shower rather than dragging all parts of her morning routine into the shower with her. 

• Love 5

Holly’s autobiography definitely needs to be updated; I didn’t realize until I just checked her Instagram that she and her baby daddy broke up “amicably” last year. She spoke so lovingly of him in her book and how he ‘saved’ her after dating so many random dudes as soon as she split from Hugh. It didn’t sound like she and magician Angel dude had a very good breakup.

9 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Jill Ann was murdered by her ex Bruce. The Bruce she wrote so glowingly about in her book. I knew he was older but until they passed away I didn't realize he was twenty years older. They got together when she was very young. He murdered Jill Ann and her boyfriend then himself. Sad. 

That’s tragic. She so desperately wanted in on the girlfriend action without actually behaving like a true girlfriend, so I didn’t really feel too bad for her...what’d she expect? Kinda delusional but I figured she was just kinda stupid too. I did secretly love that she exposed how Holly was always the cleanup gal after sex night. She also mentioned how catty the earlier girlfriends were and how sweet Bridget was. But how heartbreaking to hear that she was yet another Hollywood casualty.

Most Playmates admittedly do end up either as escorts or pornstars, sadly. Or worse. Most of those women only have their looks to trade on as commodity, and being in a temptation-laden city like LA doesn’t help things.

• Love 4

I'm not a Kendra fan by any means, but I did disagree with Holly's anecdotes about Kendra being "entitled" because she expected (demanded) a large bedroom, a nose job, and a nice car the minute she moved in.

I think 19 year old Kendra actually read the situation better than Holly did. She was basically engaging in legal prostitution and was naming her price at the get-go. Holly always acted like Hef 'took her in' as though he was providing some kind of charity. Holly earned every cent that guy doled out for her. I wouldn't thank my boss for signing my paycheck each week but in a way Holly kind of did.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Holly’s autobiography definitely needs to be updated; I didn’t realize until I just checked her Instagram that she and her baby daddy broke up “amicably” last year. She spoke so lovingly of him in her book and how he ‘saved’ her after dating so many random dudes as soon as she split from Hugh. It didn’t sound like she and magician Angel dude had a very good breakup.

That’s tragic. She so desperately wanted in on the girlfriend action without actually behaving like a true girlfriend, so I didn’t really feel too bad for her...what’d she expect? Kinda delusional but I figured she was just kinda stupid too. I did secretly love that she exposed how Holly was always the cleanup gal after sex night. She also mentioned how catty the earlier girlfriends were and how sweet Bridget was. But how heartbreaking to hear that she was yet another Hollywood casualty.

Most Playmates admittedly do end up either as escorts or pornstars, sadly. Or worse. Most of those women only have their looks to trade on as commodity, and being in a temptation-laden city like LA doesn’t help things.

Criss Angel definitely came off as crazy! In The Vegas Diaries I still felt she should've had more me moments and in retrospect as great as Pasquale was - she was still looking for validation in a man. I looooved their Vegas house though. That closet! 

Jill Ann was just seriously desperate for validation of some sort. 

Its sad seeing how many from that era didn't end up well. I used to think my life was so boring in comparison but knowing what I know now, I'd rather have the security I do than those moments of fun. 

• Love 4

Hef seemed to do the emotional relationship equivalent of "dumping" in economics- where a large provider cuts their own prices to impractical lows, drives everyone else out of the market, and then once the competition has been decimated, jacks their prices up astronomically.

If any of the girls started to get a remotely attractive offer from someone else (either professionally or romantically), Hef would immediately dangle some kind of carrot in her face, get her to burn her bridges with that venue, and then immediately revert back to shitty behavior, punishing her for feeling "uppity".

It's predatory behavior, but a little annoying that these women were so easily fooled. Holly and Bridget act like those that wanted to be girlfriends to see what they could get out of Hef were such awful, immoral people, but I see them more as willing to call a spade a spade. Hef wasn't interested in being in a mutually respectful, functional romantic relationship, nor was he interested in helping the women get a leg up (no pun intended) in Hollywood. He was interested in being fawned over by subservient, non confrontational women who conformed to his exact interests and specifications.

And unfortunately, even those women who knew what was what were at a disadvantage- there have always been a lot more very attractive women relying on their looks alone than there are millionaires willing to pay for their company. The laws of supply and demand have never been on their side, even for the most strategic, pragmatic person.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Tatum said:

Hef seemed to do the emotional relationship equivalent of "dumping" in economics- where a large provider cuts their own prices to impractical lows, drives everyone else out of the market, and then once the competition has been decimated, jacks their prices up astronomically.

If any of the girls started to get a remotely attractive offer from someone else (either professionally or romantically), Hef would immediately dangle some kind of carrot in her face, get her to burn her bridges with that venue, and then immediately revert back to shitty behavior, punishing her for feeling "uppity".

It's predatory behavior, but a little annoying that these women were so easily fooled. Holly and Bridget act like those that wanted to be girlfriends to see what they could get out of Hef were such awful, immoral people, but I see them more as willing to call a spade a spade. Hef wasn't interested in being in a mutually respectful, functional romantic relationship, nor was he interested in helping the women get a leg up (no pun intended) in Hollywood. He was interested in being fawned over by subservient, non confrontational women who conformed to his exact interests and specifications.

And unfortunately, even those women who knew what was what were at a disadvantage- there have always been a lot more very attractive women relying on their looks alone than there are millionaires willing to pay for their company. The laws of supply and demand have never been on their side, even for the most strategic, pragmatic person.

I’m a fan of both Holly and Bridget, but I have to agree with this. None of these women were there because of their genuine attraction to Hef. Hef used the women, and the women were all there for their own reasons. I do believe that some of them were nicer than others. 

I too know way more attractive women than millionaires like Hef. 

• Love 6

While I think Kendra was more upfront about recognizing the situation for what it was, I think Holly called her out on that entitlement simply because Kendra got things effortlessly that she and possibly Bridget had to grovel for. Poor Holly started out with a second hand car left behind by an old girlfriend, a crappy room until she moved in to Hef's bedroom. Kendra moved in and got the big bedroom, the Escalade, the dentistry she needed without begging or "paying her dues".

And I'm sure the Mercedes then Porsche, her tuition and having her skin lasered was great for Bridget, I think she seemed more happy just to be there and participate in all the festivities than the rest of the girls. 

• Love 6

Ah, dentistry, not a nose job.

I don't know, I think it's like getting a job offer and negotiating vs not not negotiating- while Holly may have been fine to play a girlfriend for merely having a roof over her head, I don't think it's necessarily entitled to say to Hef, fine, I'll suck and fuck, but I want a new car, a big bedroom, and for you fix my teeth. Deal? Regardless of what other people got. I mean, you're selling your body, you have a right to set your own price.

I do think it's weird that Hef gave Kendra so much right away, as she came in when Playboy sales were declining, the club scene was getting sick of Hef, and Hef was hyper aware of the girls looking to score what they could and then leave. I don't think that he necessarily preferred her to Holly or Bridget or was more attracted to her. I don't even think he was using Kendra to play mind games with Holly, as one of the other girls suggested in her book. It seemed to me like Hef wanted a "type" for each of his girlfriends, and picked Kendra to be the immature bratty one, so when she demanded shit and acted like an asshole, he thought it was fitting to her character. Like it amused him (I don't, however, think Kendra was playing a role, that's just how she was). It was creepy in a way, like Kendra acting like a spoiled preteen was somehow endearing, or sexy. Holly said Hef drooled over a picture of Kendra when she wasn't even 18 yet which was low, even for him. Gross.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

He told Holly she looked  “old, hard, and cheap” at one point.

That is SO rich coming from him- Hef's standard of beauty is so low rent. That one girlfriend he had, Tiffany something (ONTD said they are pretty sure Tiffany= Vicky in Holly's book) looked like a 40 something female impersonator, and not a very high level one at that.

I mean, really, "hard" and "cheap" looking were pretty much prerequisites for being a girlfriend. I am sure when Holly cut her hair she looked very cute.

• Love 6
(edited)

^ I think she had that hair during MTV cribs, and she looked super cute.

I think if I were in the mansion I would have been friends with Holly and Bridget because I do think they were some of the nicer girlfriends I've read about. I don't think Kendra is the nastiness that apparently some of the other girls were, but I can see why she rubbed them the wrong way. She definitely got things more easily. 

I totally think Hef was amused by Kendra's personality. I remember her rapping "slob on my knob, like corn on the cob." Hef was like "that's so romantic!" When they all visited Kendra's home, he got such a kick out of watching childhood footage of Kendra. I do think there were some mind games there. He was mean to Holly when she put on red lipstick, but when Kendra put it on, he loved it. 

Also, I've head before that Hef really didn't like red lipstick. What is it about red lipstick that's so whorish to him, of all things? lol So having several girlfriends at once, who could be your granddaughter, making a living publishing nude photos of women, giving the girls quaaludes, all that is perfectly classy but God forbid anyone other than Kendra wears lipstick? And he was a big Marilyn Monroe fan? 

I thought Bridget was naturally pretty and had such a gorgeous figure, but I'm almost surprised I haven't heard about her being picked apart because she was the oldest, all natural, and curvier than the other girls. Hef seems to prefer teens and 20-somethings who are sticks with silicone breasts and often plastic surgery on the face as well. A lot of them had their noses done. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I thought Bridget was naturally pretty and had such a gorgeous figure, but I'm almost surprised I haven't heard about her being picked apart because she was the oldest, all natural, and curvier than the other girls. Hef seems to prefer teens and 20-somethings who are sticks with silicone breasts and often plastic surgery on the face as well. A lot of them had their noses done. 

I thought that was weird too...she was certainly pretty, but she didn't really fit the girlfriend mold. Best I can figure is that her rampant insecurity and obsession of being seen as sexy was attractive to Hef. It also may have been for publicity- to have at least one educated, older, fuller figured girl on the roster, especially one so sunny and friendly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I am about 3/4 of the way through the book now...I know Holly, like everyone else, sees things through her own eyes and assumptions, and maybe someone else would remember things going down differently, but Kendra sounded like a little bitch based on the examples Holly gave of how Kendra treated her (Holly).

If Holly's account can be believed, I thought it was very nice that Holly made an effort to befriend Kendra, or at least be friendly, as Holly wished the other girls would have done for her, and Kendra basically shit all over her efforts. Even at 19, her manners were atrocious. And she did that thing that is absolutely my pet peeve- cry when you're called on your bullshit so the other person feels mean.

Probably the most shocking thing about the book is that Paris Hilton was one of the few early 2000s celebrities that was kind to the girlfriends. I also loved Holly's snark about how Paris couldn't do a topless spread for Playboy because she'd be disinherited...mere months before her sex tape would be "leaked".

• Love 4
(edited)
21 hours ago, Tatum said:

I am about 3/4 of the way through the book now...I know Holly, like everyone else, sees things through her own eyes and assumptions, and maybe someone else would remember things going down differently, but Kendra sounded like a little bitch based on the examples Holly gave of how Kendra treated her (Holly).

If Holly's account can be believed, I thought it was very nice that Holly made an effort to befriend Kendra, or at least be friendly, as Holly wished the other girls would have done for her, and Kendra basically shit all over her efforts. Even at 19, her manners were atrocious. And she did that thing that is absolutely my pet peeve- cry when you're called on your bullshit so the other person feels mean.

Probably the most shocking thing about the book is that Paris Hilton was one of the few early 2000s celebrities that was kind to the girlfriends. I also loved Holly's snark about how Paris couldn't do a topless spread for Playboy because she'd be disinherited...mere months before her sex tape would be "leaked".

Kendra was the youngest, but I think Holly and Bridget were the type of girls who had manners at 19. It was probably especially hard for Holly to cut her slack due to her youth when she was the same age as Kendra not too long ago. 

LOL I don't remember that tidbit about Paris. Holly also said Ivanka Trump was incredibly kind. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 6

What I still think about is all the unused footage that will probably never see the light of day. For example, they did much more on their Europe trip than shown. They visited the Catacombs and many other places. 

I have no doubt Kendra was and is horrendous. As I said upthread, I could side eye her behavior and grossness like her room looking like a tornado hit it because she was a teenager. But over 15 years later she has the same and attention seeking mentality and immaturity. 

It was sad when Holly had the makeover and Hef tore her down like that. I can't believe she cut such luscious waist length hair! 

The Paris Hilton bit was amusing. Ivanka Trump is very kind, well mannered if you ever meet her. 

I do have to agree with the manners thing, Kendra had no manners or social skills. In many ways she still doesn't. Bridget went out of her way doing things for her and Kendra's response is a rude we werent friends. Um all you had to say is we weren't close but she was really kind to me. 

I think Kendra got things easily for two reasons. Hef's mind games and the fact she was there with only two others. Holly and Bridget had to deal with the mean girls of the Party Posse days when there was a rotation of seven to ten girls. 

No way to confirm it unless Bridget ever says anything but before the E! Forums were shut down due to the craziness, a former GF claimed Hef liked that Bridget's body was natural and said she had the original natural playboy body but he did put her down and send her to get her eyes done. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

What I still think about is all the unused footage that will probably never see the light of day. For example, they did much more on their Europe trip than shown. They visited the Catacombs and many other places. 

I have no doubt Kendra was and is horrendous. As I said upthread, I could side eye her behavior and grossness like her room looking like a tornado hit it because she was a teenager. But over 15 years later she has the same and attention seeking mentality and immaturity. 

It was sad when Holly had the makeover and Hef tore her down like that. I can't believe she cut such luscious waist length hair! 

The Paris Hilton bit was amusing. Ivanka Trump is very kind, well mannered if you ever meet her. 

I do have to agree with the manners thing, Kendra had no manners or social skills. In many ways she still doesn't. Bridget went out of her way doing things for her and Kendra's response is a rude we werent friends. Um all you had to say is we weren't close but she was really kind to me. 

I think Kendra got things easily for two reasons. Hef's mind games and the fact she was there with only two others. Holly and Bridget had to deal with the mean girls of the Party Posse days when there was a rotation of seven to ten girls. 

No way to confirm it unless Bridget ever says anything but before the E! Forums were shut down due to the craziness, a former GF claimed Hef liked that Bridget's body was natural and said she had the original natural playboy body but he did put her down and send her to get her eyes done. 

I wish we could see that footage! 

Those of you who have the DVD’s, did you notice Kendra was annoyed having to do the commentary? I don’t know if she just didn’t know any better due to her age, and I understand stuff like that can get tedious. But I thought it came across as if she wasn’t appreciative fans cared what she had to say.  If I were her, I would have at least pretended to be perfectly happy to comment in order to not hurt fans’ feelings. You’re all into it, and then Kendra whines “HOW MANY MORE?” 

Ivanka must have gotten her manners from her mother...

That’s interesting about Bridget. I’m glad he recognized that she was built like some of the older Playmates (slim but still curvy and all natural) and didn’t force her to diet away her curves and get a boob job. He did have some nerve if it’s true he encouraged her to get her eyes done. Even as the oldest gf, she was a baby in comparison to Hef. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I wish we could see that footage! 

Those of you who have the DVD’s, did you notice Kendra was annoyed having to do the commentary? I don’t know if she just didn’t know any better due to her age, and I understand stuff like that can get tedious. But I thought it came across as if she wasn’t appreciative fans cared what she had to say.  If I were her, I would have at least pretended to be perfectly happy to comment in order to not hurt fans’ feelings. You’re all into it, and then Kendra whines “HOW MANY MORE?” 

Ivanka must have gotten her manners from her mother...

That’s interesting about Bridget. I’m glad he recognized that she was built like some of the older Playmates (slim but still curvy and all natural) and didn’t force her to diet away her curves and get a boob job. He did have some nerve if it’s true he encouraged her to get her eyes done. Even as the oldest gf, she was a baby in comparison to Hef. 

Me too! And considering the price of the whole series box set they could've made something really special! 

IIRC, Kendra was hard to get to "work". She'd sleep late for a lot of filming, didn't like participating in much. Which I found crazy considering her alleged gratitude toward Hef for taking her away from stripping, drugs and poverty. At one of their calendar signings she was complaining to fans how tired she was of signing. Really? They've been waiting an hour in line for you and you act like that? Hef was in his 80's and sitting there, signing without complaint. She lacked the manners, work ethic and maturity to not only properly handle the position she was given but to make the most of it as well. I often wonder how different her life would've been if she gave it all up after E! Dropped her show to live a private life. You know? If she had taken what she banked, her investment properties, just lived a regular life being a Mom instead of chasing fame and various product promotions that didn't go anywhere. Like her stripper pole line. 

• Love 6

I don't remember Kendra seeming particularly annoyed, but I usually didn't have the commentary turned on. All I remember is her complaining that the editing loved to show scenes of her bragging about how much she loved sports and how much of a jock she was- then cut to a scene of her completely blowing whatever sports related activity she was trying to do (usually shooting baskets), or tripping over her own feet.

I went back and looked at some old GND posts, and I didn't remember this part from her book, but this just struck me as hilarious for someone reason: Kendra said Holly was cold to her in the beginning but Bridget was really friendly- until they found out what bedroom Kendra was getting. They were pissed because Holly and Bridget had already earmarked that room for their "scrapbook room".

• Love 3
6 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Me too! And considering the price of the whole series box set they could've made something really special! 

IIRC, Kendra was hard to get to "work". She'd sleep late for a lot of filming, didn't like participating in much. Which I found crazy considering her alleged gratitude toward Hef for taking her away from stripping, drugs and poverty. At one of their calendar signings she was complaining to fans how tired she was of signing. Really? They've been waiting an hour in line for you and you act like that? Hef was in his 80's and sitting there, signing without complaint. She lacked the manners, work ethic and maturity to not only properly handle the position she was given but to make the most of it as well. I often wonder how different her life would've been if she gave it all up after E! Dropped her show to live a private life. You know? If she had taken what she banked, her investment properties, just lived a regular life being a Mom instead of chasing fame and various product promotions that didn't go anywhere. Like her stripper pole line. 

Things like signing autographs and doing commentary for DVD’s aren’t even difficult. I don’t think Kendra is a malicious woman. My heart goes out to her dealing with all she did with her family. She also really adores her kids. She doesn’t seem to have a jealous bone in her body. She’s very funny. She’s got a lot of great qualities, but unfortunately a good work ethic was definitely not instilled in her.

Bridget seemed the most hardworking of the three. I love that she’s educated. Holly’s no slouch either. She said once she thought she should get a degree just because people think she’s dumb, and I think that’s kind of sad. She seems like a bright woman to me. I feel like if either of them had to head early to an office every day and get some real work done, they’d both be hard workers. I think Kendra herself said she was lazy on that boot camp show. None of us are perfect I suppose.

• Love 4