Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Ablaze

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

52 minutes ago, Tanstaafl said:

I want to say "Wilderness Survival for Dummies!", but this group is generally doing okay. Of course some could use "Knife Skills for Dummies", "How to Put Out a Fire", or maybe "The Art of Zen".

Maybe they should allow 1 non-survival item in future shows, like Les Stroud's harmonica (which can double as an anti-bear device).

What would you bring if you could bring 1 non-survival item? I would think a deck of card but I'm interested to hear what others would bring.

Remember a few years ago when Fowler carved the super cool wizard staff, one of the neatest things I've seen to help pass the time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 7/21/2019 at 10:16 AM, TVbitch said:

That was a big clue. If you are a person who leaves the TV on all day or even to fall asleep, cuz you find the voices/distraction comforting --do not do this show!

I'm an introvert (as I said before), but I also leave the TV on all day (I turn it off when I go to bed though).  Picked that habit up off of my parents, they left the TV on all the time.  Maybe they just left it on to babysit, or maybe they wanted to hear any emergency warnings or breaking news that the networks used to do.

48 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I think the whole point of Alone is to see how people deal with being alone -without- 'crutches' like books and games. They would never be allowed to have something like that 'to help pass the time'. 

Something I read on Ann Landers years ago has always stuck with me.  She said that "Boredom is the sign of a shallow mind".  In other words, there are are always things to do or things to contemplate.  If you can't think of any, you're not a good thinker.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

No, the year Fowler won, Carleigh was medically tapped because her BMI had dropped to a dangerous level. Or that's the excuse they gave her anyway. 

The same year (Season 3) Megan was third, so a 2nd and a 3rd place so far Wikipedia have a decent write-up on the show (Alone - TV Series), which gives each year's contestants, how long they lasted, why they tapped, etc.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Tanstaafl said:

Maybe they should allow 1 non-survival item in future shows, like Les Stroud's harmonica (which can double as an anti-bear device).

A couple of people have made (semi)musical instruments on the show in the past.  And of course Barbara's husband (Mike?) could have made a whole orchestra.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 7/19/2019 at 4:42 PM, Tanstaafl said:

Foxes are naturally curious so it wouldn't be too hard to entice one close to your camp and put an arrow into it. I'm not sure how they are preventing the fox from being snared, possibly the size of the opening, or just that the fox is intelligent enough to avoid a snare on a trail.

If it were me, I'd try to make friends with that Fox, and then I would have a little buddy around camp. 

Probably not the right thing to do with a wild animal, but there you have it 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/22/2019 at 4:01 PM, dgpolo said:

I think the whole point of Alone is to see how people deal with being alone -without- 'crutches' like books and games. 

No books? No thanks!

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

If it were me, I'd try to make friends with that Fox, and then I would have a little buddy around camp. 

Probably not the right thing to do with a wild animal, but there you have it 

They aren’t legally allowed to hunt or kill foxes there.