Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Ablaze

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

The participant's survival is threatened by new factors; one contestant must fend off a huge predator; another risks losing shelter in a horrible accident; another struggles with being totally alone.

Airs Thursday, 7/18/19.

(edited)

Well, after a dynamite episode last week, this episode just rather pissed me off.  

First off, Michelle?  You just lost me with your dead rabbit puppet show.  You can now go room with Nikki and burn down your shelter together.  Team NOT Nikki and NOT Michelle.  

I loved Woniya's cabin footage.  That was very interesting! 

Nathan got a fish. But......snooze. 😴

Barry.  Too much Barry!!!  He got a rabbit, but all that footage about the bear, and setting up a way to kill the bear and blah/blah/blah just seems dangerous to me.  Plus, he's just not funny.  I was interested in his 'bear banger' thing.  Is this something they get?  Or what?   

Brady = biggest disappointment in the world.  Here he is, has a food reserve, teaches SERE or whatever and taps because he's bored??  Why didn't he build some cool stuff to help take up his time and make life easier?  It's like when Mike(?) tapped.  Boo.  

Oh well.  Sounds like we'll get some wolverine news next week! 

Edited by MostlyContent
SARS does not = SERE
  • Love 11

Well, now I don't have to worry about mixing up Barry and Brady.

There are now 3 men and all 3 women remaining. 

I wonder if this is going to end up being the shortest season ever.  Almost everyone seems to be living on the edge. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Michelle’s bunny puppet disgusted me. Show some respect, beyotch. I wish she would get parasites from the rabbit meat.

Woniya’s shelter is awesome.

I can’t stand quitters.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 11

Does Michelle have a screw or two loose?  Maybe I missed something obvious but.....................Who or what was she talking to at the beginning when she was chanting something like "Who's a good girl"?  I sort of hope a predator sniffs out her rabbit puppet.

I wonder if Brady would have toughed it out if he'd had an end date.  He wasn't handling the alone part well and he seemed to see his loneliness stretching into an indefinite future and couldn't handle it.

I was surprised that Nikki had as much left of her shelter as she did.  The video made it look a lot worse than it actually was.  She is such a s*** that I think she'd find some way to have a disaster in a Motel 6.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

A lot of the women on this show are kooky, but Michelle goes way over the line into creepy territory.  My stomach was already turning from her, but that rabbit puppet really disgusted me.

Brady is another one of those guys that has everything down perfectly but is such an extrovert that he can't take being alone for any length of time.  Proof that a critical skill of surviving alone in the wilderness is being able to tolerate isolation.  It cancels out all the other survival skills a person has.  What a complete waste.  I too hate quitters, but I just don't understand putting in all that investment of time and effort and wasting it for no good reason.  It feels like something an emotionally weak, pampered, self indulgent person would do.  I'm sure their families would understand if they were gone a few more weeks.  If they can't handle it, what kind of emotional wussie are they? 

When I was a kid my Dad went to Army reserve summer camp for 2 months every year.  As a kid that felt like an eternity, but in the big picture it didn't hurt me or change one thing for the worse in my life.  In fact, I more remember my Dad for his bravery and commitment to his country and THAT by far cancels out missing him for a couple of months every year.  But these wah-wah contestants are such babies they can't even see that big picture.  If my Dad had quit the army because he missed his family I would think it was sweet but misplaced.  And that would be far more negative in the big picture than him sticking it out.  Strength of character.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

It feels like something an emotionally weak, pampered, self indulgent person would do. 

I heard him say “I don’t need the money.” Then why the fuck did you take a spot that someone more deserving could have had!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, MostlyContent said:

Barry.  Too much Barry!!!  He got a rabbit, but all that footage about the bear, and setting up a way to kill the bear and blah/blah/blah just seems dangerous to me.  Plus, he's just not funny.  I was interested in his 'bear banger' thing.  Is this something they get?  Or what?   

Too much Barry!  He also looks like Stephen Root which is starting to freak me out.

No one should be trying to kill a bear.  He should be trying to drive the bear away.

Why can't they hunt foxes?

• Love 2
(edited)

Michelle it seems like some people didn't like your puppet show. The wife and I thought it was super funny.  It's to bad that her barrel fishing contraption didn't work but if it were me I would make a kick ass fire place for her shelter .

Brutally disappointed with Brady. He seemed like he could do ok out there. I dont understand why people who can't be by themselves go on the show. Do they forget the name of the show is ALONE.

Woniya amazing job on the shelter. It's the best one I've seen so far. I think she will make it to the end but will lose out to jordon with his massive stock pile of meat.

Nikki is struggling out there but I give her credit for toughing it out. A lot of the contestants would have tapped but now.

Edited by Johnnydanger
Spelling mistake
  • Love 7
(edited)

Hope you didn't blink or you would have missed the wolves...

The caption said that the participants are not allowed to trap or hunt fox.

Brady...you took up a spot from someone who should have been there instead of your quitter self....you will see the sad disappointment in your wife's and kids' eyes....

The spirit of the bunny will be back.....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4

Not fond of this season.  Bad enough they have to kill stuff to survive, but to wound an animal as massive as a moose and then stand around for hours waiting for it to die as it drowns in it's own blood is unconscionable.  What?  No more arrows to end it's misery?  You miserable fucker. 

Then.  The rabbit puppet.  W.T.F.  Just. Plain. Disgusting.  Show some respect for the life you took, you stupid moron.  I hope she gets tape worms and fleas. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, mlp said:

Who or what was she talking to at the beginning when she was chanting something like "Who's a good girl"? 

She was talking about how much hates it when people talk to their dogs like that. 

Ummm, I hate it when people don’t respect the animal that they kill for food and then make said animal into a stupid, not to mention gross, puppet just to entertain themselves.

Btw, I have a 14yo Golden Retriever mix who has some serious health issues and I tell her she’s a good girl every single day. She’s an incredibly good dog, the best dog I ever had.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Claire Voyant said:

Not fond of this season.  Bad enough they have to kill stuff to survive, but to wound an animal as massive as a moose and then stand around for hours waiting for it to die as it drowns in it's own blood is unconscionable.  What?  No more arrows to end it's misery?  You miserable fucker. 

Then.  The rabbit puppet.  W.T.F.  Just. Plain. Disgusting.  Show some respect for the life you took, you stupid moron.  I hope she gets tape worms and fleas. 

He did the right thing by leaving the moose alone to die. If he had tried to move in for a second shot it could have run for miles and possibly right out of his territory. Then it would have been a total waste. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Johnnydanger said:

He did the right thing by leaving the moose alone to die. If he had tried to move in for a second shot it could have run for miles and possibly right out of his territory. Then it would have been a total waste. 

I watch the game wardens in Maine on a TV show.  They also are wary (even with guns) that an injured or sick animal can charge right at them.  So it probably was best for the archer to wait, out of the line of sight of the moose.  But it was sad to watch.

• Love 12

Nikki, Nikki, Nikki. I'm just glad that your parents made sure that you never had matches as a kid, otherwise I'm sure that your whole family would have been homeless. You still need more insulation on your shelter.

Agree with @Johnnydanger regarding Michelle's fishing barrel contraption. Please cut it in half and use it for a fire pit - and give the other half to Nikki for the same purpose. Agree with those who thought that the puppet was in poor taste. I'm assuming that some of the contestants are trying too hard to be interesting (as Alan was in season 1).

Brady, you had a decent shelter (needed more insulation), and you had 6 filets left over. You are going to be out there another 50 days at most. I would be thinking that each day is worth $10,000 to my family. And for that $10K I'm probably move 20 feet down the shore if fish are not biting right in front of me. /s

Had to laugh at Barry's "bear" in the middle of the night turning into a fox in the light of day. Not to say that the contestants don't have courage to be out in the middle of nowhere with black bears but they are more docile than grizzly bears, and then there are polar bears that will stalk people out on the land.

Nathan, another fish in the net, a good equipment choice in my opinion but I'd try to move it around a bit to see if you can't get 2-3 fish a day out of it. You're going to need the calories.

Woniya, best shelter that I've see this year. Hopefully you can get a supply of food.

Okay roughly half way in, 4/10 gone home, and the weather is getting colder. I assume that they are near the end of September so I'm going to look up last year's weather for Lutsel K'e and see what they have to look forward to in the next month.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Why can't they hunt foxes?

I don't think that there is a regulation against it so I'm assuming that the restriction comes from the Lutsel K'e First Nation (who control the land they are using). It could be because of trapping going on in the area.

Foxes are naturally curious so it wouldn't be too hard to entice one close to your camp and put an arrow into it. I'm not sure how they are preventing the fox from being snared, possibly the size of the opening, or just that the fox is intelligent enough to avoid a snare on a trail.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, lidarose9 said:

Wouldn't black bears be hibernating by this time of year?

From my best guess at 31 days in they are just near the end of September or early October so I think that it's early for these bears to hibernate or spend a lot of time in their dens. It's not even that cold for the area yet.

Looking through the weather information I don't think that we will see any real cold weather (-30C or below). There are some cold days (-20C) in November but that would be 60+ days in if they started on September 1st.

I think that Season 3 hold the record at 87 days.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, Johnnydanger said:

It seemed like he was waiting around pretty close to it, but maybe not close enough to end it's pain. 

I'm sure you're right, but I'm a tree-hugging, cry-baby, bleeding heart, sensitive thing when it comes to nature and life and giving due respect for it all, if you kwim?  Taking life of any kind is a serious issue for me. 

I'm a realist.  I know things have to die in order to survive, but I want it done and over with as quickly and efficiently as  possibIe. 

I don't like hearing hunting stories about gut-shot animals running for miles or getting their legs blown off.  Or, like that poor, magnificent moose...suffering for hours before finally succumbing to it's wound.   I'll never understand the thrill of a kill, yet both my parents hunted, so there ya go.   🤷‍♀️

I AM relieved he was able to harvest so much of it and that it didn't get lost.  Although, in the arctic I'm sure it would never be wasted even if a hunter didn't get a chance to harvest it.  Scavengers would be happy.  It was just so heart-breakingly sad and brutally ugly. 😭  

• Love 1

Just thinking that the tap out's could get interesting if they get into the 60+ day time frame which is the usual endgame. The bays are starting to freeze over now and in the East Arm you don't have the large expanse of open water that you do on the main part of the Great Slave Lake keeping it open.

Boat travel could come to a screeching halt in November, which I think would be about 60 days in, with the ice still being too thin to land a ski plane, and not a lot of snow for snowmobile travel.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, Drogo said:

"Brady found this Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker washed ashore."

I am suspicious about a frying pan washing ashore...it’s heavy, wouldn’t float. It’s not like a barrel that has a lid to keep it floating.

Unless it came wrapped in plastic with a bow on top.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Drogo said:

"Brady found this Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker washed ashore."

Which will be put to good use, thanks to the generator (with a full tank of fuel) which washed up yesterday!!!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, cooksdelight said:
21 hours ago, MostlyContent said:

I loved Woniya's cabin footage.  That was very interesting! 

She seems the most “together” person left. I hope she wins. 

Here's me laying on my couch in my AC house because it is too figgen hot to go outside, and Woniya makes me feel like the laziest person in the world

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
(edited)
15 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I heard him say “I don’t need the money.” Then why the fuck did you take a spot that someone more deserving could have had!!!

I know!  When contestants like him complain about how isolated and lonely they feel I wonder why they don't use the time to engage in some spiritual growth exercises, like prayer or meditation.  Are they that needy and empty inside that they need constant outside stimulation?  I would use the time away from all of my human distractions to focus on getting closer to God and understanding myself.  But I guess that's not a concept a lot of modern people relate to anymore. 

8 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I am suspicious about a frying pan washing ashore...it’s heavy, wouldn’t float. It’s not like a barrel that has a lid to keep it floating.

Unless it came wrapped in plastic with a bow on top.

And delivered by drone, no doubt, LOL.

Edited by Yeah No
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
20 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:
22 hours ago, Johnnydanger said:

He did the right thing by leaving the moose alone to die. If he had tried to move in for a second shot it could have run for miles and possibly right out of his territory. 

It seemed like he was waiting around pretty close to it, but maybe not close enough to end it's pain.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy said several times he did NOT have a second arrow with him. 

Puppet show was a horror show!

As for Brady, I think some people just do not have a very complex inner life and/or don't have a very dynamic personality where they can entertain themselves or have an interesting or amusing dialogue going with themself. My dad is like that. When he is alone, he is pretty much just a void, so he cannot stand to be without distractions, tasks, hobbies, and wives. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, TVbitch said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy said several times he did NOT have a second arrow with him. 

I think you're right!  He had shot one arrow and didn't go looking for it, so he only had one left, which he used to shoot the moose.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Puppet show was a horror show!

As for Brady, I think some people just do not have a very complex inner life and/or don't have a very dynamic personality where they can entertain themselves or have an interesting or amusing dialogue going with themself. My dad is like that. When he is alone, he is pretty much just a void, so he cannot stand to be without distractions, tasks, hobbies, and wives. 

I would correct you if you were wrong, but you are probably right, so I won't even try.  😉  I've been known to miss a few things since I have a tendency to watch television while doing other things. 

If he didn't have what it took to end it's misery, then I'm sorry I got so angry at him and called him a name.  Still...poor planning on his part caused incredible agony for that animal.  Kinda sad all the way around.  

• Love 2
On 7/19/2019 at 5:40 PM, Claire Voyant said:

Jordan said he wished he could end its pain, but he had no second arrow and feared if he got close enough with his knife the moose would flee his territory. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, dgpolo said:

Didn't the moose kill happen last week?

Yes. 

2 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Isn't this the wrong thread for that discussion?

It's being discussed in combination with the bunny puppet we saw this week.

• Love 1
On 7/19/2019 at 3:24 PM, Tanstaafl said:

...You are going to be out there another 50 days at most. I would be thinking that each day is worth $10,000 to my family. And for that $10K I'm probably move 20 feet down the shore if fish are not biting right in front of me. /s

Great way to look at it. 

It was over for him when he focused on his daughter's birthday, as if he did not know he would be missing family events when he was on Alone.  

• Love 5
9 hours ago, TVbitch said:

When I studied personality theory it was theorized that extroverts have less going on inside of them and thus have to constantly seek outside input in the form of human interaction, while introverts already have a lot going on inside of them and don't need to do that as much.  I actually remember brain scans being cited to support that.  I'm an introvert and if I signed on to a show that was entitled "Constant Togetherness" I think I would know it wasn't for me just based on that title alone, lol.  So I wonder about these extroverts who sign on for this show and don't realize that "Alone" means ALONE and thus it might not be for them.  But then again people constantly overestimate themselves these days.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm an introvert and if I signed on to a show that was entitled "Constant Togetherness" I think I would know it wasn't for me just based on that title alone, lol.

I'm also an introvert, and you are so right on that one!  There is no way I would sign up for that, I'd likely be annoyed and irritated most of every day.  We introverts need our down time, away from socializing.  People try to paint introverts as being deficient somehow, but I've always been proud of being an introvert.

I don't want to rag on Brady too much, being as he's served in the military and all.  But wow, it gets me when guys tap out because they miss their family.  I'm sure their perspective in the moment is different than what we see, but it's like they always try to frame it as if they've had a "moment of clarity" when they realize what's important to them, and that their family doesn't really want or need the prize money, they need their father home.  Like you say, they knew what they were signing up for.

He was also the guy who talked about watching four movies in one night while on call or something.  I'm thinking that's a lot of movies in one night.  Kind of goes along with what you say about extroverts needing some sort of external stimulus because there's not a lot going on inside.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, rmontro said:

He was also the guy who talked about watching four movies in one night while on call or something.

That was a big clue. If you are a person who leaves the TV on all day or even to fall asleep, cuz you find the voices/distraction comforting --do not do this show!

It's possible Brady did not have enough self-awareness about himself to know this though. You would think after watching all these people tap out for the "bored/family" reason, contestants might try a couple weeks of camping ALONE in rough conditions, with very little food, to see how crazy it makes them. Then they could perhaps gage if they can stand a couple months of it before they put everyone through it. 

• Love 5

The rescue crew must roll their eyes when a tapper says...."I have 6 days of food stashed away but I missed my daughter's birthday so I want to leave"...well, you already missed the birthday...just saying.....

Guessing his wife will not be as happy to see him as he is to see them.....betcha he comes to regret his tapping out 5 minutes after the big welcome home.

The kids excitedly check his pockets and realize they aren't filled with hundred dollar bills as promised....

The kids stand around looking at him puzzled and confused to why he quit as he lamely explains how much he missed them...they slowly leave him to play in the next room.....

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Guessing his wife will not be as happy to see him as he is to see them...

I envision a split screen for this show.  The soon-to-be tapper-outer (who is, theoretically, doing this FOR HIS FAMILY) is sitting on one side of the screen with six fish filets, bemoaning that he has missed his daughter's birthday and how much he misses his wife.

On the other side, wife is with a realtor, touring upscale homes in a better neighborhood, so that as soon as hubby gets home with the $500,000 they can move to a place that's big enough for a family of six.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, TVbitch said:

That was a big clue. If you are a person who leaves the TV on all day or even to fall asleep, cuz you find the voices/distraction comforting --do not do this show!

It's possible Brady did not have enough self-awareness about himself to know this though. You would think after watching all these people tap out for the "bored/family" reason, contestants might try a couple weeks of camping ALONE in rough conditions, with very little food, to see how crazy it makes them. Then they could perhaps gage if they can stand a couple months of it before they put everyone through it. 

I know, one would think.  I have to wonder if people who are that other-focused tend to have that kind of self awareness.  I don't like to generalize because I know some pretty self-aware extroverts who would know that about themselves.  But it makes me wonder about some people.

• Love 1

I'm having a hard time telling the two women spazzes apart -- so did the same woman set her house on fire, twice, or are we at one each, now?

However, say what you will about the klutzes, none of the women have needed to tap out yet. Woniya is my favorite contestant overall, but I'm pretty impressed with Jordan, too. I hope we don't return to him next week only to find him rolling around with moose poisoning.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

People are nearly cutting fingers and limbs off, burning up their hut .... and Brady wants to go home .... and they are staying in it for the long haul. I hope he’s embarrassed.

It'd be funny if his kids said "Oh, you're home already?" like they hardly noticed his absence. Then let him know how disappointing he is.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I believe the contestants are allowed to bring ten items, and of course they need to choose wisely because their survival depends on it, but if it were possible to bring a nice, thick book I would do that.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Dittohead said:

if it were possible to bring a nice, thick book I would do that.

I want to say "Wilderness Survival for Dummies!", but this group is generally doing okay. Of course some could use "Knife Skills for Dummies", "How to Put Out a Fire", or maybe "The Art of Zen".

Maybe they should allow 1 non-survival item in future shows, like Les Stroud's harmonica (which can double as an anti-bear device).

What would you bring if you could bring 1 non-survival item? I would think a deck of card but I'm interested to hear what others would bring.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Dittohead said:

if it were possible to bring a nice, thick book I would do that. 

I think the whole point of Alone is to see how people deal with being alone -without- 'crutches' like books and games. They would never be allowed to have something like that 'to help pass the time'. Woniya doesn't seem to need anything like that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I remember when they had the couples version (which I hated) one pair made a checker board and checkers.

12 hours ago, Eataton said:

It'd be funny if his kids said "Oh, you're home already?" like they hardly noticed his absence. Then let him know how disappointing he is.

LMAO, I wish they’d do clips of when the people are reunited with family or whoever. If it was my Dad, I’d be asking “where’s the half million you promised us?”

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

LMAO, I wish they’d do clips of when the people are reunited with family or whoever. If it was my Dad, I’d be asking “where’s the half million you promised us?”

Or the wife . . . "You said you weren't coming home without the money.  If you don't have the money, you're not coming in this house!!!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 3