Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: By The Spit

• Start Topic

This is me, not giving a fuck about Nova at all. I'm tired of her hogging up screen time.

Bye, Cree. Nice seeing you again.

Prosper and Lady Genevieve were cute.

Yeah, Charley and Romero don't work at all....not even dancing close to Latin music under a red light can turn up the spice for them. Their sex scene was the only time I looked at my phone the whole episode.

Mildly interested in seeing Calvin next week.

By the way, Rutina definitely looked pregnant in that outfit.

• Love 5

St. Charley continues to be boring.

St. Ralph Angel, St. Darla & Lispy Little Blue are dull as all hell.

Hollywood & Vi need to be hit by a semi while riding his new bike.

Still love Nova & Micah.

Mr. Prosper is adorable.

• LOL 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

This is me, not giving a fuck about Nova at all. I'm tired of her hogging up screen time.

My issue with this is the fact that Nova exploited / betrayed her family seems to be glossed over or ignored with this book tour & it's cheap writing trying to have it both ways. Nova's book is supposedly so phenomenal that she immediately has awards and accolades coming her way then the show reminds us her family still is ghosting her by having Nova leave voicemails yet they don't want to have it addressed by having any folks at these events question her about her family feels about the book. Even Octavia only had a throw away line about it. (Also, it was good to see Cree but she was wasted as Octavia, who ultimately amounted to not really having an impact on anything).

Calvin is in the book and in the preview for next week. I wonder what exactly Nova wrote about Calvin since that one lady's comment made it seem Harlequin-esque.

Charley & Romero are still so very dry together. The dancing and then the sex scene... it wasn't awful but it just was so bland. Part of me wondered how the dancing & sex scene would have been had Jacob been in Romero's place. 

I like that no one on Queen Sugar is a saint nor is treated that way by the actual writing nor by other characters. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

My issue with this is the fact that Nova exploited / betrayed her family seems to be glossed over or ignored with this book tour & it's cheap writing trying to have it both ways. Nova's book is supposedly so phenomenal that she immediately has awards and accolades coming her way then the show reminds us her family still is ghosting her by having Nova leave voicemails yet they don't want to have it addressed by having any folks at these events question her about her family feels about the book. Even Octavia only had a throw away line about it. (Also, it was good to see Cree but she was wasted as Octavia, who ultimately amounted to not really having an impact on anything).

Calvin is in the book and in the preview for next week. I wonder what exactly Nova wrote about Calvin since that one lady's comment made it seem Harlequin-esque.

Charley & Romero are still so very dry together. The dancing and then the sex scene... it wasn't awful but it just was so bland. Part of me wondered how the dancing & sex scene would have been had Jacob been in Romero's place. 

I like that no one on Queen Sugar is a saint nor is treated that way by the actual writing nor by other characters. 

I so agree Charley and Romero don't work. There is just no fire there. I would rather see her make love to Jacob or even Davis ( I know Davis is a stretch and he doesn't deserve her ) but I am speaking from a chemistry aspect . Octavia the professor was correct in her assessment of Nova, she clearly did throw her family under the bus and Octavia is also very insecure and controlling.  Nova is unlucky  in love, be it male or female she can't seem to get it right.

• Love 5

I thought the pastor was going to say he's put off by Charley because he knows about the men who died on her farm. 

The dance and love scene was so awkward and stilted. I rather they played it like the older movies and show them kissing and cut the scene to after the act. 

How long has the book and tour been out for Nova to rack up all these awards? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

How long has the book and tour been out for Nova to rack up all these awards? 

I feel like Nova has only been gone like 2 weeks max so the timeline is a certainly a choice.

(edited)
On 7/25/2019 at 8:25 AM, Chick2Chic said:

Wonder if Calvin left his wife? Had he left her when he came back into her life briefly a season or two ago? That must have been an awkward conversation, if the wife read her book. I would have guessed Calvin read it since her knows her but we don't know if the wife knew Nova. Maybe she's not a reader. (She was REALLY out here using real names and not consulting people. Damn.)

On 7/25/2019 at 10:58 AM, byrd said:

Nova is unlucky  in love, be it male or female she can't seem to get it right.

I don't think she's unlucky, I think she makes bad choices and acts badly. Reagan Gomez said she always wants everything on her terms, which appears to be true. I think she and Calvin were supposed to be really in love, but ... married, and a cop (which may be a bigger issue than him being married, given her activism). Her professor, when she was a student - bad look. There was some professor she dated who was friends with racists. She picks badly.

It's about time that Romero and Charley got down, but I agree, that scene lacked heat.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

It's about time that Romero and Charley got down, but I agree, that scene lacked heat.

It did. I was disappointed. Charley's been celibate since her divorce. She deserved fireworks.

I do like Romero, but I can't deny that he gives off a friendship vibe more than romantic.

This book storyline isn't as explosive as it should be. Let's see if it affects Charley's campaign.

So, Octavia was a stealth bitch. "I made you." Nova's on my shit list, but even I had to gasp at that.

• Love 2

Octavia is bitter.  She's worked hard to break down barriers to get where she is and pave the way for others, and now she sees her student getting the accolades and recognition she never did.  And she's hurt that Nova barely acknowledged her existence in her book since they clearly had a close and important relationship.  I would feel sympathetic if she also wasn't competitive and sneaky and trying to undermine Nova while pretending to be supportive.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I just wish the Nova story would make some progress, or some actual waves people need to deal with. The one journalist asked about how her book affected her family, but Nova just gave some bullshit line about how confrontations lead to forgiveness before Octavia jumped in to answer questions for Nova. I want to see people really digging into how her family feels   about this, I want to see people confront her about what she did, her family and others, I want her to show at least some tiny glimpse of self awareness about what she did, I want her to hear how Blue had to find out about who his biological father is, I want something to happen beside Nova being so far up her own ass she can see out her throat! Nova did a horrible thing to people she keep saying she loves, and I get tired of just watching her be a selfish asshole every week without anything really happening! 

I did actually feel a bit bad for her when she realized that Octavia was using her to advance her own career, and it takes a LOT to make me feel bad for Nova at this point. And I even felt a bit sorry for Octavia when she was saying how hard she worked to just get in the door and that her career is now cooling down. And she did have that line about how Nova threw her family under a bus for a book deal, which...yeah. 

Seriously, how is Novas book apparently winning all these awards and getting all these fans and  numbers and is being hailed as the Great American Novel or the new I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings or whatever, when every section we hear sounds like an overwritten gossip rag where a women drags everyone in her life to make incredibly half assed commentary on the African American experience. 

Charley running for office is a good idea for her, she is a natural politician, but I forget, is she still working on running Queen Sugar, or is RA doing that as well as the farm? Romero is a good guy, but he and Charlie just dont spark. That being said, he is miles better than dickhead Davis and judgey Remy at least. 

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I just wish the Nova story would make some progress, or some actual waves people need to deal with. The one journalist asked about how her book affected her family, but Nova just gave some bullshit line about how confrontations lead to forgiveness before Octavia jumped in to answer questions for Nova. I want to see people really digging into how her family feels   about this, I want to see people confront her about what she did, her family and others, I want her to show at least some tiny glimpse of self awareness about what she did, I want her to hear how Blue had to find out about who his biological father is, I want something to happen beside Nova being so far up her own ass she can see out her throat! Nova did a horrible thing to people she keep saying she loves, and I get tired of just watching her be a selfish asshole every week without anything really happening! 

Why should Nova have to experience that?

The writers have bent over many different ways to excuse Ralph Angel & Charley's behavior, so why should Nova be any different?

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Charley and Remy never did the deed? I thought they did. 

I think they started but never finished. I remember them talking in the middle and when Charley realized Remy had a more serious design on their relationship like marriage and kids, Charley slammed the brakes.

• Love 1

Gotta love that non-existent cut on Charley's neck from the brick-through-the-window incident.  No blood, no cut shown and she was not close enough to the window for it to hit her in that area at all.

• LOL 2

Nova's realizing what it's like to get used by someone you thought loved you and could be trusted. Gee, imagine that, Nova.

Does Charley really care for Romero or does he mainly give her entrée into the Latinx community? And some secksay times. But both actors seem restrained  in portraying any real passion between them. Wonder if that's a deliberate directing choice?

And Octavia went in. She's spoke some truth but she's still utterly full of herself. She was acting like Nova cheated on her, fgs.

🎶Prosper's got a girrrl-friend.🎶

Nah, Nova. Nobody in your family is looking for your pride in them after the way you trashed them to the world. Bet she'll try to glom onto Charley's campaign, calling herself helping by shining some of her own trashy light on it.

• Love 6