Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Showdown at the Hoedown

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Crazydoxielady said:

She has managed to have her “keep a dude baby” So at least she’s set up financially, and it’s clear that that’s all this was about.

That’s not a “keep a dude baby.” It’s the far superior “secure the bag” baby. The latter gets your money right, with or without the dude. Keep a dude babies leave you a single parent waiting on back child support payments or in a relationship with someone who resents you.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 14

I wonder if white Chris ever thought about doing a reality cooking show? With his personality, he’d be good on Hell’s Kitchen or Master Chef.  I don’t watch Top Chef to comment on that one, but it’s in the Bravo family... hmmm...

• Love 1

Candiace, needs to learn that while it is perfectly okay to HAVE an opinion, it is not always okay to EXPRESS that opinion. I tell my 21 year old this all the time when we start having conversations about how things "should" run in the house I pay for. What separates a child from an adult is learning what that difference is and when to express it. Candiace isn't wrong that she's kee-kee'd with all of them individually about Ashley and Kangaroo Jack's relationship, but the issue is bringing it up in mixed company in public to drag her, especially when everyone in the room is already clear that you think that they are fake and false. 

As for the rest of it, Candiace also needs someone she respects to express to her in no uncertain terms that she fights just like her momma - down and dirty and straight for the jugular. I don't blame her, because you mirror what you see, but she's going to lose Chris, all her friends, and everyone she cares about except her momma if she doesn't realize this and internalize that she needs to change the dynamic. What is really deep about the whole thing is that she wants Chris to respond to her the same way she responds to her mother, with complete and total capitulation, but she also sees him as weak because he does that. It's fascinating to watch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
18 hours ago, drivethroo said:

With the departure of Charisse & addition of Candiace, the cast is now skewing younger, with most of the cast in their 30s. Robyn is 39 or 40, Gizelle is late 40s and Karen is the grande dame at 56.  Ashley is still the youngest (30).

And the folks who were closest in age (Karen at 56, Charisse at 54, Gizelle at 48, Robyn at 40, as of this writing) are the ones who had relationships that pre-date the show. Ashley and Candiace and Monique are the ones who didn't have relationships with the other women or with each other before the show. (Ashley said she knew Candiace via the pageant world but I don't get the sense that they were that close.) I am not sure how Katie (who is 39 right now, today) fits into all this - I've forgotten if she had a relationship with any of the cast before the show.

7 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

As for the rest of it, Candiace also needs someone she respects to express to her in no uncertain terms that she fights just like her momma - down and dirty and straight for the jugular.

Yep. Remember when she got mad at Chris about holding her purse (he called her spoiled, which she is - like, I don't even think that's a matter of opinion) and she went to "that's why your dad hates you" or something?

6 hours ago, nb360 said:

I wonder if white Chris ever thought about doing a reality cooking show? With his personality, he’d be good on Hell’s Kitchen or Master Chef.  I don’t watch Top Chef to comment on that one, but it’s in the Bravo family... hmmm...

I've been a Top Chef watcher since day one. I could see him competing but I doubt he'd win. The talent pool on that show is very high (James Beard award-winners, etc.).

• Love 6
6 hours ago, nb360 said:

I don't think he would qualify for Master Chef...unless they've changed the concept, Master Chef is about home cooks that don't have professional culinary training and/or is not a professional chef.  He could potentially sign up for the other options, though I wouldn't recommend Hell's Kitchen just because it's a show that prioritizes the drama over the talent.

34 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

As for the rest of it, Candiace also needs someone she respects to express to her in no uncertain terms that she fights just like her momma - down and dirty and straight for the jugular. I don't blame her, because you mirror what you see, but she's going to lose Chris, all her friends, and everyone she cares about except her momma if she doesn't realize this and internalize that she needs to change the dynamic. What is really deep about the whole thing is that she wants Chris to respond to her the same way she responds to her mother, with complete and total capitulation, but she also sees him as weak because he does that. It's fascinating to watch.

I don't think Candiace respects anyone enough to listen to something that she isn't ready or wanting to hear and accept right now. Her response to Chris making the comparisonto her mother was to get angry, cry and make up a BS excuse for how the situations are totally different and their behaviours are not even the same. Just last week she was pulling out a tissue and dabbing her eyes because her mother diminishes her feelings yet the moment her husband pointed out that she fights like her mom and she treats him the way her mother treats her, she didn't hesitate to diminish his feelings when he was expresses to her how she makes him feel when she gets angry. When it comes to her own flaw,s Candiace barely tries to act like she's woke. The reality is that she can barely see past her own nose and in her mind she doesn't need to because it's all about her anyway.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

And the folks who were closest in age (Karen at 56, Charisse at 54, Gizelle at 48, Robyn at 40, as of this writing) are the ones who had relationships that pre-date the show. Ashley and Candiace and Monique are the ones who didn't have relationships with the other women or with each other before the show. (Ashley said she knew Candiace via the pageant world but I don't get the sense that they were that close.) I am not sure how Katie (who is 39 right now, today) fits into all this - I've forgotten if she had a relationship with any of the cast before the show.

I think Katie, along with Karen, Charisse, Gizelle and maybe Robyn are all part of Jack and Jill.  I believe the show was originally supposed to be about the Jack and Jill world and the organization was like "Nope!" and it became a housewife show.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

I think Katie, along with Karen, Charisse, Gizelle and maybe Robyn are all part of Jack and Jill.  I believe the show was originally supposed to be about the Jack and Jill world and the organization was like "Nope!" and it became a housewife show.  

Gizelle and Robyn were probably in Jack and Jill as children, whereas Karen and Charisse had their kids in Jack and Jill. 

7 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

I don't think Candiace respects anyone enough to listen to something that she isn't ready or wanting to hear and accept right now. Her response to Chris making the comparisonto her mother was to get angry, cry and make up a BS excuse for how the situations are totally different and thei

I was going to say the same thing about CandyAss. She doesn’t respect anyone because she doesn’t want to hear it.

She really needs to get a real job with set hours and responsibilities. That’s how most of us learn to cope with the real world and cope with ourselves.

• Love 7
On 7/15/2019 at 1:10 PM, Vixenstud said:

If Gizzard gets half the karma Ashley's getting this season then I will be one happy camper.

Bitch hadda open her fat beak when Candiace apologized to Ashley, just couldn't fucking let it go.....she's the miserable person that's only happy when everyone else is miserable.

Why was Katie looking like Raj Thomas with a ratty old weave?

Raj.jpg

DEAD.

I love this board!  So funny!

Add me to the list of people that love Monique.  I wasn't digging her the first season she was on, but I'm loving her now.  She is hilarious.  Her laugh is contagious.  The "Ho's about to throw down" made me giggle.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 7/14/2019 at 9:33 PM, breezy424 said:

I really got nothing.  Candy is too much.  And why is she driving a Lexus with stickers in the front windshield that looks like Virginia stickers.  She lives in Maryland and Maryland cars don't have stickers in the middle of the front windshield.  Yeah, this was one of the top interesting things to me this episode.

What medication is Katie on?

I'm team Monique. 

Clang clang.  Soap?  WTF?

Clank clank - when the bars close and lock at jail

soap - dropping the soap in jail can give a man access to rape another man since he’s bent over. So they say don’t drop the soap.

23 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

I kinda have an idea about J&J from a Bernie Mac episode but can someone tell me what it is about?

I looked it up.

First, I went to Urban Dictionary.....that was a mistake.....

More digging and this makes sense:

It's an organization, founded by moms, to provide access to role modeling for leadership, to inspire African American children.

• Useful 1
15 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

That sounds sweet and uppity at the same time.

It was started in the 30s when there weren’t a lot of groups and organizations for African-American children to join.

• Love 2

I’m just wondering was Ashley telling her mom she was in Michael’s house since he was paying for it. If not, there’s no need in trying to make Candiace feel any kind of way. Don’t start on people’s moms if you don’t want your needy mom talked about. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, FancyNancy said:

I’m just wondering was Ashley telling her mom she was in Michael’s house since he was paying for it. If not, there’s no need in trying to make Candiace feel any kind of way. Don’t start on people’s moms if you don’t want your needy mom talked about. 

Didn’t Ashley tell her mother more than once that she needed to stop being an asshole to Michael because he was supporting her?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Didn’t Ashley tell her mother more than once that she needed to stop being an asshole to Michael because he was supporting her?

Ashley’s and Candiass’s moms are on opposite ends of the asshole spectrum. Ashley’s mom is always going to use Ashley to get money to support loser boyfriends that she is desperate to keep. Candiass’s mom pays for everything her daughter wants to control her.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

Ashley and Candiass’s mom are on opposite ends of the asshole spectrum. Ashley’s mom is always going to use Ashley to get money to support loser boyfriends that she is desperate to keep. Candiass’s mom pays for everything her daughter wants to control her.

Opposite ends for sure, but both horrible

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Opposite ends for sure, but both horrible

Seriously: they need to bond over their mutually awful moms, not fight over them. Ditto their white hubbies. As much as those two have in common, I’ll never understand why Ashley and Cadiace can’t seem to find their common ground.

• Love 7
(edited)

Now that I've watched the episode...

I'm pretty sure Chris hates Candace and is using her.

Katie is Candace in five years.

Because her mother is so controlling and judgmental, Candace is programmed to defensiveness, followed by rage, when anyone else tries to counsel her on her behavior. Also she's enraged that she's lost control of her "perfect" beauty queen image on national TV.

Katy's cabin is in Purcellville, VA. Had to laugh at the housewives characterizing it as the sticks. Purcellville is in Loudoun County, which is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation (e.g., AOL money). Along with alot of new home construction, many historical properties have been preserved. My inlaws lived there long ago and restored an old house, doing the work themselves over the years. My neighbors grew up on a farm in Purcellville that was sold to developers. At one time there were a few celebrities in the area (horse and vineyard country). Because the FAA has a big center out there, and Dulles International Airport, lots of pilots and FAA employess have homes in Loudoun County.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Seriously: they need to bond over their mutually awful moms, not fight over them. Ditto their white hubbies. As much as those two have in common, I’ll never understand why Ashley and Cadiace can’t seem to find their common ground.

Part of it is a petty pageant squabble. Candiass is very proud of her Miss United States title. Ashley puts it down as a third rate pageant at best. I think these lower tier pageants can be easily bought. I remember hearing about one where the winner was the same person who brought in the most sponsorship money ( though the organizers said it was just a coincidence)so there might have been chance that mommy bought the title as well. Candiass puts Ashley down for not winning a national title but I think Ashley was Miss DC, which is as legitimate as these things get.

The funny thing is Candiass is cute but the pageant look does nothing for her. I think she would look better without tons of makeup and the giant wig hair.

2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Now that I've watched the episode...

I'm pretty sure Chris hates Candace and is using her.

Katie is Candace is five years.

Because her mother is so controlling and judgmental, Candace is programmed to defensiveness, followed by rage, when anyone else tries to counsel her on her behavior. She's enraged that she's lost control of her "perfect" beauty queen image on national TV.

Katy's cabin is in Purcellville, VA. Had to laugh at the housewives characterizing it as the sticks. Purcellville is in Loudoun County, which is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation (e.g., AOL money). Along with alot of new home construction, many historical properties have been preserved. My inlaws lived there long ago and restored an old house, doing the work themselves over the years. My neighbors grew up on a farm in Purcellville that was sold to developers. At one time there were a few celebrities in the area (horse and vineyard country). Because the FAA has a big center out there, and Dulles International Airport, lots of pilots and FAA employess have homes in Loudoun County.

You are so right. Both Katie and Candiass have domineering mothers who have stunted their daughter’s emotional growth. 

Both daughters found some success in superficial industries where you are judged for your looks and have an expiration date due to age. I think Katie made good money as a model though she was never on the level of Cynthia Bailey.

The difference was back in the day Katie used to pick men with money. Her white  ex husband is a doctor, Andrew, her ex fiancé , made some money in finance, and like all beautiful African American models, she briefly dated Russell Simmons.

White Chris seems hella nice but I’m sure he’a only putting up with Candiass’s ten year old trapped in a 32 year old body stupidity for the come up. He does seem like he might be a talented chef though.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Because they're both shallow, petty bitches more interested in famewhoring and other people's money than self-development.

2 hours ago, qtpye said:

The difference was back in the day Katie used to pick men with money. Her white  ex husband is a doctor, Andrew, her ex fiancé , made some money in finance, and like all beautiful African American models, she briefly dated Russell Simmons.

Am I wrong that this was our first time seeing Katie's black Mama? For some reason, I'm recalling an episode (when she was a regular) with a white woman with whom she discussed money and being financially cut off. I thought that was her mother. Katie didn't interact with Rynthia at all in this episode. Without the chryon, I would have had no idea she was her mother.

• Love 3
On 7/14/2019 at 8:31 PM, rustyspigot said:

I think Katie lost some brain cells (and her glass lenses) in The Vortex? What the hell was that about?

Candyass is becoming a magician producing those "tear squares" out of thin air.

It's scary Monique is the voice of reason. BUT, don't have the first thing you offer me be a banana if I schlep out to your place with your kids, Monique.

Just as I renamed Sugar Bear as Gummy Bear (in another forum), Candyass is now Dabber to me.   Dab them non-existent tears, Girl!

• LOL 2
On 7/17/2019 at 9:49 AM, Rlb8031 said:

Yep!  Candiace totally mirrors her mom’s behavior.  It’s sad that she doesn’t realize it.  Then talking about how she’s better than the negative energy around her - ummmm, maybe not EVERYONE you know has negative energy.  Maybe it’s you.

Monique looks so pretty with that short hair.

• Love 3
On 7/14/2019 at 8:42 PM, drivethroo said:

LOL @ Karen's hairstylist reading the scoop with her.

LOL @ Katie's neighbors watching the melee go down.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:22 PM, Empress1 said:

"How you gon' be mad at Robyn? You know Robyn ain't the brain. Robyn is Pinky!" [cut to Robyn with pink hair]

I DIED. I see you, Bravo editors.

These made me lol has much as Karen claiming she is 50 did.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 7/19/2019 at 12:45 PM, biakbiak said:

I think she did, but I’m saying why she didn’t tell her she was in Michael’s house. Since that was the jab she threw at Candiace. Don’t throw them stones when your momma is living the same way off your cooter. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 7/16/2019 at 4:14 PM, Jennabelle88 said:

Karen gets on my nerves. She's too shifty with who she wants to hang with or defend. Girl, bye. You've hated on everyone at some point. Ain't she too old to be hanging out with these girls anyway? I don't hang out with my mama. Well, I do, but she's my mama. Lol

Remember when the show began Karen was shown as the “gatekeeper” of Potomac high society, so it was natural that she was a bit older than the other ladies (and also there was Charrisse). As Drivethroo points out, the cast has now skewed younger. I think Karen still deserves her spot on the show. She has changed and was dealing with grief, and so not as involved in some stuff, but I still enjoy seeing her and hearing her remarks. 

And let me point out that she has to stay on the show because she is the one who still lives close to Potomac! 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, FancyNancy said:

I think she did, but I’m saying why she didn’t tell her she was in Michael’s house. Since that was the jab she threw at Candiace. Don’t throw them stones when your momma is living the same way off your cooter. 

But we never saw Ashley’s mother making a big deal about it being her home so it’s not really a fair comparison.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:26 PM, drivethroo said:

Candiace can't understand why the double standard, so she's rationalizing it as the gang having colorism issues & is sticking up for Ashley because she's light and dragging her because she's dark. 

Did you hear of Candiace saying this, or is this just your opinion?  My take is that they are sticking with Ashley because they've known her longer and have resolved their issues with her.  I don't see where skin color plays into it at all.  

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, swankie said:

Did you hear of Candiace saying this, or is this just your opinion?  My take is that they are sticking with Ashley because they've known her longer and have resolved their issues with her.  I don't see where skin color plays into it at all.  

I also don’t even think that it had anything  to do with them knowing her longer it’s that they all, probably as mothers who drank before they found out they were pregnant and maybe some who followed a doctors guidelines about having a glass or two during that they just find Candiace’s argument stupid, harmful, and such a weird thing to continually bring up.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

But we never saw Ashley’s mother making a big deal about it being her home so it’s not really a fair comparison.

She couldn’t when she wasn’t paying anything on it. Candiace at least is paying on the mortgage. So technically Candiace is a renter when Ashley’s mom is a freeloader.

(edited)
On 7/24/2019 at 6:31 AM, FancyNancy said:

She couldn’t when she wasn’t paying anything on it. Candiace at least is paying on the mortgage. So technically Candiace is a renter when Ashley’s mom is a freeloader.

Says Candiace. What ghost job money  has she been paying that mortgage with?

I don’t believe for a minute that Candiace is paying anything on that mortgage. Her mom let that slip when Candiace quickly closed the laptop to end that Skype call and then pulled out one of her 90 degree tissue squares.

Candiace is a freeloader. Now she’s got bum ass dude with 3 kids and child support payments reaching in her mom’s money bag for a come up.

Edited by brillia79
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 9:24 AM, jmcd44 said:

It is but it is sort on a side street near offices.  I go to a gym near there and there is not a lot of traffic in that area.  Also, I'm a pretty vocal hater of that restaurant (and lover of Overwood-the previous restaurant) so I will also very pettily say that no one goes there.  (Disclaimer-I have been there once and yesterday at lunch, a few friends said they actually really enjoy it)  I was very tired watching this-did Candiace have her dry the eyes, folded up napkin for her teary conversation with Chris in her car?

Ah, I had thought perhaps the BBQ place where Chris works was in the former Overwood location! I used to work on N. Lee Street a couple of blocks from Overwood and know that little commercial strip well. I really liked Overwood — loved their fried green tomatoes, the bar, and their brunch. Now that I’ve seen the episode I recognize the interior. (I used to get my pedicures at Sunny Nails a few doors down. The old story, Sunny had to move when the landlord pushed up the rent. Maybe that’s what drove out Overwood also.)

I don’t think a BBQ place will last long in that location. It’s a couple blocks too far from King St for tourists to stumble on and BBQ is too one-note for the neighborhood folks to go there weekly like they might have gone to Overwood with its wider menu. If Chris’s cooking is as good as the ladies seemed to say, why is he stuck in a BBQ joint? I give him props for trying to promote his skills on the show. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Useful 3
(edited)
On 7/16/2019 at 7:43 PM, Crazydoxielady said:

I  cannot stand Candyass. The more I start to dislike her the more she looks like her mother both on the outside and in actions. As far as Ashley acting all wide-eyed, trying to make the audience think that there’s any possibility that the allegations are not true; she looks like a total idiot. She has managed to have her “keep a dude baby” So at least she’s set up financially, and it’s clear that that’s all this was about. Michael is clearly gay with some ability to still get it on with the chic (hence his abilities at ongoing procreation), but it’s clear his proclivity is mainly dudes. What has happened with this whole lawsuit anyway?  I also think that they forged forward with this child in an attempt to make Michael look more straight.

Also I am totally here for Karen! She looked amazing on that motorcycle and it was clear she knew what she was doing, and I think she turned BBG on! So cute! And then her sassy retorts to Ashley “clank clank” where everything!

Okay why is it clear that Michael is gay? I think Michael's problem is that he's too busy going for the shock value and says and does outlandish things.

I was engaged to a British man. Older and he was a character and just loved doing things for shock value including joking with other men. There was no mistaking his tone and that he was in fact having a laugh but at the same time he still took the joke further than any guy I knew would have. Then I went on a trip with him back to the town he grew up in in England. Everyone knew everyone and I was at pub after pub with him meeting friends and having fun and they ribbed each other and him so much. Loud, rowdy, inappropriate as all get out. You wouldn't believe how often they joked on each other using sexual innuendos, very comfortable with physical humor. Kinda like in that frat boy sorta way.

Sorry, not trying to make excuses but that's the vibe I've always gotten from Michael. Add the fact that he is EXTRA thirsty for camera time so to be honest I just think he's had some very poor judgement in his foolish attempts at being shocking and playful. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Sorry, not trying to make excuses but that's the vibe I've always gotten from Michael. Add the fact that he is EXTRA thirsty for camera time so to be honest I just think he's had some very poor judgement in his foolish attempts at being shocking and playful. 

Thank you, @Yours Truly!!! I had the same sentiment as you a few posts back, having hung with some Aussies and British guys myself. They have a much bawdier sense of humor and love to poke fun and go for the jugular when the drinks start flowing. Raunchy sex humor is part of their drinking culture, especially with the Aussies; my Australian brother-in-law has made some equally drunken  comments that raised a few eyebrows, but they just don’t give as much of a shit about that uptight ‘keeping up appearances’(aka “No homo!”) shit as we do here in America, most especially within the AA community. 

Michael has never given me a gay vibe and my gaydar is pretty tight. Maybe he swings either way and is sexually fluid at the most. 

And I agree that I think he’s just extra, probably wants to seem edgy and funny on camera, and that’s ramped up even more after a few extra cocktails. Let’s not forget how wild Ashley was herself during the first season—-she used to get equally crunk and alluded to the fact that she and Michael got their kink on.

And as far as those pics of Michael supposedly trolling on gay sites, it was proven that those were doctored up/it was a lookalike. Lord, and suddenly I sound like Ashley here: promise y’all that I’m not!!

Just saying, I don’t think he was flirting or trying to get into dudes’ pants. Being inappropriate and creepy? Yes. Trying to troll for random dick? I seriously doubt it.

• Love 3