Type keyword(s) to search

Fargo Future Season Speculation: There May Be Snow

Ohwell
  • Start Topic

Since we're talking wild fan theories, when Ed called himself 'the butcher of Luvern', I wondered if it was at all possible that we were watching Malvo's origin story.

I don't think so.  Quite likely he was told that he is referred to as "the Butcher of Luverne", and that he is simply an employee of a butcher shop.

I understand the origin of the nickname but there seemed to be a bit of menace when he said it himself in this past episode when he called to say he had Dodd. As if he were embracing its new implications.

I could be seeing things. I did say it was wild spec.

I think Ed's trying to sound like he's one of them to get Mike to take him seriously. My guess is that we'll find out he and Peggy got a lot of information out of Dodd, and now they're going to try to use it to their advantage.

yes and the camera zoom as he said it is pretty much a dead giveaway that he will kill him. Unless this show is smart enough to use that as a fake out and someone else will get Milligan. 

I feel like every character will die in the end. The whole Gerhardt family will be eradicated as well as much of the KC Mob. of course we know Lou survives, but everyone else could very well die. I really hope Ed and Peggy don't survive, that would just be a tad too much.

Maybe, but I liked the theory that Bear is the Fargo gangster from season one who was devouring the fried fish in the Chinese restaurant. The boss of the crew that Lorne Malvo later wiped out.

He was a big hulking guy and talked the same way.

Can't wait to find out.

I've thought from the beginning how great it would be if simple Ed broke bad ( pun intended for Todd from BB), and actually did become a big man in the mob. He tried to live a good, simple life, and ended up losing the shop, would have lost his wife, and nearly lost his life. If the Yit hits the fan in Sioux Falls, and all the Gerhardts are wiped out, as well as the majority of the Kansas City mob, then maybe that's the beginning of Ed, The Butcher of Lucerne's running things?! I love Peggy and Ed, and would love to see more of them in season 3. I think it may switch back to adult Molly's POV, with possibility of Simone returning as an older Gerhardt woman who was on the run for years. Along with with Charlie when he gets out of prison.

If they do a third season I wouldn't mind seeing Otto's rise to power. However, I don't think they'd do something set in the early 1950's.

I think that decade is too far in the past to be relevant to 2015 viewers.

Not necessarily. I never got into Mad Men, but countless others did. I really liked Aquarius this summer, largely because it was set in the late 60s when I came of age, but I don't think it attracted a large following--maybe because of the subject matter. But, anyway, I think I would like to see younger Hanzee going off to 'Nam and Fargo at that time.

I'm enjoying the season, but I really hope there's some ray of light at the end, because the sheer weight of the tragedy of these characters--yes, even the career murderers--is beginning to wear me down:

1. Lou: devoted family man watching his wife waste away and powerless to stop it.

2. Hank: devoted family man who lost his wife recently and is afraid that he will lose his daughter soon, may or may not be researching alien lore in an attempt to save his daughter's life.

3. Betsy: grimly aware that she is dying, that her husband will be distraught upon her death, and that her daughter will grow up without her.

4. Ed: wants nothing more than a cozy domestic existence and to protect his wife, even thought it costs him pretty much everything.

5. Peggy: feels trapped in her life with Ed while lacking the intellectual ability or emotional vocabulary to navigate a way out, severely mentally ill (we can add hallucinations to the pile of red flags), completely out of her depth and unable to realize it.

6. Floyd: grieving her son and now her husband, has now lost a son and a granddaughter whose deaths she doesn't yet know about, is watching everything her husband worked so hard to build being systematically destroyed.

7. Bear: smart enough to know the damage Dodd has caused but unable to do anything about it, killed Simone to protect the family even though it tore him apart, grieving his brother and his father (and even Simone, I think).

8. Simone: So desperate to get rid of her abusive father that she makes a deal with a devil and is killed for it.

9. Charlie: So desperate to be of assistance to his family that he volunteers to go on a hit and is facing 10 years in prison as a result.

10. Hanzee: "Rescued" by the Gerhardts from what was probably a hellish existence in a residential school and treated as a servant and as Dodd's property as a result, decorated veteran who's treated like garbage on account of his background, did multiple tours in Vietnam out of PTSD, has gone on a killing spree because he has had enough racist bullshit for a lifetime.

11. Mike: Desperate to prove himself to KC honchos who treat him as subhuman because of his race, desperate to make a deal to save his life (getting Dodd) that we now know can never happen, ostentatiously parades his superior wit and learning to fend off others' racism.

And so on. I feel as if the humour is to distract us from the fact that this is all so sad. Pretty much all of these characters are either dead or won't survive the season, except for Lou, Betsy, Charlie, and maybe Hank. I'm going to need some shred of optimism to cling to in Season 2 if the season won't be entirely depressing. The only happy-ish ending I can possibly see right now is Charlie, who might have to go to prison but who will be free of his awful family; if he weren't in prison, I have no doubt he would end up as collateral damage in the mob war, so he's probably much safer where he is.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

I'm enjoying the season, but I really hope there's some ray of light at the end, because the sheer weight of the tragedy of these characters--yes, even the career murderers--is beginning to wear me down:

Cant' say that I am worn down about the fate of these characters right now but I agree that I will need some ray of light at the end.

Importantly, Hank must survive the upcoming events in Sioux Falls so that little Molly has her dad and grandpa. I want Betsy to die offscreen. That situation is terribly sad and I don't want to watch it. Such a wonderful family.

I suspect that Floyd survives but basically loses everything, including Bear. Hopefully, she can help Charlie because he needs to be set on the right path once he is done with his prison sentence.

Since Ed and Peggy are presently in police custody, I am not clear on their "end." I think that Peggy (somehow) flees to California to complete her self-actualization. She is completely nuts. Ed probably ends up in prison.

Everyone else will be a casualty of the upcoming massacre. Alternatively, it could prove interesting if Mike and Hanzee survive and choose a different existence.

Edited by Ellaria Sand

I suspect that Floyd survives but basically loses everything, including Bear. Hopefully, she can help Charlie because he needs to be set on the right path once he is done with his prison sentence.

I fully expect Floyd to be the only surviving Gerhardt (except, I guess, for Charlie), and to be broken by the experience. 

The only happy-ish ending I can possibly see right now is Charlie, who might have to go to prison but who will be free of his awful family; if he weren't in prison, I have no doubt he would end up as collateral damage in the mob war, so he's probably much safer where he is.

Is it foolish to hope that the authorities will go easy on him?  I absolutely think people should pay for their crimes, but he is also a textbook case of someone who can reform and lead a good, productive life.

Peggy will skate, because she is so utterly clueless of the destruction and ruination she has caused.  Ed I think will die, and Peggy won't shed a tear for him.  I am interested to see if Hanzee escapes his life.  Mike, I think, won't, although whether he dies in the massacre or off-screen because of the way he bungled his task, I don't know.

• Love 2

I fully expect Floyd to be the only surviving Gerhardt (except, I guess, for Charlie), and to be broken by the experience. 

Is it foolish to hope that the authorities will go easy on him?  I absolutely think people should pay for their crimes, but he is also a textbook case of someone who can reform and lead a good, productive life.

Peggy will skate, because she is so utterly clueless of the destruction and ruination she has caused.  Ed I think will die, and Peggy won't shed a tear for him.  I am interested to see if Hanzee escapes his life.  Mike, I think, won't, although whether he dies in the massacre or off-screen because of the way he bungled his task, I don't know.

I like the idea of Floyd surviving all of her children, but is it realistic that she would be left standing with her entire operation in ruins? We can imagine that the Sioux Falls massacre will claim the rest of the Gerhardt muscle, leaving Floyd as an isolated old woman with only minor children around her, easy pickings for some or other concern to move in and off her. Do you really think anyone would leave her alive, unless she's sufficiently fortunate to end up in prison?

As for Charlie, the 10 year prison sentence (out in 5 for good behaviour) was the worst case scenario Karl outlined in the event that they convict (and Karl seemed to imply that there was a possibility that they wouldn't). If Karl works his magic, maybe Charlie walks or gets a slap on the wrist.

I think Ed and Peggy's luck will run out. Lou has warned them so many times of the consequences of their foolishness and of the people who are dying because they won't cooperate. Karmically, they're going to pay for ignoring him, even if they aren't cruel or malicious in the way that Lester was.

Edited by Eyes High

Eyes High, except for the outright criminal behavior, the lives of these characters aren't far from the mainstream.  Ordinary people go through these experiences throughout their lives, with variations.  Broken homes, unhappy marriages -- or unexamined marriages, kids involved in risky behavior, job loss, career disappointment, feeling alienated and unappreciated.  Take away the gunplay and these folks are pretty typical.  Sad to say. 

If they do a third season I wouldn't mind seeing Otto's rise to power. However, I don't think they'd do something set in the early 1950's.

I'd like that. That time period hasn't really been covered by anything big recently and Otto's rise to power seems like a natural story.

Another possibility would be a story set during the prohibition. The older cop mentioned something about it during Floyd's interview. Could also be a good option for a potential fourth season. Of course we just had Boardwalk Empire, so I'm not sure about that.

Some wild predictions for this season:

The only characters I'm sure will die are Mike and the remaining Kitchen brother. Everyone else could make it out alive, if severely damaged - some more mentally than physically. 

- Hank: I thought he'd die because someone in Lou's family has to. But we're past the point were it would have a big impact on the rest of Lou's story for this season, so I'm not sure about that anymore. He'll probably get shot in the massacre because they can't only have nameless characters die there, but may survive.

- Betsy: I think we'll be informed that she did get the real pills, probably in one of the very last scenes of the season. She'll not get in remission, there's no time this season, but she'll get some hope.

- Bear: I agree that he'll be the mob boss last season.

- Floyd: I thought she might live, but now that she has lost almost everything, I don't see the point in that. But at least she'll get a dignified death.

- Charlie: Pretty much as safe as it gets in custody. I'm curious if we get to see a glimpse of his future, but he might be to minor for that.

- Hanzee: He already paid the karmic price most of his life, so he those racists he killed were a freebie. Plus I don't think he killed Constance. He doesn't have any reason to be at the site of the massacre, so he might escape. But then there's the whole manhunt going on... If he escapes, I can see him ending as some kind of recluse, away from the society that treated him poorly. Maybe he makes it past the border to Canada and becomes a Lumberjack... I'm only half kidding here.

- Ed and Peggy: I'm still pretty sure they'll live. The bigger question seems to me what price will they pay? I could see their marriage falling apart, Ed doing I don't know what and Peggy being unhappy alone in California. Or maybe they finally get receptive to Lou's help (well, Ed already was, that one's for Peggy) and get some much needed therapy (again, mostly for Peggy, but Ed isn't totally blameless for their situation).

- The other characters: I think all of Karl, Sonny, Noreen and Constance will come through. The first three are pretty far removed from the action at Sioux Falls and I don't think Hanzee killed Constance, just tied her up to gain enough time.

And then we'll have truckloads of dead henchmen and cops. Sucks for them, but that's what you get for not having a name on a show like this.

• Love 3

- Hank: I thought he'd die because someone in Lou's family has to. But we're past the point were it would have a big impact on the rest of Lou's story for this season, so I'm not sure about that anymore. He'll probably get shot in the massacre because they can't only have nameless characters die there, but may survive

Unlike most fictional characters, a few scenes after Hank was shotgun-butted unconscious, had to sit down and even admit he needed to go to the hospital. I don't know if this has another term beyond "Chekhov's Injury," but often a character's lasting injury signifies his demise is near. Otherwise it gets a bandaid and they're on to the next battle. I was annoyed that the only makeup Hank had looked like a scrape on his forehead; it should have been a "goose egg" swelling. But now I'm recalling a doctor telling me it was good that one of my kids had a swelling on the outside of her head from a stray ball rather than a swelling inside her skull pressing on her brain. But then again, we almost never see facial swelling makeup from injuries to characters. Still, Hank's later line about the injury does not bode well for the character.
  • Love 3

I liked your post. You are totally right, and I hadn't even thought about an Otto story, and think it would be a great idea to sort of fill in the rest of the story. But I disagree about relevance. I don't think it has to be current to be relevant.  Plenty of television is set between the present and ... I don't know, but any time before that.  Not trying to be snarky, and I did like your post, but I think people would watch it. 

• Love 1

I liked your post. You are totally right, and I hadn't even thought about an Otto story, and think it would be a great idea to sort of fill in the rest of the story. But I disagree about relevance. I don't think it has to be current to be relevant. Plenty of television is set between the present and ... I don't know, but any time before that. Not trying to be snarky, and I did like your post, but I think people would watch it.

I guess the writers and directors are clever enough to make 1950 relevant to today's viewers.

However, I think it would be challenging with the pre-Rock and Roll era.

They have relied a lot on music to help set the tone this season and that era is a long way removed from the Fargo style we've seen develop.

But I agree, it probably could be done. I just think they'd opt for something easier.

Who knows?

In "Oh Brother were art thou" the Cohen brothers made Mississippi in the 1930s seem cool.

Edited by ToastnBacon
  • Love 1

The 50s will always have Elvis. And Chuck Berry, a lot of harmony singing groups, and Sinatra. But I would really love to see them do a 60s story.

I'm probably being too nerdy here, but I think 1950 was before Rock and Roll.

Rock and Roll didn't really get started until 1953. Mid to late 50s, sure lots of Rock and Roll.

But when Otto rose to power in 1950, that was before it ramped up.

Again, I'm being nerdy about the timeline.

• Love 1

I'm probably being too nerdy here, but I think 1950 was before Rock and Roll.

Rock and Roll didn't really get started until 1953. Mid to late 50s, sure lots of Rock and Roll.

But when Otto rose to power in 1950, that was before it ramped up.

Again, I'm being nerdy about the timeline.

So that would be more jitterbug.

I agree that was pre-rock'n'roll, but surprisingly Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940s_in_music) notes:

"In 1941 Les Paul designed and built the first solid-body electric guitar."

We could have main characters listening to radio dramas and Bing Crosby singing "White Christmas."

So that would be more jitterbug.

I agree that was pre-rock'n'roll, but surprisingly Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940s_in_music) notes:

"In 1941 Les Paul designed and built the first solid-body electric guitar."

We could have main characters listening to radio dramas and Bing Crosby singing "White Christmas."

Early Rock and Roll is usually described as being a blend of several different generes of music.

Jitterbug and big band swing music certainly were an influence as were country, gospel and blues.

I heard the term post Rock last year and it made me feel strange.

That Halsey song, "New Americana" is probably the epitome of post Rock. It is hauntingly catchy and cool.

Say, what if they took season three of Fargo into the future?

I'd be up for that too!

• Love 1

Say, what if they took season three of Fargo into the future?

I'd be up for that too!

No flying cars or dystopian landscapes likely, but sort of the future:

Short piece with the showrunner about his season 3 plans. Time period is "a couple years after season 1."

I was going to message the mod to change this thread title to "season 3" instead of season 2. Any alternate suggestions? It seems too late to start a new Season 3 thread.

• Love 1

Malvo?  He be dead...real dead (as in, they couldn't revive him even if they wanted to).  Which is sad because he and Lester were the best thing about Season 1.

I don't think Hawley is cornered into a place where the next season has to be placed in a time following Malvo's season one demise.  I believe he will go for a time soon after the end of the current season.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes

Now that Season 2 is over, and that we know Season 3 will be set a few years after Season 2, I think we can get a sense of what happens to the characters in the intervening time:

Hank: Probably dead of natural causes by Season 1, let alone Season 3.

Noreen: 17 in 1979, would be 44 in 2006, maybe closer to 46 or 47 in Season 3. Probably still alive. Could show up as a recast.

Sonny: in his 20s in 1979, would be in his 50s by Season 3. Could show up as a recast.

Hanzee: Became "Tripoli," the mob boss gunned down in Season 1. Took Mr. Numbers and Mr. Wrench (the boys signing to each other) under his wing, probably shortly after he saved them from the bullies.

Karl: 44 in 1979 (same age as Nick Offerman), probably dead by 2008 or 2009, since he would be 74 or so by that point and an alcoholic (unlike Lou, who took better care of himself). Betsy did warn him that the drink would kill him. Probably not going to show up in Season 3.

Charlie: 17 in 1979, would be 47 by 2009. Unlikely to be recast, due to the visual distinctiveness of Charlie's disability. They're probably not going to be able to find another actor who could pass for an older version of Charlie with that arm. Probably dead by the time Season 3 rolls around. I'm guessing Charlie gets offed when he gets out of prison by Hanzee, who is ascendant as the mob boss as of Season 1.

Mike: Probably dead by Season 1, let alone Season 3, given that Mike is ensconced in the organization that we know that Hanzee dismantles to become the power in Fargo.

Edited by Eyes High

I think Mike could be alive. I don't think he was overly happy with his new job so maybe he got out of it at some point before the dismantling and went a different path. He was around 30 in season 2 probably so he could be in his 60s in season 3. Not out of the realm of possibility that we could see him again

I'm interested to see Malvo's origins as well. Looking back at season 1, his massacre in Fargo greatly mirrors Hanzee's take out of the Gerhardt's. Malvo is probably some remnant of the KC Mafia. Remember that his dental practice during his hiatus was in KC and that he seems to have malice toward Tripoli (Hanzee) and the Fargo group.

I have a theory. Do we really think that Milligan completely have up his life of killing and crime after getting the office job? He probably still stroked his blood lust in other ways. One of those ways was taking on an apprentice of sorts. Enter Malvo! Malvo is a bit like Milligan with his metaphoric talk as he kills and warns people. ("There be dragons here" could have totally been a Milligan speech). Malvo is KC and Milligan's final revenge against Fargo and Hanzee.

It'd be a minor aside, but I'd like for someone to run across Simone's bones.  I'd like to see Gerhardts in S3 -- Dodd's other daughters, maybe some grandkids.  Don't have to be major characters, just a nod to S2.

I don't think we need to see Charlie again -- I think of him as kinda like Ziggy from S2 of The Wire -- someone who got in over his head.

I don't think Hanzee/Tripoli would see Charlie as unfinished business.  I'd like to see him finish his prison term -- attempted murder, first offense, he was a juvenile -- get out, and look up Noreen. 

• Love 1

I'd love a scene where the batshit cray cray Peggy shows up in Lou's diner and they continue their last conversation.  It would be a phenomenal scene if Molly were to somehow end up in Peggy's beautician chair, and come to a slow awareness of who she was.

Would Peggy be out by 2008? A lot of cops died, and she was the only one standing to take the fall for any of it. Screw it, let's begin fancasting a 50-something Peggy. Patricia Clarkson (55)?

Edited by Eyes High

Would Peggy be out by 2008? A lot of cops died, and she was the only one standing to take the fall for any of it. Screw it, let's begin fancasting a 50-something Peggy. Patricia Clarkson (55)?

I think she would plead down to manslaughter.  I don't think they can hang any part of the massacre on her since she was forced to participate in it.  She may get consideration due to the fact that the idiot cops put her in harms way.  I'd guess she'd serve 5 years if she was evaluated as "mentally competent".

Did we ever actually see Tripoli die?  I know Malvo killed everyone in the building, but I don't recall if we saw proof Tripoli died.  I guess I have to rewatch! 

Edited by ChipBach

I think she would plead down to manslaughter.  I don't think they can hang any part of the massacre on her since she was forced to participate in it.  She may get consideration due to the fact that the idiot cops put her in harms way.  I'd guess she'd serve 5 years if she was evaluated as "mentally competent".

Did we ever actually see Tripoli die?  I know Malvo killed everyone in the building, but I don't recall if we saw proof Tripoli died.  I guess I have to rewatch! 

I guess it depends on whether Peggy could get pinned with felony murder charges for any of the deaths that occurred when they were fleeing from the cops--although those wouldn't apply to the deaths during the massacre itself, since they were already in custody at that point--and also on whether she'd be determined to be competent. Peggy might get a lot of mileage out of being a beautiful blonde and playing the victim. (Karla Homolka. Just saying.)

I assumed Tripoli died, and I doubt Malvo would have exited the building without cutting off the head of the snake, so to speak, but I'm not sure if Season 1 ever confirmed it. You'd think that if there were any survivors that that information would have been made clear. I also thought from the speech from Hanzee's contact about Hanzee building an empire only for that empire to be destroyed in turn was a hint from the writers that Hanzee would meet the same fate as the Gerhardts.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

Would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see what Karl ends up doing. In the small amount of screen time (way too small, if you ask me) he got, Nick Offerman just killed it. 

He's probably dead by the year S3 is supposed to be set in, but perhaps in a later season -- or even a spin-off, a la Better Call Saul???

• Love 1

I don't know if the cast has been announced but it would be dynamite if Jerry Lundegaard and Marge Gunderson return, and the plot centers around Lundegaard again, with some new lowlife problem. If the new season is set shortly after the time in season 1, William H Macy and Frances McDormand would look the right age (the movie was set in 1987). Guaranteed huge ratings.

Edited by riverclown

IRL, her mental illness would likely be a lot worse 40 years later--assuming there were organic causes and/or that she didn't ever get appropriate therapy. Maybe a nearly catatonic (perhaps due to Valium-type medications) Peggy would hold a clue to something important.

Or, I know it doesn't sound Hollywood attractive, but it would be very realistic to show her 50 lbs. overweight from taking anti-psychotics.

Or maybe she served her time and is now teaching Yoga and Self-Actualization.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1