Type keyword(s) to search

Fargo Future Season Speculation: There May Be Snow

Ohwell
  • Start Topic

I really enjoyed this series. I was wondering if the next series could be the mysterious case in Sioux Falls that haunts Lou. Not sure how it would tie back to Fargo, though, unless they use the Fargo branch of the FBI, like they did this season. Gotta keep the name, doncha know.

I suspect that if/when we see a second season, we will still have Molly in the "Maggie" role with her new little family, the new case will revolve around another bumpkin Lester Nygaard/Jerry Lindegaard who gets in WAAAAY over his head with out of town evildoers, and somehow we will see the cursed bag of Jerry Lindegaard money return again. 

Just like in this season, the supermarket king and his money were not central to any of the principal plots involving Lester or Molly, but the money (and the red ice scraper) were a linear tie to the movie.  I think we'll see them again.

• Love 1
Whom do you not want to come back? I'm confused.

I meant that if the series is renewed, I don't want to see Molly again.  (Yes, Malvo is dead but even he might come back ad the devil, and I wouldn't want to see that either.)  My main point is that I don't want to see the same crew of Molly/Gus/Greta/Lou again.   I thought Molly was annoying and the others were nice, but boring. 

I meant that if the series is renewed, I don't want to see Molly again.  (Yes, Malvo is dead but even he might come back ad the devil, and I wouldn't want to see that either.)  My main point is that I don't want to see the same crew of Molly/Gus/Greta/Lou again.   I thought Molly was annoying and the others were nice, but boring. 

Mileage definitely does vary because I do want to see Molly, Gus. Greta and Lou again. I thought Molly was a smart and tenacious officer who tried to do the best job she could. Keith Carradine was great as Lou and I was never once bored by his scenes. That one with Malvo had me holding my breath, I was so scared for Lou and anyone else who might come into the diner just then. The scene of him and Greta on the porch was sweet and it was nice to see how they had bonded to become a family. Gus started out a little blah as a character but I quickly grew to like him when they put him and Molly together trying to solve the murders. I would love to see more of him and Molly as new parents and see how he supports her in her new job as Chief.

• Love 2

For me the strength of the film was that the crimes took place in the midst of good people, ordinary but really good and solid people. It was the contrast woven together that made the film special. The miniseries -- especially at the beginning -- had less of the good ordinary folk, most of it rested on Mollie's shoulders. But it built. I believe that would always be important in any Fargo miniseries, that play of dark against light. It is hard to build the light, though, when you want to hook your audience on the thrills and chills of the dark. That is a major reason why I would like the now-established family of Mollie to continue. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'd also like to see them back, but don't know how that would work. Solving regular crimes is pretty much taken care of on so many other shows. And how many psychos would we believe just happened to end up in Bemidji.

Aw, jeez, I just don't know. Showrunner, do some good thinking and figure out a way to keep this series going with Molly, Lou, Greta, and  Gus.

Edited by Catherinewriter
  • Love 1

There will likely be some overlap with this thread and the Media thread, but it seems like a lot of the post-finale posts in the Media thread were looking for a "Fargo Season 2 Speculation" thread. So here we go.

The general casting possibilities seem to be:

1. Some or all of the same cast playing different characters.

2. New cast in new roles.

3. Some of the same cast playing the same characters.

Hawley has been pretty explicit that it won't be a continuation of the Molly/Gus/etc story. For example, in this interview with Alan Sepinwall:

As someone who in the past has written for ongoing series that were designed to continue for years, what was it like to do something this close-ended? Could you have set this up as the ongoing story of Molly Solverson, or would that have just watered it down too much?

Noah Hawley: I think you could have. Obviously, if you have the skill and the actors and you're telling a story that is free to digress, certainly "Mad Men" has been navigating without a traditional road map for all those years. Some of it works better for some people than others, but there's still a firm hand guiding it. But at the same time, the fact that this was designed as a close-ended story allowed me to plan it out from beginning to end. The first scene of the first episode is the first step toward the end, and everything that happens is a concrete step in that direction, and I'm able to kill off characters, or make huge dramatic moves like Lester framing his brother for murder. All of that is a step because I know where the end is. It gets a lot harder when you don't know where you're going, or you know where you're going, but you're not exactly sure how you'll get there. My fear when I spoke to FX the first time, "I said that if we turn this into a TV series where it's the continuing adventures of Molly or Marge or whoever, ultimately, it's going to feel like 'Picket Fences,' where it's just quirky and cute, and no one can ever really change, and small-town decency versus evil, no one's ever going to believe that there are real stakes.

I posted this in the Media thread earlier.

If renewed, as Noah Hawley claims, I hope it's like the American Horror Story anthology. Actors return but playing different characters in different situations and setttings. I think this season was well wrapped up and am looking forward to a new storyline. 

I was a little dubious about a second season with a different cast, but this news makes me extremely excited--brilliant idea, going back to Lou's case. Now I can't wait for season 2!

• Love 2

I realize that Lorne Malvo was not a part of the Sioux Falls crime spree.  However, it would be entirely awesome if TPTB figure out a way to show a vignette or two of a 20-30 something Malvo stirring "stuff" up wherever he may have been.   Perhaps even a side arc showing Malvo's "development" as a criminal - and his mentor, if any! 

(edited)

I think we all got spoiled by the great BBT.  While I'm thrilled that Fargo will return, I'm sure going to miss his incredible portrayal of such an evil, fascinating character. Introducing a young Lou will help me (a little) adjust to the lack of repeat characters in Season II.

Wed. night I caught the Key & Peele show.  Now I know why so many Fargo fans were going on about how much they loved these two guys. I'd never seen them before the episode where they played FBI agents fighting in the car over fast food (I was totally bewildered by it all) as a massacre was taking place across the street. Can't wait to watch their show again - they are too hilarious, creative and wonderful!

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 2

If they do cast Joel Kinnaman as Young Lou, then I'm definitely in.

Is there anything concrete about Joel Kinnaman for Fargo? I had to stop watching The Killing early in season 2 even though I adored his character.
I think we all got spoiled by the great BBT.

He was great but for me, this show was so great because BBT wasn't the reason to watch.  And I don't mean that in a bad way.  He was used just enough.  His omnipotent villain didn't take over the series.  The show didn't seem to create crazy unnecessary scenes for him to be in just to give him more to do.  He played the catalyst perfectly. 

Keith Carradine, Allison Tomlan and Martin Freeman were equally as responsible for me wanting to watch as Billy Bob.  And Key & Peele, and even Kate Walsh's brief appearances.  It was just well done overall which is why, while I'll miss these characters and performances, I'm excited to see what is created for the next season--which is too far away. 

Is there anything concrete about Joel Kinnaman for Fargo?

The show is probably 6-7 months away from the beginning of production. I would be surprised if we got casting info this far in advance.  I do think he'd be great, however. 

So, are we going to see the Nygaard brothers as kids?

Unlikely.  The show is going to take place in Sioux Falls, SD and Luverne, MN, which is 30 miles from SF.  The last season took place in Bemidji, which is where the Nygaards grew up, and is about 300 miles away from Luverne. But you never know.  If he wants to connect the seasons, he could have the characters play a cameo.  Duluth wasn't exactly close to Bemidji either.

• Love 1

Press release for more cast: looks like it's going to be Patrick Wilson who will play a young Lou.  Ted Danson is going to be his father in-law, and Jean Smart is the matriarch of a crime family.  Interesting choices.

Also got some big names for the guest characters: both Jeffery Donovan and Nick Offerman have been officially confirmed, and Brad Garrett and Kieran Culkin are also going to be appearing.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

Gotta say, I'm kind of freaking out about season 2. My hometown, Luverne, is the setting (along with Sioux Falls, 25 miles to the west in South Dakota). You can't even imagine how tickled people are even though absolutely zero filming is scheduled to happen there. It's going to be a lot of fun to watch...with some hope that we don't get made fun of for being too backwards. I was born in 1977 and the story is set in 1979, whenever a toddler is on screen I'm just going to pretend that it's me back in the day.

[And you watched Ken Burns's series on WWII, The War, you have already seen Luverne there--it was one of the four towns in which the experiences of the war were told. Kind of wild that a town of 4,000 in the middle of the prairie has had these two pretty significant film/TV pieces within the last ten years!]

• Love 5

‘Fargo’ filming expected to cause traffic delays in northeast Calgary

CALGARY – Drivers may find some routes in the city’s northeast more congested than usual on Wednesday [February 25] as dozens of well-known stars begin filming scenes for the television show Fargo.… Cast and crew will be in the area of McKnight Boulevard and Edmonton Trail N.E. from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. on Wednesday.

The show was being filmed in Kensington on Tuesday, and had previously been shot in the community of Inglewood.

returndates.com/news.php?id=697 has "around fall 2015."

I know...that's why I'm confused.  Last spring or early summer, I believe I read that the next season for Fargo would be in April 2015 so here I've been, joyfully awaiting my next Fargo fix in April.  Bad enough that Downton Abbey is over with for the year...now I have to wait until fall for Fargo.  Not good...not good at all. Grump!

• Love 1

The link Rhetorica posted above says:

The second season of Fargo is slated to begin production on Monday, [January 19, 2015,] with the 10-episode anthology miniseries expected to premiere in the fall.

Shooting only started nine weeks ago.

Edited to add this tidbit from the article:

“It’s a big sprawling, in some ways, more comedic [season], though at times, a very serious show. It’s set in the late ’70s against the backdrop of Ronald Reagan’s first campaign for President of the United States. Reagan is a character in it.”

After the panel, Landgraf confided to EW that Fargo will actually be casting the role of Reagan, not using archival footage. “Reagan will be interacting with our characters,” he said, noting that the role has not yet been cast.

Edited by editorgrrl

Geek lord Bruce Campbell has been cast as Republican demigod Ronald Reagan in the upcoming second season of the FX drama Fargo.

Man...  Corporate liberal media bias doesn't give an inch.

Edited by ChipBach

Did Dodd survive a prolonged cattle prod to the heart?  FWIW, not really a spoiler, but just in case:

IMDb lists Jeffrey Donovan for 6 episodes, while other characters are listed for 10

.  But that could just be to throw us off.

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 2

So it looks like they have set up episode eight to be a race to Sioux Falls for both mob crews to retrieve Dodd.

I'm guessing they get there at the same time and all hell breaks loose.

I don't think it matters if Dodd is alive or dead either.

The Gerhardts will race there for revenge, the KC crew will race there to get Dodd even if he is dead.

Plus, I wouldn't put it past Ed to bluff, by saying Dodd is still alive.

• Love 1

So it looks like they have set up episode eight to be a race to Sioux Falls for both mob crews to retrieve Dodd.

I'm guessing they get there at the same time and all hell breaks loose.

I don't think it matters if Dodd is alive or dead either.

The Gerhardts will race there for revenge, the KC crew will race there to get Dodd even if he is dead.

Plus, I wouldn't put it past Ed to bluff, by saying Dodd is still alive.

The split-screen montage suggests Dodd is dead along with Rye and Simone.  In Bear's mind (it's his vision after all).  Charlie in prison is as good as dead.

Pat's quote to Mike:  "Don't be offended if I don't say "Hello" before I shoot you..."  implies that he [Pat] will be the one who kills Mike similar to the scene in season I where Gus killed Malvo.  Does that make Pat season II's "Gus" and Mike "Malvo"?  Hmm. 

The split-screen montage suggests Dodd is dead along with Rye and Simone.  In Bear's mind (it's his vision after all).  Charlie in prison is as good as dead.

Pat's quote to Mike:  "Don't be offended if I don't say "Hello" before I shoot you..."  implies that he [Pat] will be the one who kills Mike similar to the scene in season I where Gus killed Malvo.  Does that make Pat season II's "Gus" and Mike "Malvo"?  Hmm. 

yes and the camera zoom as he said it is pretty much a dead giveaway that he will kill him. Unless this show is smart enough to use that as a fake out and someone else will get Milligan. 

I feel like every character will die in the end. The whole Gerhardt family will be eradicated as well as much of the KC Mob. of course we know Lou survives, but everyone else could very well die. I really hope Ed and Peggy don't survive, that would just be a tad too much.

Could have been a throw-away line but maybe not -- in the first or second episode, we learn that Dodd has more than one daughter.  Bear says something about Dodd's "girls" and how he should worry about "them", and Bear will worry about Charlie.  

So -- older or younger than Simone?  How many?  Will we see them this season? 

We also saw two young boys running up the stairs in the Gerhardt house.  Neither was Charlie.  How many kids are around that place anyway? 

Well, my sister insists that the true mind-blowing reveal will be that Ed really was a hitman who ended up settling in Luverne and playing "dumb" and being the put-upon husband.

If Simone can/may still be alive, and tornadic fish can fly, why not Ed being a retired cold-blooded "butcher?"  

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes

Well, my sister insists that the true mind-blowing reveal will be that Ted really was a hitman who ended up settling in Luverne and playing "dumb" and being the put-upon husband.

If Simone can/may still be alive, and tornadic fish can fly, why not Ed being a retired cold-blooded "butcher?"  

That would be a great twist. Jesse Plemons has played cold, calculating characters before.

I would also accept Ed ending the season as a hardened criminal hitman with a fearsome reputation, the man who started a mob war, the man who killed Rye Gerhardt, the man who killed a hitman with a cleaver to the head, the man who held Dodd Gerhardt hostage...They call him "the Butcher of Luverne."

I mean, Ed's probably doomed, but calling up Mike to offer him Dodd on a platter was a baller move.

Edited by Eyes High

Can't get on board with Ed as a retired/undercover hitman -- he was too excited about buying the butcher shop.  If he was accustomed to killing, he wouldn't have been so nervous when Lou came to the shop, and he wouldn't have been so anxious to leave after he killed Vince.

But becoming a hit man?  I don't know -- maybe Mike will offer him a job in KC -- or they'll go to California together, Ed, Peggy, and Mike. 

• Love 1

Well, my sister insists that the true mind-blowing reveal will be that Ed really was a hitman who ended up settling in Luverne and playing "dumb" and being the put-upon husband.

Since we're talking wild fan theories, when Ed called himself 'the butcher of Luvern', I wondered if it was at all possible that we were watching Malvo's origin story.

• Love 1