Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: Que Sera Sera

I think the title of the episode, "Que Sera Sera", is a pretty big hint as to what the season finale will hold, and where this show might be going in general. Like the song goes...

"Que será, será
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que será, será
What will be, will be"

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

So it's like an interactive program that keeps perfecting itself based on their input.

The most obvious ultimate solution to the puzzle is that it's AI. 

The fact all roads led to its Creator (beginning with his physician) is a decent hint, imo.

Dueling Creators!  Hmmmm. 

• Love 2

I thought this was a good finale. It wrapped up a lot of things, but opened a door for a lot of new storylines next season. And things were on a positive note for all, which I think is nice to see. Too many shows try to end with angsty cliffhangers.

I'm also glad they established right away that Henry wasn't behind the God account and moved on from that. I assume they will get back to trying to find out who's behind it eventually though.

Really interested in the new woman who got friended by God, and what her role will be next season.

• Love 8

The most important thing for me was that TGA retain severability from whatever Henry and Simon conjured up using ones and zeros.  Check.

Will Pria be buried near Jim Morrison?  😞  So...how do the computer whiz troika live with themselves by failing to save any number of others due to their selfish and fearful infighting?  If they had stuck together, how many Erica's would still be breathing?

Given how impulsive Rev. Finer is, it appears the voters made an excellent decision.   It's Bishop or nothing?  Really?  Again - how much good did he continue to do while collared?  What situations will he not now be involved in through the entree of being a religious?   For a man so unsure of so much, he sure seems sure.  Ugh.

Rakesh as director of R&D, because a failed CEO gave him the job on his way out da door?  Laughable.  No way a new CEO would want to put his own person in that role.  Riiiiight?  Ay yi yi.

Why is it so great that Simon funded FreeVerse as a middle man for Miles' ambitions?  If ever a dude could/should blaze his own path, it's Miles.

Interesting twist at the end with the female Asian version of Miles.  Her overcoat game is on point, I'll give her that.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Given how impulsive Rev. Finer is, it appears the voters made an excellent decision.   It's Bishop or nothing?  Really?  Again - how much good did he continue to do while collared?  What situations will he not now be involved in through the entree of being a religious?   For a man so unsure of so much, he sure seems sure.  Ugh.

I was okay-ish with Rev Finer's moving on, but, yeah, it would have been improved by, say, having the new young pastor come to him, offer condolences on not getting the Bishop gig, and then talking about how he didn't know where he was going next since Rev Finer would not be leaving -- maybe throw in a revelation about the young pastor needing to support his widowed mother with Alzheimer's, -- maybe heap on having just gotten a bagger job at Whole Foods, -- maybe add how he knows the parish doesn't have money for a permanent assistant pastor. Then Dad Finer could go meditate by a fountain or something, and come back and tell the young guy he could stay 'cause it was time for the senior pastor to retire and start his next act. Or maybe the young pastor would be part time bagger and part time pastor, and Rev Finer would be part time pastor and part time retired. 

But all of that would have filled the finale.

24 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Rakesh as director of R&D, because a failed CEO gave him the job on his way out da door?  Laughable.  No way a new CEO would want to put his own person in that role.  Riiiiight?  Ay yi yi.

No part of Rakesh-the-hacker working there has ever been believable, so I just blinked past it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Why is it so great that Simon funded FreeVerse as a middle man for Miles' ambitions?  If ever a dude could/should blaze his own path, it's Miles.

Interesting twist at the end with the female Asian version of Miles.  Her overcoat game is on point, I'll give her that.

In complete agreement with you on all counts.  So many things to go WTF about in this episode.  The only things I'm happy about are that the God account is still a mystery and that there are more avenues for plot lines next season what with the new twist of the woman at the end that approached Miles.  I wonder if she will provide (yet again) another obstacle to threaten Miles' and Cara's relationship.  With the way this show works I wouldn't doubt that could happen.

I think it was just sloppy and lazy writing to get Rakesh and Miles back their old gigs via Simon.  Totally unrealistic and not believable in the least.

Does the God account actually make them run into people all the time?  Like Miles and then Cara just happening to see Pria, then the cab driver just happening to be in the cab right behind Pria when Miles flagged him down?  Because it seems like these highly improbable coincidences are becoming more prevalent in their little universe all the time.  The fact that none of them ever address that issue seems unbelievable too.  How can a code go beyond just predicting that things will happen into making them happen?  I am wondering when all of this will dawn on them and they start realizing some things as a result.  At least the computer experts should know what the code can and can't do.  They just talk about the God account in general, but no one has sat down and discussed whether it's possible for the Juliet code or anything based on it to do all that the God account does.  I'm hoping that this will become a topic next season.  I know Miles is all Zen right now about not caring who's behind the God account, and that's probably a good thing for him right now, but I'm thinking that there will be events next season to bring him back to that question again somehow, this time perhaps with a different conclusion.

I totally agree about Arthur stepping down as priest of the church.  How much could he have wanted to be Bishop if he decides so soon after losing the vote that it's time to leave?  It seems like a decision based on not wanting to face the congregation having failed more than what he really wants.

I had that exact same thought about how many people could have been helped if the trio didn't have their seemingly pointless falling out.  The basis of that still feels a little shaky and unbelievable to me especially how it was followed up on in this episode.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 1

I don’t care if this show has so many coincidences and what the hell moments- I still love it. It was nice seeing a show wrap up with happy storylines and an intriguing cliffhanger, and I lost count how many times I teared up. The cast continue to make this show for me, and I loved how they kept running into people they’ve helped in the past. 

Miles’s dad retiring made sense after his conversation with Miles. He was sad he lost because he realized he wanted to step down as priest, not for losing the chance on becoming bishop. 

Don't mess up Miles and Cara next season! 

• Love 12

I'll start out with the couple of things I didn't like, because I did like most of it. -- It's still dumb that Simon Hayes/Whateverthecompany'snameis didn't have some type of backup for his big project, and that he has to start (almost) from scratch.

And number two: Arthur suddenly deciding that he doesn't want to be in the clergy anymore. In addition to the fact that I think the show will lose some story possibilities by taking him away from the church, it just came out of nowhere, and feels out of character.

So it looks like we're (mostly?) done -for now- with finding out who is behind the God Account. I'm okay with that, since it was never an important part of the show for me (and clearly a macguffin). I really liked the ending twist that the God account has other helpers/messengers/agents. I think it's a good way to expand their scope a bit.

I don't have a problem with Arthur and Trish getting engaged, but I wish we'd seen more of their relationship before this. I hope the producers will secure the actress to be a regular; because I'd hate for them to break up because the actress' availability. (I've seen this happen too many times.)

I thought it was interesting that this was the first(?) time Miles just directly asked the God Account for help. But I can understand that they wouldn't want to use that device too often on the show.

Liked the callbacks and guest characters that returned. Speaking of, aw man! Cara's going to miss the taxi driver's daughter's wedding!

Do we have a name for the trio of Simon/Pria/Henry? I'm glad we got some additional insight on Henry Chase from Henry Chase himself, and that Miles and co. were able to bring them together again. The scene at the synagogue was really touching! I assume we're mostly done with the Trio, but I assume they will show up the next time they need a deus ex machina.

It was really convenient, but I still liked that there were happy endings all around. Cara will be away for a while, but she and Miles are in a good place and on the same page.

However, a few things were iffy. If Simon was going to give Rakesh a job/project, it shouldn't have been at IdentitySeal. And Miles is back on FreeVerse, but isn't IdentitySeal still suing them? And the team from Palo Alto is still screwed now that the project they were working on was destroyed, so they moved to NY for nothing?

Nitpicks aside, I'm looking forward to season 2!

Forgot my weekly shout-out to the costume/wardrobe departments for all the fabulous clothes to look at! Awesome jackets as per usual, but also Pria's dress, and Cara's on-the-nose beret.

Interview with showrunners Lilien and Wynbrandt about the finale and teases for next season: https://tvline.com/2019/04/14/god-friended-me-recap-season-1-finale-miles-cara/

TVLINE | Everything is going seemingly great in Miles’ life: He and Cara pretty much admitted they love each other, his relationship with his dad is better than ever, he’s got his podcast back. What could he possibly need help with that the God account would send someone his way?

STEVEN LILIEN | [Laughs] It’s true, we have those series of events, and Miles is feeling really amazing in that last moment when he’s walking down the street. Things are all working, and then this character — we call her Joy — comes up and sort of changes everything. So I think the question is twofold: This is the second friend that God has now, and has Joy been sent Miles’ name because he needs help? Or is that Miles needs to help her and show her what he does? And those two aren’t mutually exclusive, per se, but I think it’s not just one thing that Miles is going to be trying to figure out, in terms of why Joy has been chosen by the God account.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Trini said:

don't have a problem with Arthur and Trish getting engaged, but I wish we'd seen more of their relationship before this. I hope the producers will secure the actress to be a regular; because I'd hate for them to break up because the actress' availability. (I've seen this happen too many times.)

Reading this makes me wonder if Cara going to Paris "for 6 months" could become forever if Violett Beane gets a more lucrative gig.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Do we have a name for the trio of Simon/Pria/Henry?

Now that you mention it, everyone seems to refer to Miles, Cara, and Rakesh as just "you guys."

Edited by shapeshifter
4 hours ago, Trini said:

Forgot my weekly shout-out to the costume/wardrobe departments for all the fabulous clothes to look at! Awesome jackets as per usual, but also Pria's dress, and Cara's on-the-nose beret.

Cara's work friend was wearing a great dress too. 

I love the casting of Derek Luke as Henry. I wasn't expecting it but I really dig it.

Couldn't Miles go visit Cara? I lived in Paris for six months and my family visited me (once). Also, phones and email exist; they weren't going to be out of touch forever. But I like that they love each other.

Cool twist at the end!

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Trini said:

And number two: Arthur suddenly deciding that he doesn't want to be in the clergy anymore. In addition to the fact that I think the show will lose some story possibilities by taking him away from the church, it just came out of nowhere, and feels out of character.

I don't have a problem with Arthur and Trish getting engaged, but I wish we'd seen more of their relationship before this. I hope the producers will secure the actress to be a regular; because I'd hate for them to break up because the actress' availability. (I've seen this happen too many times.)

However, a few things were iffy. If Simon was going to give Rakesh a job/project, it shouldn't have been at IdentitySeal. And Miles is back on FreeVerse, but isn't IdentitySeal still suing them? And the team from Palo Alto is still screwed now that the project they were working on was destroyed, so they moved to NY for nothing?

I totally agree that Arthur leaving the church came out of nowhere. I thought (given how he met Trish and that he clearly enjoys playing with a band) he was going to announce that he wanted to start/become a part of a music ministry so he could touch more lives. I feel like that would allow for more storyline possibilities.

I figured Arthur was going to propose to Trish after the father-son scene in the church. But I could swear that Trish has referred to herself as "a single mom raising two children"? So, why haven't the kids been in any scenes and wouldn't she have to talk to them before accepting Arthur's proposal??

I totally agree about Miles and Rakesh's FreeVerse and IdentitySeal issues getting resolved through Simon's actions. With Miles, it's a stretch. With Rakesh, there's no way IdentitySeal people would or should ever trust him again given everything he's done. He needs to start over with a project/company not associated with IdentitySeal. 

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Really interested in the new woman who got friended by God, and what her role will be next season.

As long as her role is NOT as a part of a love triangle while Cara's gone I'm interested too. 🙂

• Love 3
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Reading this makes me wonder if Cara going to Paris "for 6 months" could become forever if Violett Beane gets a more lucrative gig.

I doubt it; she's the second lead here. I don't think she would leave.

• Love 2

Well, the way they wrapped everything up with a cute bow on top made me wonder if they wrote this without knowing if they get renewed or not hence goodbye to any efforts of realism. And then the lady in the amazing red coat (of course!)  made me wonder if she's now God's new bestie for season 2. But this is not Doctor Who. Still - why does Miles need help? He seems to be in  a very good place. Nice cliffhanger, show. You made me cry and smile, covet great coats and sweaters and turned out to be much better than I expected! Looking forward to your return!

• Love 7

This is such a sweet show that I don't care about the discrepancies.  I am usually a curmudgeon and hate shows like this, but I find myself smiling throughout the entire show. I'm really looking forward to the new season.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Trini said:

I forgot to comment on this part earlier. I thought it seemed a bit soon, but as you said, we didn't see a ton of their relationship so don't really have much to base that on. 

Edited by KaveDweller

I knew right away the girl who came up to Miles would be someone important, she has the same amazing coat game that Cara has! 

I dont really care about the logistics of this show (they've always been kind of nonsense) I just care about the story itself, of disparate people connecting with each other, people of different beliefs coming together, and just seeing the ways Miles and company, with assistants from the God Account, can help random people. 

Nice seeing some of the past characters come back, I still think that at some point, maybe for a series finale, Miles will need help, and all the people he has helped will all show up to do something for him. Its too bad that Cara will miss the Taxi drivers daughters wedding! 

I also dont mind not finding out exactly who or what is running the God Account. To me, its an interesting background mystery, but I prefer the show keeps it ambiguous. Like Miles, it doesent really matter to me anymore, as long as they keep helping people. 

Arthur guesting on the podcast was such a great way to come full circle from the pilot where Miles was talking about how he and his dad had trouble even talking to each other over dinner on his podcast. Should be interesting to see where he goes now, with a new fiance and without his church. 

Hope that Miles and Cara can make the long distance thing work! Loved this show, and I am really going to miss it during the break. I need to find another way to get my happy story/cute wardrobe fix!

• Love 5

In keeping with all the parallels on this show, I liked how the three programmers turned out to be one woman and two men, or one white person, one black and one Indian...just like Cara, Miles and Rakesh. 

• Love 7

Well all I have to do is nitpick a little about this show and suddenly I'm a negative Nancy. 😏

I love this show too but I have to admit it's getting more and more "out there" with the coincidences to the point that I personally can't just accept them on faith without question.  I don't want to have to check my mind at the door just to believe in something that meets a deep need, because to me that is not real faith.  It has been said many times that there is always a little bit of doubt and questioning involved in healthy faith. 

That said, I think that in the next season even if Miles is not actively looking for it, stuff will happen to bring him back to the question about who is behind the God account or what exactly the God Account is.  If Henry isn't behind it and has no idea who is, that means it could be anything and not even related to the Juliet code whatsoever.  And yes, it could still be God.

I mentioned last week that what Simon Hayes said about how his program not only predicted the future, but could change it is probably true about the God account too.  Henry Chase wanted to know how the God Account could ever change the past and then met a girl that was similar to his sister in that she would have drowned but in her case was saved by Simon's Juliet code based program.  So it was like the past (his past) is healed by way of healing the present.  And that's a deep lesson, I think.

I also think that if the God Account is capable of changing the present by way of making very sophisticated connections and associations between people and places, thus prompting the people at the other end to do its legwork, that is one thing, but how all those coincidences happen to throw people together is still a fair question, and one that might be answered in a sci-fi kind of way in which the program is somehow making those things happen.  I still think it's a very deep thing with a synergy between the program and the people at the receiving end that generates some strange coincidences.  I still haven't figured out how, though.  Maybe I'll be able to get somewhere with this hypothesis next season.

I think they're going for the idea that letting go of a goal sometimes is what brings you in touch with what you really want or your real destination.  Just going on the journey wherever it leads you.  Miles not caring who is behind the God account might actually bring him closer to who actually IS behind it.  Arthur being willing to let go of his present path will make him open to a new one (and I'm sure it will present itself now that he's open to it).

I watched this episode right after it aired on my DVR.  Right after I saw the scene where Miles and Cara were in Washington Square Park right in front of my best friend's NYU office building, she called me.  She had just watched the episode but didn't even notice the building, LOL.  

I don't know why they made that girl swim in the Hudson.  While it's nowhere near as dirty as it once was, it's still not really recommended to swim in it as it has strong currents and other potential safety issues, and is still not really done by all but a few individualists.  But yeah, suspension of disbelief.

Edited by Yeah No
On 4/15/2019 at 4:53 AM, Empress1 said:

Couldn't Miles go visit Cara?

Miles does a podcast -- there's no reason he can't move to Paris, too, and do his podcast from there.  Or at least, do a few "special trips" -- a week or so, interspersed through the 6 months -- and do podcasts then.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Miles does a podcast -- there's no reason he can't move to Paris, too, and do his podcast from there.  Or at least, do a few "special trips" -- a week or so, interspersed through the 6 months -- and do podcasts then.

I believe he still does his whatever job (customer service?) at the security company* in addition to the podcast so he couldn't just up and leave for six months, but he could still visit. I mean, shit - his girlfriend (I know they haven't said it, but that's what she is) is in Paris! He should be breaking his back to visit. Paris is amazing!

*(There was a shot of him and Rakesh laughing at work a few episodes ago, which is totally the only reason I think he still works there. He's NEVER there.)

• Love 1
On 4/15/2019 at 2:07 AM, Trini said:

Liked the callbacks and guest characters that returned. Speaking of, aw man! Cara's going to miss the taxi driver's daughter's wedding!

Cara could come visit and attend the wedding.  Airfare isn't cheap, but it would be doable.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:53 AM, Empress1 said:

Couldn't Miles go visit Cara? I lived in Paris for six months and my family visited me (once).

Exactly!  If Cara visited once, and Miles visited once, and they skyped, messengered, and kept in touch all the ways that are possible, it could work.

55 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I believe he still does his whatever job (customer service?) at the security company* in addition to the podcast so he couldn't just up and leave for six months, but he could still visit. I mean, his girlfriend (I know they haven't said it, but that's what she is) is in Paris! He should be breaking his back to visit. Paris is amazing!

Paris is amazing, but how sad that Notre Dame burned. 😢

12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't know why they made that girl swim in the Hudson.  While it's nowhere near as dirty as it once was, it's still not really recommended to swim in it as it has strong currents and other potential safety issues, and is still not really done by all but a few individualists.  But yeah, suspension of disbelief.

This! Plus, wasn't there snow on the ground? Wouldn't the Hudson have been too cold a few weeks ago?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Paris is amazing, but how sad that Notre Dame burned. 😢

It would interesting if they managed to work this into some dialog next season.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

This! Plus, wasn't there snow on the ground? Wouldn't the Hudson have been too cold a few weeks ago?

I missed that that's where she was swimming.  It is probably too cold to swim in the Hudson now, let alone a few weeks ago. I would say that maybe this show is on another timeline where it is summer, but Cara was wearing a coat and what looked like a knit beret.

2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I missed that that's where she was swimming.  It is probably too cold to swim in the Hudson now, let alone a few weeks ago. I would say that maybe this show is on another timeline where it is summer, but Cara was wearing a coat and what looked like a knit beret.

The girl's mother said it happened "a month ago".  A month ago from snow on the ground would still be too cold to swim.  She said her daughter was swimming in the "Hudson River Basin".  I took a look online and that covers a rather large system of waterways above New York City extending even into New England states.  To say she went swimming there is even less specific than saying you swam in the Great Lakes without specifying which one.

• Useful 1
On 4/16/2019 at 12:28 AM, Yeah No said:

I still think it's a very deep thing with a synergy between the program and the people at the receiving end that generates some strange coincidences. 

Because I'm paranoid I just presume it is all tracking through Facebook, the phones' GPS and facial recognition on cameras* all over the city.  The algorithm connected the people together and told Miles where to go because the GPS  (and possibly cameras linked) told the algorithm this is where they are at that moment.  

*(I once read a book about some dystopian future where the major governments had gotten together and shared all the facial recognition they had and could basically follow any person along any path and it freaked me out.  Later I was walking home from work and I realized that there was maybe 1 block in the 1/2 mile I walked where I wasn't potentially on a camera between banks, outside of a retirement home, outside a hospital, and grocery store, etc...)

5 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Because I'm paranoid I just presume it is all tracking through Facebook, the phones' GPS and facial recognition on cameras* all over the city.  The algorithm connected the people together and told Miles where to go because the GPS  (and possibly cameras linked) told the algorithm this is where they are at that moment.  

*(I once read a book about some dystopian future where the major governments had gotten together and shared all the facial recognition they had and could basically follow any person along any path and it freaked me out.  Later I was walking home from work and I realized that there was maybe 1 block in the 1/2 mile I walked where I wasn't potentially on a camera between banks, outside of a retirement home, outside a hospital, and grocery store, etc...)

I agree with you, a lot of the friend suggestions could be based on connecting stuff like that, but a lot of the run-ins and coincidences seem to be purely by happenstance.  Like how is it that the cab driver from a few episodes ago just happens to be right behind Pria's limo.?  Even if the program could predict that they would be near each other, how is it that they actually just happen to be there?  And how is it that the girl that was saved by Simon's program just happens to be bat mitzvah'd in the synagogue where the Rabbi is the same woman Miles interviewed in the first episode of the show?  Sometimes they run into just the people they want to find by accident without knowing where to find them.  Stuff like that.  I can see a program predicting where and when they might cross paths but how often does that stuff actually happen all by itself? - It seems too convenient.  I feel like these things go beyond what can be explained by any program no matter how sophisticated.  I can see this stuff happening once in a while, but it's happening all the time with them.  Right now it's a mystery, and might always be.

• Love 2
On 4/17/2019 at 8:03 PM, Trini said:

'Robby Hull Upped To EP & Co-Showrunner For Season 2'

------

Three showrunners? Sounds to me like one of them will leave sooner than later.

Lilien and Wynbrandt have been working together for over a decade, so I imagine they'll stick it out together. Hull has been around in the business for more than a decade longer than Lilien and Wynbrandt (they all worked together on Gotham and Alcatraz in the past), so I bet the network just felt more comfortable with a veteran helping them out (there might very well have been some speed bumps in the first season from a production point of view). 

As for the finale, a few thoughts...

• My damned radiator once again acted up and it caused me to tear up in the scene where Henry and Simon discovered that their code helped save Erica Katz's life.
  • Athur's whole speech made less than no sense. "Being a man of the cloth has been the great calling of my life, but I am ready to be just a man again. Ready to be just a father. And more than that, ready to be just a husband." Dude, you were ALREADY a man, father (and, before your wife died), a husband. Also, how in the world do you want to be a BISHOP in the Church and when that doesn't work out, you just QUIT the Church? How does that remotely make any sense? 
  • Derek Luke's soul patch was weird.
  • Yes, Simon's parting "gifts" to Miles and Rakesh also didn't make much sense. They should have just gone The Simpsons route and said "A wizard fixed everything with Miles and Rakesh's jobs."
  • Still, the concept is so charming and the leads are so darned charismatic that it is still a really enjoyable show. 
  • Oh, and the end twist was very clever. The new friend of God looks interesting, as well. Great minor cliffhanger for next season (and nice use of "Boom Clap").
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

So am I the only one who immediately thought at the twist reveal, that it was similar to how Joan of Arcadia's first season ended with the arrival of the Devil?

I think it was the red coat that triggered that thought.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Ghost Bear said:

So am I the only one who immediately thought at the twist reveal, that it was similar to how Joan of Arcadia's first season ended with the arrival of the Devil?

I think it was the red coat that triggered that thought.

Nice callback! That was the second season's end bit, though, no? I sort of recall it as that show's sort of last minute Hail Mary to get renewed ("Hey, look, Season 3 will have Satan!") that fell a few yards of the end zone. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:
  • Athur's whole speech made less than no sense. "Being a man of the cloth has been the great calling of my life, but I am ready to be just a man again. Ready to be just a father. And more than that, ready to be just a husband." Dude, you were ALREADY a man, father (and, before your wife died), a husband. Also, how in the world do you want to be a BISHOP in the Church and when that doesn't work out, you just QUIT the Church? How does that remotely make any sense? 

I know!  I think we're supposed to believe that Miles' conversation with him at that upstate diner and in the car suddenly made Arthur realize that what he wanted was not to be a priest anymore.  I think it was when Arthur recounted his story about how he made a decision in his past to be with his wife it made him realize he was at a similar pivotal point in his life and that perhaps he should take another chance and make a similar change.  So we're supposed to see how far Miles has come that he can now give wise advice to his father, and his father accepts it, or something like that.

But yeah, I'm not buying it.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think we're supposed to believe that Miles' conversation with him at that upstate diner and in the car suddenly made Arthur realize that what he wanted was not to be a priest anymore.  I think it was when Arthur recounted his story about how he made a decision in his past to be with his wife it made him realize he was at a similar pivotal point in his life and that perhaps he should take another chance and make a similar change. 

I mean, just getting married would have been a big enough change. Completely leaving the ministry kinda went too far.

8 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Oh, and the end twist was very clever. The new friend of God looks interesting, as well. Great minor cliffhanger for next season (and nice use of "Boom Clap").

They used this in the pilot, right? I'm not sure. And I can't check.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Nice callback! That was the second season's end bit, though, no? I sort of recall it as that show's sort of last minute Hail Mary to get renewed ("Hey, look, Season 3 will have Satan!") that fell a few yards of the end zone. 

Huh, you might be right. It's been ages since I've seen JoA, but that last scene really stuck out, even still. It caused a lot of interesting discussion in the Bear household. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I know!  I think we're supposed to believe that Miles' conversation with him at that upstate diner and in the car suddenly made Arthur realize that what he wanted was not to be a priest anymore.  I think it was when Arthur recounted his story about how he made a decision in his past to be with his wife it made him realize he was at a similar pivotal point in his life and that perhaps he should take another chance and make a similar change.  So we're supposed to see how far Miles has come that he can now give wise advice to his father, and his father accepts it, or something like that.

But yeah, I'm not buying it.

I'm not either. It still feels very random or like he didn't get the Bishop so he quit. Neither which seems like Arthur. Although I did like seeing him joining Miles in his podcast. It was great to see how far the two have come. But that scene of Arthur at the podcast would have been so much better if he was still a priest.

Miles and Rakesh getting their jobs fixed seemed random too. It didn't really make any sense.

I love that Cara has a cellphone that matches her top. I still love all her clothes. 

I love that they keep showing us past people they've helped. Its really great to see them again and how their doing.

• Love 1
On 4/17/2019 at 12:25 PM, joanne3482 said:

Heh, whenever I'm in a restroom stall, I have to remind myself that 1) it's illegal to put cameras in restrooms, and 2) nobody wants to see a 65-year-old woman without her clothes on.
15+ years ago my then-college sophomore daughter was posting on an anarchy message board, and we used to joke about how if the fibbies were listening to us on our cell phones they would be bored to sleep.

Anyway, WRT the show, I think tracking through tech plus AI becoming cognizant plus an element of the unexplained is a likely direction for the God Account.

• Love 1
On 4/16/2019 at 9:52 AM, Empress1 said:

I believe he still does his whatever job (customer service?) at the security company* in addition to the podcast so he couldn't just up and leave for six months

Yeah, I'm not sure that he works there any more (in as much as he ever did!).  Simon certainly didn't mention it, although that was probably due to time constraints.

• Love 1

TPTB see Arthur's leaving the priesthood as a part of a "high" for that character per the @Trini link above.  Not good.

It certainly makes life easier for showrunners who cannot stand being hemmed in.

The remarks as to the nature of TGA are no more sanguine to my eyes, either.

This show has a real chance to engender serious discussions about the deepest human considerations.  Alas, it appears to aspire to just be good TV.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm not either. It still feels very random or like he didn't get the Bishop so he quit. Neither which seems like Arthur. Although I did like seeing him joining Miles in his podcast. It was great to see how far the two have come. But that scene of Arthur at the podcast would have been so much better if he was still a priest.

Yeah, the scene with Arthur on the podcast was great, but it really WOULD be more powerful if he was still a reverend. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Brian Cronin said:

Yeah, the scene with Arthur on the podcast was great, but it really WOULD be more powerful if he was still a reverend. 

As a 30+ year reverend, he still has a certain gravitas/credibility.
I'm wondering if they had Arthur take off his collar in order to appeal to a broader audience.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

But that scene of Arthur at the podcast would have been so much better if he was still a priest.

1 hour ago, Brian Cronin said:

57 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm wondering if they had Arthur take off his collar in order to appeal to a broader audience.

Maybe his next calling will be to start his own podcast touching on faith and religious topics.  He and Miles can have "dueling podcasts", lol.

Regarding ex-priests, I know a former Catholic priest and have learned that you can take the priest out of the church but you can never really take the church out of the priest.

Maybe.....just maybe.....He'll go to work for the God Account.  Everybody into the act!

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Heh, whenever I'm in a restroom stall, I have to remind myself that 1) it's illegal to put cameras in restrooms, and 2) nobody wants to see a 65-year-old woman without her clothes on.

Oh, I wouldn't be too sure about that.  There are sickos out there that would!  Here in my upscale low crime area there have been a few separate incidents where cameras were found in restrooms in Starbucks and other public establishments.  Thankfully the sickos were all caught.  Shockingly, this does not appear to be uncommon these days all over the country, if you google on it.  Sorry to be so depressing on our "feel good" show board!  😞 

Edited by Yeah No
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I love that Cara has a cellphone that matches her top. I still love all her clothes. 

Miles' sister's clothes have been amazing too.  That Zara blouse she wore in this episode that looked like an abstract designer scarf was beautiful.  I found it here on eBay for only $24.00 (Zara is inexpensive) but I'm a large these days.

This site will tell you where their clothing comes from and the cost.  That chevron turtleneck Cara wore a few episodes ago is (as we suspected) about $450.00.

Our favorite magenta leather jacket was by Alice + Olivia at about $1,000.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/6/2019 at 8:12 PM, mythoughtis said:

I agree. The entire Henry Chase-Simon-Pria subplot is so over the top and actually takes away from the show.   I’d be happy if they would focus on the weekly God account stories, Cara’s reporting them, Rajesh helping to research them, Arthur and Miles relationship and their different faiths, their families etc.  

Personally, I think they should have taken some of that programmer screen time and given it to Trish...I like the character, I think she seems nice and like she and Arthur could make a good couple. But we know next to nothing about her, except she owns a music store. Was she previously married? Does she have any kids? etc. Give the poor lady some backstory!

• Love 4

Like Miles and then Cara just happening to see Pria, then the cab driver just happening to be in the cab right behind Pria when Miles flagged him down? 

Talk about fantasy. Miles flags down a NY cab and scores the very first time. (But even at that, the driver drove right past him until he registered that the fare was Miles.)

You get fired from a high-tech firm. Not only are you only instructed to leave your badge with security, you're then allowed to waltz right into the place and confront the boss who fired you.

I liked the ending. I know it's too much to ask for next season to be about an entirely different cast handling the god account. 

Simon was like the Wizard of Oz, doling out gifts for the three main characters.

• Love 4
On 4/18/2019 at 11:06 PM, shapeshifter said:

Watching over the last few episodes, I realized that what Arthur said on he and Miles' little road trip upstate about how once you figure out what you want, things have a way of working themselves out might be a prophetic statement showing us that taking off that collar and saying he wanted to just be a man and dedicate himself to his relationship, etc. will be just like it was when he did that with his wife decades earlier, and a new job offer will come along after that just as he was offered the position at Harlem Episcopal decades earlier.  Plus a friend of mine pointed out that taking off the collar doesn't mean he's still not a priest.

• Love 2
(edited)

One of my theories is that the writers just didn't want to have to be bogged down with the details of being a reverend and church organization.

Edited by Trini
curses! typos quoted again!
  • Love 3
On 5/15/2019 at 1:50 AM, Trini said:

One of my theories is that the writers just didn't want to have to booged down with the details of being a reverend and church organization.

And/or they think his character would be more interesting and more central to the plot if he's freer to pursue endeavors outside the priesthood.  If he gets a job offer it will probably not be another position in a priestly capacity.

Also, I'm still not buying that Simon would have taken his program off of the secure servers in Palo Alto without first having a copy transferred to a secret location for safekeeping.   It just doesn't make sense to me that he would have put it on his laptop with no backup knowing that Pria was trying to destroy it.  Why would he think putting it on the laptop was enough?  It still makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  Yeah, I know, I love this show anyway.

• Love 3

Finished watching this season a few days ago. Overall, I like it enough to keep watching. Mostly cause I was interested in who was behind the God account. The S1 cliff-hanger was good enough for me to get me to tune into next season. Had a couple questions though.

First, what are Miles' window treatments where he does his podcast? Do they serve any purpose? I can't figure them out haha.

Second, do all NYC'ers always dress like that? It seems they're always in business casual clothes, never anything casual (t-shirts, etc.) or hats. It's been a while since I've been to the city haha.

Also find it funny that Miles' and his guests use (I'm guessing) bluetooth headphones. When you see Sports Talk simulcast on TV they're always connected in. There's a reason for that, quality.

• Love 2