Type keyword(s) to search

NOS4A2 - General Discussion

javaluvr
  • Start Topic

I am ambiguous about this show.  It started pretty good but the characters are starting to annoy.  And I hate the high pitched noise that starts when Vic  is having an ‘episode’.  And what happened to the cop, one of the few nice people.   And dad is such a lame pos.  And and and.........

how many episodes are there?

i am looking forward to the new season of The Terror.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

LOL I wondered what happened to this thread. Thought maybe it was eliminated because the show is just that bad.

Actually, it's not horrible, it's just not what I expected. The teen angst is tedious and makes the show feel like something that should be airing on the CW. 

Also, while the Charlie Manx character is far and away the most interesting thing about the show, I have to criticize Zachary Quinto's performance as the aged version. The voice he's using sounds very cartoonish, like someone doing a comic impression of what an "old" person sounds like. There's no physiological reason why his voice would sound like that given how it sounds at his real age. He sounds like Tim Conway doing his "old man" voice on the Carol Burnett show.

This last episode was a real snoozer. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I don’t understand what causes the aging/youth of Charlie Manx. Initially, I thought he derived his youth from the children. When he kidnapped Daniel he begin to look younger as the boy’s appearance changed to a vampire.But in the last episode, he started getting younger as soon as the car’s engine started. He wasn’t even in the car yet.

Vic is so annoying. There is no way I can believe two guys have a thing for someone that unappealing.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, laprin said:

I don’t understand what causes the aging/youth of Charlie Manx. Initially, I thought he derived his youth from the children. When he kidnapped Daniel he begin to look younger as the boy’s appearance changed to a vampire.But in the last episode, he started getting younger as soon as the car’s engine started. He wasn’t even in the car yet.

I think Charlie Manx's immorality is tied to the car and his youth is sucked out of the children. If the car is destroyed, he is done for.

I don't understand how this is supposed to work either . . . and I'm not sure the writers do. If he is "stealing" youth from the children he kidnaps, how long does it last before he starts to age again? He was his aged self when he kidnapped Daniel. What the hell does the car have to do with it? Is the car giving him to power to steal youth? And if the car isn't functioning he ages again? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

‘NOS4A2’ Renewed For Season 2 By AMC

AMC’s NOS4A2 is coming back for a second go-round. Ahead of its season one finale, AMC has renewed the supernatural horror series for a 10-episode second season. Cast members Zachary Quinto and Ashley Cummings, showrunner and executive producer Jami O’Brien and executive producer Joe Hill shared news of the renewal during the show’s Comic-Con debut today in San Diego.

The renewal comes amid strong ratings for NOS4A2, which currently ranks as a Top 20 cable drama and the #2 new basic cable drama among adults 25-54 and 18-49 in Nielsen Live +3. Season 2 will go into production this fall for premiere on AMC in 2020.

• Useful 1
10 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

Cast members Zachary Quinto and Ashley Cummings, showrunner and executive producer Jami O’Brien and executive producer Joe Hill shared news of the renewal during the show’s Comic-Con debut today in San Diego.

I was kind of hoping Charlie Manx would be dead.

• Love 2

Did she forget she had a cast and was on crutches, or was she flying too high to notice?

I am guessing that everybody in the bar was an inscape. Was it also filled with evil characters from the Stephen King novels?

• Love 1
(edited)

AMC’s NOS4A2 is coming back for a second go-round.

I'm not.

I understand that it's based on a book (right?) but regardless, it has completely over-estimated my interested in both Vic and Maggie and all their personal issues. The only interesting scene in this entire episode was the strange bar filled with (what I presume to be) supernatural serial killers. The rest of it was a bunch of teenage drama worthy of a CW show. 

I GET IT. Vic's mom doesn't want her going to college. I GET IT. Vic's dad is a drunk. So what? Why is that interesting? I know way more about Vic's dysfunctional family than I do about Charlie Manx and he's literally the only thing I care about. 

So, why were all those other (presumably) killers so afraid of Manx they got up and ran out at the very sight of him? Thus far he hasn't demonstrated any particular ability to harm anyone outside of his car. If he needs someone like Bing Partridge to do his dirty work he can't be all that powerful.

Edited by iMonrey
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

So, why were all those other (presumably) killers so afraid of Manx they got up and ran out at the very sight of him?

They all ran out and hopped in the back of "The Wraith", Manx is going to uber them to their next victims.

• LOL 3
On 7/23/2019 at 11:20 AM, iMonrey said:

So, why were all those other (presumably) killers so afraid of Manx they got up and ran out at the very sight of him? Thus far he hasn't demonstrated any particular ability to harm anyone outside of his car. If he needs someone like Bing Partridge to do his dirty work he can't be all that powerful.

Right? It seemed like a lazy way to try to suggest Manx is soooo dangerous and scary when we haven't really seen any of that this far. Manx would probably die if you keyed his car, why the heck would Pennywise and Freddy Kruger be afraid of him? The most violent thing he's personally done was assault a bed-ridden old lady. His gaggle of kidnapped children (who are inexplicably vampires, for reasons??) are more dangerous than he is.

Well that was . . . something, I guess.

I did like that Vic fell the first time and had to really struggle to get out of the house, and Bing's transformation was fairly well done.

Possibly the worst fake pregnant belly I've seen in a while, however - it looked like a callback to Craig's shoplifting story,

• LOL 2

This could easily have been edited down to one hour. The last half hour, in particular, was pointless and boring. But then again, the show has consistently over-estimated my interest in Vic and all her angsty-angst.

The first hour wasn't terrible, except when Vic stupidly locked herself into the laundry room and failed to notice the huge gaping hole in the ceiling until the last split second. I don't know how she missed that when I noticed it almost immediately. I also don't understand why she used a table to climb up into it when the washing machine she just got finished moving across  the floor was a good foot taller. Remind me why we're supposed to be rooting for this idiot.

The thing with her eyeball turning all red and bloody every time she uses her powers is just gross. I wish they'd dropped that.

So, it looks like a reset for next season. Someone will restore the car, Manx will be restored to power, Vic will go after him some more, lather, rinse, repeat.

• Love 3

There was definitely a difference in strength, Manx picks up motorcycles and throws them, Victoria can barely do a chin-up.

If there was water in the room Vic was locked in, she should have used it. 

They could have done everything they showed in 1/3 the episodes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

How is she a few weeks pregnant? Didn't she just have her first kiss? Is this a Manx paranormal baby? Ugh.

*edit. Oh, she's just said that it was Craig's. I must have missed something. I thought they just slept, didn't do more. 

Edited by Anela
  • LOL 1

I missed something too.  I don’t remember them getting it on, but I could’ve been asleep.  

How is it that no one checks on the status of the car?  I’d be in line for the police auctions everyday. I’d ask for the car as restitution...something.

They have to speed things up next season.

• Love 1

Just finished this season.   If they cut out most of the motorcycle helmet taking offs and putting ons, they could have cut a whole friggin' episode or at least half of one.    

Overall, okay.  A little slow paced and bland, but okay. 

• Love 1

Also watching on Hulu, and just finished it.  I haven't read the book, and I'm a little divided on the series.

I think this may be one of those series that is more interesting on streaming because the mystery is not stretched out.  The hints of the supernatural and the inscapes kept me interested.  The other dimension at the bottom of the scrabble bag was simple but well-realized.  I thought Zachary Quinto was suitably creepy.  The extreme old age make-up was a bit distracting, though. 

Like other posters, I wanted to leave some of the more ordinary parts - like the family drama - behind once they got into the supernatural parts.  But the supernatural kind of peaked in the middle, and it settled back into the ordinary.  I don't have a lot of patience for characters making poor decisions (like forgery, or self-medicating, or repeating the mistakes of one's parents), and I wanted to get back to the investigation and mystery.  It's not that the component story threads were done badly, but I felt like they didn't mesh.

I will probably watch the second season after it hits streaming.  Though, I'm not anxious for infant-in-peril story lines.

Found this on my DVR while burning through the backlog during quarantine.  Based on the comments, I think it probably suited binging more than weekly watching.  It was a touch slow and I don't know that I would have bothered to keep watching if it had been off for a week.

It was okay.  But I HATED the ending. 1) I never saw evidence that Vic loved Craig as more than her best friend.  2) We didn't see them sleep together and Vic going from her first kiss with one guy to sleeping with a different guy she's kept solely as a friend for her entire life within a week or so.  What the actual fuck?  Oh, and she's pregnant and not going to school. 

Literally everything about that pissed me off.  I'm glad she got out of town, though.  That's about it

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

S02.E01: Bad Mother

Eight years on, Vic McQueen receives shocking news about Charlie Manx; Maggie consults her tiles at great risk; Bing hunts down the Wraith, but hits a roadblock; Millie Manx discovers a new aspect of Christmasland.

Airdate 06.21.2020

4 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

At least Ashleigh Cummings will be a bit more believable for her character's age now.

The focus on Millie could be interesting.

How old do you have to be to stop wanting to drive around real fast through the woods on a dirt bike.

I’m in a minority here I guess because I like the show and am glad it’s back. I had to laugh at Vic cleaning out the minibar. I was like, “Um, the Red Cross isn’t going to pay for the booze, Vic!” 😏

I look forward to seeing more of Charlie’s back story. And more about Millie.

• Love 1

No poor alcoholic would have mini bar sized bottles of alcohol. Get normal sized bottles like any other drunkard.

I thought Vic's eyes were supposed to turn all red and start bleeding every time she traveled.

• Mind Blown 1

Wow, I had a hard time finding this show on here.  Bookmarked now.

I mostly liked it.  The only part I hated was when she put the phones in the oven, scared the crap out of her kid, and then took off and left him there... ALONE.  Bad mother is right.

Wonder if her parents will be on this season.  She didn't even mention them.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, alrightythen said:

I mostly liked it.  The only part I hated was when she put the phones in the oven, scared the crap out of her kid, and then took off and left him there... ALONE.  Bad mother is right.

She should have put the oven on a timer, somebody learned their lesson the hard way.

• LOL 1

S02.E02: Good Father

Charlie Manx fights for his life; Millie Manx determines to never let the lights go out in Christmasland again; Bing receives a long awaited call; Wayne McQueen, attempting to understand his mother, walks headlong into danger.

Airdate 06.28.2020

(edited)

I liked how the ep focused on Manx's backstory how he created Christmasland and how he started going after kids.  Until this episode I had no idea Millie and Charlie were related. 

Edited by Female83

I liked the Manx backstory and didn't miss Vic and her angst at all.  Never heard of Nosferatu before.  The license plate all makes sense now LOL.  So the kids haven't had one meal in the 8 years Manx has been away?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, alrightythen said:

I liked the Manx backstory and didn't miss Vic and her angst at all.  Never heard of Nosferatu before.  The license plate all makes sense now LOL.  So the kids haven't had one meal in the 8 years Manx has been away?

You’ve never heard of Murnau’s Nosferatu? It’s a classic! Werner Herzog did a remake in 1979 starring, of course, Klaus Kinski.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Interesting to see Charlie’s back story. Did someone dying in the Wraith give it its powers? 

And if so, what kind of someone was it?  It seemed like he knew the Wraith would turn Millie, but how would he know that?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, TexasGal said:

And if so, what kind of someone was it?  It seemed like he knew the Wraith would turn Millie, but how would he know that?

Not sure, but maybe it had something to do with the psychic abilities he has (like Maggie, Vic, and Jolene, Charlie has special abilities). Just a guess!