Type keyword(s) to search

Florida Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

On PoP channel - Weds 9pm CT

Having grown up in Florida, series creator and executive producer Laura Chinn draws upon her real-life experiences in the Sunshine State for this comedy about four broke girls who are forced to take stock of their lives when their best friend moves out of their shared mobile home to start a career. Decidedly lowbrow and low-rent, the girls struggle to overcome the unfortunate cards they are dealt and find self-worth in a society that deems poor, uneducated women as valueless. Fortunately, the female foursome has a tight-knit, nonjudgmental and loving friendship to fall back upon while navigating life's endless barrage of comedic curveballs.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 1
(edited)

Is anyone watching this show?  I did not think I was going to like ......but it is really cute!

No violence, no sex, no pretentiousness, no shouting matches,  no nastiness......it is VERY different from what I normally watch.

I like the girls bonding and light hearted comedy. 

So, far the episodes are interesting and well written.

Edited by Dance4Life
  • Love 3
On 7/14/2019 at 1:30 AM, sheetmoss said:

Gawd, this show is a mixture of Cops & Shameless - but lower rent.

What really amused me, the show doesn't put FL in the  best light....and it's filmed in GA

Hahaha! I was thinking Reno 911.  Laura Chinn reminds me of Bijou Phillips.

• Love 1
On 7/14/2019 at 2:30 AM, sheetmoss said:

Gawd, this show is a mixture of Cops & Shameless - but lower rent.

What really amused me, the show doesn't put FL in the  best light....and it's filmed in GA

I found this gem late one night and it cracked me up (Florida resident here, and this has more like a Central Florida vibe like Claws).  I DVR'ed several episodes and am looking forward to catching up. 

• Love 1

My first impression was that it was just too over the top, but it's starting to grow on me.  Little things in the last couple of episodes (3 & 4):

- eating cereal out of a variety of containers like a copper-bottom revereware pan and a novelty jumbo margarita cup

- at the convenience store, deciding what size drink to get - "guess we gotta get a small" as she grabs the gallon-size plastic cup

- at the funeral, the framed newspaper article "local man eaten by alligator while hiding from police"

The scene in the 3rd episode where Jayla gets outed by the "manager" at the airport hotel while with her boyfriend was EVERYTHING. I love all of the characters.

Casting note: The actor playing Jayla's old guy boyfriend is Vanessa Williams's brother.

• Love 4
On 7/18/2019 at 1:16 PM, SoMuchTV said:

- eating cereal out of a variety of containers like a copper-bottom revereware pan and a novelty jumbo margarita cup

- at the convenience store, deciding what size drink to get - "guess we gotta get a small" as she grabs the gallon-size plastic cup

More food and drink-related tidbits in episodes 5 & 6:

- the copper-bottom pan reappeared, this time to heat up old coffee, which was then poured into a wine glass. (Still learning the names, but I think this was Jayla, who loved her "expressos")

- coming out of the mansion, shoplifter-girl (don't have that name mastered yet) eating a stolen avocado like an apple, skin and all, and not seeming at all bothered by it.

One thing seemed odd.  I watched on the POPTV site, and the first episode (#5) was definitely uncensored, but the second one was bleeped.  I would assume the bleeped versions are what they air on the network, but seems odd that the streaming versions are inconsistent.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:26 AM, Dance4Life said:

Is anyone watching this show?  I did not think I was going to like ......but it is really cute!

No violence, no sex, no pretentiousness, no shouting matches,  no nastiness......it is VERY different from what I normally watch.

LOL.  Are you still watching?  🙂

• LOL 1
25 minutes ago, Dance4Life said:

I am!  Enjoyed it very much. Laughed the entire time. Hope it gets a second season.

I just watched the last two episodes.  Can't say I laughed the entire time - some of it was cringing.  So many bad choices!  I can't believe they aren't all in prison!  I'd also like to see a 2nd season!

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I just watched the last two episodes.  Can't say I laughed the entire time - some of it was cringing.  So many bad choices!  I can't believe they aren't all in prison!  I'd also like to see a 2nd season!

Hahahahah! Yes.

It wasn’t supposed to be that type of show.

(We weren’t supposed to see consequences or how they pay their bills)

On 7/18/2019 at 8:26 AM, Dance4Life said:

I like it so far too. The music and lyrics, not so much. Girls are funny. Sad thing is, trailer trash is depicted pretty accurately...

On 7/18/2019 at 1:16 PM, SoMuchTV said:

My first impression was that it was just too over the top, but it's starting to grow on me.  Little things in the last couple of episodes (3 & 4):

- at the funeral, the framed newspaper article "local man eaten by alligator while hiding from police"

How is anyone seeing more than episode one? This just came on Direct tv where I am. 

On 7/25/2019 at 8:14 PM, SoMuchTV said:

One thing seemed odd.  I watched on the POPTV site, and the first episode (#5) was definitely uncensored, but the second one was bleeped.  I would assume the bleeped versions are what they air on the network, but seems odd that the streaming versions are inconsistent.

I have been dvr'ing repeats late at night and watching them.  The only word I have heard censored so far is Cee yoU Next Tuesday.  Lots of F bombs and shits. 

Edited by HotRats2112
spellings

I finished the season over the weekend.  LOVED the two-part finale.  I hope it comes back but if it doesn't I really enjoyed what we got.  But there is a lot of room to move so I hope it comes back.  The real question is, will they have to pay for their high level shenanigans if the show does come back?

Edited by HotRats2112
Grammerings
  • Love 2

I rewatched this show and found it funnier second time around. I get a big kick out of the second tier characters like Shelby’s mom & Debra, the liquor store clerk. I hadn’t realized until second viewing that Shelby’s boss starts the call center ended up teaching her GED class. 

I absolutely love the character Kaitlin. There’s something about the actor (Melanie Field) that steals my attention each time she’s in a scene. I’m going to have to watch other stuff she’s been in. 

Edited by 4Sibes Redux
  • Love 2

So sad they’ve decided not to bring it back. I hate the “exploring other options” and “shopping it” because that gets my hopes up and never happens to the shows I’d like to have another season or two of. 

(edited)

Aw 😞 I was looking forward to it coming back. Hopefully Hulu or Netflix picks it up. POP had so many commercials, it would be great to watch it commercial free. 

Edited by Hero
  • Love 1