Type keyword(s) to search

The Comics: Same, Yet Different

• Start Topic

I don't know.... I don't think he'd Lucille a woman. He said he wouldn't do it to Glenn "because that'd be racist" so he has some ludicrous code about killing -- but doesn't it come down to an "eenie meanie minie moe" type thing anyway? I'm leaning toward Morgan -- they might incorporate him more and more into the group in 6b and then wham: the man who first taught Rick about the ZA and saved his ass, and has now cornered the moral high ground, gone in a senseless act of brutality. They have to make it as horrifying as possible because this big bad is the baddest (up to this point).

It doesn't seem too many people will give two shits if it's Morgan. Me, I would love for the wolf to capture him on the way out, and slowly dismember him with Rick's red machete.

"See? I told you I'd kill your stupid ass".

• Love 1

Nah, I've changed my mind since I posted that. Down to 2 possibilities now. Abraham is Rick in the meeting with Negan's crew. I posted in the spoiler thread the audience would likely cheer if Morgan got whacked.

Okay, I am not positive that this is where this goes, but since the article that I am going to link to is about things that happen in the comics, I think that this is where it would go. If not, and my post should not be put here, please remove it for me.

Be forewarned this article sort of has spoilers. I say "sort of" because the episode the article talks about has already happened, but I am guessing a majority of the general viewing audience - including me - had no idea that this is what they were seeing, and so the information is spoilery, and references comic book information.

The article is titled "The Walking Dead Has Totally Fumbled Its Negan Set Up" and it explains why the author thinks so. It also has some interesting information on why the "introduction" might have happened even earlier than we thought. Link  WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!!

I think maybe the most disturbing thing to come out of this for me is that based on what's in that article, I think Darryl may never see his crossbow again... which is tragic, in my opinion. Poor Darryl, he and crossbow were together a long time. *sniff*

• Love 2

Cool. Yeah looks like that's where Dwight gets his crossbow. Daryl's gonna be so bummed when he learns what happens with it. Interesting reading the comments. Most are defending the writing. TWD still has plenty of rabid fans who think the show can do no wrong. Or maybe they work for AMC...

• Love 1

I don't read the graphic novel series myself, so I am not entirely sure of the ramifications of that being a character named Dwight, but I am assuming that he's not remotely a good guy, and that Darryl's crossbow is going to be used for all sorts of awful things. And I'll feel sorry for Darryl in that I am guessing that he's going to wish he killed those people rather than try to reason with them... And I so hoped that those two would be sorry for double crossing Darryl, too... damn.

Hmm, I'm starting to think that at this rate, Carl's current change from "if in doubt, blow them away" to giving people like Porchdick Jr. a second chance is going to come back and bite him in the butt, too. Which isn't looking good for character development on this show in the near future.

• Love 1

I think maybe the most disturbing thing to come out of this for me is that based on what's in that article, I think Darryl may never see his crossbow again... which is tragic, in my opinion. Poor Darryl, he and crossbow were together a long time. *sniff*

Is there a quota on crossbow guys? Does Dwight's introduction mean Darryl get Lucilled? Otherwise, Darryl can just get another crossbow. (Then again, he never replaced that poncho—the old softy.)

Hmm, I'm starting to think that at this rate, Carl's current change from "if in doubt, blow them away" to giving people like Porchdick Jr. a second chance is going to come back and bite him in the butt, too. Which isn't looking good for character development on this show in the near future.

Glenn told no one when Nicholas tried to kill him, and look how that turned out. I don't expect things to go much better for Carl re: Ron.

• Love 1

TV Morgan has now officially outlived his comic book self (Comic Morgan died before Carl was shot). Might not be for long if Lennie James doesn't want to stick around, but still.

Carol has was outlived her comic book self for a long time.  I'd place Morgan as more likely to meet Lucille.  Lennie James is more in demand. 

I'm ambivalent about Rick and Michonne hooking up but one thing I'm glad is different from the comics is Michonne not hooking up with every single black male character that shows up.

Also I didn't want to bring this up in detail in the main thread, but Jesus is slated to become a new right hand man type character which is pretty much exactly what Daryl has been on the TV show. I still feel like they are setting up Daryl to be the one who gets an appointment with Lucille. 1) They set up Daryl meeting a character who seems to be Dwight. 2) Daryl is the one who killed Negan's men. 3) Can there be two white studly right-hand alpha man on the show co-existing? The fans who love Daryl might be open to shifting their allegiance to Jesus if Daryl is no longer around.

Edited by Ronin Jackson
  • Love 2

In the comics, Abraham is a right hand man to Rick as well. He isn't that so much here, so maybe Jesus won't be that either. Of course, Abe is killed...

Yeah, Abraham's role has been reduced on the show, which has been a constant with the comic's right hand mans being translated to television. Call it "The Daryl Effect". So I suppose Jesus could end up facing a similar role reduction. But "The Daryl Effect" seems to be another reason that Daryl should meet Lucille, though that doesn't really mean he will. 

• Love 1

I'm ambivalent about Rick and Michonne hooking up but one thing I'm glad is different from the comics is Michonne not hooking up with every single black male character that shows up.

That is one the things I'm really grateful for because I really didn't like that part of Michonne's storyline. I wanted her to have a love interest but didn't want her to keep going from love interest to love interest. I wanted any romantic relationship she had to be long-term.

Hmmmm, I see Jesus more of Maggie's right hand man in the comic. Jesus lives at Hilltop and is seen more with Maggie, imo.

So maybe in the TV version of TWD, Glenn AND Maggie get farmed out to Hilltop?

Spinoff potential, maybe?

So maybe in the TV version of TWD, Glenn AND Maggie get farmed out to Hilltop?

Spinoff potential, maybe?

Please no. I think this series has already shown us that they are not spinoff-capable.

Also, I think that TV Eugene is weirder than the book version. I have a hard time seeing that relationship on the show.

Edited by mandolin

Do yall think the tv show is going to try putting Eugene and Rosita together? I seriously hope not (personally, I prefer Rosita + Tara but that's just me.....?)

I thought Spencer/Rosita had more of a shot in the show. They seem to be trying to figure out what to do with him. (Wouldn't mind seeing Spencer's actor in a love scene, either.)

Also, I think that TV Eugene is weirder than the book version. I have a hard time seeing that relationship on the show.

TV Eugene is weirder and funnier in the show (Daryl's "..." when Eugene said "hunky dunky" was hilariou). However, he also in my opinion has an endearing sweetness that I don't recall Comic Eugene having; I think TV Eugene's actor has that quality, and the writers are playing to it. I find it hard to believe that they'll have a relationship in the show, although they have been interacting more lately in the show, so who knows?

Can there be two white studly right-hand alpha man on the show co-existing?

I love Daryl, but he's no alpha. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

I have a question for those of you who've been keeping up to date with the comic: How does Carl deal with the loss of his eye? Is it even a plot point once the actual shock of it happening wears off? I haven't read that far yet, but now that it's happened in the TV show, I'm really curious about the fallout (if any).

I almost forgot, but I wondered a while back if they were going to put Sasha and Spencer together. Sasha is a sharpshooter like ComicAndrea, and Spencer liked her (of course, it didn't work out).

In the comic, Carl has amnesia for awhile and asks for Lori upon waking (thank GOODNESS that didn't happen on the show, heh). I just scanned few a bunch of the wikipedia entries around that time (easier than reading through the compendiums!) and Carl does pretty well. The Hilltop and Negan begin the take front and center.

• Love 1

In the comic, Carl has amnesia for awhile

Which is a good thing, since it made him forget that he had previously

played the "Carol" part in the inspiration for the "look-at-the-flowers" episode.

It's also worth noting that comic-Carl's wound was (absurdly so, at first) much more severe than show-Carl's; he had a literal hole through his head. And, he was younger.

Edited by ACW
  • Love 2

I have a question for those of you who've been keeping up to date with the comic: How does Carl deal with the loss of his eye? Is it even a plot point once the actual shock of it happening wears off? I haven't read that far yet, but now that it's happened in the TV show, I'm really curious about the fallout (if any).

I don't recall all the details, but he definitely continues to deal with the fall out of it. Most recently, I don't know if you want all the details, but his eye becomes something of a point of interest of his girlfriend.

I don't recall all the details, but he definitely continues to deal with the fall out of it. Most recently, I don't know if you want all the details, but his eye becomes something of a point of interest of his girlfriend.

I don't think it was dealt with much? Negan tells Carl that it looks cool, though. The two develop an odd friendship.

• Love 1

It's also worth noting that comic-Carl's wound was (absurdly so, at first) much more severe than show-Carl's; he had a literal hole through his head. And, he was younger.

I'm guessing the TV show has a technical expert on staff who when they showed him/her the comic panel of Comic Carl missing a chunk of his head was like "LOL no." Thus the explanation in Talking Dead where they explained that the bullet didn't actually hit Carl's eye directly but rather hit his cheek and continued on, sending bone fragments into his eye.

Negan tells Carl that it looks cool, though. The two develop an odd friendship.

"I FUCKING HATE YOUR GUTS, NEGAN. I WANT YOU DEAD...So, anyway, there's this girl that I have some conflicted feelings about, and I need your thoughts. Lemme give you some background..."

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

I don't think it was dealt with much? Negan tells Carl that it looks cool, though. The two develop an odd friendship.

Like I said, it is a point of interest with his current girlfriend. She influences to stop covering it up and sort of fetishizes it. 

Is his girlfriend one of the Skinwalkers? Because I could see her being a bit, uh, odd about that.

A friendship? I . . . wow. I guess I missed a lot by not continuing with the comic.

Thank you all for the info!

Edited by maystone

Like I said, it is a point of interest with his current girlfriend. She influences to stop covering it up and sort of fetishizes it. 

That part grossed me out a little, so I was trying to think of another example.

• Love 1

Was Maggie already moving into a leadership position in Hilltop before Glenn died, or was that something that happened later on? 

I don't think they'd kill off a pregnant woman, not a major cast member, anyway, but a part of me does wonder if they know a lot of people are expecting it to be Glenn and it will be Maggie instead. 

Was Maggie already moving into a leadership position in Hilltop before Glenn died, or was that something that happened later on? 

I don't think they'd kill off a pregnant woman, not a major cast member, anyway, but a part of me does wonder if they know a lot of people are expecting it to be Glenn and it will be Maggie instead. 

I don't think it would be a female character, but I could be wrong. A woman beaten to death by a man is a touchier image than a man being beaten to death by a man. I think a lot of people do know that Glenn is supposed to bite it in the comics, and there was even that one instance where Robert Kirkman blatantly spoiled it:

FF to the 1:20 mark:

I don't really know what the hell that was about. Maybe he spoiled it because he knew they were going to change it in the TV show? Or maybe he spoiled it because he thought if he spoiled it people would think they would change it because he spoiled it and then they won't change it? Who knows what the deal is. Other than Kirkman kind of being a tool.

• Love 1

I've seen some fan speculation that Negan will kill their child (or unborn child) but not them...I don't think I could see the show going there though.

Sarah Waynes whatever her name is made them grant Judith into the series, Steven Yeun wrote an angry letter after the 100th comic where he was upset that Glenn died, I still think that Glenn is going to meet Lucille.

Sarah Waynes whatever her name is made them grant Judith into the series, Steven Yeun wrote an angry letter after the 100th comic where he was upset that Glenn died, I still think that Glenn is going to meet Lucille.

Steven's Letter Hack was all in good fun I think. I don't understand that remark about Judith.

This would be an excellent opportunity for the show to diverge from the comics and just skip all the Negan drama by having him killed the first time they set eyes upon him. It feels like Kirkman is starting to exert more control over the TV series and it leads to stupid things like Ethan trying to kill Gregory because Negan felt their supplies were light. Why would anyone do that? You kill the leader and the settlement might fail and then you don't get anything.

• Love 1

Steven's Letter Hack was all in good fun I think. I don't understand that remark about Judith.

I agree about the letter. When SWC left the show, she made the producers promise that if she died that they baby lived.

(edited)

I really hope the Negan plotline is done differently in the show than it is in the comics, particularily as I hated the way they changed the Governor storyline as he was a villian that long overstayed his welcome, then started to get a bit of a redemption arc, then became a huge villain again, particularly by chopping off Herschel's head. I feel like if they keep the Negan plot too close to the comics, it will be too much "been there, done that," especially due to the prison attack and poor Herschel. 

I like JDM, and I think he's a good choice to play Negan, but if he ends up killing Glen, especially in the brutal way he does in the comics, then I don't know that I'll ever be able to look at him quite the same way again - even though I know it's just a character he's playing. I also would prefer they don't kill off Glen, though I don't want to see Daryl go in his place either. Both of them are at least useful. They could easily lose Father PP, and since I'm so disappointed in the Morgan storyline, I wouldn't mind him going either (though I do love Lennie James and wish they could redeem him on the show).

It would definitely shake things up if he killed a woman first, but as others have mentioned, I don't see that happening, or at least not in such a brutal way. My main thing is that I just hope they don't totally screw up the Negan plotline like they did with Governor's and I also hope Negan doesn't overstay his welcome or that they imprison and start to "convert" him to some extent they way they have in the comics (at least to the point that I've read up to so far - I am a bit behind on my reading) quite early on.

I know this show needs good villains to keep it going, as just seeing Walker plots would get pretty old pretty fast, I just hope they can find a good way to pull it off and make the villain more multi-dimensional and not so cut and dry good or evil. Give them some grey area to work with. They may have been trying to do this with the Governor, but it ended up being a pretty big fail because clearly we knew the guy was psychopants the second we saw his chained up daughter and fish tanks full of zombie heads.

Edited by Rapunzel

Re: Negan's "conversion" in the comics you allude to. I am caught up (mostly, some from the wiki pages), but I just can't figure out Negan's endgame. He's almost like the devil on Rick's shoulder, but I just don't imagine he's going to spend all the rest of his days in that basement.

I bet Nicotero is busting at the seams for the Whisperers storyline. That might be some cool, new special effects.

I really feel like they are almost trolling with Glenn being Lucille-d at this point. I can't tell if they want to fake us out and he doesn't die, or they are fake faking us out and want us to think he doesn't, but he does. 

• Love 2

I really feel like they are almost trolling with Glenn being Lucille-d at this point. I can't tell if they want to fake us out and he doesn't die, or they are fake faking us out and want us to think he doesn't, but he does.

I have no clue what they are doing. I think he's still the likeliest candidate, but between the dumpster fakeout and Glenn killing his first humans, Glenn being Lucilled won't have the same impact.
  • Love 1

I think Heath is going to get Lucille now. He's no longer Denise's lover, he's no longer a Michonne tease. While I was going with Morgan earlier, Heath no longer has any purpose. He killed his first person tonight, and Carol and Maggie have killed a few. I don't think that they'll get rid of pregnant Maggie or now in a relationship Carol. I don't remember who Tobien was, but it was better than Carol trying to get with Lori+Rick.

I think Heath is going to get Lucille now. He's no longer Denise's lover, he's no longer a Michonne tease. While I was going with Morgan earlier, Heath no longer has any purpose. He killed his first person tonight, and Carol and Maggie have killed a few. I don't think that they'll get rid of pregnant Maggie or now in a relationship Carol. I don't remember who Tobien was, but it was better than Carol trying to get with Lori+Rick.

Going strictly off the comics, Heath is one of the few characters that's "safe," although I agree that could change if Heath's actor is unavailable due to his 24 commitments.

Heath getting Lucilled would not have nearly the same impact as Glenn. Heath is a fairly recent character who's a bit of a cipher compared to the main group. I doubt Team Rick or the audience really cares all that much what happens to him. Glenn on the other hand is one of the Atlanta Five, Maggie's husband, Enid's surrogate dad, a beloved and trusted friend. Glenn dying would be exquisitely devastating in a way that Heath's death wouldn't.

• Love 1

Thanks.

Just reading the quick blurbs, it reads like Rick and the group are much more on the defensive and less aggressive, whereas in the show, I wouldn't say they started the war, but they've gotten a ton of blood on their hands. I wonder if the show did this because just showing the group as weak and confused would disappoint viewers, or because they're going to try to blur the lines somewhat between Negan and the group, especially if he's staying around a while (then again I can't see JDM staying around all that long...).