Type keyword(s) to search

The Comics: Same, Yet Different

• Start Topic

Still, when I read, I kind of wonder where he's going with it. After the Whisperers, I just see the "new threat arc" coming every 10 issues or so. They meet a new group, they fight, people get killed, they win. 

I'm waiting to see if Neegan's running a long con or not, and what's up with the people on Eugene's radio. 

• Love 2
On 7/21/2017 at 6:08 PM, Nashville said:

If nothing else, that would free up the show to skate on Kirkman-free....

That could only be a good thing.

Step one:  Kill Negan and Jar Jar with one shot.

Step two:  get rid of Carl's hat and find the kid an eyepatch.

Step three:  the world is your limit.  Carry on

• Love 2

I think there are many places for the comic to go.  Once they start getting some proper vehicles in place and transport opportunities open up, we can look at how different communities have evolved and how the dead are dealt with in different locations.  Yes, I think there will be wars but also I'm interested in how they rebuild society.  Is there a sense of people belonging to countries any more or will new countries be forged?  Will they ever go to the White House?  There are mysteries do with the nature of the dead: Eugene early on was investigating why some roam and some lurk plus there were observations about how they respond to winter and how some seem to keep going lost past when they should have rotted; I don't think they'll get too deep into pseudo-science but this could be the basis of a scientific management strategy.  Also, what happens when all these dead congregate into an ultra-herd -- imagine a vast moving seam of the dead across America.   And there are all sorts of weird and wonderful enemies we could see: cannibals, doomsday cultists, militia groups, etc.  As the level of technology ramps back up, we could start to see the dead being used as spies or manipulated in a much more precise way than the whisperers managed.  I'd like to see them rebuilding a city.  And you know what, eventually, if there are 500 million or so dead in North America and maybe 50,000 survivors in total, assuming some bigger communities are out there... that's 10,000 to dispose of per person.  Which, yes, is a lot but the likes of Rick, Michonne and Maggie must already have disposed of thousands each.  Over a few decades, we dedicated, armoured and armed teams, it should be possible to drastically reduce the threat from the dead.

Beyond that, from a character point of view, I kind of want to see Negan's redemption.  I do think he and the Princess seem a perfect couple and I do think Negan will outlive Rick.  It's the Negan/Carl relationship that's fascinating to me and although we haven't seen it in play for a while, I think it will come back. 

On 10/24/2017 at 5:12 AM, gallimaufry said:

I think there are many places for the comic to go. 

Yes there are, but I wonder if they will. It seems like they've been spinning wheels since the Whisperers thread ended. Some of the issues have been decent, but I still wonder if Kirkman has a game plan ahead of the next 10 issues or so. 

2 hours ago, drodd1039 said:

I watch the show - would it be worth it to go back and start comic?

Despite what I just said, I generally enjoy the comic. It's interesting to see the differences between the book and the show. 

Edited by Superclam
On 22/07/2017 at 8:25 AM, Superclam said:

Still, when I read, I kind of wonder where he's going with it. After the Whisperers, I just see the "new threat arc" coming every 10 issues or so. They meet a new group, they fight, people get killed, they win. 

I'm waiting to see if Neegan's running a long con or not, and what's up with the people on Eugene's radio. 

Now that they are a few communitys living in a network it would be fun to add more.  The one on Eugene's radio,  and I would add a governement base with scientifics and tech who are trying to find a cure or do something.  

The dooms day arrive you are a few people surviving,  than you meet others and you form tribes,  than the network gets bigger and you have it from coast to coast. 

I find it odd for all those apocalypse show to ditch the technology when they still can use it with a little knowledge.  Like find a dam in a small village and put the power back on or just open a laptop and use it to bring back a certain level of tech in their lives.  But no... 

At least in the comics they don't use petrol anymore, still they could use more electricity and technology.  If I were with Eugene I would at least have use the existing cables and post to bring internet and phones beetween Alexandria, Hilltop and the kingdom.  Also motion detectors and cameras for the safety of the area, etc...

• Love 1

I think it would add an interesting element (and possible end game) if they discovered that someone was immune to the virus.  How would they protect this person from other tribes? Would they try to find a cure?  How would that happen?  The comics have to end at some point, this would at least give a glimmer of hope...

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MissCharlotteVale said:

I think it would add an interesting element (and possible end game) if they discovered that someone was immune to the virus.  How would they protect this person from other tribes? Would they try to find a cure?  How would that happen?  The comics have to end at some point, this would at least give a glimmer of hope...

Really?  I’d expect the discovery of an Immune to give rise not to hope, but to the most horrible dystopian future imaginable for mankind - but hey, maybe that’s just me:

• One Immune does you absolutely no good whatsoever.  Sure, it’s a somewhat positive outlook for that one person - but to the rest of humanity?  Not so much.  The Z Virus Immunity (ZVI for short) is a meaningless, random mutation - unless it can demonstrate the ability to be passed on to subsequent generations.  Otherwise any/all hope eventually dies with the Immune - who will die eventually of old age, injury, other disease, etc. - unless we’re postulating the ZVI carries with it a marked tendency towards immortality.  So - how do you determine if the ZVI is an inheritable trait?
  • In the pre-ZA days this would have meant lots of labs, lots of scientists in white lab coats, lots of research grants, lots of blood draws to put in test tubes and spin around in exciting whirly gadgets, etc.  Unfortunately, we’ve seen absolutely zero sign so far of any such facilities OR scientists of such a nature surviving this far into the ZA - not surprising, considering such labs and scientists probably constituted the absolute front lines of the human race against the Z Virus when it initially broke out, and therefore were the earliest victims to fall prey to its wily decaying charms.  So high-tech isn’t going to be an option immediately available to you.
  • So... since high-tech is out, what’s the low-tech alternative?  Why, it’s selective breeding - the same way farmers propagated desirable inheritable traits in their livestock for centuries, before high-tech came along.  Your lucky Immune gets to become (quite literally) a fucking machine for the planet; fucking every possible member of the opposite sex on the planet, with an eye for impregnation and (hopefully) Immune offspring.  The bad thing for your Immune is, s/he doesn’t get much - any? - choice in who they’re fucking, or when.  Their only saving grace might be never-ending rounds of artificial insemination. 
  • But this leads to another question: how do we know if said offspring are Immune?  The answer is both logically simple, and morally abhorrent; expose the children, and see whether or not they survive the exposure.

So, this is your “Future of Hope”:  Immunes subjected to the appropriate gender equivalent of either being attached to a seminal milking machine for eternity (reference A Boy And His Dog), or spending a quarter of their life strapped in a chair with legs splayed while engaging in meaningful congress with an unending succession of turkey basters - and that’s the BEST-case scenario.  Not to mention a constant procession of children being marched into little rooms with restrained zombies, and being told to hold their arms out.  

Not very “hopeful” at all, in my eyes; IMHO, in fact, it makes Hitler and Mengele look like Captain fucking Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans.  But to each his own.

Edited by Nashville

I notice that fans of the comic book tend to like the Negan character.  But when you read the TV show threads, there is a lot of Negan bashing going on, a lot of people really seem to dislike him.  Why do you suppose that is?

Personally, I like the comic version of Negan, and I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan does a fine job playing him.

• Love 1

I thought that the garbage dump people were an organic element of the TV show, but I wonder if their appearance is a prequel introduction of the Whisperers. Do the Whisperers start out as the GPK and through the Total War experience are transformed into the comic version of the Whisperers?

Maybe I'm giving the writers too much credit, maybe the GPK are just THAT stupid and there is no complex reason to their inclusion in the show. I mean beyond the usual shit writing we have been getting for the last several seasons.

• Love 1

I thought the Wolves might be a precursor to the Saviors, but that proved untrue. Was there ever a resolution with the Wolves? Are they still out there? Other people have mentioned that the GPK may be the Whisperers, but I've seen no proof either way. 

On 12/3/2017 at 0:51 PM, Bongo Fury said:

I thought that the garbage dump people were an organic element of the TV show, but I wonder if their appearance is a prequel introduction of the Whisperers. Do the Whisperers start out as the GPK and through the Total War experience are transformed into the comic version of the Whisperers?

This has crossed my mind, but the Whisperers have much larger numbers than the trash people.  I guess that could change, but I actually hope they're not connected.

9 minutes ago, mandolin said:

Not that I recall, but you know who is? CARL. :P

I guess you were joking, but I knew that Carl was in the comics based on discussions I've read in this forum.  However, since I've never read the comics I was just wondering if Jerry was in them, that's all.  

45 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I guess you were joking, but I knew that Carl was in the comics based on discussions I've read in this forum.  However, since I've never read the comics I was just wondering if Jerry was in them, that's all.  

Yes I was joking based on last night's stupid (imo) episode. I haven't even watched yet, just read the forums here. I don't recall Jerry in any form in Ezekiel's story in the comics.

On 11/22/2017 at 1:26 AM, rmontro said:

I notice that fans of the comic book tend to like the Negan character.  But when you read the TV show threads, there is a lot of Negan bashing going on, a lot of people really seem to dislike him.  Why do you suppose that is?

Personally, I like the comic version of Negan, and I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan does a fine job playing him.

I'll vote on the other side - I never liked Negan and wasn't looking forward to his time on the show.  I will agree that JDM does a great job with the character, I just can't get on board with those that like the Saviors plot line.

I thought we were going to get a comic book moment last night finally - when Negan and Rick were fighting I really though this was the moment 

Spoiler

When Rick slits Negans throat.

maybe that was just hopeful thinking because it moves the story line along and even sort of ends the "war" ..... but there was one moment maybe 10 seconds during the scene where I thought this is it.  Unfortunately it wasn't and at this point they've varied so far from the comics that much as I'd like it to be included who knows if we'll get that pay off ever

Wait what? They kill off Carl? CARL??? What about all the stuff with the Whisperers that he's heavily involved in??

I guess they wanted to do Andrea's death but then remembered that she's long gone on the show?

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:26 AM, rmontro said:

First off, comics as a media don't lend themselves to long drawn out bombastic monologues.  I think that is a lot of the issue with TV Negan.

I think the comic also has Negan drive story in a way that is unpredictable and keeps readers on the edge by killing off important characters.  The show is already hamstrung by being an adaptation.  But beyond that, they do themselves no favors by being timid about killing off characters because it leads to things like faking Glenn's death. 

In the case of Carl, I share the actors disappointment that it wasn't "epic".  I also am not thrilled that it happened in the middle of a half season of a 3 day war that Carl was left at home, sidelined blunting the impact by downplaying his most important relationships. 

Don't get me wrong, I hate Negan.  I think the character is a pathetic version of a psychopathic Fonzie.  But I don't think it helps that Negan was introduced by writers that can't figure out that the reason the comic character worked means that the TV character won't unless they completely deviate from the source material, fearlessly.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

First off, comics as a media don't lend themselves to long drawn out bombastic monologues.  I think that is a lot of the issue with TV Negan.

I like the Negan character, and I like Jeffrey Dean Morgan's portrayal.  But the TV show hasn't necessarily handled him and his story to best effect.  Exposing him to situations where he can be killed but not having anyone take advantage of it, for example.  I'm also become more and more disenchanted with the TV show's convoluted way of storytelling.  Adding the Fear the Walking Dead waters down the anticipation for what used to be a must see show, plus the Talking Dead show makes the whole lot look pretentious and conceited, coming off like they are convinced that they are making high art beyond critique that fans must gobble down in mindless gratitude.

• Love 4
On 12/11/2017 at 4:47 PM, mrspidey said:

Wait what? They kill off Carl? CARL??? What about all the stuff with the Whisperers that he's heavily involved in??

I guess they wanted to do Andrea's death but then remembered that she's long gone on the show?

I bet you anything that is how they introduce the whisperers.  That's who he was bit by and he's not going to die.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, kj4ever said:

I bet you anything that is how they introduce the whisperers.  That's who he was bit by and he's not going to die.

That's not a bad idea, and I would actually prefer that they do this than kill off Carl.  Even though it freaking REEKS of the Glenn under the dumpster thing.  Carl's symptoms haven't been very severe at all so far, aside from him being kinda sweaty in one scene.  Seems like other victims that we've seen have regressed more quickly.

Gimble was saying on Talking Dead that the bite will progress as we've seen bites before, not that I'd believe anything he'd say necessarily.

10 hours ago, kj4ever said:

It's been a while since I have read the comics, but wasn't there a big time jump between the fall of Negan and the introduction of the Whisperers? I remember there being a lot of world building as the separate communities built and thrived supporting and trading with each other. Narratively I don't think the story works introducing the Whisperers immediately after the Negan story. People are already complaining about the one big bad after another repetition. I think the time jump and world building is needed to change the pace of the show a little bit.

I wouldn’t mind Carl’s bite being a fake out because it’s plausible, but the actor confirmed he was fired, so Carl is dead. 

Died an ignominious death getting bit helping some rando weirdo “release souls” to honor his dead mother.  Stupid way for a major player to go.  Though Coral was reckless a lot, so it does work too. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Carl was bitten by a walker. He is dying. 

I'm pretty sure this is true. But if they pull a fake-out like they did with Glenn the first time, I will seriously rethink my watching of this show. 

Edited by Superclam
15 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I'm pretty sure this is true. But if they pull a fake-out like they did with Glenn the first time, I will seriously rethink my watching of this show. 

“Will”?  Heck, I’m rethinking it right now.  I don’t like the notion of missing Chandler’s final (live) Carl performance, but neither do I want to watch an hour-long reenactment of let’s-all-file-past-Bob-and-say-goodbye.  And anything after that is going to be little else but a sloppy mess of trying to come up with rationalizations for this shit sandwich of a plot twist.

and... I think I like what this show used to be too much to watch what it shows every sign of becoming.  So I don’t know whether or not Gimp has well and truly killed this show - but I’m thinking he may have done so as far as I’m concerned.  :(

Edited by Nashville
Addition
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

“Will”?  Heck, I’m rethinking it right now.  I don’t like the notion of missing Chandler’s final (live) Carl performance, but neither do I want to watch an hour-long reenactment of let’s-all-file-past-Bob-and-say-goodbye

The way this show works, we probably won't see Carl again until about the fifth episode after they return.

• Love 1

I don't read the comics, so I found this interview confusing.  Can anyone explain what they're referring to?  Especially this part:

EW: Tell me your reaction when showrunner Scott M. Gimple first told you about this idea of taking the time jump from the comic books and instead turning it into Carl’s deathbed vision for the future?

Andy Lincoln: I thought it was breathtaking. And it was interesting because at first in the first episode I was convinced it was maybe a double reality — one with Rick’s literally dying under the tree and another where everything is glorious. Scott took a look at me and he said, “No.” And I said, “Oh God.” And it just made me even more confused. So it’s Carl’s vision for the future? What does that mean? And then it clicked when he told me what was happening. It’s this iconic scene from the comics, but played very smartly.

More here:
http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/25/walking-dead-andrew-lincoln-chandler-riggs-honor/

I'm a little concerned that if Robert Kirkman is at odds with the show's producers, they are going to be moving further away from the comics.  I think they had kept a pretty good balance between sticking to the story and doing their own thing, for the first few seasons anyway.

12 hours ago, peach said:

I don't read the comics, so I found this interview confusing.  Can anyone explain what they're referring to?  Especially this part:

EW: Tell me your reaction when showrunner Scott M. Gimple first told you about this idea of taking the time jump from the comic books and instead turning it into Carl’s deathbed vision for the future?

Andy Lincoln: I thought it was breathtaking. And it was interesting because at first in the first episode I was convinced it was maybe a double reality — one with Rick’s literally dying under the tree and another where everything is glorious. Scott took a look at me and he said, “No.” And I said, “Oh God.” And it just made me even more confused. So it’s Carl’s vision for the future? What does that mean? And then it clicked when he told me what was happening. It’s this iconic scene from the comics, but played very smartly.

More here:
http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/25/walking-dead-andrew-lincoln-chandler-riggs-honor/

In the comics, there is a several year time jump immediately after the end of the war with the saviors where there is a bustling and growing set of communities that seem to be largely at peace.  In that world,

Spoiler

Carl seems emotionally healthier than he ever did before in the comics (closer to TV Carl) and is going to apprentice as a blacksmith, Eugene is doing planning work for Rick, Negan is a prisoner, Maggie still runs Hilltop, etc.

Gimple took what was reality for the comics universe and turned it into a utopian dream of a dying teenager so ... the show has decided that the comics aren't bleak enough anymore [insert sarcastic laugh here]

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, rab01 said:

In the comics, there is a several year time jump immediately after the end of the war with the saviors where there is a bustling and growing set of communities that seem to be largely at peace.  In that world,

Hide contents

Carl seems emotionally healthier than he ever did before in the comics (closer to TV Carl) and is going to apprentice as a blacksmith, Eugene is doing planning work for Rick, Negan is a prisoner, Maggie still runs Hilltop, etc.

Gimple took what was reality for the comics universe and turned it into a utopian dream of a dying teenager so ... the show has decided that the comics aren't bleak enough anymore [insert sarcastic laugh here]

Thank you.  So, basically, there was no reason whatsoever to do what they did.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, peach said:

Thank you.  So, basically, there was no reason whatsoever to do what they did.

Yeah.

You remember when everyone was tired of them just wandering around the forest, starving and meeting one bad dude after another?  Well then they reached Alexandria and comics readers knew that there was now a radically different type of stories to mine - the group trying to fit into a society again, strengthening an ASZ to deal with the reality of the world, meeting Hilltop and then the saviors and the kingdom, a war and then a new society at the other end. 

That could have been the guts of an interesting story but the show turned Rick into a semi-stalker of his twue wuv what's 'er name, turned our heroes into arrogant idiots, then dragged out the introduction of Negan and then made him worse than in the comics (which I would never have predicted) - all the while, playing stupid tricks with us about cliffhangers. 

The show's current management believes in brutality for its own sake and that's not only a depressing point of view, it's boring.

• Love 12

Do any of you comic readers feel so frustrated with everyone's constant talk about....when will Rick kill Negan, why didn't Rick kill Negan, I assume Rick will kill Negan in the finale, Who will kill Negan, Maybe he got a flesh wound with the bat and will die, Negan needs to die soon, etc? I can't say...Negan is not going to die!!!!! And it drives me crazy. Anyone else?

Hey, I just noticed the use of spoiler quotes. This thread says book talk. Are we not allowed to talk about what's in the comics, though? I am confused.

Edited by Lamima

Ok, i did not expect the Commonwealth to show up already. Does this mean the whole sideplot with Eugene being in radio contact with someone he doesn't know is not going to happen? Are they going to skip the Whisperer arc?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lamima said:

Hey, I just noticed the use of spoiler quotes. This thread says book talk. Are we not allowed to talk about what's in the comics, though? I am confused.

Sorry about any confusion, I just used spoiler tags because I was replying to someone who hadn't read the comics who was asking a question.  As far as I know, this board is totally free for all discussions of the comics. 
And, yes, I feel sorry for everyone who assumes that Negan is gonna die at the end of Total War.  That said, Negan has been such a failure on the Show that I think they may change their minds on keeping him around.  I'm a little frustrated not being able to say elsewhere that Negan's gonna live but I'm more frustrated with how they screwed up a perfectly good villain.

Edited by rab01
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, rab01 said:

Sorry about any confusion, I just used spoiler tags because I was replying to someone who hadn't read the comics who was asking a question.  As far as I know, this board is totally free for all discussions of the comics. 
And, yes, I feel sorry for everyone who assumes that Negan is gonna die at the end of Total War.  That said, Negan has been such a failure on the Show that I think they may change their minds on keeping him around.  I'm a little frustrated not being able to say elsewhere that Negan's gonna live but I'm more frustrated with how they screwed up a perfectly good villain.

OH good. I thought I did something bad by not using spoiler quote thing.

And they did screw up a good villain. But show loves their boy, JDM. So I don't think they'll kill him. I think they're hoping to make Simon more hated by the viewers and then they'll kill him.... likely Negan will do it to save everyone and redeem himself. Not sure that will work for the viewers though. Show is tanking the Walking Dead story.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 2

I hope they don't skip the Whisperer arc. It was decent. I've said it before: All the comic book stuff doesn't translate well to tv, but when the tv writers stray completely from the source material, the results are usually not good. Grady, anyone? I watched season 2, episode 1 today. I will always miss the early days of seeing the world itself so changed (we hardly see cardboard boxes thrown about randomly on the road anymore!) and our little group trying to figure out how to live, but the show has just gone off the rails. I think killing Negan would be a good idea actually. I did struggle with that in the comics, his living, but I don't think they'll get rid of all the Saviors since that group still exists. And as far as Maggie being leader material, I don't think they did a good transition with that either. Plus, Lauren Cohan's constant downturned mouth to enhance her accent. No.

3 hours ago, mandolin said:

I hope they don't skip the Whisperer arc. It was decent. 

Considering Carl’s not-insignificant participation in that particular GN story arc, I don’t know if they have a choice to NOT skip it.  :(

8 hours ago, Nashville said:

Considering Carl’s not-insignificant participation in that particular GN story arc, I don’t know if they have a choice to NOT skip it.  :(

True, and if they try to retrofit the story with someone else, they'll probably screw that up too.

• Love 1

I haven't really gotten that far in the comics; I'm only through the introduction of the whisperers but I don't think they'll pass up the additional chances for Nicotero to show off that the whisperers give him.  He'll develop a whole visual language to make them look like people pretending to be zombies but somehow separate from all the other IRL people pretending to be zombies that we're supposed to believe are real zombies.    

From memory, not interested enough to look it up. At the end of Total War, differences:

Alive on TV, Dead in comics:

Carol, Morgan, 

Dead on TV, Alive in the comics:

Andrea, Carl, Sophia, Herschel (I think they left him on the farm, so alive last we knew), 

Edited by Bongo Fury
On 3/19/2018 at 4:52 PM, Lamima said:

Do any of you comic readers feel so frustrated with everyone's constant talk about....when will Rick kill Negan, why didn't Rick kill Negan, I assume Rick will kill Negan in the finale, Who will kill Negan, Maybe he got a flesh wound with the bat and will die, Negan needs to die soon, etc? I can't say...Negan is not going to die!!!!! And it drives me crazy. Anyone else?

Well, they killed off Carl. They should have killed off Negan instead. They might have saved their show that way.

• Love 6

How do you guys think the show did with the head on spikes part of the comics? I think the lead up was choppy and timeline weirdness messed it up. They didn't really give enough glimpse into the Fair and the happy community way of life. Or show how Alpha captured each victim. ALso the community declaration signing...was so sad to see Tara and Gabriel sign when it should have been Rick and Maggie. 

And the victims...was pleased to see Tara and Henry as those characters and actors were a big thumb down. But they could have put Rosita and King Zeke like in the comic (though I, personally, like the switch to Tara and Henry). I suspected poor Enid would be replacing Dr Carson. ANd I wish some of that new group would have been included (like that grumpy blonde Michonne had a tete a tete with, Magna and Connie's sister or Yumiko or even Luke as his shtick is out of place in the ZA....any of them but Connie as I like her and like her with Daryl, LOL).

Edited by Lamima
3 hours ago, Lamima said:

or even Luke as his shtick is out of place in the ZA..

Well, Luke bit the dust in the comics. I'm disappointed that Tammy was the only character spiked in both the comics and the TV show.