Type keyword(s) to search

Food Wars! (Shokugeki no Soma) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/9/2020 at 8:48 PM, Terrafamilia said:

I cracked up when Alice's mom revealed her broken Japanese.

I loved when Alice was like "damn it Mom you could have at least practice".

That was easily one of my favorite tournament arcs.  Each battle brought out more of each character (which should be the point of this type of arc).  Also, I'm glad Soma didn't win (and Akira did) since it's rare for the protagonist not to win.  I like how they used him loosing to kind of kick him out of his confidence zone as it has really added to his character since that loss.  

Last little arc is the Stagiaire and I like the pairing of Soma and Ms. Secretary.  Love the return of Legume Magician and seeing his character growth from the Summer training arc.  That said, kind of confused why Soma is by himself on the second assignment since I though the Stagiaire was done in pairs.  Either way, this has been a pretty solid series.  

14 hours ago, swanpride said:

There are two rounds, the first is done in pairs the second alone. Well, unless you are the unimportant side characters, then you are joined by the hip 😜

By which you mean the two meatheads that seldom contribute, yes?

I like Soma. I don't think he's a Gary Stu. He's just a kid that will pop back up if you knock him down. Yeah, he did manage to get the hang of an infinity-starred French restaurant's soft open, but it took him five days.

Looks like Erina's father is one of too many nominees of the award for Worst Parent Ever (Anime Division). "First, I'm going to take the chair from my father through the way-too-powerful Council of Ten. Then I'm going to force my elitist views of cooking on the Academy, dissolving any and all groups in the process. And I'll show you flashbacks where my mere presence sends my dear Erina to the Sunken Place." I mean, look at her. Erina is never supposed to be shook, but her emotionally abusive father basically destroyed her.

Of course, Soma challenges one of the main thugs to a Food War, even though the guy has the deck stacked so that he always wins. And while that's going on, assholes loyal to Erina's dad arrive to tear down Soma's dorm . . .  with everyone in it. This is supposed to be a food-based anime. I'm more amused about the rising stakes than annoyed. I'm waiting to see hands get broken and tongues get scalded.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Looks like Erina's father is one of too many nominees of the award for Worst Parent Ever (Anime Division). "First, I'm going to take the chair from my father through the way-too-powerful Council of Ten. Then I'm going to force my elitist views of cooking on the Academy, dissolving any and all groups in the process. And I'll show you flashbacks where my mere presence sends my dear Erina to the Sunken Place." I mean, look at her. Erina is never supposed to be shook, but her emotionally abusive father basically destroyed her.

For once, Erina actually has a loving family that cast out the dad for how much of a scumbag he is.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Of course, Soma challenges one of the main thugs to a Food War, even though the guy has the deck stacked so that he always wins. And while that's going on, assholes loyal to Erina's dad arrive to tear down Soma's dorm . . .  with everyone in it. This is supposed to be a food-based anime. I'm more amused about the rising stakes than annoyed. I'm waiting to see hands get broken and tongues get scalded.

It's been a long time since I watched the early episodes, but the Main Character Dorm was the ONLY dorm on campus? Did I hear that right?

I'm a fan of the Absurdly Powerful Student Council trope, and like you I'm amused that this cooking school elected a fascist to run everything, and force the entire school to cook things his way or else.

Yeah, apparently it was the only dorm directly on campus which was a revelation which confused me too. My only explanation is that the other dorms are outside the campus. Which makes me wonder how they even get to lessons. I mean have you seen how big that thing is?

6 hours ago, swanpride said:

Yeah, apparently it was the only dorm directly on campus which was a revelation which confused me too. My only explanation is that the other dorms are outside the campus. Which makes me wonder how they even get to lessons. I mean have you seen how big that thing is?

. . . expensive monorail? I mean, this IS Toutski, right?

I thought I remembered Erina closing down some of the dorms at the beginning of the series, right before she threatens Bowl Soc.  It's also possible that the remaining dorms are essentially at Toutski but own their own land where Soma's dorm is merely renting the land.  

I think a lot of regular classes are basically taught in a "cooking" variant. Math because you need it for measuring, accounting aso, language because you need it for travelling and representation, chemistry because you need it to understand what happens when you combine things (honestly, the chemistry quoted in the show is well above anything I ever learned in school), biology in order to learn how to grow your own stuff properly aso.

(edited)

Anyone else keeping up? I had to scrape a little, but here's an image from the latest episode that aired on Toonami:

image.thumb.png.086558d84adede600ce139dbf2f25877.png

That is the Chanko Research Society. They lost a Food War to Central. This is what happened to them. Tied up on platforms as punishment. OVER FUCKING FOOD. It's entertaining and morbidly funny, but DAMN.

In case you haven't been keeping up: the impressive wins from the good guys is a drop in the bucket compared to all of the clubs Central defeated and disbanded. I know this is anime and Erina has already been freed from her sinister father, but this shit is getting monotonous. All this because the asshole strives for perfection at the cost of diversity. Also, he would be content to destroy the Yukahiro family restaurant because they serve "trash" . . . "trash," mind you, that gives its patrons violent foodgasms. Fuck it, just skip to the part when he gets Megumi kidnapped and tied to train tracks.

In other news, Soma teams with Eishi Tsukasa, the first seat of the Elite Ten. They almost have a private Food War, with Eishi breaking out the venison cuts. That's depressing enough, but then we get a fantasy image of him encouraging a stray deer to get on his plate. What the hell?!?

Edited by Lantern7

This show is so over the top, which is why I'm still watching.  However, I'm not really enjoying this arc very much, Azami sucks, although there has been some good moments, like Eishi and Soma.  Looking forward to next week where we get the fallout of Erina finding out that Soma is Jorichiro's son.  

20 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Soma-headed chickens covering strategic areas on Erina is possibly the most bizarre foodgasm yet.

And Erina STILL won't admit Soma's food is delicious (when it oh so obviously is)

20 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Soma-headed chickens covering strategic areas on Erina is possibly the most bizarre foodgasm yet.

That was a keeper. Right now, I'm waiting for someone to cook something so underwhelming, the taster actually finds himself/herself wearing more clothes.

Looks like Erina is coming around in that she's ready to face her father and his minions. I wonder how much more harsh things can get . . . or could have gotten.

[Scene: Aftermath of Soma/Eizen Food War]

Soma: (speaking into camera) I got a message for Central. Cooking is about personal freedom. There is no one way to cook. There shouldn't be one way to cook.

Eizen: (speaking on his cell)

Soma: We're gonna rise up and take back Totsuki from Central! And when that happens-

Eizen: Your friends are dead.

(long pause)

Soma: . . . what?

Eizen: Your friends. They're dead.

Soma: (getting shook) . . . .how?!?

Eizen: You know how my men were storming the dorm? Well, they also had guns. Your friends weren't going to back down, so measures had to be taken. Mr. Azami himself signed off on it.

Soma: Meg . . . Megumi . . . ?

Eizen: Dead. Also, the other girls, the kid with the glasses, the kid whose eyes can't be seen, those two meatheads that add nothing to the plot . . . they're all gone.

Soma: . . . Fumio?

Eizen: Hang on, I'll  check. (talking into phone) What about the old bag? Did you get her? Really? (laughing) This is priceless! (to Soma) She had a gun, but she turned it on herself when she was cornered. Guess she didn't want to be taken alive.

Soma: (tearing up) Oh my God . . .

Eizen: Yep, our mission's accomplished. (into phone) Did you secure Erina? WHAT?!? The fuck do yuo mean you shot her?!? We were supposed to take her alive! She was important to Central!!! Okay, don't panic. Just get a body bag, zip her up, and take her back to base. (to Soma) Mr. Azami had a contingency. It involves hooking up the God Tongue to an artificial intelligence. This way, we get the data we need, and his revolution against Japanese cooking can go on. But hey . . .congratulations on winning the Food War!

Soma: (whimpering)

Bumping up again. Apparently, most of the "rebels" got clapped off-camera, and now the survivors are going to compete in Extreme Group Food War ("Regime de Cuisine") in order to land seats on the Council of Ten and reverse the policy of creepy-ass leather gloves-wearing Azumi. I don't know why those trigger me. They just do. Helping to set this up is Soma's dad. If the rebels lose, not only does he shut down his restaurant, he would join Central and serve under his one-time rival Azumi.

All this . . . OVER FOOD. And the last battle between Soma and the white-haired guy was fought with bear meat as the main ingrediebt. Seriously, who eats bear? I mean, if you were a frontiersman, you probably had to whack a bear every now and then, and the warm fur was probably a better "get" than the meat. My best guess is that the difficulty of dealing with the smell of bear meat made for great drama.

• Love 1

Apparently, Japanese. If you had listened closely during the episode, it is a speciality in certain parts of Japan. It is not much different from eating old shark or elk or snakes or insects or cows (from the perspective of an Indian) or pigs (from the perspective of a lot of Arabs). And the whole matter with the special fruits being a good way to deal with the smell was very interesting. 

Poor bear, though. 

Shōji declares that he wants to stuff his face with Tsukasa's meat.

Azami shows that he is well endowed when a discharge occurs.

Soma whips it out and a geyser erupts.

This episode was ridiculously filled with innuendo. And that's saying something with this show.

Last season ended with Azumi eating his daughter's food . . . and that was so good, it triggered his ability to make people's clothes explode. Not the imaginary kind of exploding . . . literal clothing explosions. So, yeah, that was the fourth season. Can't wait to see how they up the ante.

(edited)

Anyone else following the BLUE arc? Basically, it's Soma and a few other heroes facing down underworld chefs, with Irina taking on hundreds of chefs at a time off-screen. As per this series, the shit is insane. One of the underworld chefs uses a chainsaw in cooking. Oh, and the Noir chefs first appeared wearing robes and pointed hoods. Thanks, Japan! The bit with the one Noir guy and the crossdressing assistants was extra, as was Takumi's twin brother Isami getting kidnapped to hinder him!

Additional: I forgot that last chef's name. Is "Poor Man's Escanor" too blunt?

Edited by Lantern7

Yeah, well, ages ago I more or less watched it, but that one was insane even by the standards of the show, plus, the recipes aren't as interesting anymore. Which apparently is related to the cooking expert being on maternal leave as the arc was written. It shows. 

12 hours ago, swanpride said:

Yeah, well, ages ago I more or less watched it, but that one was insane even by the standards of the show, plus, the recipes aren't as interesting anymore. Which apparently is related to the cooking expert being on maternal leave as the arc was written. It shows. 

I don’t really look for recipes. I just want to see how far they get with the foodgasms. The only thing I’ve managed to retain is that asparagus temporarily shuts off taste buds, and that makes things taste sweeter. Or something.

Soma convinced a shady guy to not kill himself. I forgot to mention that. Also, Poor Man’s Escanor’s assistants were so annoying. Lucky for them that nobody throws punches on this show.

19 hours ago, swanpride said:

That explains it. The judges still come off as "mixing honey AND mustard?! This man is insane!" before experiencing the hardest orgasm of their lives.

The Noir chefs look like typical shonen anime villains (seriously, the Clown guy was the standout for me. Then there was Esdeath being in the wrong anime).

I read ahead a little bit. Just wait until the reveal that

Spoiler

Asahi is Azumi's love child, and thus he's been obsessed with marrying his half-sister.

On 5/9/2023 at 7:44 PM, Lantern7 said:

The only thing I’ve managed to retain is that asparagus temporarily shuts off taste buds, and that makes things taste sweeter. Or something.

That wasn't asparagus, that was artichoke. 

I've been watching. Glad there's only three more episodes left. I saw lots of comments online that the last season is terrible, but it was attributed to faithfully following the final arc of the manga which was judged to be poorly written. The Noir chefs being cast as typical shonen villains when they're just cooking is ridiculous and does not translate. 

Terrible? This season is par for the course. Erina’s mom is running a tourney because she can’t eat normal food on account that she’s got the God Tongue . . . and it’s so bad for me, she takes IV drips instead of actually eating. And she’s okay with selling off her daughter to the other Big Bad if he wins. You know, except for the grandfather, I think Erica would’ve been better off raised by wolves.

Fun part: Asahi remembering the chefs that taught him . . . only for it to be revealed those were just guys whose tools he ripped off, and they’d probably hate his guts.

Is it possible to serve five types of food at once and not come out as logistical peanut butter squid?

6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Fun part: Asahi remembering the chefs that taught him . . . only for it to be revealed those were just guys whose tools he ripped off, and they’d probably hate his guts.

Yeah, that was great.

6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Is it possible to serve five types of food at once and not come out as logistical peanut butter squid?

That's probably what's gonna happen, and it would be a great full circle moment for Soma.