Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

RHoP In The Media: What's Going Down in the DMV

Recommended Posts

I thought it was interesting that Monique said in the interview that a contract was kind of like an extension of what you have. That you can have a contract but they reserve the right to reduce your role if they see fit. She basically said that she had the contract and she signed it with the intent to come back, but then she saw how the third episode aired and she said nah fam, I'm out. I figured that Bravo was pleased with the buzz she brought with the binder and got people talking about the reunion. At the worst, I thought she was going to get a Nene type deal, with her still being billed as full time but not appearing in all the episodes. 

It would have been a hard season for her for sure, seeing as how hard she went at Gizelle over the reunion. I kind of saw Wendy softening to her a bit, and also Monique softening with Wendy, so I thought there was some potential there. I still don't think it was out of pocket for Bravo to dock Monique episodes/pay as part of punishment. What did Monique expect though, she didn't go on the cast trip so that's 2 episodes right there she wouldn't be in. You knew she was in hot water with the network because the only other time she missed the cast trip was because she was pregnant, and they still gave her a scene in the episode where she was at her Newburg house, and they did call her on the phone.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

17 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

PopRoast on Youtube says Wendy was not offered a contract to return.

I've heard Wendy was offered a contract.

If Wendy was not offered a contract, that's probably best for her and her family.  Reality TV tends to tear people apart.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Whatever to Monique and her stories. They are always changing. She needs to just shut up. She released some shitty music video today too.

I didn’t mind Wendy but she’s not a big loss.

Monique should be mad at Ashley and her sick ass husband they are never held accountable for anything.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Marley said:

Whatever to Monique and her stories. They are always changing. She needs to just shut up. She released some shitty music video today too.

I didn’t mind Wendy but she’s not a big loss.

Monique should be mad at Ashley and her sick ass husband they are never held accountable for anything.

I am glad Monique is off the show. To be honest, she has no one to blame but herself.

She was one of the few housewives that was beloved and not reviled. We all wanted to see this beautiful loving wealthy black family on television succeed in living their best lives.

Even if they were gossiping about her former baby's paternity...nothing would have come of it besides the other ladies looking like assholes. Monique was stupid for no knowing how to play the game and attacking Candiass so viciously.

Also, if Monique is really hiding footage of Michael grabbing butts...shame on her. She is aiding a disgusting predator.

 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

If there's video, maybe she'll release it now that she doesn't need Ashley to film with anymore. 

If Monique & Chris are smart, it won't be released because it will prove they hid evidence and that might be a crime.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Wendy confirmed on her IG that she received a contract. I'm happy for that, but also sorry for that. I do think these shows have a way of destroying families. Not just because of the couple fighting, but because of the constant prodding of production to get a story out of you, and for the other ladies trying to get a story out of you too, for their sake. I hope it doesn't happen to the Osefo's. I think every seemingly happy couple comes on thinking they will be the exception. I agree with Monique in giving advice to Wendy to set boundaries and do what they can to protect the family. I think the show is really going to push to get Eddie's side of the family on the show now. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

This is a pro-Monique site but according to them, Monique was offered a poor contract (as is typical of Bravo when they want to get rid of someone) so she quit.

 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/27/2020 at 5:10 AM, drivethroo said:

wouldn't be surprised if Monique (and/or Michael Darby) threatened BRAVO with legal action if they aren't given a contract because of their behavior when the channel allows Nene, Porsha (multiple times) and the NJ Cast (didn't they tear up a beauty salon) to keep their jobs.

I don't even think they are the same production companies.

Monique said she didn't get paid for three episodes, but I thought if you were a full castmember you got a salary for the season, and Friends of got paid by the episodes they appeared in.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, lasu said:

Monique said she didn't get paid for three episodes, but I thought if you were a full castmember you got a salary for the season, and Friends of got paid by the episodes they appeared in.

Monique said in the "All about the Tea" video that there's a stipulation in your contract where they can change your status in the middle of you filming.

Monique's Season 5 contract was probably changed to a "Friend" contract because of the fight (hence her being docked pay) but she remained in the credits as a full castmember.  She was probably given another "Friend" contract for Season 6 but with worse terms and that plus the hotel incident and how she/Chris were depicted in the last episode were the last straw for her.  Her family doesn't need BRAVO's little check so why put yourself through all of that for a couple of coins? She has fame and a following now and doesn't need the show like the other castmembers do.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Let me just add this: I find it hilarious Buffie (formerly of Married 2 Medicine) has ANYTHING to say about Candiace crying after the way she broke down crying in episode after episode after episode, culminating with her melting down in Toya's closet because of what Dr. Jackie said about her.  She's been on social media cheering on the "Talk shit, get hit" philosophy knowing good and well she said and did nothing except look stupid after Dr. Jackie talked shit.  It's the hypocrisy and Scrappy Doo bluster for me.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, LaurelleJ said:

Wendy confirmed on her IG that she received a contract. I'm happy for that, but also sorry for that. I do think these shows have a way of destroying families. Not just because of the couple fighting, but because of the constant prodding of production to get a story out of you, and for the other ladies trying to get a story out of you too, for their sake. I hope it doesn't happen to the Osefo's. I think every seemingly happy couple comes on thinking they will be the exception. I agree with Monique in giving advice to Wendy to set boundaries and do what they can to protect the family. I think the show is really going to push to get Eddie's side of the family on the show now. 

While many housewives have gone down in flames, there are some who have enough social intelligence and skills to navigate without it ruining their lives. Many of them get out when they sense that it is turning into a toxic environment for themselves and their families.

I suspect that Wendy is smart enough to be able to navigate without damage. Heather Dubrow left and her family and marriage are intact. Eileen Davidson left BH. Carole Radziwill and Heather Thompson left. Jeanna Keogh from OC There are no doubt a few others who I can't think of in the moment.

The ones who are destroyed either need the money and/or are psychologically damaged so that they thrive on the toxicity - Tamra and VIcki from OC come to mind. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, drivethroo said:

Monique said in the "All about the Tea" video that there's a stipulation in your contract where they can change your status in the middle of you filming.

Monique's Season 5 contract was probably changed to a "Friend" contract because of the fight (hence her being docked pay) but she remained in the credits as a full castmember.  She was probably given another "Friend" contract for Season 6 but with worse terms and that plus the hotel incident and how she/Chris were depicted in the last episode were the last straw for her.  Her family doesn't need BRAVO's little check so why put yourself through all of that for a couple of coins? She has fame and a following now and doesn't need the show like the other castmembers do.

Two interesting things I learned from that interview were

1. Monique was pressed over missing the "little bravo check" she doesn't need enough to loudly complain about it and say she missed out on a lot of money.  

2. Monique had signed whatever shitty contract they sent her way.  So it wasn't that the show was so toxic and it wasn't even some desire to protect her family from some half baked rumor. 

She saw the entire season, she sat through nearly 11 hours of filming about the rumor, she saw 2 episodes of the reunion about the rumor and she still signed up for a 6th season. 

She knew damn well she had been booked into the wrong hotel and she still signed the contract.  

She was probably given a friend of contract and she still signed it.  

To me, this shows that she was desperate to be on season 6 in any capacity.  After all that, she was still thirsty for those bravo checks.  She doesn't fool me. She wants the money, attention and accolades as much as anyone on that stage.  

Also, I dont know how the bravo contracts are written but I wonder if there are consequences for "quitting" after you sign on the dotted line?  Hope bill barr has a friend who specializes in contract law.  

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, amarante said:

While many housewives have gone down in flames, there are some who have enough social intelligence and skills to navigate without it ruining their lives. Many of them get out when they sense that it is turning into a toxic environment for themselves and their families.

I suspect that Wendy is smart enough to be able to navigate without damage. Heather Dubrow left and her family and marriage are intact. Eileen Davidson left BH. Carole Radziwill and Heather Thompson left. Jeanna Keogh from OC There are no doubt a few others who I can't think of in the moment.

The ones who are destroyed either need the money and/or are psychologically damaged so that they thrive on the toxicity - Tamra and VIcki from OC come to mind. 

I agree that I think Wendy is smart enough to navigate the show, however I am still worried about the effort that will be made, even though she can handle it, the unnecessary stress at the worst is annoying. If she wants to quit teaching and sees the show as the income to replace that, then she might be more willing to put up with shenanigans, or they might push the envelope with her more because they feel like she needs the show. She has plenty to fall back on though. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

Two interesting things I learned from that interview were

1. Monique was pressed over missing the "little bravo check" she doesn't need enough to loudly complain about it and say she missed out on a lot of money.  

2. Monique had signed whatever shitty contract they sent her way.  So it wasn't that the show was so toxic and it wasn't even some desire to protect her family from some half baked rumor. 

She saw the entire season, she sat through nearly 11 hours of filming about the rumor, she saw 2 episodes of the reunion about the rumor and she still signed up for a 6th season. 

She knew damn well she had been booked into the wrong hotel and she still signed the contract.  

She was probably given a friend of contract and she still signed it.  

To me, this shows that she was desperate to be on season 6 in any capacity.  After all that, she was still thirsty for those bravo checks.  She doesn't fool me. She wants the money, attention and accolades as much as anyone on that stage.  

Also, I dont know how the bravo contracts are written but I wonder if there are consequences for "quitting" after you sign on the dotted line?  Hope bill barr has a friend who specializes in contract law.  

I am now a bit confused - did she sign a contract or not? Was she fired?

I actually am an entertainment lawyer and did talent agreements (among other things). You can't enforce a contract for personal service - e.g. you can't make somebody work. What you can do is enforce a negative injunction - i.e. you can prevent them from performing the same services for somebody else for the duration of the contract. In California, you can't have a contract for more than 7 years - that used to be relevant in the old days of the studios when studios would sign exclusive agreements for their stars but now is only relevant for recording artists. 

But I digress - I think people underestimate how valuable it is to be a housewife on Bravo. The job is really ridiculously easy as long as you are the kind of person who doesn't mind your life exposed and since many people seem to live their lives on social media, I suspect that kind of exposure is a positive instead of a negative. The base salary for housewives is excellent - there are incredible promotional benefits since all of them use their social media to promote various products and are paid well for that. All kinds of goods and services are free even when not filming. If they show up at a restaurant, they are comped because they will have a picture on social medial. Their vacations can be comped. Their plastic surgery - hair and makeup - clothing - weddings, parties are all either comped or significantly discounted. Does anyone think Wendy actually paid going rate for the Sip and See or that Robyn paid anything for her Christmas party?

  • Like 8
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, amarante said:

I am now a bit confused - did she sign a contract or not? Was she fired?

I actually am an entertainment lawyer and did talent agreements (among other things). You can't enforce a contract for personal service - e.g. you can't make somebody work. What you can do is enforce a negative injunction - i.e. you can prevent them from performing the same services for somebody else for the duration of the contract. In California, you can't have a contract for more than 7 years - that used to be relevant in the old days of the studios when studios would sign exclusive agreements for their stars but now is only relevant for recording artists. 

But I digress - I think people underestimate how valuable it is to be a housewife on Bravo. The job is really ridiculously easy as long as you are the kind of person who doesn't mind your life exposed and since many people seem to live their lives on social media, I suspect that kind of exposure is a positive instead of a negative. The base salary for housewives is excellent - there are incredible promotional benefits since all of them use their social media to promote various products and are paid well for that. All kinds of goods and services are free even when not filming. If they show up at a restaurant, they are comped because they will have a picture on social medial. Their vacations can be comped. Their plastic surgery - hair and makeup - clothing - weddings, parties are all either comped or significantly discounted. Does anyone think Wendy actually paid going rate for the Sip and See or that Robyn paid anything for her Christmas party?

So you're a great source of information.  Could bravo have put a liquidated damages clause in the contract so if monique signed the contract and quits she can be "charged" an amount?  

Id imagine that if it were possible to do that then they would have to find a number that makes some sense.  Maybe the average cost to screen and find a replacement?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Financially, Monique doesn't need the show. They won't be listing their house because she's leaving the show.  (Although I wonder if they still own the Virginia house or did they sell it to move to the Potomac house?)

Personally she needs the check because Chris is tight with his money and that BRAVO check gave her some freedom.

Since she has so many supporters now, she should be able to be an influencer and use that to fuel her sales.  She's quite personable so having a YouTube channel should work for her since she has so many YouTube bloggers showing her the way.

1 hour ago, amarante said:

I suspect that kind of exposure is a positive instead of a negative.

Except I think in Monique's case now, she probably would've had a Friend contract PLUS facing either Gigi, Charrisse, the Trainer or all 3 three next season. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

Financially, Monique doesn't need the show. They won't be listing their house because she's leaving the show.  (Although I wonder if they still own the Virginia house or did they sell it to move to the Potomac house?)

Personally she needs the check because Chris is tight with his money and that BRAVO check gave her some freedom.

Since she has so many supporters now, she should be able to be an influencer and use that to fuel her sales.  She's quite personable so having a YouTube channel should work for her since she has so many YouTube bloggers showing her the way.

Except I think in Monique's case now, she probably would've had a Friend contract PLUS facing either Gigi, Charrisse, the Trainer or all 3 three next season. 

And thats really the crux of the matter, isn't it.  At the end of the day its not her money and its not community money.  That money Chris made in the NFL is his money.  

I think its the money AND the status and attention of being on the show that monique wants.  

I shouldn't poo poo her YouTube, social media, patron but like what's her lane gonna be?  Mommy? Diss tracks?  Real housewives tea and commentary?  That field is VERY CROWDED.  Can she parlay that into something long term if she isnt on the show?  I really don't know.  Does she have the personality and wit of a funky dineva, a king of reads or an Alexander Rodgers?  Nene was much bigger than Monique and her latest foray was very poorly received.  

As someone said @amarante?  these checks are easy money if you're allright with your business being on front street.  

Making money off social media seems much harder.  

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I applaud Monique for putting her family first. I read an interview today where she said it used to be fun but now the hate is real. You could see Gizelles hatred and jealousy written on her face during the reunion. Why be in a toxic environment when you don’t have to?  Gizelle doesn’t care about putting her kids on a show and in a fake storyline. Ashley doesn’t mind defending a pervert. Candiace and her husband don’t work so they need the Bravo check. Wendy is trying to prove something to her mama. Karen is doing well with the show and Robyn too. 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

To me, this shows that she was desperate to be on season 6 in any capacity.  After all that, she was still thirsty for those bravo checks.  She doesn't fool me. She wants the money, attention and accolades as much as anyone on that stage.  

Agreed. Being on this show was everything to Monique, as it is to Karen, Kyle Richards, and others across the franchise. It gave her some independence from the controlling Chris.

If one is smart about it (NotNeNe), one can milk the opportunities for years. It appears that even slimy lowlifes like Slade Smiley and Gretchen manage to eke out a living via sponsorships and appearances long after they are no longer on the original show. I question whether Monique has the discipline to flog that particular horse. It takes work. Also, I would never take away from Chris' accomplishments (Roll Tide!), but he and Monique are not big deals in DC. This town is chock full of former presidents, Members of Congress, ambassadors, athletes, cave dwellers (old money Washingtonians) and business executives.

The reunion didn't go the way Chris wanted it to go; he's used to getting his way. So he pulled Monique (I'm convinced). Once this is all over, she's going to be furious.

  • Like 8
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, RealReality said:

So you're a great source of information.  Could bravo have put a liquidated damages clause in the contract so if monique signed the contract and quits she can be "charged" an amount?  

Id imagine that if it were possible to do that then they would have to find a number that makes some sense.  Maybe the average cost to screen and find a replacement?

 I don't want to digress since it's not on topic but as a general rule there aren't liquidated damages clauses in most contracts because the ability to tie up a performer's ability to work is pretty much of a big stick. For the most part where else are these women on reality shows going to go - and for the most part I suspect BRAVO is fine with having any members leave. I can't think of any *star* housewife who wasn't allowed to depart if they wanted to because the shows just go on with cast changes and I also think BRAVO likes or liked to show that no cast member is indispensable - that everyone is replaceable because it holds down wages and demands.

In terms of other spheres of performers there have been a few notorious cases like Farrah Fawcett, David Caruso, Valerie Harper and Katherine Heigl but all of those get negotiated out in one way or another because the cliche of it being a small town is very true.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

20 minutes ago, amarante said:

 I don't want to digress since it's not on topic but as a general rule there aren't liquidated damages clauses in most contracts because the ability to tie up a performer's ability to work is pretty much of a big stick. For the most part where else are these women on reality shows going to go - and for the most part I suspect BRAVO is fine with having any members leave. I can't think of any *star* housewife who wasn't allowed to depart if they wanted to because the shows just go on with cast changes and I also think BRAVO likes or liked to show that no cast member is indispensable - that everyone is replaceable because it holds down wages and demands.

In terms of other spheres of performers there have been a few notorious cases like Farrah Fawcett, David Caruso, Valerie Harper and Katherine Heigl but all of those get negotiated out in one way or another because the cliche of it being a small town is very true.

Thank you for this info. Monique has stated that after the altercation, she wanted to get out of her contract, but they sort of talked her out of it. Does the same apply if she tried to quit mid-season taping?

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

Thank you for this info. Monique has stated that after the altercation, she wanted to get out of her contract, but they sort of talked her out of it. Does the same apply if she tried to quit mid-season taping?

Very briefly - there really is nothing they can realistically do to make a housewife continue to work. Tinsley quit and they let her go. I am pretty sure that Tonya (or Tanya) quit Atlanta mid-season of the current season. 

I would imagine that Monique stayed because she thought she would come out with a redemption since she started spinning Candiace as being the aggressor almost immediately - way before the season started.

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, amarante said:

 I don't want to digress since it's not on topic but as a general rule there aren't liquidated damages clauses in most contracts because the ability to tie up a performer's ability to work is pretty much of a big stick. For the most part where else are these women on reality shows going to go - and for the most part I suspect BRAVO is fine with having any members leave. I can't think of any *star* housewife who wasn't allowed to depart if they wanted to because the shows just go on with cast changes and I also think BRAVO likes or liked to show that no cast member is indispensable - that everyone is replaceable because it holds down wages and demands.

In terms of other spheres of performers there have been a few notorious cases like Farrah Fawcett, David Caruso, Valerie Harper and Katherine Heigl but all of those get negotiated out in one way or another because the cliche of it being a small town is very true.

If Bravo used an injunction to keep Monique from doing her podcast I would laugh so hard I'd cry and then I'd use a Candace brand tissue square to sop up my tears.   

 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, RealReality said:

I shouldn't poo poo her YouTube, social media, patron but like what's her lane gonna be?  Mommy? Diss tracks?  Real housewives tea and commentary?  That field is VERY CROWDED.  Can she parlay that into something long term if she isnt on the show?  I really don't know.  Does she have the personality and wit of a funky dineva, a king of reads or an Alexander Rodgers?  Nene was much bigger than Monique and her latest foray was very poorly received.  

Monique is very likeable, very personable and (unfortunately) very relatable.  I think she will do quite well with a YouTube channel where she is talking about all of her ventures.  Not for Lazy Moms is a fail because the branding is off-putting and she is trying to take shortcuts to be on the level of The Read when she hasn't done The Read level work. If she does YouTube channel and mixes in Not for Lazy Moms as well as showcase her life, her kids, talks about the oils etc. I think she will do quite well.  She may have wanted to stay but I really don't think she needs the show at this point.

Nene failed with her little Reading Room ...thing...because it was haphazard, lazy, not well thought out and hasty. She should've been had connections who could've advised her on production etc. because that thing she produced looked like it was filmed on iPhone 3 by Gregg who was trying to figure out how to use the phone.  Plus, it was insincere, it was all BRAVO I DON'T NEED YO ASS, LOOK AT ME NOW with 3 random guys in a closed down restaurant and I don't see Monique doing anything like that.  

13 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

The reunion didn't go the way Chris wanted it to go; he's used to getting his way. So he pulled Monique (I'm convinced). Once this is all over, she's going to be furious.

Yes, I believe Chris is the real reason Monique left the show.

13 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I question whether Monique has the discipline to flog that particular horse. It takes work.

If Monique is disciplined enough to film RHOP, she's disciplined enough to film vlogs for her YouTube channel and I think she can do it.  I also think she needs to close down Not For Lazy Moms as a stand alone podcast and roll it into her YouTube channel as a Not For Lazy Moms segment.  There's no difference between filming RHOP and filming for her own YouTube/Instagram except with the YouTube/Instagram, SHE's in total control of her image and how much of her life she wants to share.

10 hours ago, RealReality said:

If Bravo used an injunction to keep Monique from doing her podcast I would laugh so hard I'd cry and then I'd use a Candace brand tissue square to sop up my tears. 

I wanted Monique fired from RHOP and I'm glad she's not returning because her attack on Candiace, the constant lying and the social media harassment campaign was too much for me.  However, I would not like it if BRAVO stopped her from doing her podcast or any other future endeavors.  I think it's time for everyone to move on and move forward: Monique, BRAVO and Candiace.  Move on.

The person who NEEDS to be starting a podcast is WENDY (let that be her storyline instead of Eddie's family or 4 degrees). I'm not sure if there are any political podcasts from a black female perspective. She could be interviewing people like LaTosha Brown or Stacey Abrams, who are doing so much to register people to vote, she could have episodes like what she was discussing at that event on that one episode etc. Interview the new mayor of Baltimore; he's 36 years old.  Get some congresswomen like Lauren Underwood on the line. That's who needs to be starting up a podcast, not Monique.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

The person who NEEDS to be starting a podcast is WENDY (let that be her storyline instead of Eddie's family or 4 degrees). I'm not sure if there are any political podcasts from a black female perspective. She could be interviewing people like LaTosha Brown or Stacey Abrams, who are doing so much to register people to vote, she could have episodes like what she was discussing at that event on that one episode etc. Interview the new mayor of Baltimore; he's 36 years old.  Get some congresswomen like Lauren Underwood on the line. That's who needs to be starting up a podcast, not Monique.

I'm afraid Angela Rye beat her to it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think there is a huge difference between the work required to be a housewife and the kind of work required to launch a successful venture of some kind independently. 
 

Essentially for housewives you just show up and everything is arranged by well paid production staff.  All of the promotion is handled and all of the logistics and technical stuff. You have no responsibility except showing up and being of interest while being filmed. 
 

I am not saying it is impossible but the marketplace for what Monique is offering is saturated and the amount of money needed to duplicate what Bravo is providing is enormous. If it were easy more housewives would have successful side stuff going but almost nine of them do especially when they are no longer on the show. Of course some manage to eke out a living like Gretchen and Slade but their lifestyle is nit nearly as lavish as when they were on the show and receiving the salary as well as all the promotional benefits. 
 

As an aside, the law doesn’t like to enforce stuff that prevents people from earning a living so a negative injunction is strictly construed and limited to exactly the kind of work that the contract covers. For housewives that would be reality television and nit singing or live theater or even scripted shows although that might be a gray area for television. So you can have a television actor who can’t do a series but can cut a record or perform in Broadway. In this case, Monique could do a podcast because it’s nit the tyoe of services Bravo contracted for. 

Edited by amarante
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, drivethroo said:

The person who NEEDS to be starting a podcast is WENDY (let that be her storyline instead of Eddie's family or 4 degrees). I'm not sure if there are any political podcasts from a black female perspective. She could be interviewing people like LaTosha Brown or Stacey Abrams, who are doing so much to register people to vote, she could have episodes like what she was discussing at that event on that one episode etc. Interview the new mayor of Baltimore; he's 36 years old.  Get some congresswomen like Lauren Underwood on the line. That's who needs to be starting up a podcast, not Monique.

I agree re Wendy and I think that there should be enough of an audience out there for more than just one podcast from a Black woman with knowledge of politics.  Beyond that, Wendy could also combine politics with pop culture because of her involvement with Bravo. 

I also agree that Monique should fold up shop re her podcast. First of all, her business model for the podcast never made much sense to me - events tend to cost a lot of money and trying to build a business model on ticket sales for a podcast event is... not a good way either to build revenue or build an audience for a podcast.  But I also agree she could fold it into a YouTube vlog series. Finally, I also agree that part of why RHOP was so important to Monique is that for as much as her identity is tied to being Mrs. Samuels, she also wants to have some independence from Chris, who most definitely seems controlling towards women.  At some point, they are both so controlling that I imagine there is going to be a lot more conflict in their marriage. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, drivethroo said:

Not for Lazy Moms is a fail because the branding is off-putting

Yes, it's like someone is saying there are lazy Moms. It sort of plays on a mother's worst fear: that she's not doing enough for her children, spouse, household, appearance, etc.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Ugh, I'm so tired of "influencers" and all these people flogging a product and/or working their "brand". It's just not my thing and after a while it ruins the shows. Maybe Wendy has a future as a political commentator but it's a crowded field and some times it's more about luck, timing, and who you know (this IS DC after all) than talent, skill, or education. From what I've seen, her presence on TV is good but not great and I think today you have to really stand out in some way. Also, she's not doing her credibility any favors by being a Potomac Housewife.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/29/2020 at 10:17 AM, lasu said:

I don't even think they are the same production companies.

Monique said she didn't get paid for three episodes, but I thought if you were a full castmember you got a salary for the season, and Friends of got paid by the episodes they appeared in.

I don’t know of any TV shows that pay a flat salary. All shows are per episode. That’s why you hear about the main cast of The Big Bang Theory getting $1 mil per episode. When you are demoted to friend status you are in less episodes. When Nene was on Tamron Hall’s show she said her salary was not cut. Tamron then asked her to clarify since clearly she was not happy with the contract. She said the number of episodes were cut. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, nb360 said:

Yes, it's like someone is saying there are lazy Moms. It sort of plays on a mother's worst fear: that she's not doing enough for her children, spouse, household, appearance, etc.

For a brief moment in the 80s every mothers worst fear was that their kid was going to fall down a well or eaten by a dingo. 

Those were dark times man.  

I think the branding and problems therein tell you a lot about monique and how she might be playing checkers. 

Superficially, not for lazy moms is a play on NFL.  So, superficially, it probably sounds like a good idea.  

But if you do any critical or in depth thinking you realize just how off-putting it would be.  And you'd realize that your target audience isn't an NFL wife or mom.  Thats a tiny segment of the population so the word play doesn't make any sense.  

Instead of doing any critical thinking, instead of hiring someone with a background in marketing and branding she just rushed into it and blew her opportunity on a national platform with a brand that is off-putting and doesn't make much sense for the target audience.  

And then, she had this mommy brand but didn't appear to do any podcasts about mommy topics.  The only podcast she spoke about on the show was the one about honeymoons?

And that featured Karen, who raised her kids like a decade ago and candace who had no children.  It just seemed bizarre.  

If she wanted to incorporate cast members into her podcast, why not robyn or Wendy who have kids only a little older than mo's?  Why not a podcast about motherhood from different perspectives? 

A mother like robyn who was used to having the money to have help and now has to do it all herself? 

A mother like Wendy who is always actively working and is raising three kids.  

Someone like candace who is thinking about motherhood.  What does she THINK is important about being a mom?  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I agree re Wendy and I think that there should be enough of an audience out there for more than just one podcast from a Black woman with knowledge of politics.  Beyond that, Wendy could also combine politics with pop culture because of her involvement with Bravo. 

I also agree that Monique should fold up shop re her podcast. First of all, her business model for the podcast never made much sense to me - events tend to cost a lot of money and trying to build a business model on ticket sales for a podcast event is... not a good way either to build revenue or build an audience for a podcast.  But I also agree she could fold it into a YouTube vlog series. Finally, I also agree that part of why RHOP was so important to Monique is that for as much as her identity is tied to being Mrs. Samuels, she also wants to have some independence from Chris, who most definitely seems controlling towards women.  At some point, they are both so controlling that I imagine there is going to be a lot more conflict in their marriage. 

I think we should also remember that Monique is a failed rapper. A lot of the howives that marry well tend to be failed models, actresses, etc.

The reason that this is important is that it means these women had a hunger for fame and it was out of their reach. I think in the first season, Monique came on the show with the intention of reviving her rap career and that is why we had her rapping at the reunion. She wants to be famous in her own right.

M is not the greatest rapper but the ended up being well liked on the show. This is when she probably got the idea to do her lifestyle/mommy brand.

The problem is that "not being lazy" is not a choice for most women. Before the pandemic, I woke up at 6 am, got my children ready for school, dropped them off to school, went straight to work, worked a full day, picked up my children, made them dinner, helped with school work, got them ready for bed, and then maybe had time for myself ( in which I often dozed off to begin it all again the next day).

This almost always had to be done my me because my husband travels a lot for work and I do not have any family nearby.

The schedule I had was nothing special...many women were doing what I was doing and more. This does not even include taking my kids to their extracurricular activities.

If I had Monique's options of nannies and housekeepers...I would take it in a heartbeat. I would not care if people called me lazy. I would, of course, still try to spend a lot of time with my kids but I would love the assistance.

Monique is trying to say (with her bad branding) that she does everything herself, while ignoring that having the choice of not handing off kids to "nannies and staff" is a privilege all in itself. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

The ironic thing about Monique is she doesn’t do everything herself. She’s got an assistant, nanny, hairstylist, make up artist and a housekeeper. 

The facade of perfection that she clings to must be exhausting. I’ve never seen someone self destruct so badly by just refusing to take responsibility and apologize for her unhinged behavior. She’s continuing to try to spin her narrative on her blogger tour. I’m so happy she’s gone and taking her toxic energy with her.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, charming said:

I’ve never seen someone self destruct so badly by just refusing to take responsibility and apologize for her unhinged behavior.

Do you only watch RHOP?  Because this is a recurring pattern with many HW, not to mention VPR, and many other non HW Bravo shows.  Monique isn’t the first and probably won’t be the last.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

Do you only watch RHOP?  Because this is a recurring pattern with many HW, not to mention VPR, and many other non HW Bravo shows.  Monique isn’t the first and probably won’t be the last.

I have a limited Bravo playlist but the only difference IMO is how easily this all could have been resolved for Monique.  I don't know that people were in love with Monique, but people SURELY hated Candace and multiple cast members ( all of them with the exception of Wendy) have commented that Candace can be an annoying asshole with her words.  So, it would have taken the most perfunctory and basic apology and I think most everyone on the cast would have let it go, and people who have begrudgingly supported Candace would have been happy to make Monique the plucky hero who, like Porsha, fucked up but was at least sorry about it.  Even if she had just been quiet about it and not apologized.

You're correct in that Monique isn't the first person to act this way and he won't be the last, but its still something to behold.  Like snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!  At least she married well enough to afford all the essential oils you can shake a lavender bush at so its not a complete loss!

 

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, RealReality said:

You're correct in that Monique isn't the first person to act this way and he won't be the last, but its still something to behold.  Like snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! 

Yes, and she overplayed her hand. (Then again so did other RH franchise people including Phaedra, Nene, and Vicki). The pay didn’t last so long after all... 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I searched YouTube for and SNL parody of a rap song, and Monique's (AKA Hazel) video for Drag Queen's came up.  Y'all, I only made it 40 seconds.  I'm second hand embarrassed for her, it was so cringey and cliche.  I cannot believe this is what rich people are spending their money on.  Goodness. 

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

18 minutes ago, RealReality said:

I searched YouTube for and SNL parody of a rap song, and Monique's (AKA Hazel) video for Drag Queen's came up.  Y'all, I only made it 40 seconds.  I'm second hand embarrassed for her, it was so cringey and cliche.  I cannot believe this is what rich people are spending their money on.  Goodness. 

And yet this is what you spent your time on?  I honestly don’t even understand what you were searching for?   SNL did a parody of Monique? Is that what is happening here?  

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Do you only watch RHOP?  Because this is a recurring pattern with many HW, not to mention VPR, and many other non HW Bravo shows.  Monique isn’t the first and probably won’t be the last.

Yes I watch other Housewives shows and no, I've never seen someone bungle a fight so badly.

Monique attacked Candiace for no damn reason. She refused to apologize or take any kind of accountability. Instead she came up with dozens of excuses- she blacked out, white kids didn't like her, black kids didn't like her, her Mom told her to fight, her Dad put his finger in her face, she had multiple issues in boxes on the shelf, there were affair rumors, it didn't have anything to do with affair rumors, Candiace asked to get dragged, crying to her pastor Candiace didn't deserve to get dragged...like MY GOD. 

She ran to the blogs and said Candiace threw a drink in her face, bragged about fighting Candiace on social media, got her blogger friends to taunt and harass Candiace, recorded a song and finally after a fucking year she managed to "I'm sorry but..." at the reunion. 

If you wanted to keep your place on an ensemble shows that requires you to interact with a cast of 5 other women then she went about the aftermath of this fight all wrong. Her lack of accountability and self awareness is astonishing to me. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, geauxaway said:

And yet this is what you spent your time on?  I honestly don’t even understand what you were searching for?   SNL did a parody of Monique? Is that what is happening here?  

Yes, it is what I spent exactly 40 seconds on. 

SNL did a parody of a rap song, not moniques.  I searched YouTube for that parody by typing in "SNL rap song" into the search bar.  

On the search results - moniques rap video also popped up.  

I hope that clears up the timeline of events leading up to the 40 seconds of watching moniques video.  But I would agree that it was a waste of 40 seconds that ill never get back because her video is hot garbage.  LOL. 

 

Edited by RealReality
  • Like 8
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/29/2020 at 12:50 PM, amarante said:

While many housewives have gone down in flames, there are some who have enough social intelligence and skills to navigate without it ruining their lives. Many of them get out when they sense that it is turning into a toxic environment for themselves and their families.

I suspect that Wendy is smart enough to be able to navigate without damage. Heather Dubrow left and her family and marriage are intact. Eileen Davidson left BH. Carole Radziwill and Heather Thompson left. Jeanna Keogh from OC There are no doubt a few others who I can't think of in the moment.

The ones who are destroyed either need the money and/or are psychologically damaged so that they thrive on the toxicity - Tamra and VIcki from OC come to mind. 

 

Wendy does actually seem to like her husband.  You can usually see the serious cracks in a relationship and with her I see normal husband-wife bickering, but nothing alarming.  As long as she doesn't have a vow renewal!

I remember Bethanny (RHNY) said that she was the only housewife ever to have quit.  Everyone else was either straight fired (contract not renewed), or they were demoted and then they decided to leave.  I believe Andy confirmed this.  Tinsley (NY) quit after Bethanny made the claim.  But everyone else who has left the show did so not because they were moving on to greener pastures.  They were kicked out the door or made to feel like they might as well slink away.  

 

On 12/30/2020 at 10:36 AM, drivethroo said:

Monique is very likeable, very personable and (unfortunately) very relatable.  I think she will do quite well with a YouTube channel where she is talking about all of her ventures.  Not for Lazy Moms is a fail because the branding is off-putting and she is trying to take shortcuts to be on the level of The Read when she hasn't done The Read level work. If she does YouTube channel and mixes in Not for Lazy Moms as well as showcase her life, her kids, talks about the oils etc. I think she will do quite well.  She may have wanted to stay but I really don't think she needs the show at this point.

 

If Monique is disciplined enough to film RHOP, she's disciplined enough to film vlogs for her YouTube channel and I think she can do it.  I also think she needs to close down Not For Lazy Moms as a stand alone podcast and roll it into her YouTube channel as a Not For Lazy Moms segment.  There's no difference between filming RHOP and filming for her own YouTube/Instagram except with the YouTube/Instagram, SHE's in total control of her image and how much of her life she wants to share.

 

I have to disagree with your Monique assessment - I find her unlikable, non-personable and totally unrelatable

The show is a national TV show.  She doesn't have that hook that draws people in for youtube.  She probably got a lot of hits on youtube after leaving the show, but now, why would anyone want to watch her?  She is a failed rapper, failed reality tv show personality.  I know she has some fans that really like her, but enough to have a career as an influencer or whatever?  I don't think she has the content.

Like I think @amarante said, showing up to film a tv show is WAY different than planning, filming, editing, etc a podcast or youtube channel all on your own.  If she hires people to do all of that, she still has to come up with the ideas.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/19/2021 at 12:52 PM, heatherchandler said:

The show is a national TV show.  She doesn't have that hook that draws people in for youtube.  She probably got a lot of hits on youtube after leaving the show, but now, why would anyone want to watch her?  She is a failed rapper, failed reality tv show personality.  I know she has some fans that really like her, but enough to have a career as an influencer or whatever?  I don't think she has the content.

The new "friend" on RHOA, LaToya is a successful influencer on YouTube. From what I can tell, in order to get that title, you have to do something that is significant to a demographic other than the one that I'm in, because I have no idea who this chick is or what she could be talking about that she'd be considered expert enough for others to pay attention to her. Point is- there are a LOT of people who have the title of YouTube personalities that bring a lot less to the table than Monique. Whether we agree or not, her exposure on RHoP has already given her a built in audience and she's got the money to buy followers if she doesn't get them organically. My guess is that she'll be just fine

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/15/2021 at 3:26 PM, bosawks said:

Soooo, infidelity scandal coming in 3-2-1.........

And then hush baby number 3 coming in 3-2-1........

Also, Ashley insisting that she be exempt from anyone coming for her because she is a NEW MOTHER, while throwing plenty of shade at everyone else.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size