Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: King's Gambit

I agree.  I hope Miles' father can help him look at the God account in a new way.  Maybe he'll become less certain that it's not God behind it, as in becoming more agnostic than atheist, like his DJ girlfriend.  I still hope Miles and Cara are end game, but I'm not ready to see them together so I'm OK with them pursuing other interests for now.  I wonder how they'll eventually get together.  I'm sure the God account will have something to do with it.  I read that the network has ordered a full season so it's nice to know that the ratings have been good enough for that!  Also, I loved the detective being a part of this episode and glad they've had him reappear a few times.  I hope he continues to be a part of this show because he's great.  Another tear jerker episode at the end, too!

I just had a thought - maybe Miles got his name from his father's love of jazz, as in Miles Davis.

• Love 5

This show makes me feel good. It's one of those rare shows where I like every single character. And i'm glad that they didn't just throw Miles and Cara together because I want to see them go on a journey to get to each other.

45 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I agree.  I hope Miles' father can help him look at the God account in a new way.  Maybe he'll become less certain that it's not God behind it, as in becoming more agnostic than atheist, like his DJ girlfriend.  I still hope Miles and Cara are end game, but I'm not ready to see them together so I'm OK with them pursuing other interests for now.  I wonder how they'll eventually get together.  I'm sure the God account will have something to do with it.  I read that the network has ordered a full season so it's nice to know that the ratings have been good enough for that!  Also, I loved the detective being a part of this episode and glad they've had him reappear a few times.  I hope he continues to be a part of this show because he's great.  Another tear jerker episode at the end, too!

I just had a thought - maybe Miles got his name from his father's love of jazz, as in Miles Davis.

Miles got his name for civil rights activists who marched miles and miles. Miles talks about it at the beginning of last weeks episode.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, mommalib said:

Miles got his name for civil rights activists who marched miles and miles. Miles talks about it at the beginning of last weeks episode.

Wow, did he?  That's something I regrettably missed but thanks!

8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Also, I loved the detective being a part of this episode and glad they've had him reappear a few times.  I hope he continues to be a part of this show because he's great.  Another tear jerker episode at the end, too!

I think I've figured out what I like best about this show: it's about kindness and human connection. I feel like this episode was a particular example. Ray is doing well with his new son. He's funny and kind with Miles and Cara. At the core, Miles and Rakesh and Cara are doing good and helping people with the God account (I would be freaking the fuck out all "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING," wipe my digital footprint as clean as I could, and throw my phone in the Hudson, but I can suspend my disbelief on that). Joe Morton exudes warmth as Arthur, which is a small touch but an important one. (And a 180 from his last TV role on Scandal, where he was cold and heartless.) He's genuinely happy to connect with Miles and it's great to see him reconnect with music. He was BEAMING in that photo. Even just the small things, like how Miles said his dad told him stories about the (cute) chess legend and how the chess legend was so good with the daughter and how Miles' sister is happy that their dad and Miles are connecting. Ray and Arthur sharing a beer, just hanging out enjoying a chat. I feel like in this day and age, there is a distinct lack of kindness and human connection (I think social media actually makes us less connected, not more), and it just makes me feel good to see examples of both for an hour.

Also, I kind of have a crush on Miles. I find the actor very charming and cute and I find the character interesting and nice without being too much of a Mary Sue.

• Love 21

This was another great outing showing the show's strength: agreed that it's all about kindness and human connection. And I liked the agnostic curve ball Nia was throwing in Miles' direction. What's the price he's willing to pay to get behind the mystery?

And there was one scene where  Brandon Michael Hall channeled Morton's mannerism and speech pattern so perfectly that I really bought him as Arthur's son.

• Love 5

I really have to remember to do my dusting...something in my eye...

For real though, I do love how this show just lets us drown in the feelings of it all, and enjoy seeing people find connections with each other. In fact, I think thats one of the big themes of the show. Both the obvious things, like how almost every God Account story is about reconnecting people with family and friends, new and old, but its also about the ways people can connect. Like the girl who was searching for her camp boyfriend based around the old letters he sent her, the mother finally connecting with her autistic son through music, and the deceased step father leaving his step son a book based around the feelings he had for him that he couldn't express in words. Its just about these nice people who go around helping these other nice, decent people be happier, just so the sake of it, and its just so freaking heartwarming. 

Loved seeing Ray again, he really seemed so much happier than the last time we met him. I like checking in with previous characters, in small ways, or ways that help the plot, even having Arthur and Ray hanging out and having a beer, which will hopefully help Arthur seeing how much good his son is doing. I enjoyed the case of the week, and how things worked out. I like that the show celebrates people being passionate being things, even things that a lot of people would find strange or stuffy. 

• Love 13

This really should have been a two-parter.  Profundities abounded.  The journey of the aggrieved chess Grandmaster was not given full weight and his instant Grinch heart growth was too much.

The thing that bugged the most?  Those two stay bedside when Graham returns, but his wife and child depart.  Huh?  

The first part of the amend (admitting he cheated) was pretty great.  I was, and am, eager to learn what his proposal was to try to make it good.  Instead, we discover his motive was not an amend.  It was asking more of the one he betrayed!  What audacity.  I loved that the show went there. 

The chess shop owner was another piece of work.  Keeping alive the legend with lying rumors.  Of course, just as on the surface it was about Aleksandr's daughter being given an awesome opportunity, the shop owner's passion was about a Harlem chess legend.  Ooops.  Not so much.  It was about a better valuation of his physical assets.  Nice.

It really was heartwarming to see the healing despite the treachery.  In fact, it serves as a fantastic lesson that I can find miracles amongst and through sinners.   This is something I need pounded through my super thick skull over and over and over again.  And again. 

Ray's advice to Cara that one wastes time in a romance if it is not GREAT was fan-freaking-tastic!  I just wish that by her following that advice, it wouldn't necessarily push her to Miles more quickly.  That needs to be put off as long as metaphysically possible.

Nia is going to find out why it is important to pick a side when it comes to something of supreme importance, such as a relationship, or a God.  I like her and do not wish her ill.  I am actually wishing her love.

I also wish I wouldn't have to wait two weeks for the last (?!!!!) ep of the season.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 3
On 11/27/2018 at 9:52 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Nia is going to find out why it is important to pick a side when it comes to something of supreme importance, such as ... a God.  I like her and do not wish her ill.  I am actually wishing her love.

Why have "sides"?  That implies one is right and ALLLLLLL the others aren't.  By not picking a "team", she's free to pick the best from all of them -- kinf of a fantasy league of religion.

I'm closer to her than to anyone else on the show.  What does it matter what we call "God" (or if the "God Account"  is from some Supreme Being) when it's our actions, how we treat the "least of us" as a Jewish carpenter once said, that really matters.

• Love 6

@jhlipton  It's about deep commitment in faith.  In the end, we can not KNOW fully and truly about anyone.  If we hold back, we cheat ourselves and our partners.  The more we buy in, the greater the pain if it turns out our faith was misplaced.

I honestly do not understand how one can be half-in, half-out when it comes to God.  Almost all of us don't fully actualize on a belief in God, but that is an entirely different question.  Yet, if there is a decent chance that billions aren't wrong.  That miracles have been wrought through prayers.  That there have been appearances of various entities, such as angels.  One simply must devote an enormous amount of time and energy to the question and prove he does not exist.  Well, that can not be done, the same way it can not be proven on earthly terms he does.  

Atheists must figure out a code to live by.  Man, that is hard and said code must incorporate the reality that there is no hereafter.  If a majority were atheist, is it likely society would be more, or less, generous?  I'd very likely be all about getting what I can get, while I can get it.  All selfishness; no selflessness; all the time.

To not go all in either way, however, would be to cheat myself.  I believe Nia is doing just that.

• Love 2

Honestly surprised there was movement on the Falken thing; because I'm thinking it's a red herring and not at all related to the God Account.

I wished they would have held off longer on any romantic connection between Miles and Cara. Mainly because the show didn't start that way; so to me it's kind of of going against it's premise. But it's not a dealbreaker.

I'm also glad Miles' father is now willing to hear out Miles about the God account.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

@jhlipton  It's about deep commitment in faith.  In the end, we can not KNOW fully and truly about anyone.  If we hold back, we cheat ourselves and our partners.  The more we buy in, the greater the pain if it turns out our faith was misplaced.

I honestly do not understand how one can be half-in, half-out when it comes to God.  Almost all of us don't fully actualize on a belief in God, but that is an entirely different question.  Yet, if there is a decent chance that billions aren't wrong.  That miracles have been wrought through prayers.  That there have been appearances of various entities, such as angels.  One simply must devote an enormous amount of time and energy to the question and prove he does not exist.  Well, that can not be done, the same way it can not be proven on earthly terms he does.  

Not to defend atheists because I'm not one, but the usual response to this is that the burden of proof falls on the side that believes in the existence of an entity whose existence cannot be proven.  There is no need to prove that something unprovable does not exist.  It's not only impossible, but it's because to them only the provable exists.  That's the argument I've heard.

And the billions that believe are said to somehow be engaging in a collective delusion based on emotional needs and with regard to miracles are ascribing causes to events where there is no necessary cause and effect relationship, no matter how it may look like there is to someone that wants it to be true.

But then again, I'm with you on this.

Edited by Yeah No
1 hour ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Atheists must figure out a code to live by.  Man, that is hard and said code must incorporate the reality that there is no hereafter.  If a majority were atheist, is it likely society would be more, or less, generous?  I'd very likely be all about getting what I can get, while I can get it.  All selfishness; no selflessness; all the time.

I respect your opinion, but must disagree with you on this.  My "code" is the one preached in the Gospels: "Don't be a jerk" and "Treat the 'less of these' as well as, if not better than, anyone else.  Remember, it may be a illegal immigrant who is transgender who gets you to the hospital and pays your bills.  I don't have to believe in the divinity of Christ to see these as the best way to live.

And far too many so-called "X-tians" (as I call them, to distinguish them from the true "followers of Christ") stray way far away from these two precepts.

Moreover, if you believe in a Christian God, which one do you believe in?  The one who says divorce is immoral?  The one that sanctions slavery?  The one who requires full-immersion baptism or the one who requires a dabbing baptism, or the one who doesn't require any?  The one who condemns 90 or less years of "sinning" to an eternity of Hell, or one who admits all people into Its presence?  For me, unlike Iago, I do not. and will not. believe in a cruel God.)

22 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Not to defend atheists because I'm not one, but the usual response to this is that the burden of proof falls on the side that believes in the existence of an entity whose existence cannot be proven.  There is no need to prove that something unprovable does not exist.  It's not only impossible, but it's because to them only the provable exists.  That's the argument I've heard.

And the billions that believe are said to somehow be engaging in a collective delusion based on emotional needs and with regard to miracles are ascribing causes to events where there is no necessary cause and effect relationship, no matter how it may look like there is to someone that wants it to be true.

The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" was invented to demonstrate your first paragraph.  If you can't disprove His Noodly Goodness, then you've shown that disproving any divine being is impossible.  For me, personally, the power of prayer" fails Occam's Razor:  I'd have to believe that the sick,the homeless, those suffering with ills I can't even imagine, just aren't -praying Hard Enough.  Ugh, no.

And I hate the atheists who believe in your second paragraph.  They fail the "Don't be a jerk" code.  I reserve my bile for those X-tians who use their "faith" to harm others.  

My wife is a devout Baptist who believes in the power of prayer.  "Don't be a jerk" tells me to respect her belief, and not to use my own observations and beliefs to diminish hers.

• Love 3

My main point is that the question of deity and the connection, if any, to a possible life hereafter is one that must be answered to the  maximum possible extent for anyone hoping to maximize their earthly existence.  One question always, necessarily, leads to another.  Seek!  A half-in/half-out non-effort limits one necessarily, imo.

It is, however, undeniable and proven Sociology (Science!) that Judeo-Christians are significantly more generous than any other faith, or non-faith, group.  Total happenstance, or not, it is a significant data point.

Man has never come anywhere close to a more workable and universal rationality than the one given in the Bible.  Take out all the specific worship stuff.  Take out the "I Am That I Am."  The code, which does require a belief in things greater than selfish self-interest, is superior than any man-engendered alternative.  If the argument is that it was particularly prescient and knowledgeable men, not Divinely inspired,  who came up with that code back in the day, cool.  Why is it that nothing close to it was out in place until the end of the 18th Century?  Why is it that every system devised thereafter has been an unmitigated disaster?  (Hint:  The nature of man).

In my experience, the best people and things come from a place of humility.  Assigning man the true power to rationalize himself to "purity" is counter to the humility which I have seen work wonders.  There are any numbers of false systems which have been developed (Communism being a prime example) to try to place supremacy in man. 

However, I fully, 100%, unalterably, with pure conviction, grant I can never prove the ultimate truth of man.  Not in terms man can process.  Thank you for engaging!  Peace.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:12 AM, Empress1 said:

Also, I kind of have a crush on Miles. I find the actor very charming and cute and I find the character interesting and nice without being too much of a Mary Sue.

I think I have a crush on him too! :) His smile is beautiful. I agree 100% with your description.

• Love 5
On 11/26/2018 at 4:20 PM, tennisgurl said:

Loved seeing Ray again, he really seemed so much happier than the last time we met him. I like checking in with previous characters, in small ways, or ways that help the plot, even having Arthur and Ray hanging out and having a beer, which will hopefully help Arthur seeing how much good his son is doing. I enjoyed the case of the week, and how things worked out. I like that the show celebrates people being passionate being things, even things that a lot of people would find strange or stuffy. 

I just spoke to my BFF about this show and we both confessed to having crushes on Ray, despite thinking he should have a little more of a NY accent.

She and I are natives, hence the nitpick.  She works at NYU which is close to where some of the scenes are filmed in this.  Both of us are suspending disbelief at how fast they whip around the city.  They'd need a helicopter to accomplish some of those trips so quickly.  Even the subway isn't that fast.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Both of us are suspending disbelief at how fast they whip around the city.  They'd need a helicopter to accomplish some of those trips so quickly.  Even the subway isn't that fast.

They're taking the same Fringe transport that got Walternate & Co. from Manhattan to Boston and back in an afternoon.

• Love 3

Here's an interesting factoid about this episode.  "The Chess Forum" is a real chess shop as featured on the show, only it's on Thompson St. in Greenwich Village, near Washington Square Park, not in Harlem.  In fact, most of the outdoor scenes on this show are done in either the East or West Village.

I'm pretty sure the courthouse in this episode was the Supreme Court on Centre Street in Lower Manhattan.

• Love 3