Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: A House Divided

I didn't see the pilot, but caught this. Hall is great, but this show is not really my thing. I thought The Mayor was a much better show, and would have preferred watching that.

At the same time, it is nice to just watch something occasionally that is pleasant and good natured, which this show is. So I could see myself watching the occasional ep for escapism.

• Love 2

I liked this episode..although I couldn't help but notice the woman Miles' Dad wanted to ask out looks a lot younger...I don't have a problem with older men dating younger women but it's such a Hollywood thing now that it's overly cliche.

• Love 1

I enjoy the show, but found this episode to be extremely formulaic. It was way too obvious that the tour guide was Jim Smith, that Jim Smith was gay, and that Fliss (my next cat's name) was going to end up moving to NYC. But I totally want an "easy comet easy go" tee. 

I hate that we have to hear from all & sundry how Miles & Cara are the perfect couple (see also, Lucy & Wyatt on "Timeless" + 1,000,000 other examples). And then of course she runs into the ex who got away who is never - NEVER! -  in that neighborhood. Again, shades of Lucy & Wyatt, whose wife was dead in another timeline but who appears just after L+W sleep together. My eyes rolled so far back I checked out my own ass. Now the (when) will they/won't they begins. Joy. The actors have really great chemistry, so let's just let things happen organically, please. 

Sure wish I could come & go from work like Miles & Rakesh can. 

On 10/22/2018 at 12:09 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Miles should have spent his luck on a billion dollar lotto ticket in lieu of seeing his Dad at the precise moment dude walked out of the music store.  Great casting of Erica Gimpel as the owner.  I bet she will be a recurring cast member.

I really like her, so I hope so!

On 10/24/2018 at 1:09 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Has anyone noticed that Cara always has a purse on her? Even when she is just standing around, she doesn't put it down. I'm obsessed with it. Let's see if she does it in the next episode.

I hadn't noticed, but funny you should mention this, because I love the red purse she carried during this episode. 

On 10/30/2018 at 5:11 PM, jhlipton said:

As little as possible?

LOL! 

• Love 3

Disappointed in this ep.  

The circular, if not dishonest, talk Miles had with Hasan at the Mosque doesn't sit well with me.  The Dad begins by righteously challenging Miles' assumption that Islam was a major reason for his objections to the marriage.  Then, in full, but polite, umbrage he forcefully declares that it was about BELIEF!  He goes on to explain that her unbelief would be an automatic tearing of any familial relationship.  She would be, essentially, ex-communicating herself from him and her family.  An apostate.  But, heaven forfend, this wasn't about Islam.  The basic assumption is that the groom's father would be the very same.  

I get that the show has to be coy as to the specific parameters of "God."  But, it makes it difficult to accept anything as actual if logic can't apply.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

This one donkey punched me in the feels... I was surprised I reacted so strongly.. But Navid really brought it.. 

The song that was playing during the confrontation at City Hall is "Scars" by My Brother and I. I first discovered it on Queen Sugar and downloaded it. It's one of those songs that just hits me, so when I heard it I knew it was going to have Feelings.

I thought Joe Morton asking out the music store lady was very cute. Looks like Miles is getting a new love interest too.

I'm always happy to see Malik Yoba.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I'm always happy to see Malik Yoba

Some of my faintest early memories( and this might be colored by my moms recollections)  are of seeing malik on Thursdays on NY under cover while my mom was finishing law school.. Back before she could hide her Guyanese accent she would talk about how nice it was to see a west Indian on tv.. Even if he was a Jamaican 

• Love 5
Just now, UNOSEZ said:

Some of my faintest early memories( and this might be colored by my moms recollections)  are of seeing malik on Thursdays on NY under cover while my mom was finishing law school.. Back before she could hide her Guyanese accent she would talk about how nice it was to see a west Indian on tv.. Even if he was a Jamaican 

I had crushes on both Malik Yoba and Michael DeLorenzo when that show was on. (I had to sneak it at first because my parents thought it was too violent.) Malik Yoba has aged well.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Disappointed in this ep.  

The circular, if not dishonest, talk Miles had with Hasan at the Mosque doesn't sit well with me.  The Dad begins by righteously challenging Miles' assumption that Islam was a major reason for his objections to the marriage.  Then, in full, but polite, umbrage he forcefully declares that it was about BELIEF!  He goes on to explain that her unbelief would be an automatic tearing of any familial relationship.  She would be, essentially, ex-communicating herself from him and her family.  An apostate.  But, heaven forfend, this wasn't about Islam.  The basic assumption is that the groom's father would be the very same.  

I get that the show has to be coy as to the specific parameters of "God."  But, it makes it difficult to accept anything as actual if logic can't apply.

I didn’t see it as totally circular. I took it as meaning that a great portion of family/holiday time involved religious celebrations. Celebrations that her spouse and children, and possibly her, would or could not attend: so the family bonds would be endangered. Just as a parent might object to offspring moving out of state. 

That doesnt mean he was in the right to be in control of his  adult offsprings lives the way he wanted. They are adults and they all chose to come to this country. Both our laws and customs mean that adult children can’t be forced into the decisions their parents  want for them. Whether it’s possession of a cell phone, moving out of state or marriage. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4

I thought this was an interesting episode, and I loved seeing Navid Negahban as the friend pf the week. He really sold the emotions all throughout, especially in the big reconciliation scene on the train. As much as I oppose the idea of telling your kids they cant see a person because of religion or background or some such thing, he did actually explain himself well, and I could at least see where he was coming from beyond just being closed minded or something. He was afraid that she would be separated from their whole community, and their culture, not even getting into what the kids would be raised as, especially in a religion that has a lot of rituals and religious celebration as family bonding. But, I do love that he accepted the marriage, and apparently the grooms family has come around as well. 

Joe and music lady were cute, and I am really glad that she came back. Now everyone gets a new love interest! Looks like Miles uncle is having some struggles. 

• Love 3

I'm glad that the Hasan came around (predictable, though), but it was unrealistic for it to happen over the 2 days that they showed. But I know it's only an hour-long show.

I'm intrigued by the new possible (oh, who am I kidding!) love interest for Miles. And we still don't know as much about Cara and Eli, so I'm neutral about whether them getting back together is good or bad. Wow, Jaya was really unnecessary.

Uh oh, trouble with Miles' uncle?

Shallow notes: I'm really liking the costume/wardrobe decisions on this show. Everyone looks good. Cara's dresses look great, but sometimes I wish she'd wear a jacket or sweater, just because it's Fall (even though I know they shot this over the summer)!

• Love 3

This episode didn't feel 100% realistic to me.  I agree that Hasan came around too fast, plus he seemed too reasonable about it.  It was realistic for him to be angry at Miles, but to have a reasonable conversation with him so soon afterward didn't feel right.  It would be a big jump for him to make on so little.  In previous episodes I could buy the transformation of the week even if it involved some suspension of disbelief, but not so much here.

Also, it's starting to bug me that in spite of so many coincidences linking the characters in this show Miles isn't starting to wonder how that could be possible.  He tells Cara not to even talk about it at the end of the episode, so it has to be working on him to some degree.  I guess that was to show he's not ready to admit it.

• Love 5

Still catching up, but I'm glad I read the discussion for this episode.  I really didn't get the point of God unfriending Miles and disappearing.  It seemed to me just a way to shake things up a bit, so that the weekly formula isn't quite so... formulaic.  But the parallels to true calling and how God worked through the prophets all makes sense, and now I see why they did it.  It was a test.  Everything's a test.

I kinda like Jaya, but it seems like we're getting a few too many characters on this show, and this was their way of writing her out.  She's off to Minnysota (ha ha, I like that spelling).  I mean, Miles is obviously the main guy, Cara the main sidekick, and Rakesh the main guy's best friend.  Standard formula there.  But the main guy's best friend's not-girlfriend and all the drama that comes with that?  It seemed one degree too far removed for me to really care about.  And yeah, the standard drama when the parents meet and reveal their pride/disappointments with their kids... bleah.  I care even less about the main guy's best friend's not-girlfriend's parents.

So Emma actually pulled Rachel from the wreck.  They did finally state it plainly for those of us with minimal attention spans, but it seemed like it wasn't quite as big of a deal as it should've been.  I don't know.  I wouldn't want it beaten to death, but Miles telling Rachel that Emma's last act was an act of love, not of hate, was good but it seemed like there should've been just a bit more follow-up on that and how it affected Rachel and her feelings regarding her sister's final moments, other than her deciding to go back to AA.

• Love 5
On 11/4/2018 at 10:58 PM, shapeshifter said:

Erica Gimpel (music store lady) is 54; Joe Morton (Miles' dad) is 71 — not 61, as I had first typed — but at least she's not 44?

To be fair, even if he's 71, he's likely not playing a character that old.  Clearly Miles is in his late 20s or possibly early 30s, and they've given no indication that this family had kids late. In fact, given the religious background, and the way they described the Dad's earlier life, it's more implied they had kids early.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

To be fair, even if he's 71, he's likely not playing a character that old.  Clearly Miles is in his late 20s or possibly early 30s, and they've given no indication that this family had kids late. In fact, given the religious background, and the way they described the Dad's earlier life, it's more implied they had kids early.

I agree.  Since when does the age of the actor always dictate the age of the character they play?  I would never have thought he was that old.  I might have imagined the music store lady was 10 years younger at most.

• Love 3