Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Heavenly Taco Truck

Miles’ wallet is stolen when he, Rakesh and Cara check out a food truck the God Account suggests that he “like.” But when the account then suggests that he befriend a private investigator, Miles decides to turn the tables and have the PI help him track down the thief, who Miles believes is linked to the account.

Airing Sunday, 10/14.

I liked this episode a lot.  A lot going on - Miles'sister, revelation from his father regarding sister and congregants who left because of the acceptance, and those who came because of it.  The retired cop/PI, the late wife and her connection to the boy.  Neat twist, I thought.  Karaoke bar was a good scene.  Worried for Rakesh, and then happy it worked.

I like the lead a lot, and I think overall the rest of the cast works for me.

• Love 8

This was great. I enjoyed getting to know Miles and his family more. I think that part is my favourite aspect of the show. 

Of course Cara likes Miles and it's likely the two will get together.

I even liked the case this week. I really liked the P.I and I think he had some great scenes with Miles and Cara. What a great twist as well with the late wife. 

• Love 8

Yeah, this one was more interesting than the last. I thought they could have gotten to the PI's wife is the pickpocket's social worker a little sooner, though.

They fleshed out Miles' sister and father a bit.

Not that everything needs to be connected to the God Account, or Miles directly, but I just don't think that Rakesh's love life needs all this screentime. It seems superfluous (the whole karaoke scene felt like filler to me), and I'd rather we learn about and spend more time with Cara.

4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Of course Cara likes Miles and it's likely the two will get together.

I'm not opposed to it, but I feel like they might be pushing that angle too soon.

• Love 4

"So you've been friended by someone calling themselves God and they send you on missions to help people? That doesn't sound like a good podcast at all! Let's concentrate on you talking about how God doesn't exist." 

How dumb is that producer dude? Miles just dropped viral gold into his lap and he wants him to ignore it. So dumb. 

• Love 5

I wish they would get Ali a better wig. 

I really liked the PI. I laughed when they were following him because I was thinking, "He's a PI, he's better at this than you" and then when he busted them I was like "See?!"

8 hours ago, Trini said:

Not that everything needs to be connected to the God Account, or Miles directly, but I just don't think that Rakesh's love life needs all this screentime. It seems superfluous (the whole karaoke scene felt like filler to me),

I fast-forwarded through that karaoke scene with Rakesh. I like him, but I don't really like the woman he's interested in and I don't find that piece of the story particularly interesting.

• Love 7

My favorite episode so far. I liked the P.I. and did not see the twist with his wife coming (although I should have but they buried the lead pretty good). And everything about Miles and his family was great too. For the first time I forgot about Papa Pope and really got to see and feel the Reverend - especially in that last scene. The Karaoke bar scene was a nice exercise in ditching tropes: Rakesh didn't turn out to be an unexpectedly amazing singer nor did he get booed from the stage because he tanked so badly - very sweet.

Things I'm not so sure about: the constant trick with the lighting, can't make up my mind if it's clever or too clever. Cara and her 'stories' - how is that supposed to work? Does she give away all the details incl. everything aboutt the 'God account' and if so wouldn't this generate some interest by major news outlets? And what about privacy issues?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

My favorite episode so far. I liked the P.I. and did not see the twist with his wife coming (although I should have but they buried the lead pretty good). And everything about Miles and his family was great too. For the first time I forgot about Papa Pope and really got to see and feel the Reverend - especially in that last scene. The Karaoke bar scene was a nice exercise in ditching tropes: Rakesh didn't turn out to be an unexpectedly amazing singer nor did he get booed from the stage because he tanked so badly - very sweet.

Things I'm not so sure about: the constant trick with the lighting, can't make up my mind if it's clever or too clever. Cara and her 'stories' - how is that supposed to work? Does she give away all the details incl. everything aboutt the 'God account' and if so wouldn't this generate some interest by major news outlets? And what about privacy issues?

I THINK, and may very well be wrong, that the stories she is writing are adjacent to the God account.  The first week she wrote about connecting with her newfound sister.  I am not sure what she wrote this week, but maybe something to do with CPS. 

• Love 1

I really liked this episode, I think it was the best one so far. I liked them fleshing out Miles family more, and the stuff with the Rev working to connect with his kids more was really sweet, especially his last scene with Miles. It was a really nice speech, and it was just what Miles needed to hear. 

The case of the week was good too, I really liked the PI, and while I wondered if he would help the kid pretty early on, I didnt see the twist coming with the deceased wife. They foreshadowed it really well, and when it popped up, it was a great "ooooooh" moment. I hope that the PI might pop up again sometime, he could be a good contact for future cases. 

It seems like Cara isnt writing about the God Account, she is writing human interest pieces about the events surrounding it. First her story about finding her mother and sister, and then the mom connecting with her son through music last week. 

I wonder if they will end up helping Rakesh or his love interest, or she will end up helping them? I thought the karaoke scene was cute and rather endearing. I liked that he wasn't actually amazing, or terrible and got booed, and instead the crowd got behind his nervous enthusiasm. 

• Love 5

I am liking this show more than I expected to, and I think it's because of the cast. I really like all of the characters, with the exception of the Reverend. The actor who plays him is fine, and I suppose he adds a needed source of conflict, but I don't find him very likable.

I'm fine with them drawing out the Miles/Cara relationship. It's nice to see them build a friendship first.

What the heck do Miles and Rakesh do for a living that they can just up and leave whenever the notion strikes them? I've never been really clear on what their job is. As a journalist, Cara has a little more leeway to take off at a moment's notice to follow whatever story she's working on.

The supernatural aspects of the show don't bother me, because they are not being overtly religious or preachy. And frankly, it makes more sense than some all knowing hacker interfering in their lives and having the ability to make just the right connections. I'm interested to see where they take this.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Trini said:

Yeah, this one was more interesting than the last. I thought they could have gotten to the PI's wife is the pickpocket's social worker a little sooner, though.

They fleshed out Miles' sister and father a bit.

Not that everything needs to be connected to the God Account, or Miles directly, but I just don't think that Rakesh's love life needs all this screentime. It seems superfluous (the whole karaoke scene felt like filler to me), and I'd rather we learn about and spend more time with Cara.

I'm not opposed to it, but I feel like they might be pushing that angle too soon.

I like that they put it in the air that there is something between Miles and Cara, but i'm sure it's gonna be a while before they pull that trigger. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I THINK, and may very well be wrong, that the stories she is writing are adjacent to the God account.  The first week she wrote about connecting with her newfound sister.  I am not sure what she wrote this week, but maybe something to do with CPS. 

In the first episode Miles thanked her for not revealing the God account and she said it wasn't her story to tell. So I don't think she has revealed the God account, she is just using the people she meets to write stories. I'm assuming she got an okay from the PI and the kid to write about them, and/or used aliases? It is a pretty good human interest story (PI's investigation leads him to kid his dead wife took care of). 

4 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

What the heck do Miles and Rakesh do for a living that they can just up and leave whenever the notion strikes them? I've never been really clear on what their job is. As a journalist, Cara has a little more leeway to take off at a moment's notice to follow whatever story she's working on.

They are some kind of customer service people for maybe a bank type company. People call when they have identity theft issues and they help get them new cards.

So, it is possible they don't work regular hours and we only see them investigating at times they aren't scheduled to work. I know people who've worked at call centers and they didn't keep 9-5 hours. But didn't Miles actually quit last week when he thought his podcast was going to take off? Did we see him un-quit when he backed out of the deal with not Sirius?

• Love 1
On 10/15/2018 at 12:19 AM, Brian Cronin said:

"So you've been friended by someone calling themselves God and they send you on missions to help people? That doesn't sound like a good podcast at all! Let's concentrate on you talking about how God doesn't exist." 

How dumb is that producer dude? Miles just dropped viral gold into his lap and he wants him to ignore it. So dumb. 

It's because the producer was Eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil.  We know because God told us so!  (And so much for free will!)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

So, it is possible they don't work regular hours and we only see them investigating at times they aren't scheduled to work. I know people who've worked at call centers and they didn't keep 9-5 hours. But didn't Miles actually quit last week when he thought his podcast was going to take off? Did we see him un-quit when he backed out of the deal with not Sirius?

Yeah, this was a stupid conversation in the episode with the HR guy.  Miles put in his two week notice.  Rescinded it, therefore never actually quitting, and the HR guy said he had to go through the new hire training and paperwork all over again.  I was in HR for almost 20 years.  That's not how it works....

• Love 1
22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

It seems like Cara isnt writing about the God Account, she is writing human interest pieces about the events surrounding it. First her story about finding her mother and sister, and then the mom connecting with her son through music last week. 

My biggest peeve, as a former journalist myself, is how someone as young as Cara could have landed such a great job with so much creative freedom at a large NYC publication. But alas, that's the magic of TV.

• Love 6

This was my favorite episode. I wish that detective was a series regular.

I think Cara adds a certain sweetness most shows are lacking. HOWEVER, I think her character would be much more interesting if she was a little angry at her mother and needed something more than "I saw you run in 8th grade." Miles wasn't even abandoned but he holds his dad feet to the fire more than Cara does with her mom.

And because it can't be said enough Miles is completely adorable. I loved him in The Mayor and was angry at Hulu for pulling all the episodes

• Love 5

Reminded me of "The Shack," and that's not a good thing. Sure, you can forgive G-d for a death or an abandonment. What about genocide? What about whole town destroyed in Rwanda, Nazis, tidal wave? Lame theology.

Slow moving.

Also, I'm a journalist. No. Fucking. Way. NOBODY doesn't write a story let alone a TOP story for six weeks and keeps a job. We have daily, if it's a daily, or weekly check-ins, called story budget meetings, where space for the paper is allotted (or just schedule and stories batted around for online). NO WAY would an editor say "give me 1000 words" without knowing what scope was.

And no way does a serious journalist turn in a first person "think piece" when she's expected to interview and report without clearing it first.

Will not tune in again to this shades of "touched by an angel."

On 10/15/2018 at 12:42 PM, Whimsy said:

The one last week was called "Beautiful Boy," so I guess she wrote about the mom connecting with her autistic son through music. I could see that being a nice hook. 

• Love 3

Miles gives Ray the speech about there ain't no coincidences.  Then utterly rejects any such notion when so many crazy dots got connected yet again.  That has never not happened since "God" showed up.  Things have never been better with his dad, who just gave Miles the perfect message about losing followers only to gain more.  Guess whose podcast is about to explode?

But, it won't be God.  Oh, noooo.

Rakesh is still my favorite.  Dude is taking major plunges in faith that Miles and Cara refuse to take.  I don't much care for the lady with whom he is smitten.   I very much look forward to her conversion to an acceptance of higher callings and of real love, though.  I would be shocked if her arc was to reject the goodness which has entered her life.  However, it would make for fantastic draaaaaama/TV.  

I'm with Ray.  I can not stand the J E T S JETSJETSJETS.

• Love 2

I absolutely love this show and yes, this was my favorite episode yet too.  It touches me on so many levels I can't even describe.  I'm an Episcopalian and a native New Yorker.  I've had friends that were cops and Ray rang true for me.  I also knew he should know they were tailing him, and glad the show didn't miss that!  I also love how they haven't made the characters stereotypes or "typical" in any way.  

One nitpick is if they were going to 32 W. 17th Street in Manhattan, that was definitely not the street.  It looked like somewhere in Queens or Brooklyn.

Another nitpick is that an Episcopal church in Manhattan in this day and age would not lose 25% of its congregation on the basis of its pastor accepting a gay daughter.  I don't think that would have even happened 25 years ago in NY.  I go back a long way with the Episcopal church in New York, and a lot of congregations have had openly gay ministry and parishioners for a while now.  It's one of the most socially liberal mainstream Protestant churches out there and boasts a higher than average gay membership as a result.  Let's not forget the church in "Sex and the City" where Samantha comes on to the priest - That was filmed in the Episcopal church I got married in in Manhattan - Do you think a stuffy church would have allowed that scene to be filmed there if they weren't liberal about sexuality?  I went to an Episcopal church in stuffy Connecticut in 1992 and there was an uproar in the church when it found out the priest was gay but that was Connecticut 26 years ago, not Manhattan today!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 6

I only got the chance to watch this one tonight--it's actually one of my husband's shows, so we watch it on his schedule.  I've been pretty skeptical about this show, but I did really enjoy this episode.  While I did like the story of the PI, I am generally not sold on the whole "God Account" plot, which is kind of inconvenient since it is the basis of the show.  What I do really like about this show is Miles' evolving relationship with his family and his own "faith" journey (in quotes because I think it is more a journey of understanding, but it follows the path of what I would consider a faith journey).  Did I miss a mention earlier that his sister was gay?  I was not expecting that and actually didn't even realize it was his sister until the family had dinner!

7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Another nitpick is that an Episcopal church in Manhattan in this day and age would not lose 25% of its congregation on the basis of its pastor accepting a gay daughter.  I don't think that would have even happened 25 years ago in NY.  I go back a long way with the Episcopal church in New York, and a lot of congregations have had openly gay ministry and parishioners for a while now.  It's one of the most socially liberal mainstream Protestant churches out there and boasts a higher than average gay membership as a result. 

I also missed that his dad was an Episcopal priest, although I wondered if he was because the church, vestments, etc. really fit for the ECUSA.  There are conservative Episcopal churches, but yeah...I can't buy that for NYC. I am willing to handwave it away because if his father had been a Pastor of a church that could conceivably lose 25% of its congregation over his acceptance of his daughter, other parts of his story wouldn't work.  For example, he probably would have been asked to leave once his son came out as an Atheist...

• Love 1