Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Miles is an outspoken atheist whose life is turned upside down when he is “friended” by God on Facebook. Unwittingly, he becomes an agent of change in the lives and destinies of others around him.

First airing on broadcast on 9/30/18, however!!!  Enter at your own risk! See below!

In the spirit of its social media spin, the CBS drama God Friended Me will have a special premiere across multiple platforms including Twitter, Facebook Premieres, Instagram’s IGTV, CBS All Access, and CBS.com beginning Aug. 31 ahead of its Sept. 30 premiere.

The new series will also be available on the CBS app as well as multiple EST platforms including iTunes, Vudu, Google and Sony starting Aug. 31 at 2:00 PM ET/11:00 AM PT

• Love 1

I ended up watching this last night with my husband.  It was about what I expected, honestly.  I felt the acting (and writing) wasn't quite up to where I think it should be for a broadcast show on one of the major networks and the whole thing was a bit schmaltzy.  Things did tie up a bit too cleanly, but I'm willing to forgive that for the pilot.  I'm not sure how long this show will be able to run, but I think it should be at least reliable for ABC for a while.  

I'm not sure I would tune back into it except for the fact that my husband loved it.  He thought it was one of the best shows he's seen in years.  Either he has lower standards, I'm too picky, or (most likely) it's a combo of the two.  But, it does look like I'll be watching this one, no matter how I feel about it.

• Love 2

I liked it well enough for a pilot. As long as it doesn't become "friend request, save their life" every single week I plan to stick with it. While they probably can't really solve the mystery of how God is on Facebook, I appreciate that they've set up characters with somewhat useful skills (hacking, journalism, etc) to fuel the overarching plot. I liked the actors playing Miles, Cara, Rakesh, and Jaya and wouldn't mind that being the core "friend group" of the show, plus the sister - they can hang out at her bar!

• Love 6

I thought it was pretty solid for a pilot. We'll see how and if they can sustain it for a season. I liked the two main actors; I think they have good chemistry. The side characters are fine. I just hope they don't get too stuck in a formula -- but this is CBS, so there's a good chance of that.

I recognized a few of the NYC locations; that's always fun!

• Love 2

I know that the first trailer basically gave this entire pilot away, so nothing here was that new. This pilot was a bit cheesy and a bit on-the-nose, but I know most pilots are always rocky. They really rushed through some of the major plot points here, but they are leading into the season as a whole, and there are still some solid moments. I do hope the rest of the season settles down and uses more subtlety, since the stronger moments of this pilot were the quieter ones. 

I think, like a lot of these middle-ground shows, the cast is going to define how well the show is, since I'm not convinced the writing will be strong enough. The actors are going to be carrying the weight of the show, at least for now. Once the show finds its footing, if it's not too late and if the show hasn't been cancelled by then, it could have the potential to do really well.

• Love 5

Seriously hate that the promos gave all the major plot points away, but didn't hate the show. I will say I like it less than the other "God's talking to me" shows. Definitely falls behind Joan of Arcadia, Eli Stone, and Kevin (Probably) Saves the World in my opinion, but it gets another chance before Supergirl premieres and I have to choose. 

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:55 PM, Trini said:

I thought it was pretty solid for a pilot. We'll see how and if they can sustain it for a season. I liked the two main actors; I think they have good chemistry. The side characters are fine. I just hope they don't get too stuck in a formula -- but this is CBS, so there's a good chance of that.

I agree.  Having just watched the pilot episode, I thought it was pretty good.  I'll tune in again and go from there.  

• Love 3

It was on tonight.  I watched it, and I love it!!!! I thought at first that Miles and Cara were brother and sister. I thought Miles's father had an affair with Cara's mother. Boy was I wrong! :) Miles and Cara have a lot of chemistry! I'll call them Mara! :)   Too bad I can't watch it because Supergirl has been moved to Sunday at that hour..  Love my Supergirl! :)

Edited by sonyab
  • Love 3
On 9/1/2018 at 6:12 PM, shantown said:

I liked it well enough for a pilot. As long as it doesn't become "friend request, save their life" every single week I plan to stick with it. While they probably can't really solve the mystery of how God is on Facebook, I appreciate that they've set up characters with somewhat useful skills (hacking, journalism, etc) to fuel the overarching plot. I liked the actors playing Miles, Cara, Rakesh, and Jaya and wouldn't mind that being the core "friend group" of the show, plus the sister - they can hang out at her bar!

I think that is exactly what it will be!  Reminds me of an old show with Kyle Chandler where he got the newspaper a day early and only had 24 hours to stop the headline from happening.  Kind of a cross between that and Touched by an Angel.  It's cute.  I might get sick of it, but I'll probably watch a few times and see if it holds my interest.

• Love 6

So this is where Mr. Finch's machine went.. I guess since it can't talk to Root anymore as she's of saving mutants it'll have to send info to this guy.... I enjoyed what I saw.. Really liked the best friend and his new GF... Miles was pretty chill that Rakesh brought some brand new person up in his crib... The cast will make or break this show.. But I like em so far 

• Love 5

I watched the pilot a couple of weeks ago. Overall I liked it. I thought the cast gelled pretty well together so that's a good sign. An issue there is harder to fix sometimes than other things. 

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here. It's going to be a fine line they'll be in to maintain respect for believers and non believers.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

I think that is exactly what it will be!  Reminds me of an old show with Kyle Chandler where he got the newspaper a day early and only had 24 hours to stop the headline from happening.  Kind of a cross between that and Touched by an Angel.  It's cute.  I might get sick of it, but I'll probably watch a few times and see if it holds my interest.

That show was Early Edition.

• Love 6

I tuned in reluctantly because Mr. Author wanted to see it, and...loved it. I thought the writing was solid and sappy (in a good way). Someone said the cast will make or break it, and I agree. To that end I already adore the charismatic Brandon Michael Hall.

• Love 10

I guess I am super sensitive because I watched and legit said “hell no” and don’t give a shit about how awesome the cast is for a treacly touched by a angel reboot my analytical ass isn’t here for it.

i would pray this to be destroyed in the ratings but since it would defeat my purpose I think CBS confidence is low debuting in the middle of Sunday football.

But the real deal breaker was the horrible acting of several people. But the leads were particularly bad. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

It was a little too contrived for me, plus I can’t hear Joe Morton’s voice without Scandal-speech flashbacks.

I liked this.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but found it decent.  Definitely like it better than the Kevin Saves the World show.... that one annoyed me with the constant awkwardness of him talking to what looked like noone.  This show jumps in and focuses on the various storylines instead.

• Love 1
On 9/1/2018 at 11:30 PM, saoirse said:

I didn't hate it. It's formulaic for sure, but the cast is solid. And it has an interesting enough idea, so I'll see where it goes from here, if only because I like seeing these people on my screen (especially Joe Morton!).

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well, except I'm unfamiliar with all the actors. I will definitely give it another watch.

• Love 1

Judging from the first few minutes, God does miracles to save soul of witless atheist. Well, I wish God did miracles to help people, but He doesn't. (Don't ask me to justify or condemn this policy of His, that's above my pay grade.) When the rabbi who believes in physical miracles (something by the way that lots and lots and lots of high-toned believers claim *not* to believe) asks the lead "What happened to you?" this is the show explaining it's about how miracles are done to cure his lack of faith. That's Signs, except stretched out. Gonna pass. I liked the lead, but I though Jason Ritter was even more charming, and much funnier, and much more believable as someone who needed divine help to boot.

• Love 2

This show has a terribly stupid name (it sounds like Steve Bushemi trying to fit in with his fellow kids), but beyond that, I really liked the pilot. The cast is really good, especially the main character, who was the lead in the sadly cancelled The Mayor, and the show is making good use of his natural charm. Some of the pilot was a bit clunky and corny, but I dont mind a little bit of corny, and its still a pilot. Hopefully it evens out as the season goes on. 

I think this could be a fun way to talk about religion in the modern world, in a Joan of Arcadia kind of way. Heartwarming and sweet, but bringing up some debates between many different belief systems (or none) for people to discuss further. I do think they may be more ambiguous about whether the person on the other side of the computer really is big G God though. Or maybe not. Guess we will have to see! 

• Love 7

I enjoyed this pilot.  I wish I knew how the show can make sense once the protagonists become evangelists.  

Think about it.  A freaking miracle happened, and may be ongoing.  How the heck does one handle such an awareness?  The nice folks to whom we were introduced either become goody two shoes in extremis, or the foundation of the show - that God is working miracles through them - falls.

Of course, standard Christian dogma insists that God works through others.  All "others (you and me)" are flawed.  I take no issue with that philosophy.  The crucial difference here is that such direct contact, as is being portrayed, is exceedingly rare.  

Oh well, I've seen enough to stick with this show.  Here's hoping they avoid the trite.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I think this could be a fun way to talk about religion in the modern world, in a Joan of Arcadia kind of way. Heartwarming and sweet, but bringing up some debates between many different belief systems (or none) for people to discuss further. I do think they may be more ambiguous about whether the person on the other side of the computer really is big G God though. Or maybe not. Guess we will have to see! 

I loved, loved, loved Joan of Arcadia and I appreciate that this is kind of a modern take on Joan.  It seems like we're seeing some of the similar logic that Joan used - ripples. What you do influences or impacts others. It's so positive. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

But the real deal breaker was the horrible acting of several people. But the leads were particularly bad. 

Huh. I thought the premise of the show was silly, but I really liked all of the cast. I can't help but compare it to Manifest, because that's the only other new show I've watched. Loved the premise of that show but thought the cast was horrible. Not a spark of charisma among any of them. This show at least has characters that I don't mind spending time with. I'll watch for a few more episodes, anyway.

• Love 4

So here we have Touched By An Atheist... I like the cast, but I kind of hope that Miles and Cara can be platonic friends -- they've got Rajesh and Jaz for the "sexy times".  I didn't care for the "all atheists are really believers with Daddy issues" -- I never was a believer and neither were my parents.  But I can live with that and it's a fun show for my Baptist wife and I to watch together.

• Love 3

I never thought of Miles as atheist.   He believed in God until his mom died.  He said something about that would mean God was cruel.   

The shows name is dumb but I liked it more than I thought I would.   The reporter was the weak link to me.  I liked Miles, his dad sister and friend.   Hopefully it will be given a chance to find an audience.  

7 hours ago, tribeca said:

I never thought of Miles as atheist.   He believed in God until his mom died.  He said something about that would mean God was cruel.  

He calls himself an atheist -- it's the first thing we hear him say.  Of course, he's really not -- he just needs to be "put right" in his faith.

Only a "skin-deep" atheist needs to lecture people about there not being a God.  I think most of us are "Don't bother me and I won't bother you."  And I HATE those who use the term "sky-daddy".  That's a slur akin to any of the "_-words".

• Love 3
On 10/1/2018 at 1:05 PM, tennisgurl said:

Joan Of Arcadia through a computer screen instead of face to face. The rest of her extended family is missed and God is pushier in this version

• Love 2
On 10/2/2018 at 1:39 AM, jhlipton said:

So here we have Touched By An Atheist... I like the cast, but I kind of hope that Miles and Cara can be platonic friends -- they've got Rajesh and Jaz for the "sexy times".  I didn't care for the "all atheists are really believers with Daddy issues" -- I never was a believer and neither were my parents.  But I can live with that and it's a fun show for my Baptist wife and I to watch together.

I found there are a couple different kinds of atheists.  Those who don’t believe in God because they don’t believe in God but honestly what fun would a show like this be surrounded by them?  Then there is people like Miles.  The ultimate Daddy issue.  They stopped believing in God because if God allowed all the bad things to happen what kind of God is he?  Religious minded shows like this have a litmus test on how they view God and the supposed hero/lead.   I liked Saving Grace an underrated show because the lead was incredibly self destructive and yet would do anything for her friends.  Her fights with Earl were fun too.  Touched by am Angel was a little too soapy for me but it had its moments and Joan of Arcadia had an interesting interpretation of God and I wish it didn’t get cancelled.

This show is a little too whistfull for me.  Not sure I will keep up with it.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, jhlipton said:

He calls himself an atheist -- it's the first thing we hear him say.  Of course, he's really not -- he just needs to be "put right" in his faith.

Only a "skin-deep" atheist needs to lecture people about there not being a God.  I think most of us are "Don't bother me and I won't bother you."  And I HATE those who use the term "sky-daddy".  That's a slur akin to any of the "_-words".

5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I found there are a couple different kinds of atheists.  Those who don’t believe in God because they don’t believe in God but honestly what fun would a show like this be surrounded by them?  Then there is people like Miles.  The ultimate Daddy issue.  They stopped believing in God because if God allowed all the bad things to happen what kind of God is he?  Religious minded shows like this have a litmus test on how they view God and the supposed hero/lead.   I liked Saving Grace an underrated show because the lead was incredibly self destructive and yet would do anything for her friends.  Her fights with Earl were fun too.  Touched by am Angel was a little too soapy for me but it had its moments and Joan of Arcadia had an interesting interpretation of God and I wish it didn’t get cancelled.

This show is a little too whistfull for me.  Not sure I will keep up with it.

I think the obvious solution to this is to introduce another atheist-leaning person down the road as part of the gang... someone who is atheist for intellectual rather than emotional reasons, and is pretty cool with other people believing otherwise as long as those people don't @ them all the time. That pretty much jives with my experience when it comes to religion, spirituality or lack thereof - the people who are pushy or antagonistic about it are that way for a psychological reason, not a (lack-of-) faith-based one.

Which is all to say: BMH is a charmer and I'll be watching this again.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

I think the obvious solution to this is to introduce another atheist-leaning person down the road as part of the gang... someone who is atheist for intellectual rather than emotional reasons, and is pretty cool with other people believing otherwise as long as those people don't @ them all the time.

Rajesh or Jaz could fill this role, and the other could be someone who believes, just not in the Judeo-Christian God.  From what we've seen, Rajesh could be the intellectual atheist (or agnostic) and Jaz could be a follower of Ganesh (who seems to be the preferred God of college-educated Hindus).

• Love 3

I thought it was pretty solid as for a pilot. I loved Joan of Arcadia, wanted to love Saving Grace and couldn't get into Kevin Probably Saves the World. As usual with a God premise it will have to tread carefully to not drown in treacle but we'll see. I also decided to take the 'God in Jersey' thing as a shoutout to Dogma - which is a good sign in my book.

(I just have to get used to Joe Morton not being the worst Dad in the history of ever.)

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1