Type keyword(s) to search

Book versus Show: Book Talk

The book definitely did not have the subplot of the dad recruiting the coach specifically so the cheerleading squad could revitalize the town by winning a regional championship. It's been awhile since I read it but that for sure was not in the novel.

I just read the book this week, after watching the first 6 episodes of the show.  I liked it.  I like that the show made Beth and Tacy sisters, unlike the book.

Also, the show did a good job with the whole RiRi getting knocked in the teeth thing.  In the book, a character named Emily got hurt, but it wasn’t nearly as gruesome as the show injury.

Just finished the newest episode—last week’s promo promised a death this week— and was surprised they kept that the same as in the novel and

Spoiler

made Will the victim.  I feel like they didn’t develop his character enough in the show, as they did in the book, for anyone to care that much that he is dead

.  A lot of TV watchers aren’t as patient these days to wait 7 episodes for something to really happen and then on top of that, to make it exactly the same as it goes in the book, it surprised me.  I don’t mind, since I’m guessing season 2 will be the whole investigation and whatnot, provided it gets renewed.  But the show, in general, has been kind of slow, so far, as was the book.  

I will keep watching for sure, and hope it gets renewed.  Hell, I was so intrigued, it made me read the book before finishing the show I had already started, and I usually don’t do that. 

Edited by Miss Bones
TV show spoiler - not sure if tags necessary in book thread
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Watching the new ep from last night, and—Gotta say while book thoughts are still fresh for me—I am enjoying that the parents are involved in the story, with the TV show, whereas they are pretty nonexistent with the book.  (Can anybody out there who is still following this show read the book and talk to me about it please?!  Haha)

Addy in the book gets a note from her dad at some point, when she gets home, telling her dinner is in the microwave or something less than that.  In the show, she has no Dad, but a cop mother, who loves her for real, and is investigating the murder.  

I think the show is doing a good job of capturing the atmosphere of the novel , while making it more interesting and (like the novel can’t) making it visually pleasing, and dragging the storyline out for possibly more seasons.

Both the book and the show were slow, but they both drag it out in an artistic way.  The book drags it out with its prose, and the show with its cinematography.

• Love 4

Now that I just watched the Season Finale, I think they are doing a good job of prolonging the story, if it is renewed!  

Spoiler

It also seems like they are going the same route as the book, with Colette’s hubby being the one who came there and killed Will, while she was in the shower.  A big part of the book was Addy’s revelation that—when she got there—Coach’s hair was wet, and she knew that meant probably that she had showered there, not got there and found him dead. 

Can a mod clarify to me if I need to use spoiler tags in the book thread?  I know it’s kind of a dumb question, since reallly  any book talk is a spoiler, but saying who is the killer, I feel is questionable territory.  Just trying to be respectful.  Haha

Edited by Miss Bones
  • Love 3
On 3/2/2020 at 9:24 PM, Miss Bones said:

Watching the new ep from last night, and—Gotta say while book thoughts are still fresh for me—I am enjoying that the parents are involved in the story, with the TV show, whereas they are pretty nonexistent with the book.  (Can anybody out there who is still following this show read the book and talk to me about it please?!  Haha)

Addy in the book gets a note from her dad at some point, when she gets home, telling her dinner is in the microwave or something less than that.  In the show, she has no Dad, but a cop mother, who loves her for real, and is investigating the murder.  

I read this books a long time ago, and the parents were non-existent, save for Addy's dad who popped up from time to time. Since the show decided to forgo the book's choice to make Addy the only pov character, it makes sense that they included Beth mom, alongside  Beth and Tacy's dad, and RiRi's mom. They even hinted at a troubled relationship between Colette and her mom, and if the show gets a season two, I would like to see it explored. The best change show made was nixing Addy being the sole pov, Allowing Beth and to a lesser extent RiRi a chance really helped the show. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/6/2020 at 12:53 PM, xaxat said:

Now that the show has been canceled, can someone completely spoil me?

Spoiler

It was Matt, and the coach helped him cover it up. He's found out and goes to jail. Beth throws herself from the top of the pyramid during the last game of the year and is injured so bad she can't cheer. Coach confesses her part in all this to Addy (I think she just loses or quits her job and leaves town). I don't remember if she goes to jail too or not. (Read the book a long time ago and don't remember.) Addy ends up the new captain.

Edited by childeroland
Remembered another detail
  • Love 3
(edited)

Does the book give us a reason as to why Collette brought Addy into the whole murder mess at Will's apartment?  Or was it just because of her creepy predatory relationship with her and she just needed a ride home?  Did she try to implicate her in the murder or anything later on? 

And Addy's Mom found the bag with her cheer shoes hid in the closet; did that go anywhere in the book?

Edited by Cementhead
18 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Does the book give us a reason as to why Collette brought Addy into the whole murder mess at Will's apartment?  Or was it just because of her creepy predatory relationship with her and she just needed a ride home?  Did she try to implicate her in the murder or anything later on? 

And Addy's Mom found the bag with her cheer shoes hid in the closet; did that go anywhere in the book?

I think Collette just freaked out and wanted some help, like she told Addy. I don't remember about the shoes.

• Love 1