Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Unfit

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

More style over substance. People don't fly up into the air (in slo-mo, of course)and do some wacky acrobatics when shot, as though they're in the Matrix. They just drop like a sack of potatoes, but I guess that's not dramatic enough.

Yea I knew it was bullshit, unless of course Gilead had guns with so much power they can do that.

2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Didn't she say she was married? I thought that's what she told Noelle. 

Noelle asked her if she was ever married or something, and she said something vague about how their used to be someone in her life. Could mean she was divorced or I guess widowed or I guess just in a serious thing that never turned to marriage.

30 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Yea I knew it was bullshit, unless of course Gilead had guns with so much power they can do that.

Noelle asked her if she was ever married or something, and she said something vague about how their used to be someone in her life. Could mean she was divorced or I guess widowed or I guess just in a serious thing that never turned to marriage.

If she’d been divorced, wouldn’t that render her ineligible for any sort of position of status in Gilead?

• Love 2
Just now, Ceindreadh said:

If she’d been divorced, wouldn’t that render her ineligible for any sort of position of status in Gilead?

I'd think so.  Maybe she killed him.  Ha.

More likely,  he dumped her for her sister, and then she "accidentally" killed their baby.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Ceindreadh said:

Probably except the leaders of Gilead are nothing if not giant hypocrites. I could see them looking the other way especially for aunts just so they don't have to deal with lady stuff.

• Love 2
(edited)

Lots of good reviews out there about how this season, and this show is tanking. 

Yeah, I seriously doubt Aunt Lydia is divorced, or she'd be shoveling radioactive waste, or long dead from that.  Also?  I don't care, I'm sick of the endless focus on the oppressors, when we don't even know how Gilead works, after all this time, not a clue.

Edited by Umbelina
(edited)
On 7/16/2019 at 11:56 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

Of course I underestimated the colonies. Although it seems like unmarried women who aren't Aunts/Handmaids or Martha's would be a pretty significant portuon of the population. If Gilead is actually at war with the US then liberating some colonies would seem like a great way to boost the population of anti-Gilead people.

I also thought it was interesting that Lydia said she was with someone before but it didn't work out. Any guesses on what that meant? Divorced or just dumped? 

Also any guesses on where her school was? I saw some map that showed the whole US and said land of the free and I thought I saw something that said Golden Gate.

Lastly I am really surprised that we don't see more outbursts like OfMatthew's. I mean we have only really seen her, Emily and the woman who blew up the handmaid centre do anything. But you would think with the trauma these women experience and how effective fighting back seems to be (she killed a guard with a pickle jar!) it would be happening all the time. 

In both the books and the show there is a class of people called econo-people. The women are referred to as Econo-wives. In the books Handmaid's wear red, wives wear blue, Martha's wear green, and Econo-women wear all three colors because they serve all three roles.

Do you remember in season 2 when June was escaping? There was a black man that picked her up from the Boston Globe. That guy was an Econo person. His wife was an Econo woman.

Basically Gilead forces Econo women to live the lives they lived in the pre 1940s. They are basically forced out of the paid workforce.

The impression I've gotten is it would be an exaggeration to say the US is at war with Gilead. from what we've been shown of the US government in Anchorage they are more comparable to the government of Charles de Gaulle during world War II. they have been totally forced out of their country and are largely powerless. I think the resistance in US is largely independent from the government in Anchorage. They are like the French Resistance fighting the Vichy government/Nazi Germany.

The few times we've seen the US government they seem to have lost all military capabilities. To me this is the only logical way Gilead could exist. If you think about it killing every person in Congress wouldn't put you in control of the northeast of the United States. In the real world the US has continuation of government plans that include passing power to governors of states. the only plausible explanation of how the sons of Jacob established control over the US after attacking Congress is that they had cooperation within the US Military. I've always believed the only plausible explanation of Gilead is that it was largely a military coup that founded it. Eg. If the sons of Jacob had destroyed Congress without Military support then the hundreds of thousands of US troops stationed overseas would have been brought back to liberate the Northeast from them.

Also the resistance seems to lie entirely on guerrilla/asymmetric warfare tactics. Eg. Suicide bombings, creating improvised explosives but using former high school chemistry teachers.

To me this indicates that they don't have many conventional military assets. Eg. Main battle tanks, fighter jets, bombers, artillery, etc. 

Also also the US government in Anchorage has never attempted to recruit a military force among the American refugees.

Edited by CouchPotatoNoLife
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, CouchPotatoNoLife said:

In both the books and the show there is a class of people called econo-people. The women are referred to as Econo-wives. In the books Handmaid's wear red, wives wear blue, Martha's wear green, and Econo-women wear all three colors because they serve all three roles.

Do you remember in season 2 when June was escaping? There was a black man that picked her up from the Boston Globe. That guy was an Econo person. His wife was an Econo woman.

Basically Gilead forces Econo women to live the lives they lived in the pre 1940s. They are basically forced out of the paid workforce.

The impression I've gotten is it would be an exaggeration to say the US is at war with Gilead. from what we've been shown of the US government in Anchorage they are more comparable to the government of Charles de Gaulle during world War II. they have been totally forced out of their country and are largely powerless. I think the resistance in US is largely independent from the government in Anchorage. They are like the French Resistance fighting the Vichy government/Nazi Germany.

The few times we've seen the US government they seem to have lost all military capabilities. To me this is the only logical way Gilead could exist. If you think about it killing every person in Congress wouldn't put you in control of the northeast of the United States. In the real world the US has continuation of government plans that include passing power to governors of states. the only plausible explanation of how the sons of Jacob established control over the US after attacking Congress is that they had cooperation within the US Military. I've always believed the only plausible explanation of Gilead is that it was largely a military coup that founded it. Eg. If the sons of Jacob had destroyed Congress without Military support then the hundreds of thousands of US troops stationed overseas would have been brought back to liberate the Northeast from them.

Also the resistance seems to lie entirely on guerrilla/asymmetric warfare tactics. Eg. Suicide bombings, creating improvised explosives but using former high school chemistry teachers.

To me this indicates that they don't have many conventional military assets. Eg. Main battle tanks, fighter jets, bombers, artillery, etc. 

Also also the US government in Anchorage has never attempted to recruit a military force among the American refugees.

I knew about econo-wives/husbands but are there econo-single ladies? 

As for the military/the war I would love it if they gave more information about it. I mean for what's left of the US just controlling Hawaii that would give it a pretty sizable amount of military hardware and people. What are those guys doing? Especially if the US west coast is uninhabitable. 

So even in an episode where Janine has nothing to do with the plot, she *still* gets the shit beat out of her.  Why do the writers love to smack her around so much?  She's like the Kenny of this show.

• Love 2

Advanced issues found

On 7/10/2019 at 3:10 AM, AnswersWanted said:

Oh, and I forgot to mention another tidbit that stood out to me as a huge middle finger to us, the audience, from these writers. 

The round table Lydia held with her two hench women, they're discussing placements and Lydia says that one of the commander and wife couples won't take a "handmaid of color", and I about tossed my tablet in disgust. 

Oh so now, NOW, these mf-ers want to bring up color??

In "colorblind" Gilead, where the need for children from any and all fertile women of breeding age totally erased racism and bigotry, and everyone lives underneath the same goddamn rainbow wheel?!

Maybe it's to show that even Utopia can't remain Utopian?

Advanced issues found

On 7/10/2019 at 7:03 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

This episode was really dark, I did not see or hear that the baby died because the cord was wrapped around it's neck.  The writers could have had June go to the basinette and try some compressions on the baby's chest and bring it back, she would be untouchable (and even more insufferable) after that.

That's what I figured would happen. 

Honestly, I'm shocked that both baby and handmaid didn't die in that scene, or that they didn't do some non-anesthetized C-section. I'm surprised the baby managed to descend at all with what looked like at least a x2 nuchal cord.

I now think the asshole that sat behind me in English Lit in high school is a writer for this show with the whole explanation of no dick makes the bitches crazy. 

The whole underlying theme in season 1 is the debasing of women.  It is now evolved into making women charicatures.  

• Love 1
On 7/10/2019 at 12:26 AM, AnswersWanted said:

For christ sake on a wheat thin, Who ARE these writers

We could have at least seen her running into someone connected to the Sons of Jacob, like Nick did, or going to one of their meetings to find comfort and solace, or even getting a goddamn pamphlet, anything tying into the beginnings of Gilead. 

But no, none of that, just her getting no nooky and her whole world imploded, fantastic...

I'm convinced these writers must be some repressed and deluded incels with no concept of how women think or act.  It's the only reasonable explanation for why they've managed to re-write the hero of their story as someone we all reasonably detest and who is compelled to act completely illogically and with zero sense of self-preservation at every step.

• Love 2
On 7/19/2019 at 1:50 PM, CouchPotatoNoLife said:

Wait, this has not been made clear in the books or show? It seems pretty obvious to me that any coup of that scale requires military backing. Now the military may be divided, but they certainly had to have some serious pretty high up support to get to where they are. 

• Love 1