Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E13: Crane Wreck

• Start Topic

(edited)
11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Dammit Disco i said i never wanted too see Sig cry again.   Oh my heart broke for Sig.  Then the shot of Mandy just sitting there.

I really hope Mrs. Sig is all right.

Cable went out during the show, what happened to Sig's wife?

Edited by iluvobx
punctuation correction
1 hour ago, iluvobx said:

Cable went out during the show, what happened to Sig's wife?

He was talking to her on the phone at the end of the episode.  They diagnosed some type of cancer on/in her neck, and they didn't know all the information on whether it's something that did/could spread, etc.  He told her, "Tell me you want me there, and I will be there as quickly as I can."  He then did a voice-over saying that he could not go all the way north under the circumstances, with June's diagnosis.

There is also news on Mandy that I've not seen posted.

Spoiler

She miscarried on the boat - not sure exactly when.

• Love 1

Oh, the poor Hansens.  They've had a really rough stretch the last few years.  You KNEW Sig would make the right decision and stay close to port where he could get back and support his wife.   Now he has to walk up to the bridge and tell Mandy.  

The swinging pot on the Cornelia Marie was nightmarish, especially those two guys up on the walkway trying to get control of it.  The kid who got hit in the head, Tyler?, for heaven's sake he's probably got a concussion.  Is someone going to notice next episode that he has a blown pupil?   Casey could/should have evaluated that kid a bit better, but overall he showed AGAIN that he's the captain of that boat and the lump sitting in the other seat with the facial topiary is relief captain at best.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, terrymct said:

Oh, the poor Hansens.  They've had a really rough stretch the last few years.  You KNEW Sig would make the right decision and stay close to port where he could get back and support his wife.   Now he has to walk up to the bridge and tell Mandy.  

The swinging pot on the Cornelia Marie was nightmarish, especially those two guys up on the walkway trying to get control of it.  The kid who got hit in the head, Tyler?, for heaven's sake he's probably got a concussion.  Is someone going to notice next episode that he has a blown pupil?   Casey could/should have evaluated that kid a bit better, but overall he showed AGAIN that he's the captain of that boat and the lump sitting in the other seat with the facial topiary is relief captain at best.

Can you clarify - is this something we could see during the episode or is this something you suspect based on the injury and how he was acting?  I couldn't see well so if the pupil was shown I missed it.  Curious though if you did see it and it was easy for the viewers to see how could Casey standing right there not notice!  They (all the Captains) have always engaged in at sea first aid but some are better at it than others, I think a few of them or their deck hands even have basic first aid or EMT qualifications which certainly helps.  I'd agree though that Casey might be at the low end of those skills and "the lump" pretty much stood in the background for the whole thing.  Funny how when it hits the fan he often disappears, like with the crane issue on the previous episode he left the bridge instead of supporting Casey or actually going out to help the crew.

Poor Sig, and, of course, the whole family... the hits just keep on coming lately.  Hoping there's a light on that horizon, he's a tough guy but he's not a bad guy and I wouldn't wish the stress of blow after blow on anyone.  One or two emergencies and family issues is enough, one after, another after another with no break must be so stressful for everyone especially when you want to be with them but still have to find a way to fish and meet your quota.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Can you clarify - is this something we could see during the episode or is this something you suspect based on the injury and how he was acting?  I couldn't see well so if the pupil was shown I missed it.  Curious though if you did see it and it was easy for the viewers to see how could Casey standing right there not notice!  They (all the Captains) have always engaged in at sea first aid but some are better at it than others, I think a few of them or their deck hands even have basic first aid or EMT qualifications which certainly helps.  I'd agree though that Casey might be at the low end of those skills and "the lump" pretty much stood in the background for the whole thing.  Funny how when it hits the fan he often disappears, like with the crane issue on the previous episode he left the bridge instead of supporting Casey or actually going out to help the crew.

A blown pupil, one that's dilated when the other is not is a sign of increased pressure inside the skull.  It's a sign people tend to look for in a head injury.  No, I didn't see it on the show.  Just with a whack to the head from a swinging pot, there's an excellent chance that kid has at least a concussion.

There is a legal requirement for a commercial fishing boat to have safety training, depending on the number of crew people on the boat and where they're fishing.  First aid and CPR training are required if there are more than two people on board (46 C.F.R. § 28.210).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/28.210

• Love 1
5 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

must be so stressful for everyone especially when you want to be with them but still have to find a way to fish and meet your quota.

Because that's how you pay the bills to care for your family.   You want to be with them through the tough times, but you know you also have to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.    At least Sig can turn the boat over to He Who Shall Not Be Seen.    That's gotta help some to have his daughter and his brothers on the boat.   It's not just him alone, he does have family.    

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Because that's how you pay the bills to care for your family.   You want to be with them through the tough times, but you know you also have to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.    At least Sig can turn the boat over to He Who Shall Not Be Seen.    That's gotta help some to have his daughter and his brothers on the boat.   It's not just him alone, he does have family.    

Voldedgar????

• LOL 3

A head injury of any kind can be tricky.  You can have a slight brain bleed without any outward sign, and that can progress into something quite problematic.  Put some ice on it and hit the deck isn't the ideal response, but hey, it's Bering Sea crabbers, dontcha know.

I feel terrible for the Hansens.  I do hope all is well with June.

• Love 1

Hope June got the medical care necessary and is doing well.

Anybody else want to yell when Josh sits up in the wheelhouse (next to Casey) sad tromboning about how much the deckhands are hurting, breaking ice, when he could very easily go out and help?  Sure, he goes out for  what he presumably sees as a sorting "scene", but when exhausted men are working hard to save his ass from sinking, he doesn't go out?

I was never a Time Bandit fan, but Jonathan or Andy would have been out there.

• Love 3
(edited)

As the president of the "Not Impressed With Josh Harris" club, I was kind of wishing he'd been sitting in his little "co-pilot" seat when that crab pot was swing back and forth, hitting the window.  THEN we might have seen Josh outside knocking the ice off of the rails - on the OTHER side of the boat, away from any immediate danger.

Either that, or he'd have assigned the greenhorn to clean the (youknowwhat) off his co-pilot seat.  Because he'd have soiled himself for sure.

I did respect Casey for taking command:  "I don't want to hear any other sound but my voice, and you need to do EXACTLY as I say."  When something like that is going on, it's not time for a committee meeting.  The man is charge has to take charge and fix it.

No problem with any potential input from Josh . . . he was probably playing video games in his cabin.

Edited by AZChristian
Typo
  • Love 5

So many time machine edits.  Winter, and then not so much as a speck of ice or snowflake to be found, and then more Winter shots.  Elsa defied physics, y'all!

It was so unclear, purposefully, as to which F/Vs ere going with the pack, or were striking out on their own.  Keith's narration seemed very misleading on this point.  Disco made it sound like it took some special and generational wisdom to find the crab.  His screen was full of strings and vessels depicted.  

The Brenna arc was weirdly truncated, imo.  My guess is they didn't want to try very hard to manufacture draaaaama, so we got what we got.

Sincere wishes to the Hansens for good health.

• Love 1
On 7/14/2019 at 1:17 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

So many time machine edits.  Winter, and then not so much as a speck of ice or snowflake to be found, and then more Winter shots.  Elsa defied physics, y'all!

The build up of ice on a boat depended on how far north they were.  The boats that stayed south and away from the Russian line didn't get the build up.  

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, terrymct said:

The build up of ice on a boat depended on how far north they were.  The boats that stayed south and away from the Russian line didn't get the build up.  

The very same boats were shown with/without ice.  Keith famously went there and left.  Yet, we saw the Wizard covered in white. 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The very same boats were shown with/without ice.  Keith famously went there and left.  Yet, we saw the Wizard covered in white. 

Yes, at different parts of his trip.

8 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Not to mention the status of the manscaping on Josh's beard.

It miraculous how during the course of a trip that the other men all seem to get haggard looking and unkempt, yet Josh is fresh as a daisy and exceptionally yet simultaneously unfortunately well groomed.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, terrymct said:

It miraculous how during the course of a trip that the other men all seem to get haggard looking and unkempt, yet Josh is fresh as a daisy and exceptionally yet simultaneously unfortunately well groomed.

Oooooh.  I like you.  Would you like to fill out an application to be the vice president of the "Not a Fan of Josh Harris" club?????

• Love 3
(edited)
23 minutes ago, terrymct said:

Yes, at different parts of his trip.

Indeed.  And we got montages well after the part of the trip the Wizard was way North with the F/V iced over.  

While I'm at it, remember how the NWS insisted in a forecast product that there can be no "rogue" wave with Elsa because everyone is being forewarned there are gonna be ridiculous seas?  Mike Rowe intoned how a "rogue wave" struck the Wizard.  Disco gonna Disco.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1