Type keyword(s) to search

S01: Week 1: July 9, 2019-July 12, 2019

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

The competitions are meaningless, except that sometimes they’re geared toward exposing the couples. That was the point of the luggage challenge, to expose some secrets. Eventually the winning couple is selected at the end by the fans (I guess on the app). 

Thanks for the reply.  I guess that means it will end up being a popularity contest, and the contestants know that.  So all the contestants need to do is give the audience the romantic storyline we want, whether it's heartfelt or not.  Sigh...I'm taking this too seriously--it's a summer romp; nobody is coming on this show for happily ever afters.  They're here for paychecks and instagram followers.  Fair enough.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, sphoebus31 said:

When they had the Commando Competition this week, I thought we were finally getting somewhere, moving towards some goal.  But then, the competition was meaningless.  Did anyone gain any game advantage from it? 

I guess this only ended up with the moral being male twerking is a criminally underappreciated as it failed to 'save' Michael from going home.

I'd also like to point out that the 'fun' of it for Elizabeth apparently was that they had the paint balloons and she was so proud of her accuracy rate when aiming for the guy's groins.

4 hours ago, Stan39 said:

What is the point of this show?

That one is a slippery slope. Heh. As others have mentioned 'Internet Fame' is probably the best 'prize' they can win. Beside the sure to be odd real 'winners'.

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Theoretically, it looks like it shifts between the men choosing and then the women choosing, depending on who's outnumbered, but since it does all look pretty staged, I think probably no.

If it's like the other versions than it does shift between the men and woman. Whoever does the choosing has to stay with that partner until there is another re-coupling.

On the Australian version girl 1 was with guy 1 until a recoupling ceremony and girl 2 chose guy 1 (he told her he was interested). Girl 2 and guy 1 feel in tv love. Girl 1 felt betrayed and weeks later when she got to choose first picked guy 1 to get back at them. 

I wish they started at age 25 ago. Caro looks very very young without her make-up. There are plenty of 30+ people that look very hot in a little to no clothes and the plus side is that they also can be more desperate to be in a relationship which means more drama.

Edited by xfuse
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, xfuse said:

If it's like the other versions than it does shift between the men and woman. Whoever does the choosing has to stay with that partner until there is another re-coupling.

On the Australian version girl 1 was with guy 1 until a recoupling ceremony and girl 2 chose guy 1 (he told her he was interested). Girl 2 and guy 1 feel in tv love. Girl 1 felt betrayed and weeks later when she got to choose first picked guy 1 to get back at them. 

I wish they started at age 25 ago. Caro looks very very young without her make-up. There are plenty of 30+ people that look very hot in a little to no clothes and the plus side is that they also can be more desperate to be in a relationship which means more drama.

I don’t think this show wants relationships, it’s just a summer binge watch of hot people in bathing suits. This season on the U.K. version they’ve been consistently voting off couples in favor of single people who matched up just because they’ll friends. It’s a popularity contest. The show just wants to get people together then break them up then do it over again. 

And for those confused about the rules of coupling, once somebody is picked you can’t choose that person (so two girls can’t pick Dylan). But, at this point if somebody is coupled up with somebody but likes someone else more they can just go sleep in the daybed or living room. You can’t officially “sleep together” in the bedroom until you’re a couple, but that doesn’t mean you can’t sleep elsewhere. The only real significance to who you’re coupled with comes down to fan voting. And, obviously, you’d like to sleep in the main room with someone you actually like. 

• Useful 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, xfuse said:

I wish there were so many shows like this.  I actually think it would be LESS drama, because the older I get the less I care about anything, but man, it would be interesting to see if your theory pans out.

3 hours ago, Stan39 said:

I don’t think this show wants relationships, it’s just a summer binge watch of hot people in bathing suits. This season on the U.K. version they’ve been consistently voting off couples in favor of single people who matched up just because they’ll friends. It’s a popularity contest.

So fans simply vote based on who they like?  And the people on the show must know this.  So they're TRYING to be likeable?  That's interesting.

Trying to find love or actually be in a romantic relationship doesn't really hold any weight then.  Unless, that's what fans specifically want to vote for.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

So fans simply vote based on who they like?  And the people on the show must know this.  So they're TRYING to be likeable?  That's interesting.

I think they only voted for the winner on the Aussie show and maybe one eviction. They were allowed to pair back up with the same person. It didn't have to be someone different.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Rewatching now

Zac's exact words were "That gives me a pitty stomach feeling."

I think he meant like, resembling a pit.  "Pit-ty".  Not "pity".  But yeah, that would be funny.

A funny thing about this show is the women like Mallory saying "Why did you ask me on a date?" all blushing and flattered.

The women DO know that it's a function of the show and that the guys were forced to ask two women on dates, right?

Maybe she meant "Why did you ask ME on the date?" but she didn't emphasize "me" so I found it really funny, as if it was totally Dylan's choice and doing.

Another thing that seems staged is the audience vote.  The audience vote worked out way too perfectly to give Caro and Alexandra the dates with the new guys.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
(edited)

Wow, I missed a lot on Friday.

Cormac's speech about how he approaches dating like a job because he's been doing it since he was 16.  LOL.  I wasn't even mad at that.  It was entertaining.

Michael endeared himself to me by being the best at the stripping.

Dylan looked hot all covered in paint.  I rewound some parts I probably shouldn't have.

Alana is so cute but I agree too inexperienced for the show.  Probably goes the same for most of them.

Kira is beautiful.  It's nice that she acknowledges Cashel is a big weirdo and likes it.  LOL.

I would prefer Zac to put product in his hair. 

I appreciated that Michael was honest and basically told Caro he's not into her, but yeah, that doesn't help him stay in the game.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Last week they brought in one new female and the guys got to choose who they wanted to pair up with --then they brought in 2 new guys and the females got to choose their pairs.

I guess we'll know tonight or tomorrow whether they'll repeat that pattern this week, or switch it out...

I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to know which are the two best nights to watch, since I'm only willing to commit 2 hours a week to this thing. Fridays seem like one of the ones to see since it involves the re-coupling, but I don't know which other day to watch, or if it makes a difference. If anyone watched the UK version, can you give me any idea at all? Is there any sort of pattern to the days?

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Etta Place said:

I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to know which are the two best nights to watch, since I'm only willing to commit 2 hours a week to this thing.

Either the day before the re-coupling or the day after. That seems to be the most drama filled days.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Etta Place said:

I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to know which are the two best nights to watch, since I'm only willing to commit 2 hours a week to this thing. Fridays seem like one of the ones to see since it involves the re-coupling, but I don't know which other day to watch, or if it makes a difference. If anyone watched the UK version, can you give me any idea at all? Is there any sort of pattern to the days?

If it follows the UK version, the day after is usually pretty good. Typically something shocking happens at the recoupling (either an odd pairing or a twist). Then the next episode deals with the fallout. There are going to be a bunch of fun twists throughout but they usually aren’t predictable. IMO 

• Love 3

After watching the clip that showed how many times the word "like" is uttered, I immediately thought of Judge Judy and her dislike for "filler" words such as: like, obviously, and basically. Don't young adults realize that the overuse of words such as "like" make them appear simple-minded? It's as though their vocabulary is so limited, they rely on these filler words to buy them time as they struggle to find another word to insert into their conversation. And, of course, it is usually a failed attempt. In hindsight, I suppose Love Island isn't looking for contestants who have plain appearances, but minds filled with academics.

• Useful 1
On 7/15/2019 at 10:48 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I appreciated that Michael was honest and basically told Caro he's not into her, but yeah, that doesn't help him stay in the game.

I will be surprised if Caro could find a match with anyone. She is SO loud and flitty, needing to be at the center of anything. Poor thing, I don't know if it's natural, but she reminds me of a stork, with her skinny legs, small butt, and huge breasts. I keep waiting for her to teeter over. She might want to look into breast reduction because I am positive her bra straps cut in to her shoulders. If she intentionally made her bosom this big... why? It does not suit her.

• Love 1

Thank you for sharing the AGT clip of Kira. Seeing her at 16, and seeing her on Love Island, shows she hasn't changed her look that much. Thank goodness. Great clip. I am going to watch Kira more closely now, as I assume she's a gal who knows exactly what she wants.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:08 AM, alexa said:

I found most of them somewhat decent and not horribly annoying for this type of show.  Usually they are already catty and aggressive from the beginning, and so far this group is pretty restrained.

Who produces Love Island and has he/she produced any other shows? I think we'll be able to figure out the show's format based upon the producers' history with other shows. I am with you in that, so far, they are not unwatchable.

• Love 2