Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Cincinnati City Qualifiers

• Start Topic

Scheduled for tonight: Jesse Labreck, Grant McCartney, Ethan Swanson, Michelle Warnky, Mike Bernado, Drew Lachey. Yes, the guy from 98 Degrees. Maybe because of the term "lachey"?

My Speculation: Cincinnati Bengals cheerleaders, University of Cincinnati cheerleaders, Cincinnati Reds mascot, and maybe something resembling Fiona the hippo. So cute, you guys.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wish good luck to everyone competing - except Grant McCartney.  He is annoying, and I hope he falls early so I am forced to sit through as few of his dance moves as possible.

I tried to feel anything other than annoyed at Mike Bernardo's sob story and I just can't.  Can't exactly fault him for reacting how he did, but I don't see anything "heroic" about him.  I work with patients who ARE diagnosed with serious neurological disorders and he is very much middle of pack in terms of how people react. 

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Scheduled for tonight: Jesse Labreck, Grant McCartney, Ethan Swanson, Michelle Warnky, Mike Bernado, Drew Lachey. Yes, the guy from 98 Degrees. Maybe because of the term "lachey"?

My Speculation: Cincinnati Bengals cheerleaders, University of Cincinnati cheerleaders, Cincinnati Reds mascot, and maybe something resembling Fiona the hippo. So cute, you guys.

Akbar does seem to like the word "lachey"...

I love Fiona! I so want to see a Fiona Ninja now.

• Love 1

Dang, Tyler Yama . . . "Muscle Ball" just went out early. Maybe it was bad luck for his family to bring out the drums seen in The Karate Kid Part II.

26 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I wish good luck to everyone competing - except Grant McCartney.  He is annoying, and I hope he falls early so I am forced to sit through as few of his dance moves as possible.

I'm good with him. I inflict stuff like The Challenge on myself, so a dude with funny hair and dance moves doesn't bug me.

Helluva comeback for Mike Bernardo

• Love 1
(edited)

Sorry to see Tyler Yamauchi fall.   He is fun to watch.

This next guy, Twait, looks so much like a guy I went to school with... though young enough to be my friend's son.   Good to see the cat boy win.  Cats rule, dogs drool. (c) 😋

Ironic to see the man with the last name Maurer defeated by the megawall. (it means "wall-builder" in German)

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

"The corn got creamed...aw, shuck."

Akbar should feel bad for that one.

I don't think that Akbar ever feels bad for the puns. It's part of what makes him fun.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Cool that Jesse LaBreck got the buzzer!  I really like her.  And I am sure she (and all their friends) won't let Chris DiGangi live it down that she beat him. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

Best part of the episode: Grant McCartney’s shaking his head in disgust and walking away during the post run interview

Aw, man, I missed it.

I fast-forwarded through all of his pre-run and post-run stuff, just watched the actual run (and he was surprisingly focused during the run itself).  What did he scoff at? 

Feh. No Fiona.

This Twait kid has a high ceiling. Also: an unfortunate last name. He hung in there with Swanson at the Power Tower.

Drew Lachey . . . his brother was the one married to Jessica Simpson, right? Or was that him? I'd look it up, but that would involve caring that much.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Drew Lachey . . . his brother was the one married to Jessica Simpson, right? Or was that him? I'd look it up, but that would involve caring that much.

I was asking myself the same thing, with the same DGAF result.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Correct!  Drew competed on—and won—Dancing With The Stars.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

Best part of the episode: Grant McCartney’s shaking his head in disgust and walking away during the post run interview

I wonder if they edited something. I’m on the west coast & they just showed it. He was pleasant, & then danced like an idiot for a few minutes. No head shake or walk away. 

• Love 2

I was happy to see Grant do well.  He's always nice to other ninjas and always roots hard for them, although he is a bit goofy and extreme.  

Too many finishers in WWWA for my liking.  Great to see so many women doing well, though - we didn't even need a "women's top five," I don't think.  Flex is amazing.  I could have done without all of the fuss about Chris "putting a ring on it," though.

I cannot imagine completely the course after hitting my head, either.  Huge props to Michelle Warnky.  I hope she's okay.

Anyone know what happened to Nicholas Coolridge?  He seems to have seriously offended someone, because in his first season, he was everywhere, but now, not so much.  I also don't remember how Tianna Webberley did this time.  

• Love 4

I was happy to see Flex and Michelle Warnke do well as I like both of them.  I also liked the lunch lady but I can't watch the standings and Akbar's silly top 3 at the same time so I didn't see if she got far enough to go on.  

Jackson Twait looks like he may be one to watch.  His being unknown and doing so well right out of the gate reminded me of the first time we saw Daniel Gil.

I like Zuri.  I guess she's been around on other shows but I'd never seen her before.  I never cared for Kristine so I'm glad Zuri has replaced her.  

• Love 6
(edited)

I think the lunch lady made it. I can’t be sure; I have the same issue as you with Akbar’s silly list. Plus I don’t remember her name. One of the only things I don’t like about this show is you have to have a weird name, a t shirt to go with it, & a story (which has to change continuously - sorry Flex, you need something new; get engaged) in order to be featured. It ends up seeming fake. And it makes them brutal with the WWWAs. 

Thats a thing I liked about Twait. His “thing” was literally “I like my cat”

Edited by heckkitty
  • Love 6

Yes, the lunch lady made it.  Her name is Amanda O'Dell, and she was the 29th finisher.  Jeri D'Angelio made it, too.  She was 30th.  We had four women in the top 30!

• Love 7

I am so freakin' proud of Jackson Twait the Cat Dad. My small Iowa city got a ninja gym last fall. This year both of our local ANW competitors hit city qualifier buzzers (the other was Scott Behrends in Tacoma). My friend and I met Jackson at the gym one time and he was encouraging and gave us bouldering-wall advice. I hope he and/or Scott goes far and represents for our town and state!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

It wasn't Grant; it was his father. Grant and Zuri started dancing at the end of the interview and Dad, who was standing next to Grant during the interview, shook his head and walked away. I guess he isn't into the dancing.

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked the lunch lady too!  I hope she does well in the finals (though given the caliber of women in Cincinnati it would be hard for her to make it to Vegas), though I am sure the kids at her school will be super excited to see her in the fall.  

I always root for people who have regular everyday jobs on this show - those who are trainers/professional ninjas have an edge already.

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

It wasn't Grant; it was his father. Grant and Zuri started dancing at the end of the interview and Dad, who was standing next to Grant during the interview, shook his head and walked away. I guess he isn't into the dancing.

Yep that is what I meant.  Was not paying attention when I hit submit

• Love 1
(edited)

That one guy's gimmick was that he had a lot of cousins? … okay then. 

Yamauchi, y u do this to me? 😭

I identified strongly with that Tamara Kirk girl because that's exactly what would happen to me on a ninja course. 

I didn't like Grant at first (and I still think Island Ninja is a stupid name), but he's kinda grown on me. I surprised myself by being happy he finished. 

Aw. My cat's my best friend too, Jackson! ❤️ I'm so glad he did well!

11 hours ago, heckkitty said:

Thats a thing I liked about Twait. His “thing” was literally “I like my cat”🤣

LOL if there's one backstory I can get behind, it's that one. 

16 hours ago, Hellga said:

I tried to feel anything other than annoyed at Mike Bernardo's sob story and I just can't.

That's exactly how I felt tbh. Glad I'm not alone. 😄 

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 5

I cant believe they completely excluded Ian Dory from the broadcast! He has a huge record. And no Brian Arnold at all. In fact, I havent heard the word "Wolfpack" even once this year, not even when Megan ran. I know they annoyed a lot of people but it makes me wonder if they somehow pissed NBC off...

Ethan Swanson on the slingshot! Wow.

Happy for Michelle, Jessie, Grant, Jerri, and Mike Bernardo, even though his sob story was a bit heavy handed. And I see that Flip's girlfriend made the top five despite falling on the spinning bridge. Hopefully she's actually a lot better than we saw and was just having an off-run. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, SophiaD said:

I cannot imagine completely the course after hitting my head, either.  Huge props to Michelle Warnky.  I hope she's okay.

There was a guy a few years ago who did the same thing (I think it was on the flywheel). Whacked himself in the head and finished with blood streaming down his face. Got me wondering if there's any kind of cleaning protocol they need to follow when someone is bleeding on the course like that.

8 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

That makes more sense. Grant always seems so laid back about everything.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Nonja said:

I cant believe they completely excluded Ian Dory from the broadcast! He has a huge record. And no Brian Arnold at all. In fact, I havent heard the word "Wolfpack" even once this year, not even when Megan ran. I know they annoyed a lot of people but it makes me wonder if they somehow pissed NBC off...

While I’m thinking about it . . . is Isaac competing this year?

(edited)
51 minutes ago, Nonja said:

Hey that's right, I didn't even remember Ian! From the original Wolfpack only Ian and Meagan are competing this year (or so I understand), so maybe they just haven't deemed it necessary to mention it. 

e: Still doesn't explain cutting Ian off completely, though.

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

While I’m thinking about it . . . is Isaac competing this year?

He ran and failed on the balance obstacle, I think, in one of the earlier cities.... can't remember the details, though.

1 minute ago, Hellga said:

He ran and failed on the balance obstacle, I think, in one of the earlier cities.... can't remember the details, though.

I think you're remembering last year. I don't even think his name has been mentioned this year.

So I watched the show with my kids on Dvr and got to say was pretty upset when I saw the one they call the swan who won.  Why would you show someone who risk his life hanging off bridges and jumping off roof tops for attention. Kids watch this show and I’m sure some will think if he can do it then so can I. And what do you say as producers of the show to the family of the kid that ends up getting hurt or killed. He should be ashamed of himself and the show as well should never show someone who obviously has no regard for his own life. Anything to become famous. What a terrible role model!

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Stlfirefighter64 said:

Why would you show someone who risk his life hanging off bridges and jumping off roof tops for attention. Kids watch this show and I’m sure some will think if he can do it then so can I. And what do you say as producers of the show to the family of the kid that ends up getting hurt or killed. 

I had the same thought when watching him.  

• Love 1

I could have done without all of the fuss about Chris "putting a ring on it," though.

Me too but you knew they weren't going to leave this alone.  I think they're the first show-based engagement and NBC probably paid for the ring! (I"m only being slightly facetious there.)

Ian Dory is usually consistent and not an egocentric douchebag - - so, alas, he doesn't get much screen time.  He was always the most tolerable of that group.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Stlfirefighter64 said:

So I watched the show with my kids on Dvr and got to say was pretty upset when I saw the one they call the swan who won.  Why would you show someone who risk his life hanging off bridges and jumping off roof tops for attention. Kids watch this show and I’m sure some will think if he can do it then so can I. And what do you say as producers of the show to the family of the kid that ends up getting hurt or killed. He should be ashamed of himself and the show as well should never show someone who obviously has no regard for his own life. Anything to become famous. What a terrible role model!

But it said, "Do not attempt" on the screen. I'm sure kids will follow that admonition. /sarcasm

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Stlfirefighter64 said:

It was incredibly irresponsible, both Swanny and especially the network.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Nonja said:

Ethan Swanson on the slingshot! Wow.

Happy for Michelle, Jessie, Grant, Jerri, and Mike Bernardo, even though his sob story was a bit heavy handed. And I see that Flip's girlfriend made the top five despite falling on the spinning bridge. Hopefully she's actually a lot better than we saw and was just having an off-run. 

I don't believe Brian Arnold competed this year.  Ian Dory's run wasn't shown at all.  According to the American Ninja Warrior site, Ian fell during Spinning Balls.  American  Ninja Warriors veterans Abel Gonzalez, Brett Sims, and Ian Dory didn't get any airtime.  But unqualified, untrained, and out of shape contestants were shown failing miserably.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Stlfirefighter64 said:

I had the same thought.  It was reckless to give him a package to show that he does stunts 30 feet off the ground without safety equipment.  Sure, tell people to "not try this at home", that always works.  That's why people end up in traction after trying to jump off their garages.  Just don't give the man package time if he can't come up with anything better to talk about.

I was glad Grant bit a buzzer.  He's had a couple of crappy years and has resorted to being a day player/ cheerleader for his friends.  Glad to see him focus more and get it done...with some cash to boot.

9 hours ago, Stlfirefighter64 said:
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Necromancer said:

I don't believe Brian Arnold competed this year.  Ian Dory's run wasn't shown at all.  According to the American Ninja Warrior site, Ian fell during Spinning Balls.  American  Ninja Warriors veterans Abel Gonzalez, Brett Sims, and Ian Dory didn't get any airtime.  But unqualified, untrained, and out of shape contestants were shown failing miserably.

I have some vague recollection of Able Gonzalez being a WWWA.

4 hours ago, Necromancer said:

I don't believe Brian Arnold competed this year.

You're correct. He said on IG that he's having a break this year. 

10 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

I have some vague recollection of Able Gonzalez being a WWWA.

It said somewhere (maybe Sasukepedia) that he was cut from the broadcast. ☹️

I am bummed so many veterans are getting the WWWA treatment! I can't believe they didn't show Ian Dory! What?!? I keep ignoring the Gbajamia-moments and look at the list of who qualified instead, but I must have missed it. I really wish they would just show the list of qualifiers full screen. I don't need to see the "moments" - I just saw it for pete's sake! Bring back the POM wonderful run instead.......

I am sorry, but Chris and Jessie are not a ninja "power couple". I never saw him or heard of him until he started dating her. She is definitely one of the top elite women, but he seems pretty mediocre. The only reason he started getting screen time was because of her.

Yay Michele Warnky!!!!!!!!

I go back and forth about Island Ninja because he is such an attention hog, but I was happy he stopped messing around and just got through the course. I'm glad he got up the Mega Wall - he needed that to restore his cred.......

My husband and I also thought Ethan Swanson's training is dangerous and stupid. One mistake and it's over. Just dumb. Also, the bird flapping makes no sense for a swan - I think of them more gliding in the water than flying. I always think the flapping would work better for Najee the Phoenix.......

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

I am sorry, but Chris and Jessie are not a ninja "power couple". I never saw him or heard of him until he started dating her. She is definitely one of the top elite women, but he seems pretty mediocre. The only reason he started getting screen time was because of her.

I'm glad they don't focus so much on their relationship. They made such a big deal of Kacy Catanzaro and Brent Steffenson that it got annoying. I like both Jessie and Chris; I think they're a cute couple and I'm happy for them. I don't want the show to make them annoying. If he were a bigger "name" on his own like Brent they probably would have ruined it by now.

(I was amused a while ago when I caught Jessie's run on an episode from an earlier season and the boyfriend on the sidelines was a different guy. I wonder if that guy still watches the show.)

• Love 2