Type keyword(s) to search

The Land That Time Forgot: TV Shows That Haven't Aired In A Long Time

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, Egg McMuffin said:

How do you embed videos in posts? I’ve searched for about 15 min and haven’t been able to figure it out.

If you paste the URL to a YouTube video in the text of your response,  it'll automatically convert to an embedded video unless you tell it to stay as a link (a pop up will ask).

The shows I'm nostalgic for were shows I watched in France that I can't find here. There was a teen show that was called As If or something like that which was an addictive YA show. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Pretty ironic as well the name of this show for this thread 😁

That theme freaked me out so much as a kid. It's still kind of uneasy to listen to...😸

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Jaded said:

That theme freaked me out so much as a kid. It's still kind of uneasy to listen to...😸

Even now I watched one of the older shows on YouTube….  I thought maybe growing up now I’d find the whole show and story recreations on the funny side….   It was still pretty suspenseful 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Anyone remember this weird cartoon? In our city they showed it on Sunday morning when there was nothing else good on.

I thought I was imagining it but yes, I do remember watching it.  Couldn't tell you anything about it other than the name though!

• Like 1

I’d come from school in the 90s and recall on Nickelodeon the Alvin and the Chipmunks 80s cartoon.  Britney and the chipettes got introduced later on on it.   I was a big fan in the day.  

That’s why when the movies came out the kid in me got pretty excited but IMO they were terrible.  The show worked like a lot better when they were cartoons vs life life figures 

• Like 8

I was surprised to learn that this show only had 28 episodes over two seasons. I had one big Pound Puppy plush and a few of the smaller ones from Hardee's back then. This is the 2nd season opening which is the one I've always remembered more than the first one.

See if you recognize the actor at the end of this PP commercial. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 6
21 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I’d come from school in the 90s and recall on Nickelodeon the Alvin and the Chipmunks 80s cartoon.  Britney and the chipettes got introduced later on on it.   I was a big fan in the day.  

That’s why when the movies came out the kid in me got pretty excited but IMO they were terrible.  The show worked like a lot better when they were cartoons vs life life figures 

I loved that cartoon. They were so hilarious. They did a movie with them back in the 90s where the Chipmunks and Chipettes race around the world against each other that was pretty good. I love all the characters. Simon's sarcasm, Theo's sweet, Alvin's crazy, Brittney was a perfect match for Alvin. They were both trouble. But fun to watch.

• Like 6

Babar the cartoon from the early 90s in HBO

Dennis the Menace cartoon from the early 90s

Doug from that time period as well.  Matter of fact I liked Snick on Nickelodeon on Saturday nights.  I forgot what shows were on it though.  Salute your Shorts?  Tales from the Dark?

At any rate the early 90s were the bomb.  

• Like 5
2 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Oh, wow, yeah, the "Dennis the Menace" cartoon! I remember watching that when I was a kid! And "Babar", too. 

Doug from that time period as well.  Matter of fact I liked Snick on Nickelodeon on Saturday nights.  I forgot what shows were on it though.  Salute your Shorts?  Tales from the Dark?

From what I remember, SNICK's lineup consisted of "Clarissa Explains it All", "Roundhouse", "Ren & Stimpy", and "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" I want to say "Secret World of Alex Mack" was part of that lineup at one point, too? I definitely remember "Salute Your Shorts", but I don't know if that one was part of SNICK. Good show, though :).

Another favorite that wasn't part of SNICK but which I also liked watching: "The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo". 

• Like 6

OK, I know it sometimes gets rerun during odd hours on game show channels, however, I really wish that the classic 1970's version of To Tell the Truth would get more airing. Back then, they had some rather intriguing guests who'd get quizzed by clever, entertaining and razor-sharp panelists such as Peggy Cass, Kitty Carlisle and Joe Garigiola with the always cool but cozy host Gary Moore presiding! Miss Cass was often the shrewdest despite usually playing ditzy characters and Miss Carlisle was an interesting combination of genteel yet friendly and genuinely curious about others.

One of the best episodes had to do with an undercover decoy police officer who dressed in heavy disguise to try to catch muggers and robbers as well as hope to deter other would-be assaulters. Anyway, the two imposters (playing an alcoholic derelict with badly slurred speech and on old suited man on crutches who sounded hoarse, respectively) were revealed to be Joe Garigiola, Jr. and Kitty Carlisle's son Christopher Hart- with neither of their respective parents or any other panelist having recognized their offspring in their 20's before the big reveals!  Yep, both the panelists collapsed into shocked hysterics at the reveals. It was especially funny to think that Joe, Sr. had responded to one of Joe,Jr.'s answers with 'You've got a hockey puck stuck in your mouth!'

• Like 6
On 4/8/2023 at 5:04 PM, Annber03 said:

Another favorite that wasn't part of SNICK but which I also liked watching: "The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo". 

Finally, someone else liked this show. I really enjoyed it, yet so many of my friends couldn't stand it and I could never understand why.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Popples said:

Finally, someone else liked this show. I really enjoyed it, yet so many of my friends couldn't stand it and I could never understand why.

Aw, that's a shame. I thought it was a cute show! I wanted to have a computer like hers and everything, and I thought she was really cool :D. 

• Like 2
On 4/8/2023 at 3:04 PM, Annber03 said:

Oh, wow, yeah, the "Dennis the Menace" cartoon! I remember watching that when I was a kid! And "Babar", too. 

From what I remember, SNICK's lineup consisted of "Clarissa Explains it All", "Roundhouse", "Ren & Stimpy", and "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" I want to say "Secret World of Alex Mack" was part of that lineup at one point, too? I definitely remember "Salute Your Shorts", but I don't know if that one was part of SNICK. Good show, though :).

I loved Clarissa Explains it All I finally found it on a channel but it only aired a few episodes before taking it off. Too bad it was fun to watch.

• Like 4
On 3/25/2023 at 7:43 PM, BlueSkies said:

Behind The Music was interesting even for lesser known artists

On 3/25/2023 at 9:06 PM, Annber03 said:

Yes! Didn't matter whether I was a fan of the artist in question or not, I still watched because they made every artist's story fascinating and compelling.

Allow me to send you on a YouTube binge-watch then (with links below)

Todd in the Shadows is a music reviewer, with a focus on the pop scene.  However, he also has a couple of series with Behind The Music vibes to them. 

One is called "One Hit Wonderland" where he looks at artists known (in the US at least) as one-hit wonders.  Those episodes are in 4 parts; starting the artist's career/life before the big hit, followed by a review of the hit in question, then a look at the career post-hit, including attempted follow-up releases (which may include songs that are big hits in other countries).  They end with an op-ed on whether or not Todd thinks the artist deserved better than just the one hit.

He's also got a series called  "TrainWreckords", where he looks at albums that are considered to be the one that "ended" an artist's career.  Those have a similar format; the first part is a summary of the artist's career before the album in question, then a song-by-song review of the album (generally) with a focus on the singles from it.  There might also be a look into the behind-the-scenes stuff in the cases of bands with multiple big personalities (Metallica, Motley Crue), and a brief look at the post-album career.

Since he's a YouTuber, Todd is pretty snarky most of the time, but he does take his research seriously for these two shows of his.  And while he does make a lot of jokes, he doesn't take many personal pot-shots at the artists (even moreso if he gains a respect for them through his research, or if they've passed on...or both, like his OHW look at Scatman John.)

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
On 4/8/2023 at 1:04 PM, BlueSkies said:

At any rate the early 90s were the bomb.  

On 4/8/2023 at 4:04 PM, Annber03 said:

I remember the Dennis the Menace cartoon and the cartoon Heathcliff which I rarely see mentioned anywhere. I really liked "Salute Your Shorts" too. "Clarissa" and "Round House" were my favorite SNICK shows. "All That" was added to SNICK in the first few years it was around too. I wish I had watched "Are You Afraid of the Dark" more than a few times back then. I think "Shelby Woo" came along around the time I started to not watch Nick as much. I do remember "Alex Mack" took over the spot of one of the shows I liked. Was it "Clarissa" if anyone remembers?

Other NICK shows I watched over the years were "Fifteen" (A Canadian import that I first saw Ryan Reynolds), Welcome Freshman, You Can't Do That on Television" (Another Canadian import), "Hey Dude" and  "Out of Control" (Nick ran the few episodes of that show that were made into the ground). I watched most of Nick's game shows too like "Double Dare", "GUTS", "Legends of the Hidden Temple" and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
22 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I remember the Dennis the Menace cartoon and the cartoon Heathcliff which I rarely see mentioned anywhere. I really liked "Salute Your Shorts" too. "Clarissa" and "Round House" were my favorite SNICK shows. "All That" was added to SNICK in the first few years it was around too. I wish I had watched "Are You Afraid of the Dark" more than a few times back then. I think "Shelby Woo" came along around the time I started to not watch Nick as much. I do remember "Alex Mack" took over the spot of one of the shows I liked. Was it "Clarissa" if anyone remembers?

Other NICK shows I watched over the years were "Fifteen" (A Canadian import that I first saw Ryan Reynolds), Welcome Freshman, You Can't Do That on Television" (Another Canadian import), "Hey Dude" and  "Out of Control" (Nick ran the few episodes of that show that were made into the ground). I watched most of Nick's game shows too like "Double Dare", "GUTS", "Legends of the Hidden Temple" and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

I’d want to say Clarissa was well known. Most people of a certain age know of it

But it’s very hard to find full episodes anywhere 

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I remember the Dennis the Menace cartoon and the cartoon Heathcliff which I rarely see mentioned anywhere.

Yes! "Heathcliff"! I watched that one, too. God, it's been ages...

Anyone else remember "Noozles"? It featured a young girl named Sandy and her koala bear friends, who came to life when she rubbed noses with them, and they went on adventures together? I liked that cartoon, too, as a kid. 

Other NICK shows I watched over the years were "Fifteen" (A Canadian import that I first saw Ryan Reynolds), Welcome Freshman, You Can't Do That on Television" (Another Canadian import), "Hey Dude"

I wondered if others remembered "Fifteen" and "Welcome Freshman"! And "Hey Dude" - Christine Taylor's earliest TV role, I think, or one of them, at least. 

About a decade or so back, the TeenNick channel actually aired some "You Can't Do That on Television" episodes for a time. I hadn't seen that show since I was really, really little, and I didn't realize until watching those reruns just how incredibly trippy and weird it was :D. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Anyone else remember "Noozles"? It featured a young girl named Sandy and her koala bear friends, who came to life when she rubbed noses with them, and they went on adventures together? I liked that cartoon, too, as a kid.

Nitpicky Aussie here! Koalas aren't bears, they're marsupials. If I could travel back in time, I would find the first person to describe them as bears and give them a good ki-- er, a stern talking-to.

• Applause 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I wondered if others remembered "Fifteen" and "Welcome Freshman"! And "Hey Dude" - Christine Taylor's earliest TV role, I think, or one of them, at least. 

About a decade or so back, the TeenNick channel actually aired some "You Can't Do That on Television" episodes for a time. I hadn't seen that show since I was really, really little, and I didn't realize until watching those reruns just how incredibly trippy and weird it was :D. 

I remembered Fifteen. I liked that show.

• Like 2

If I ever see Jason Bateman anywhere all I think of is...  I remember the good old days whenever I was sick and old episodes of The Hogan Family would come on.

That shows seems to have been forgotten about big time!  Jason was real young and practically a baby in it.  I'm at the age now I consider anyone under 20 a baby.

I mean the show as all right.  It would seem real good for nostalgia but unfortuantely a lot looks dated about it.  

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

If I ever see Jason Bateman anywhere all I think of is...  I remember the good old days whenever I was sick and old episodes of The Hogan Family would come on.

That shows seems to have been forgotten about big time!  Jason was real young and practically a baby in it.  I'm at the age now I consider anyone under 20 a baby.

Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family had been airing on Decades or Antenna TV as recently as the last two years, because I would catch it occasionally. They were aired in order so it was called all those things, as far as I remember. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Valerie/The Hogan Family is currently on Rewind TV (sister to Antenna TV). Oddly, the first two seasons are run under the original title, Valerie, even though Rewind advertises the whole thing as The Hogan Family (which is how it previously aired in syndication).

Those first two seasons are the best. Valerie Harper was infamously fired due to a dispute over creative direction of the show. Once she was gone, those producers (Miller/Boyett of Full House and Family Matters fame) transformed the show from slightly overachieving family comedy to lowest common denominator crap similar to the rest of their catalog.

• Like 4
On 4/12/2023 at 4:46 PM, mishy said:

Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family had been airing on Decades or Antenna TV as recently as the last two years, because I would catch it occasionally. They were aired in order so it was called all those things, as far as I remember. 

When was the last time Rhoda got aired? OK, it somewhat got bogged down towards the end and before fading into obscurity but it had started out a fun show depicting Valerie Harper's iconic character  attempting to give her home city of New York its 'last chance' but somewhat hampered via her charming but overwhelming mother Ida( Nancy Walker)  who Rhoda towered over!  Regardless, it's worth seeking out with Miss Harper helped by Julie Kavner as her kid sister Brenda and the voice of Lorenzo Music [real name!] as Carlton the Doorman!

• Like 4

Catchy Comedy (née Decades) just started airing Rhoda on weekdays, after the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Rhoda is interesting because it deviated from the half workplace/half home life setup of the other MTM shows. With Rhoda, it was almost all home life. And they never got that setup right and were constantly tweaking it. Julie Kavner was great as the sister, but Nancy Walker was best in small doses. And they got rid of Joe after a couple of years, and various friends came and went, as did Walker. I think the show would have benefitted from a really strong workplace setup to anchor it.

What always made me laugh is how they tried to position Rhoda, played by the beautiful Valerie Harper, as desperate for a man. She had looks and personality - men would have been lined up to date her.

• Like 4

One of my first memories of life was loving watching game shows on all day on the old USA Network....  this was like late 80s.

I was gonna same Name That Tune was forgotten but it looks like there's a remake on Fox now.  But some other stuff I found from back in the day Scrabble, Monopoly and this one

• Like 2
On 4/11/2023 at 10:07 PM, Jaded said:

Other NICK shows I watched over the years were "Fifteen" (A Canadian import that I first saw Ryan Reynolds)

I grew up in Michigan where we got some Canadian channels and remember loving Fifteen. There was another Canadian show with Ryan Reynolds that i was obsessed with called The Odyssey about a kid who seemingly entered a fantasy world after falling into a coma. I remember the first season was fantastic but I think it started to fall apart after that with the ending being kind of unsatisfying or at least confusing.

• Like 5
16 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

There was another Canadian show with Ryan Reynolds that i was obsessed with called The Odyssey about a kid who seemingly entered a fantasy world after falling into a coma.

I remember this show!  Didn't know Reynolds was in it though!  I thought it was an intriguing premise, but then I lost track of it.

• Like 4

I wish they'd release the total serial of 'Danger Island' (1968- 1969) that was a recurring serial on that was somewhat intense and surprisingly deep considering that its parent show The Banana Splits (1968-1970)seemed strictly for the Romper Room set.

Anyway, it starred Jan-Michael Vincent in his first notable role as the assistant to a missing professor who was trying to combat an evil modern-day pirate and the pirate's henchmen. Assisting him were the professor's young daughter Leslie (Ronne Troupe) and their own allies a shipwrecked African-American merchant marine named Morgan (Rockne Tarkington) and his assistant Chongo ( Kim Kahana) who only communicated with the others via monkey sounds and birdcalls. Oh, and Chongo was the acrobatic comic relief and his mishaps would inspire the catchphrase 'Uh-oh! CHON-GOH!'

It turned out that the pirate had previously kidnapped and tortured Chongo to such a degree that he could no longer speak human languages.

Spoiler

Yes, it had a happy ending with them defeating the pirate. Sadly, though, Morgan refused to return to 'civilization' on the grounds that he didn't want Chongo to viewed a freak or outcast so intended to stay behind to care for Chongo!  Why no one considered whether Chongo may have regained his ability to speak with intense therapy, I'm not sure!

• Useful 3

This thread reminded me of show the middle which I loved.   It seems to be getting lost now.  There use to be so many people arguing about modern family getting all the awards and thinking the middle was the better show.  I liked modern family and see the episodes everywhere but rarely see the middle.  I hope the Heck’s won’t be forgotten.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tribeca said:

This thread reminded me of show the middle which I loved.   It seems to be getting lost now.  There use to be so many people arguing about modern family getting all the awards and thinking the middle was the better show.  I liked modern family and see the episodes everywhere but rarely see the middle.  I hope the Heck’s won’t be forgotten.  

I love the Middle. It reminds me so much of my own family. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 4/11/2023 at 9:35 PM, Annber03 said:

I really liked "Noozles" and used to wish I could have koala friends like that outside my window. "You Can't Do That on Television" really did have some trippy and weird bits I remember a couple of them making me feel a little uneasy. That didn't stop me from watching though.

On 4/15/2023 at 5:13 PM, BlueSkies said:

One of my first memories of life was loving watching game shows on all day on the old USA Network....  this was like late 80s.

I was gonna same Name That Tune was forgotten but it looks like there's a remake on Fox now.  But some other stuff I found from back in the day Scrabble, Monopoly and this one

I loved watching all of those game shows they aired. I don't really remember Monopoly and the show in the clip you posted. I really liked Scrabble. It probably sounds weird to some that I enjoyed hearing the sounds made while contestants were handling the tiles, during the word scrambles when it was time to see if the letters would work or not and when they didn't the stopper noise. I'm glad there wasn't social media back then so Chuck Woolery didn't get ruined for me as a person until a couple decades later. There were a lot of other shows they aired that I'm thinking of but I don't feel like looking for clips of all of them right now.

I've mentioned the mid to late 80's version of Hollywood Squares in other areas here on PT . USA started to rerun it in the second half of '89 when the original run of the show ended earlier that same year. I was first introduced to Joan Rivers and Jim J. Bullock while watching since they each eventually became regular panelists. I first saw a lot of other celebs on that show too. When Joan joined it was to be the permanent center square.

• Like 6

Speaking of Canadian shows and Jim J. Bullock. He was in a teen comedy show that aired for one season from '94 to'95, contrary to the year mentioned in the title of the one full episode I could find on YT. At the time I didn't know it was a Canadian show though. It was syndicated in the US.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I really liked "Noozles" and used to wish I could have koala friends like that outside my window. "You Can't Do That on Television" really did have some trippy and weird bits I remember a couple of them making me feel a little uneasy. That didn't stop me from watching though.

I loved watching all of those game shows they aired. I don't really remember Monopoly and the show in the clip you posted. I really liked Scrabble. It probably sounds weird to some that I enjoyed hearing the sounds made while contestants were handling the tiles, during the word scrambles when it was time to see if the letters would work or not and when they didn't the stopper noise. I'm glad there wasn't social media back then so Chuck Woolery didn't get ruined for me as a person until a couple decades later. There were a lot of other shows they aired that I'm thinking of but I don't feel like looking for clips of all of them right now.

I've mentioned the mid to late 80's version of Hollywood Squares in other areas here on PT . USA started to rerun it in the second half of '89 when the original run of the show ended earlier that same year. I was first introduced to Joan Rivers and Jim J. Bullock while watching since they each eventually became regular panelists. I first saw a lot of other celebs on that show too. When Joan joined it was to be the permanent center square.

Yeah the Hollywood squares sounds vaguely familiar.  I know I loved that channel as a little kid.

Press Your Luck and the whammies is what I recall best from that channel but that show isn’t really forgotten 

• Like 3