Type keyword(s) to search

The Land That Time Forgot: TV Shows That Haven't Aired In A Long Time

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

7th Heaven

It’s not currently on the schedule, but 7th Heaven most recently aired on the UP cable network. They put it on & take it off again whenever they feel like it. They also still have the rights to it apparently; it’s still listed among their shows but just not airing on the network as I write this.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add info.
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

It’s not currently on the schedule, but 7th Heaven most recently aired on the UP cable network. They put it on & take it off again whenever they feel like it. They also still have the rights to it apparently; it’s still listed among their shows but just not airing on the network as I write this.

That’s how it is with Touched By An Angel as well.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I suspect that might be due to the crimes committed by Stephen Collins from a few years ago. Didn't he admit to being a sexual assaulter of young girls?

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I suspect that might be due to the crimes committed by Stephen Collins from a few years ago. Didn't he admit to being a sexual assaulter of young girls?

Yes, and whatever network had it in syndication at the time pulled it, but - like with The Cosby Show - it quietly crept back onto TV elsewhere after a time.  (A friend of mine used to watch it, so I'd seen it at her house and found it an astoundingly bad show, so for a time when I'd come across it in syndication, I'd stop for a bit to see if perhaps I'd just seen unusually bad episodes at her house, but, nope - par for the course.)

• Love 9
On 7/9/2019 at 11:32 AM, catlover79 said:

I believe I Remember Mama was broadcast live, so no episodes would exist. 

A lot of the shows from the '50s were on Kinescope and it did not age well. I sort of remember I Remember Mama from the '70s and it wasn't in good shape.

I'd love to see Fractured Flickers again.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Camille said:

No, that's airing on StartTV.

I meant how the show page on UP TV is still on the website, even though the show is not airing on there.

33 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Touched By An Angel is also airing on Hallmark Drama

I don’t get Hallmark Drama unfortunately.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yes, and whatever network had it in syndication at the time pulled it, but - like with The Cosby Show - it quietly crept back onto TV elsewhere after a time.  (A friend of mine used to watch it, so I'd seen it at her house and found it an astoundingly bad show, so for a time when I'd come across it in syndication, I'd stop for a bit to see if perhaps I'd just seen unusually bad episodes at her house, but, nope - par for the course.)

Now it makes sense why they would pull it.

It was pulled back when the sexual assaults were first revealed, which was five years ago.  Looking up the timeline, it came back pretty quickly, then got yanked again when audience memory turned out to be not quite as short as the network execs thought, and then returned again maybe a year later and stayed.  So the sometimes they air it, sometimes they don't scenario described as going on now would be just a scheduling/ratings matter like with any other show rather than related to Collins's crimes.

12 hours ago, bobalina said:

I bought the DVD set but I would love to see some channel run it again for all the people who never got to see it.  Among other things it was one of the shows that fueled my interest in silent films.

One show I was thinking about the other day while watching Avengers: Endgame was Picket Fences. I used to watch that show with my dad and we really enjoyed it at the time. I wonder if it aged well. Haven't seen it show up anywhere.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, bobalina said:

Same here! Somewhat along those lines from July 4, 1974  to July 4,1976, CBS aired something called Bicentennial Minutes in which a celeb would narrate an event related to the US Revolutionary War and/or the Thirteen Colonies that usually had taken place 200 years prior to that night in a minute's time with pictures and music accompanying it! Some were of course the major well-known events but many were just of ordinary folks and places that were interesting contributors to the bigger picture. For those two years, I looked forward to learning something new every night and as the Big Day drew nearer, I was full of anticipation but also dread because I knew these would be over. Alas, I was too young and ignorant of even rudimentary VCRs back then so it didn't occur to me to record it- and my wishes for them to rerun the 730 minutes into a marathon never happened (nor later a VCR or DVD release). As it is, only a precious few minutes seem to have been preserved on a certain site that rhymes with Few Snoob. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Same here! Somewhat along those lines from July 4, 1974  to July 4,1976, CBS aired something called Bicentennial Minutes in which a celeb would narrate an event related to the US Revolutionary War and/or the Thirteen Colonies that usually had taken place 200 years prior to that night in a minute's time with pictures and music accompanying it! Some were of course the major well-known events but many were just of ordinary folks and places that were interesting contributors to the bigger picture. For those two years, I looked forward to learning something new every night and as the Big Day drew nearer, I was full of anticipation but also dread because I knew these would be over. Alas, I was too young and ignorant of even rudimentary VCRs back then so it didn't occur to me to record it- and my wishes for them to rerun the 730 minutes into a marathon never happened (nor later a VCR or DVD release). As it is, only a precious few minutes seem to have been preserved on a certain site that rhymes with Few Snoob. 

Maybe the History channel would be interested. I feel kids don't know enough about our histiry any more so maybe a kids channel. But the Bicentennial Minutes were gold to this hiatory nerd.

• Love 5

Reading from another thread, I realized that I missed most of the miniseries that aired back in the day by which I mean late 70s, early 80s. The only ones I remember watching from the era are Roots, North and South and Salem's Lot. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the stuff I missed, like The Thorn Birds.

• Love 1

Holy crap, the David Soul - Lance Kerwin version of Salem’s Lot gave me nightmares!  To this day, there are scenes I try not to think of for fear of a sleepless night.

What ever happened to Lance Kerwin?  He was everywhere for a while back in the day.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, festivus said:

Reading from another thread, I realized that I missed most of the miniseries that aired back in the day by which I mean late 70s, early 80s. The only ones I remember watching from the era are Roots, North and South and Salem's Lot. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the stuff I missed, like The Thorn Birds.

Ooooh, Richard Chamberlain.  He was dreamy back in the day.  That reminds me that I'd also like to see the original Shogun again.

• Love 5
On 7/20/2019 at 6:58 AM, Cobb Salad said:

The Invaders is on MeTV late Saturday nights.  

I watched this on Channel 4, when I was a kid. After school, recovering from my day, I'd crawl into bed for a potential nap, and end up watching things like this. 

On 8/7/2019 at 3:28 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Once and Again managed to make it to 3 seasons ,like the wonderful American Dreams did, which also didn't really wind up in syndication. It only got a first season DVD release, and I haven't seen it anywhere in streaming or syndication. Those music rights have to be killer.

I still think it's funny that they got around having to pay for Beatles music rights by having the Bandstand cast actually sing the song instead and downing out the actual music, so they just had to pay for the lyrics rights instead of the full music.

I've never watched American Dreams (I wanted to), but I loved Once and Again.

I came here to mention Joan of Arcadia. I had to find it online somewhere, because I can't find it anywhere on cable, and ever since we got our new cable box, we haven't been able to get the DVD player to work, so I can't get the DVDs through the library. It's one of those comfort-type shows for me, like Gilmore Girls. I love the family (also like the show Medium), the good marriage, and the friends. I really like it all. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Anela said:

I watched this on Channel 4, when I was a kid. After school, recovering from my day, I'd crawl into bed for a potential nap, and end up watching things like this. 

I've never watched American Dreams (I wanted to), but I loved Once and Again.

I came here to mention Joan of Arcadia. I had to find it online somewhere, because I can't find it anywhere on cable, and ever since we got our new cable box, we haven't been able to get the DVD player to work, so I can't get the DVDs through the library. It's one of those comfort-type shows for me, like Gilmore Girls. I love the family (also like the show Medium), the good marriage, and the friends. I really like it all.

Regarding the bolded: Joan of Arcadia is on Start TV. Only it airs at something like 2AM (Eastern), I think the linked page says.

• Love 1

The old Mystery series shown on PBS, Mother Love, starring Diana Rigg my top priority.  I actually taped Mother Love at the time to watch and deleted it afterwards.  If I had known Mother Love would not be repeated, become impossible finding a legitimate copy and therefore disappearing, I never would have done so.  Rigg was magnificent!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded: Joan of Arcadia is on Start TV. Only it airs at something like 2AM (Eastern), I think the linked page says.

Thank you! I don't think I can get the cable channel, but I see "over the air" so I might see if I can pick that up somehow. 

2 hours ago, Anela said:

Thank you! I don't think I can get the cable channel, but I see "over the air" so I might see if I can pick that up somehow. 

Start TV is also available as a channel on YouTube TV, which is a free TV streaming (I guess you’d say) app I have on my iPhone & you can get through the App Store &/or Google Play. I’m not sure how, exactly, you’d watch the content without the app though; I’ve never tried.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

. I’m not sure how, exactly, you’d watch the content without the app though; I’ve never tried.

It's a digital broadcast subchannel of CBS.  It can be accessed with a digital antenna, I think in most of the USA.

• Love 2
On 8/17/2019 at 12:35 PM, BW Manilowe said:

Start TV is also available as a channel on YouTube TV, which is a free TV streaming (I guess you’d say) app I have on my iPhone & you can get through the App Store &/or Google Play. I’m not sure how, exactly, you’d watch the content without the app though; I’ve never tried.

Thank you. I tried youtube TV, earlier in the year, but couldn't get the app on my Roku, for some reason. I had it on my phone, but it wouldn't stream on my TV without the screen going black. 

3 hours ago, Archery said:

I would love to find The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd, starring Blair Brown, somewhere.  I loved that show so very much.  

I loved that show!  Another one I'd like to see again is Anything But Love with Jamie Lee Curtis and Richard Lewis.  

• Love 7
On 7/11/2019 at 8:56 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Original (and the ONLY ONE that counts!) DallasTNT used to air it. Many moons ago. I miss seeing Ol' JR Ewing, the Original Magnificent Bastard! on my teevee.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:56 AM, Cobb Salad said:

It is on IMDB TV - sign up for a free account to watch.  It is available via PCs only, the IMDB app does not seem to support it.  

I caught up with a few episodes that I missed when they originally aired.  Fun stuff 😊

Quoting myself and @Cobb Salad to say THANK YOU for telling me about IMDBtv! I spend the weekend marathon watching the first two seasons of ORIGINAL DALLAS and it still stands up for me. So what if there's no social media. I don't give a shit. Soooo SOAPY! The DRAMAAAAA...the family dynamics, Tony Nelson J.R. Ewing as the Original Magnificent Bastard! Bobby Ewing...soooooooo hawt and just the perfect man. And *sniff* Jock "Daddy" Ewing! I wonder how the show would have changed had Jim Davis not died so prematurely. And I'll take the rest of my thoughts to the Show's thread as not to go off topic here.

Watching it free with ads isn't so bad. Just two commercials and both come to about a minute, unlike the four to five minute commercial breaks on cable.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Quoting myself and @Cobb Salad to say THANK YOU for telling me about IMDBtv! I spend the weekend marathon watching the first two seasons of ORIGINAL DALLAS and it still stands up for me. So what if there's no social media. I don't give a shit. Soooo SOAPY! The DRAMAAAAA...the family dynamics, Tony Nelson J.R. Ewing as the Original Magnificent Bastard! Bobby Ewing...soooooooo hawt and just the perfect man. And *sniff* Jock "Daddy" Ewing! I wonder how the show would have changed had Jim Davis not died so prematurely. And I'll take the rest of my thoughts to the Show's thread as not to go off topic here.

Watching it free with ads isn't so bad. Just two commercials and both come to about a minute, unlike the four to five minute commercial breaks on cable.

@GHScorpiosRule you are welcome.  

Regarding the ads, I’ve noticed on some of these apps plus You Tube that they tell you how long the break is - that’s helpful so I can step away to do something quickly and come back.  

On 8/15/2019 at 1:57 PM, festivus said:

I started looking up mini-series from the 80s. Man, all of the Sidney Sheldon novels starring Jaclyn Smith, Windmills of the Gods, Rage of Angels. The original Bourne Identity with Richard Chamberlain.  I found some stuff on YouTube I had been looking for like Lindsay Wagner in From The Dead of Night and a Patty Duke one from back in the day that used to freak me out as a kid, Curse of the Black Widow. I may try to re-watch the North & South mini-series.

Good times indeed.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I started looking up mini-series from the 80s.

QBVII with Ben Gazzara and Anthony Hopkins

Rich Man, Poor Man which "made" both Nick Nolte and Peter Strauss.

The Executioner's Song with Tommy Lee Jones.  

Really great stuff aired during those prime network miniseries days.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I always liked Lace.

I loved Lace but it's been mentioned before so didn't include it.  However the line, "Which one of you bitches is my mother?" will forever remain a miniseries classic.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

I loved Lace but it's been mentioned before so didn't include it.  However the line, "Which one of you bitches is my mother?" will forever remain a miniseries classic.

And I was PEEVED that they recast her mother, played wonderfully by Bess Armstrong, with some other forgettable blonde, the horrible "sequel."

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I was PEEVED that they recast her mother, played wonderfully by Bess Armstrong, with some other forgettable blonde, the horrible "sequel."

Sequel?  What sequel?  There is no sequel to Lace or V or the book Flambards or <add your own unnecessary nonexistent sequel>. . .

So let it be written.  So let it be done.  

• LOL 5

Forever Knight which is probably astoundingly terrible these days but man, I was obsessed with it back in the day.

Original Land of the Lost and Dungeons and Dragons. When I lived in CA one of the antenna TV stations would air LotL, HR Puffnstuff and a few other shows from that era but I haven't seen them (or found that station in GA) in years.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Forever Knight which is probably astoundingly terrible these days but man, I was obsessed with it back in the day.

Original Land of the Lost and Dungeons and Dragons. When I lived in CA one of the antenna TV stations would air LotL, HR Puffnstuff and a few other shows from that era but I haven't seen them (or found that station in GA) in years.

I have some Forever Knight dvds. It is terrible! I can't get through it now.

One of the free roku channels shows Land of the Lost but I forgot which one and I don't know if they still do. I watched it like a year ago. Yes, the special effects are horrible but I still enjoyed the show so it wasn't just one of those childhood memories where I thought the show was better than it was. I mean it was terrible, but the good kind of terrible ya know.

I was thinking about the show Roc the other day. I'd like to see that one again to see if it really was as funny as I remember. Also Herman's Head which I remember as being quite good.

• Love 3
On 8/23/2019 at 11:59 AM, festivus said:

I have some Forever Knight dvds. It is terrible! I can't get through it now.

A long time ago [, in an internet far, far away] someone sent me their VHS copies. It's on Prime and iTunes and it looks like a few episodes are on YouTube. I think I'll heed your warning and leave it in the past. 

Has anyone seen Policewoman or, for that matter, Cagney and Lacey lately? For such innovative shows re women entering what had been almost exclusively a male profession, it's astounding how difficult they've become to find nowadays! 

• Love 2