Type keyword(s) to search

The Land That Time Forgot: TV Shows That Haven't Aired In A Long Time

• Start Topic

Inspired by a thread over on another site, anyone on here can list shows that haven’t been seen on TV in a long time. There’s a lot of these as well.

Sue Thomas F.B. Eye and Doc - Doc was last seen on Gospel Music Channel, GetTV, and on Hallmark Channel. Sue Thomas F.B. Eye was last seen on Gospel Music Channel and INSP.

Perfect Strangers 

Dave's World

The John Larroquette Show - Last seen on USA Network.

• Love 4

From 1952 to 1956, there was a popular sitcom called Meet Millie about a working single woman whose life was complicated by her well-meaning but overbearing mother trying to get her married off. Anyway, it starred Elena Verdugo and Florence Halop and featured as the mooching neighbor Marvin Kaplan. I've only seen the briefest clips on a site with no name but I've NEVER seen it syndicated or broadcast but I think it would still be entertaining and even relevant to the masses (though it's getting harder and harder to find ANY shows in black& white without Lucy, Zone or Griffith in the title). 

• Love 2
(edited)

I have a funny story about Men Into Space, the 50's show about the astronauts fighting against space, equipment problems, sabotage, and all kinds of things.     It was on for a few years, and then was cancelled.    When I was a kid in the mid 60's, we were on a military base, and a USO tour of the cast from Men Into Space was flying around the different bases.     Since the show had been gone for a long time, the cast members were shocked to have hundreds of people turn out to meet them at our base.    

They didn't know that our Armed Forces TV had only one channel, it was only on afternoons, and evenings, and longer on weekends, and Men Into Space was on many times a week.    Having the cast tour the base was a big novelty for all of us.    I really wish I could see some of the old series like this one.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

Has West Wing been rerun on TV since Bravo dropped it many many years ago?

I don't think so, which reminds me, I don't think Sports Night has aired in years either.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Camille said:

Sisters.

I loved it when it aired, and as there were a few key episodes that I missed, I wish some channel would pick it up.

This was the first one I thought of when I read the subject line of this thread!  I would love to see this show again.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Before Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman and Touched By An Angel came to Start TV, when was the last time both shows were seen?

I know Touched by an Angel was on the Hallmark Channel. I think Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman was too. Those were the last networks I either saw them carried or advertised on.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I know Touched by an Angel was on the Hallmark Channel. I think Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman was too. Those were the last networks I either saw them carried or advertised on.

Thank you.

16 hours ago, Blergh said:

From 1952 to 1956, there was a popular sitcom called Meet Millie about a working single woman whose life was complicated by her well-meaning but overbearing mother trying to get her married off. Anyway, it starred Elena Verdugo and Florence Halop and featured as the mooching neighbor Marvin Kaplan. I've only seen the briefest clips on a site with no name but I've NEVER seen it syndicated or broadcast but I think it would still be entertaining and even relevant to the masses (though it's getting harder and harder to find ANY shows in black& white without Lucy, Zone or Griffith in the title). 

There are a few other old B&W shows on FETV, Antenna TV, etc but I know what you mean. I’ve heard of the show you mentioned before but have never seen it (before my time) and probably never will - a number of years back one of the PBS stations in my area showed some 50s era TV shows in a block.   I wish they (or someone else) would do that again. Like a turn back the clock for the night.  I know Decades does something like this but we all don’t get that anymore 😡

So another show comes to mind - The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet - I saw reruns back in the late 70s but nothing since.  There are episodes posted on the Internet but it would be nice to see it on TV again.  

• Love 2

A channel I get out of Hamilton Ontario shows older programming in a block every weekday.  They show mostly stuff from the 70s and 80s (stuff like Mary Tyler Moore, Cheers, Happy Days) but they've occasionally had older sitcoms like The Monkees and The Lucy Show which is fun.  AFAIK though they've never put on anything from the 50s (possibly I Love Lucy but if they did that one I missed it).  I'd love to see some of those really old sitcoms - shows like I Remember Mama and Dobie Gillis and Our Miss Brooks that I've heard of but never seen.

• Love 5

Any Day Now.  I wish Lifetime, at least (it was their show), would air it again, but that would cut into their line-up of evil women/women in jeopardy shows. 

It's often left out when talking about TV's history of dealing with racism and race relations, but 20 years ago this show was examining things like the systemic impact of racism regardless of any individual's intent, cultural appropriation, and white privilege - probably because, unlike most shows then or now, half the writers room were people of color.  All rooted in the tentatively renewed friendship in Birmingham, AL between two women who'd been childhood friends, played wonderfully and with great chemistry by Lorraine Toussaint and Annie Potts (and with terrific flashbacks each episode to their 1960s selves and their families).

• Love 21
2 hours ago, Homily said:

I'd love to see some of those really old sitcoms - shows like I Remember Mama and Dobie Gillis and Our Miss Brooks that I've heard of but never seen.

I believe I Remember Mama was broadcast live, so no episodes would exist. 

• Love 4

Oh, god, I remember "Any Day Now". I know I saw a little of that show here and there back in the day. It would be nice to see that pop up somewhere.

I'll put "Boston Public" here. I remember watching this show when it originally aired, and it was on at a time when David E. Kelley was ruling TV with his shows. I remember the cast being a pretty good one, too. I was a teenager when it was on back then, so it would be interesting to see it again as an adult and see how I view it now. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Any Day Now.  I wish Lifetime, at least (it was their show), would air it again, but that would cut into their line-up of evil women/women in jeopardy shows. 

It's often left out when talking about TV's history of dealing with racism and race relations, but 20 years ago this show was examining things like the systemic impact of racism regardless of any individual's intent, cultural appropriation, and white privilege - probably because, unlike most shows then or now, half the writers room were people of color.  All rooted in the tentatively renewed friendship in Birmingham, AL between two women who'd been childhood friends, played wonderfully and with great chemistry by Lorraine Toussaint and Annie Potts (and with terrific flashbacks each episode to their 1960s selves and their families).

I loved it.

• Love 3
(edited)
23 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet - I saw reruns back in the late 70s but nothing since.  There are episodes posted on the Internet but it would be nice to see it on TV again.  

To the best of my knowledge, after the death of David in 2011, their youngest grandson Sam (Rick's son) announced he was going to restore then release all 436 episodes   but this has not happened at this writing. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Blergh said:

To the best of my knowledge, after the death of David in 2011, their youngest grandson Sam (Rick's son) announced he was going to restore then release all 436 episodes   but this has not happened at this writing. 

I remember reading about that a while back myself.   I’m guessing at this point it’s not going to happen.  Anyway if it did the show seems like a natural pairing with a show like My Three Sons if MeTV picked it up or if Antenna TV/FE TV picked it up a pairing with one of the 50-60’s era shows they broadcast.  

• Love 2
On 7/9/2019 at 11:46 AM, Cobb Salad said:

So another show comes to mind - The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet - I saw reruns back in the late 70s but nothing since.  There are episodes posted on the Internet but it would be nice to see it on TV again.  

3 hours ago, Blergh said:

I remember the Disney channel airing this show in the early 90s. I was on a huge Ricky Nelson kick, and would just sit in front of my teevee and gorge on the most adorable tween Ricky "I don't mess around boy" Nelson, David, Ozzie, and Harriet. I think they stopped airing them after Harriet passed away. She used to intro the show.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Original (and the ONLY ONE that counts!) DallasTNT used to air it. Many moons ago. I miss seeing Ol' JR Ewing, the Original Magnificent Bastard! on my teevee.

It is on IMDB TV - sign up for a free account to watch.  It is available via PCs only, the IMDB app does not seem to support it.  

I caught up with a few episodes that I missed when they originally aired.  Fun stuff 😊

• Love 2
13 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

The Steve Harvey Show

The Steve Harvey Show actually is airing now. It is on both BET Her (I have this channel through my cable provider) and GetTV (which I think is primarily available on Dish?).

I would love to see Sisters again and Homefront.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

It is on IMDB TV - sign up for a free account to watch.  It is available via PCs only, the IMDB app does not seem to support it.  

I caught up with a few episodes that I missed when they originally aired.  Fun stuff 😊

IMDB TV shows are on the Amazon Prime Video app. They're not "prime" status, but you can watch them with ads. Which aren't too long, I've been re-watching Warehouse 13 on it, the ads are only about 45 seconds, and they're only about every other commercial break that the show has.

Speaking of which: Warehouse 13. Bless you IMDB TV for having it available to watch. It's just as good as I remember.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

IMDB TV shows are on the Amazon Prime Video app. They're not "prime" status, but you can watch them with ads. Which aren't too long, I've been re-watching Warehouse 13 on it, the ads are only about 45 seconds, and they're only about every other commercial break that the show has.

Just tried it, thanks.  I don’t have Amazon Prime so I would never consider the IMDB streaming stuff being a part of the Amazon app instead of the IMDB app.  I wish they would make this kind of stuff clearer since Amazon owns IMDB.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I have been watching one of my favorite Night Court on Laff tv if anyone is interested 

i have been curious if Picket Fences Aires anywhere?  

Edited by Chaos Theory
Seriously did Autocorrect hates me
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I have been watching one of my favorite Night Court on Ladd tv if anyone is interested 

i have been curious if Picket Fences Aires anywhere?  

My local library has most of the entire series of Night Court on DVD to borrow.

That's actually not a bad place to try for old TV shows.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, mishy said:

The Steve Harvey Show actually is airing now. It is on both BET Her (I have this channel through my cable provider) and GetTV (which I think is primarily available on Dish?).

I would love to see Sisters again and Homefront.

I have BET Her, but not GetTV. Unfortunately, the airings on BET Her are all off the clock and are shown early in the morning.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:24 AM, Homily said:

This was the first one I thought of when I read the subject line of this thread!  I would love to see this show again.

I just got done collecting Sisters on DVD. Loved watching that show with mine.

On 7/9/2019 at 2:06 PM, Bastet said:

This was a great show. I'm so pissed I can't find the DVD. Looking for Judging Amy. Just got The Division earlier this year. 

(edited)
10 minutes ago, kariyaki said:
21 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

My local library doesn't.

No DVDs at all?

DVD's don't last as long in a public lending library as you might think (retired librarian here). Easily scratched, or even cracked. For a TV series if one disc is lost or damaged the library usually discards the whole set.   It can be hard to find DVDs that were released more than two years ago.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Useful 5
30 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

No DVDs at all?

24 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

DVD's don't last as long in a public lending library as you might think (retired librarian here). Easily scratched, or even cracked. For a TV series if one disc is lost or damaged the library usually discards the whole set.   It can be hard to find DVDs that were released more than two years ago.

They have DVD's, but just not Night Court.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

My local library has a huuuuuge DVD collection, occupies two aisles, from old stuff to new stuff. Movies and TV series. They actually have the complete series of Murder She Wrote. The Law & Order section takes up half a stack.

• Love 4
(edited)
13 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

My local library has a huuuuuge DVD collection, occupies two aisles, from old stuff to new stuff. Movies and TV series. They actually have the complete series of Murder She Wrote. The Law & Order section takes up half a stack

Well, of course that's great .  But I worked in NYC and outside of the Performing Arts Library Collection what I said above is true (sometimes it's true even for them, if the material goes out of print).   I often got DVDs and CDs and even vinyl records for my NYC patrons through inter-library loan that came from smaller less trafficked libraries.  Back in the VHS days you could repair a tape - but there's no repairing a disc.  For a while Recorded Books would replace a damaged disc from a set - but they stopped doing that some years ago.  I don't like the switch over to downloads for many reasons but I accept that one of the advantages is that the materials can't be damaged by the borrower.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
5 hours ago, kariyaki said:

My local library has most of the entire series of Night Court on DVD to borrow.

That's actually not a bad place to try for old TV shows.

That's where I've always gone to sample TV shows from the past that I can't access on my cable - and before I even had cable!!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, FairyDusted said:

I just got done collecting Sisters on DVD. Loved watching that show with mine.

This was a great show. I'm so pissed I can't find the DVD. Looking for Judging Amy. Just got The Division earlier this year. 

@MikaelaArsenault @kariyaki @ratgirlagogo and others: 

Believe it or not, I find these DVDs in Thrift and secondhand stores for CHEAP. Besides your libraries, don’t discount looking for them at yard sales, flea markets and Goodwill. 

• Love 7

Dobie Gillis is available on Amazon Prime.  I find it hilarious.  Route 66 is also on prime, and I believe Naked City though I haven’t watched it.

I thought I had at least heard of all these shows but Men in Space?  I wonder if it’s on Youtube, now I’m curious.

In regard to libraries, the New York Public Library was participating in a great free streaming service called Kanopy, but I received an email that the NYPL dropped out of it as of July 1st.

• Love 2