Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Do Not Water

• Start Topic

They really wanted to keep Janusz in the competition, didn't they? That was one fugly sculpture that was as unrealistic as they come.

Alex, wow, he picked something that was in his wheelhouse (creating great shapes in clear glass), not hyperrealistic and a great visual. Well deserved win!

Deborah had a very whacky idea and took time to test her colours. While I liked the result, I have to say that it wasn't as realistic as it could have been - someting that works better from a distance.

If Patrick had attatched to the flower head in a more realistic way they would not have been able to send him home. I loved this sculture!

• Love 3

Alex's piece was really beautiful. I loved the detailed top, the smooth elegance of the jar, and the creepiness of the lovely curves of the dead plants inside.

Patrick's macro dandelion was an interesting idea. I agreed with Katherine that he used a lot of techniques but that the overall look was lacking somehow. I really appreciated that he chose such a unique interpretation of the challenge.

Deborah's sprouting potatoes sounded like a terrible idea, but it ended up looking better than I thought it would. She was smart to do a color test first so that she could choose the best colors for her unusual creation.

Janusz had the most literal interpretation of the challenge but I thought it turned out well (blue grass and all). Even as someone who knows almost nothing about glass blowing, I could see that he used many different techniques to create this piece.

Yay for Alexander winning this week! His piece was so beautiful. I'm sorry to see Patrick go because he was such a positive sunny person throughout the competition. I'm surprised that Deborah has made it this far.

• Love 7

So glad that Alex won. That was a gorgeous piece all around (although it would have been nice to see something of the flower).

I kind of loved Deborah's potatoes and the different sizes of them. 

I wondered if the choice between sending home Janusz or Patrick was down to Janusz having won 3 challenges to Patrick's 1 time in the team challenge. Janusz is going to have to step it up again.

• Love 1

I laughed so hard when Deborah said potatoes but I ended up liking them way, way, way more than I anticipated.  Alex's piece was in a whole different competition though.  It was FABULOUS.   

• Love 5

I read in one of the bios that Janusz worked for Chihuly, and his flowers really screamed Chihuly to me (just on a smaller scale).  Pretty, but there really wasn't any artistic vision to it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, chaifan said:

I read in one of the bios that Janusz worked for Chihuly, and his flowers really screamed Chihuly to me (just on a smaller scale).  Pretty, but there really wasn't any artistic vision to it. 

Chihuly Images (from Google)

I see what you mean.

7 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Chihuly Images (from Google)

I see what you mean.

To be fair most glass blowers for the last thirty years have been influenced by Chihuly’s flowers whether they worked for him or not.

Fun fact my mother almost cracked a bunch of Chihuly spheres that looked like boulders at the opening of the Seattle Art Museum when someone pushed into her at the cocktail hour. 

• Useful 2
On 7/19/2019 at 2:38 AM, justmehere said:

I wondered if the choice between sending home Janusz or Patrick was down to Janusz having won 3 challenges to Patrick's 1 time in the team challenge. Janusz is going to have to step it up again.

I was surprised the non-elimination round didn’t factor in at all. Janusz’s bubbles were clearly the weak link the week before and I thought that might give Patrick the edge. I wouldn’t be surprised if Janusz’s body of work swayed the adjudicators. 

• Love 1