Type keyword(s) to search

Mulan (2020)

• Start Topic

On 4/3/2020 at 7:14 PM, AimingforYoko said:

If we're still locked up tight by then, we'll have much bigger problems than a movie opening or not. That's almost four months from now.

Well, we're not still locked up tight and that's part of the problem. This summer movie season is pretty much cancelled.

Mulan delayed again.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Delayed Indefinitely

I know that they're holding out for the theaters and I'd love for a movie with a POC female lead to win big at the office but at this point, just release it on VOD already!!! It worked for Onward!

Did it work for Onward? Most of the money Onward made came from it’s short box-office run. 

1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Mulan will stream on Disney Plus for $29.99 this fall. 

Double checked and this one is September. 

That seems like a lot to watch a movie.  That's practically buying the movie.  By contrast, Amazon charges a more palatable $16 or so for new releases.  

• Love 2

Godammit. This isn't how I wanted it to be: it would have been great for a WOC movie to get the box office records it deserved.

Well, if my theater is open and showing it, I'll see it there. If not...I might actually fork over the 30 bucks. I miss theater movies so much, but I'm done being patient.

• Love 3

I get that Disney needs to make... something off this film in the US, especially if they want to release in theaters in certain foreign markets.  I can also see how this would be a bargain for a family of viewers.  However - as a single subscriber I don’t plan on spending $30 just for myself, on a movie that I don’t know if I will watch more than once.  At some point they will take it out from behind the paywall - I’ll watch it then.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm not paying that. I don't have disney + anyway and as much as I'd like to see Mulan, I was already going to wait to see if it was any good first. I'll wait until it goes somewhere for cheaper.

9 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

I get that Disney needs to make... something off this film in the US, especially if they want to release in theaters in certain foreign markets.  I can also see how this would be a bargain for a family of viewers.  However - as a single subscriber I don’t plan on spending $30 just for myself, on a movie that I don’t know if I will watch more than once.  At some point they will take it out from behind the paywall - I’ll watch it then.

Yeah. It’s a great value for some people and a really bad one for others. The piracy on this movie is going to be crazy. That alone may keep it a one time thing. 

Back in the Before Times, if I went to a regular priced (non-matinee) movie, and got popcorn, I could easily drop $20-$30 bucks -- for something I only got to see once.  So, I might shell out extra on top of the Disney+ for this one -- I would certainly have gone to the theatre to see it.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

In olden times, when a big fight would be on PPV, a bunch of us would go to someone's house (usually the person with the best TV) and chip in for the cost. Basically, what I'm saying is: viewing parties. 

Well, I mean... getting together in a confined space with a bunch of people is kind of the root problem right now.  If we could do that with any confidence, going to a theater wouldn’t be an issue.

As for the price- god bless if people are legit dropping $30 a person for a movie, even including snacks.  I think I’d have to spring for 3D IMAX, and more popcorn/soda than I should personally consume to hit that.  I would guess my typical movie expenditure is maybe $17 for ticket/concessions - and if I really wanted, I could hit a bargain Tuesday show for, iirc, $5.75 (snacks extra).

Also- I know that this may be an Unpopular Opinion, but part of the appeal of going out to a movie is “going out.”  I like watching a film on something that isn’t my TV, in a place that isn’t my condo, and I’m okay with paying for the privilege.  Obviously these days I watch everything at home, but the vast majority is classic TV and movies, that it doesn’t matter if I get distracted while watching.  If I have to watch a new release in my home, I’d rather not pay more than I would at a theater for the experience.

• Love 3

This looks like an action movie made for the big screen experience. If the only way to watch it is at home, I'd rather wait for a cheaper option, or even free. If it ever comes out on DVD, I can borrow it from the library.

I understand why it's so expensive. They were counting on ticket sales and now that's out the window. $30 is cheap for a family going to an actual theater. But as said by other posters, the theater is an experience and a treat. I'm sure many people will wait now that there's no rush to catch it in theaters.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm sure many people will wait now that there's no rush to catch it in theaters.

Given the response to TROLLS: WORLD TOUR, I'm not so sure.  They're likely never going to have a theatrical release in the US.  I don't expect movie theaters to be open nationwide for at least six months.

27 minutes ago, starri said:

Given the response to TROLLS: WORLD TOUR, I'm not so sure.  They're likely never going to have a theatrical release in the US.  I don't expect movie theaters to be open nationwide for at least six months.

That's my point. People may put it off and wait for the DVD or BlueRay as a cheaper or free option now that it won't be in theaters. Why pay $30 for a tv movie unless you're really desperate to watch it or don't mind paying that much? The trailer doesn't even make it look child friendly like Trolls. Parents can satisfy their children with the original cartoon for now.

I was looking forward to this in the theater, but $30 for an early release? That’s too much for a movie that I’ll see free soon enough. Well, “free,” as in, we already have Disney+. That’s more than I paid the last time I took my son to the theater.

Wow, Rosalind Chao, has aged well. I recognized her in the trailer as Mulan’s mother, but thought I had to be wrong because she looked too young.

On 8/6/2020 at 2:54 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I swear if I hear one more tweet bitching about the movie not having Mushu or a different male lead than Shang, I'm gonna scream. The filmmakers clearly said it's NOT a remake!

Yes, I can understand their annoyance, but the complaints spammed the last YouTube trailer I saw, each as if the others didn’t exist.

Bad review from Jeremy Jahns and he does spoil some stuff towards the end, there's a spoiler warning so you can drop out before he gets there.

I'm already decided to wait for it to come to Disney+ Proper instead of spending $30 and, going by this it sounds like I made the right call

• Love 1

I haven't seen it yet but I watched Jeremy Jahns and when he said "it does pretty much exactly what you think a live action Mulan would do" kinda summed up my feelings on it so far from what I have seen. 

There also seems to be a boycott being organised because of the actress's support for the Chinese Communist Party, especially against the Hong Kong protests. Although it seems extremely ineffective to essentially be saying "I'll wait until its on regular Disney +". 

I'm not going to sign up for Disney Plus, but I'm interested to know if there's any humor or lighthearted moments in this movie. I've only seen what's put out and so far it looks grim. I don't think I've seen Mulan (or any character) smile in any of the released clips.

4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm not going to sign up for Disney Plus, but I'm interested to know if there's any humor or lighthearted moments in this movie. I've only seen what's put out and so far it looks grim. I don't think I've seen Mulan (or any character) smile in any of the released clips.

Not really. The opening scenes have some humor but there is a undercurrent that keeps them from being very funny. Overall the tone is very serious. There is an Easter egg at the end that is amusing for major fans of the original. 

It’s really apparent that the movie was targeted to appeal to China. Now that I’ve seen the movie it’s hard for me to imagine a worse Disney film to have been impacted by COVID. 

Edited by Guest

Ok I just watched it. Visually, it's spectacular. The colors, costumes, scenery, and cinematography are gorgeous. I wish I'd been able to see it in theaters.

They definitely made this into more of an action movie than the cartoon. And that's fine, I knew this wasn't going to be remake.

The lead actress did a good job. Whatever you feel about her, credit must be given where credit is due. Her best moment was Mulan's first night on the camp and all the guys frolicking around. Her face when the guy dropped his towel was priceless.

I think the internet overreacted to Shang being removed for another guy because this character still had the bisexual elements there, even more so.

Jason Scott Lee, hot damn even when you are the bad guy you are still so hot!

Ming-Na-Wen's cameo made me squee.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ok I just watched it. Visually, it's spectacular. The colors, costumes, scenery, and cinematography are gorgeous. I wish I'd been able to see it in theaters.

I agree. I really hope it gets a theatrical release eventually. 

Her best moment was Mulan's first night on the camp and all the guys frolicking around. Her face when the guy dropped his towel was priceless.

I completely forgot about that. I thought the camp section was the best part of the movie. She really shined in those moments. 

I think the internet overreacted to Shang being removed for another guy because this character still had the bisexual elements there, even more so.

I agree. I was surprised that one reviewer felt they were suggesting that Honghui knew she was a woman. I didn’t get that impression at all. 

7 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Reading @Spartan Girl’s post made me realize I was wrong. The training camp section had lighthearted and funny moments.

Edited by Guest

Decent movie, not really worth $30.

I thought this version of the Mulan character was bland, whether due to the actress or the writing, or both.  The actress who played her sister, whom we saw for five minutes, was more expressive.  (And really, Disney? Why introduce a sister if you're going to do nothing with her?)

The trailer made it seem like this would be a complete departure from the animated movie, and I was there for it.  I was expecting a grittier story with more fantasy elements, while at the same time a Mulan that was human and grounded.  Instead for the most part we got a duller version of the movie, with the army camp jokes less funny and a male love interest with less personality than Shang.  I kept hoping for something interesting from the camp sequences, and actually wondered at one point whether the "mama's boy" character was also a girl in disguise seeking to fight in place of her father, and thought that would be kind of a nice story twist.  Mulan can't be the only woman who sneaked into the army.

The witch element was... eh.  I see what they were going for, but the Mulan in this movie wasn't deep enough for the parallel to make much of an impact.  I did like the scene in the hot stones area where the witch kept demanding that Mulan reveal her true identity.  But overall, this was a less warm, compelling, and fun movie than the animated version.  Glad I saw it, just wish I'd waited until December.

• Love 2

Another good moment was when Mulan was all dolled up for the matchmaker and she was complaining to her sister how her makeup made it hard to move her face. Because yeah back then that stuff was real thick and possibly made out of lead. 

Also the part where the commanding officer told Mulan he wanted to make a match with his daughter. I mean, you had to laugh at that.

I thought it was a grittier version than the original. One notable change was how this time Mulan chose to reveal herself to the troop, even though it meant screwing herself over, whereas the movie version she was exposed because she got hurt and the doctor...well, you know. I'd been wondering how that part was going to go down because of the PG13 rating. Binding her chest so hard literally saved her life.

Some complained about the whole chi thing but I don't think it took much away from how hard she busted her ass at training. 

• Love 3

I enjoyed it. I watched with my mother and sister, so if we saw this in the theater it would've cost us more than 30 bucks. 

It was definitely more serious, but it had its humorous moments like others have mentioned the scene where the guy loses his towel. I also liked that all that binding of her chest is what saved her and made her reveal herself as a woman. The witch was not really needed since they didn't explore her enough. I got the comparison but she just seemed kind of there. 

The action and the cinematography were amazing. I expected nothing less on that part.

I loved Ming-Na Wen's cameo. And hearing Christina Aguilera sing Reflections again. 

And I loved to finally see a new movie. I know its not ideal to release movies like this but I wouldn't mind paying for Black Widow or even WW84.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Dani said:

I agree. I really hope it gets a theatrical release eventually. 

I completely forgot about that. I thought the camp section was the best part of the movie. She really shined in those moments. 

I agree. I was surprised that one reviewer felt they were suggesting that Honghui knew she was a woman. I didn’t get that impression at all. 

Reading @Spartan Girl’s post made me realize I was wrong. The training camp section had lighthearted and funny moments.

That was heavily implied since they showed that he was awake and watching her get suited up in one scene.

9 minutes ago, Aileen said:

That was heavily implied since they showed that he was awake and watching her get suited up in one scene.

I can kind of see that but I don’t think that was the intention. It shows him wake up and look over just as she puts on the robe. I thought the implication was that he noticed something was off about Jun but didn’t know what. I really hope that wasn’t the intention because the bathing scene plays very differently if he knew. 

57 minutes ago, Dani said:

I can kind of see that but I don’t think that was the intention. It shows him wake up and look over just as she puts on the robe. I thought the implication was that he noticed something was off about Jun but didn’t know what. I really hope that wasn’t the intention because the bathing scene plays very differently if he knew. 

Yeah, I don't think he knew either. He wouldn't have been that casual with her at the lake if he knew, unless he was a giant sleaze, which he didn't come off as at all.

I did like that he stood up for her when she came back to the army to warn them. And unlike Shang he didn't seem shaken by her big reveal -- because he wasn't the commanding officer and therefore didn't have his ass on the line because of her deception. So if you go by the bisexual interpretation he was clearly open to a relationship regardless of gender.

People also seem to ship Mulan with the witch character now. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Dani said:

Ick, you’re very right!

I really wished that I was able to see this on the big screen. Damn you Covid-19.

After chasing down the enemy and fighting with the witch, and generally being all sweaty and stuff from fighting, when Mulan finally takes off her soldier's garb and let down her hair? It looked gorgeous, like hair shampoo commercial. Like a real Disney Princess.

Edited by nilyank
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Watched it again with my mom. Those that were complaining about Liu Yifei's "bland" face might want to watch the movie again, because I think she emoted pretty well. The scenes where she was trying to keep a straight face in front of the army after exposing herself, but everything in her eyes and body posture screamed scared shitless. I think we're just so spoiled by how expressive Disney cartoon faces are that real life live action can't possibly compare.

Also I can't help but be annoyed at how many complains there have been of "Mulan looks so serious, she needs to smile more!" Gosh, that sounds so familiar, where have I heard that before?

Say what you want about the actress but she sang a great cover of "Reflection" for the soundtrack:

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Also I can't help but be annoyed at how many complains there have been of "Mulan looks so serious, she needs to smile more!" Gosh, that sounds so familiar, where have I heard that before?

I feel the same way. Does anyone complain when a man doesn’t smile in a war movie? One thing I really liked about the movie is that they kept the tension of the situation in the forefront. She smiled when she chased that chicken and look where that got her. 

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Watched it again with my mom. Those that were complaining about Liu Yifei's "bland" face might want to watch the movie again, because I think she emoted pretty well. The scenes where she was trying to keep a straight face in front of the army after exposing herself, but everything in her eyes and body posture screamed scared shitless. I think we're just so spoiled by how expressive Disney cartoon faces are that real life live action can't possibly compare.

That's strange given that the Disney women's faces are based off of real faces and expressions.  It's not as if the animated Mulan had some sort of exaggerated cartoon face like, for instance, the dwarves in Snow White.  

I actually thought the animated Mulan had wonderfully subtle expressions, whether she was smiling or not (she definitely wasn't smiling in my favorite sequence, the transformation).  I'm not looking for smiles, but emotion.  The actress who played Mulan was very stiff.  Maybe that was the intent, but it prevented me from identifying with her, unlike the animated version.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

That's strange given that the Disney women's faces are based off of real faces and expressions.  It's not as if the animated Mulan had some sort of exaggerated cartoon face like, for instance, the dwarves in Snow White.  

I actually thought the animated Mulan had wonderfully subtle expressions, whether she was smiling or not (she definitely wasn't smiling in my favorite sequence, the transformation).  I'm not looking for smiles, but emotion.  The actress who played Mulan was very stiff.  Maybe that was the intent, but it prevented me from identifying with her, unlike the animated version.

Point taken, but consider the context: Mulan spends most of the movie on edge because she's disguised as a boy and one little slip up means her head. Who wouldn't be "stiff" under the circumstances. And the "lack of emotion" I interpreted as restraint. Like when she was being chewed out by the commander and expelled, she had to keep a straight face, but in the next scene when she's by herself she bursts into tears.

I don't know, those kind of complaints remind me of all the crap we got from Captain Marvel: "Carol's too stiff, too powerful, she doesn't really EARN her powers". Nobody gives a crap if a guy is poker-faced and all powerful in movies, but if it's a woman...smh

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Point taken, but consider the context: Mulan spends most of the movie on edge because she's disguised as a boy and one little slip up means her head. Who wouldn't be "stiff" under the circumstances. And the "lack of emotion" I interpreted as restraint. Like when she was being chewed out by the commander and expelled, she had to keep a straight face, but in the next scene when she's by herself she bursts into tears.

I don't know, those kind of complaints remind me of all the crap we got from Captain Marvel: "Carol's too stiff, too powerful, she doesn't really EARN her powers". Nobody gives a crap if a guy is poker-faced and all powerful in movies, but if it's a woman...smh

She was like that the entire movie, though, not just during the scenes where she pretended to be a boy.  Comparatively, there were lots of times animated Mulan didn't smile, cry, or do anything greatly demonstrative, but you could get a sense of her emotions by her expression.  I have no interest in watching men who can't/don't emote, either.  

14 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

It’s easier to do subtle emotions in animated movies than real life. In general real faces do not move enough naturally to convey the same range of emotion. What appears subtle in animation would be over the top on a real face. There’s a reason so many people have resting bitch face.

Edited by Guest
22 minutes ago, Dani said:

It’s easier to do subtle emotions in animated movies than real life. In general real faces do not move enough naturally to convey the same range of emotion. What appears subtle in animation would be over the top on a real face. There’s a reason so many people have resting bitch face.

Good actors can show feeling through their eyes, their posture, and their expression.  The actress in the live-action Mulan too often did not project anything.  Feel free to disagree.

Also, you don't think real faces could convey the expressions in this sequence?

Edited by Brn2bwild
46 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

She was like that the entire movie, though, not just during the scenes where she pretended to be a boy. 

She had moments when she wasn’t so stiff and stoic. In the beginning when she riding alongside the bunnies she’s very relaxed and smiley. Her body language is completely different than it is after starts trying to be what everyone expects her to be. In the scene when she finds out she’s been matched she emotes quite a bit. Then later her contented smile a stretch when she leapfrogs over the man who’s rolling of the bed.

One of her best moments is the campfire scene where her hand is trembles as she tries to pump the others up and then cuts the tension  with a joke. 

Edited to add the teaser which has the first section I mentioned. Personally I see a ton of emotion.

Edited by Guest