Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 7/8/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

Why on earth did Whoopi have to say that they weren't allowed to speak about the allegations of child rape against Jeffrey Epstein? Who is being protected by that decision?

If there's anything that everyone should be able to unite about, it's that having sex with kids (in other words, raping kids) is a bad and disgusting thing.

But ChicagoCita...you know Whoopi wants to re-educated us on "rape-rape."  She's been muzzled.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, SuzieSioux said:

Sunny mentioned during The Little Mermaid discussion that she hoped a drag queen would play Ursula. I think the original design for Ursula came from Divine if I'm not mistaken, so that would have been a cool choice too, I agree.

From a 2016 article by Rachel Lubitz:   

How Ursula came to be, and the real inspiration behind the character, makes her story all the more interesting. Ursula's mannerisms and much of her look — the eyeshadow, the swivel, the humor — was inspired by Divine, a Baltimore drag queen who frequently teamed up with filmmaker John Waters, playing notable characters in his films Pink Flamingos and the original Hairspray, and thusly became an infamous actress and queer icon. 

According to an in-depth article from Hazlitt, the man responsible for bringing a trash-talking drag queen into a Disney movie is playwright and lyricist Howard Ashman. He grew up in Baltimore's gay scene, during a time when Divine was a central figure, before taking a job with Disney, where he would be in charge of writing songs for original movies. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Kenz said:

She should do herself and all of us a favor and go back to her booze and guns in Arizona and stay there. 

She hasn't lived here since she left for college...and she's almost 35!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Alaskans (a small population) get a stipend because everything is so expensive and there is a lot of poverty. It’s paid for via leased (Fed owned) property thru which the oil pipelines pass. That is my understanding, anyway. I can check with a friend who lives there.  Doing this on a national level is ludicrous. 

Not so ludicrous. Investigate it.  It will reduce other social payments.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Absolutely no chitchat about their week off or the 4th, "safe" subjects (or as much as they could be).

Good point.  Why so hostile, Whoopi? We know why.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, xingu said:

Oh, Mr. Yang, if you are so keen on giving every American $1,000/month?  Why don't you start with your own gagillions and send me said amount each month?  I promise I'll vote for you.

After I wiped the $ $ off my eyes, I realized this would never happen and I got to thinking. Ok, maybe don't give $1k to EVERY American. How about just giving that monthly stipend to college students? It would encourage (and facilitate) college enrollment, which in turn would benefit the economy in the long run. To avoid students taking advantage of it (life-long learners, y'all), it would only be paid to students getting their first Bachelor's degree. 

2 hours ago, sevenrings said:

When does Whoopi NOT miss the point? I love Whoopi as a person and her movies, but she isn’t a good fit for this show anymore. She’s starting to become even worse than Meghan.

Has she ever been a good fit? Years ago she sat there, sprawled on her chair, rolling her eyes at anything the co-hosts said and hardly contributed to the discussions. 

I guess, TPTB had a talk with her about her lackadaisical attitude. 

Now she overzealously throws her two cents dollars into the ring, along with a sneer, a growl, and finger wagging.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

After I wiped the $ $ off my eyes, I realized this would never happen and I got to thinking. Ok, maybe don't give $1k to EVERY American. How about just giving that monthly stipend to college students? It would encourage (and facilitate) college enrollment, which in turn would benefit the economy in the long run. To avoid students taking advantage of it (life-long learners, y'all), it would only be paid to students getting their first Bachelor's degree. 

That is how things are done today.  Welfare, social assistance for those who need it, etc.  Basic Income is not a selective concept.  Every person gets a basic income.  It will reduce other costs borne by the government to help those in need.  It exists now in some countries and has been successfully piloted as well.

I realize it is a radical concept, but when one studies it and the data on the results, it turns out to be a sound concept.

• Love 11

Single people that don't want or can't have kids who also have medical issues that prevent them from working would benefit from at least $1000 a mo. Those on SSI don't even get $900 a mo and barely qualify if at all for any food assistance. I've known women who were out of work and needed food assistance along with medical who were told if they had a kid they'd qualify for help.  The idea of food pantries are great but not everyone has one near them and even when they do those places aren't always stocked with enough to help everyone who needs it. People who are able to work shouldn't have to work more then two jobs to barely scrape by and a monthly stipend would help with issues like that too. The prices for everything are always going up while the salaries people are receiving are still not doing the same to.

It's scary living in a situation where you're scared of breaking the bank just by needing something repaired and not even replaced, not knowing how you're to spread money around to get things paid and hope to still have at least a little bit left in case of emergency. There are plenty of other situations where that minimum amount would help too and if you think about it $1000 doesn't go that far in regards to monthly bills and costs. Especially people who don't have friends or family that can help them. It's hard out there for a lot of people. It's easier to think of the ways people would waste any proposed amount given and I understand that too.

• Love 17
9 hours ago, falltime said:

@ChicagoCita  I'm thinking there are multiple reasons why the didn't talk about Epstein. They are surrounded by connected people. a) Higher ups don't want to stir the pot. b)  I'm guessing that the ladies have heard gossip around town of other people that associate with Epstein and don't want to legally get into trouble.

So why did they even bring it up if they couldn't say anything?  It was weird.

8 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I am such a fan of Joy.  Would love a girl's night with her.

Just make sure it's clear about who will pay what. 😄

7 hours ago, xingu said:

I know I kid, but I do appreciate The View having on EVERY democratic runner. 

Agree.

Good point made above about how there was no chit chat about what everyone did for the holiday.  Awkward!

• Love 10
(edited)
9 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I used to have a long commute to work and loved having audio books in the car.  I am a huge reader.  One of my favorites is the biography written by Keith Richards and read by Johnny Depp.  It was awesome.  Rococo by Trigiani and read by Mario Cantone was just as awesome.

Having an author read their own book sometimes just kills it, in a bad way.  I listened to Dead End in Norvelt written/spoken by Gantos.  He ruined his own book.

Library tip:  If you like a certain reader you can look them up as an author.  Same goes for actors in movies.

Im a big, big reader of real print books, but some celebrity voices add so much. As do books written by international authors. ..Like Water for Chocolate is a feast for the ears.  Or a symphony. 

Trevor Noah's autobiography is incredibly awesome!!! I purposely got the audio book because his voice and diction are beautiful, plus he does the dialects and languages of different African areas wonderfully . His story( featuring his strong mother a lot) is simply the best ever. 

Also Tom Hanks reading his own book on typewriters is great fun. Like everything Tom does.  

David Spade is hilarious reading his autobio. And he does good imitations of others from SNL. Super snarky and so, so funny (and frank abt his absentee dad, snl,  frat bullying, struggling to make it, and drug use).  

Oh, back to thread.... STFU MM. 

Joy is awesome. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 12
(edited)

Thank you.  It's all CGI. Why the kerfuffle?  And the last time I checked mermaids were kinda aqua colored.  When you show me a race that is aqua colored (and I would love to meet them) then they, and only they, can claim "cultural appropriation".  Whatever the fuck that means.  The rest can just fuck off.  Jesus Christ on a cracker; can't we just hire the best talent for the role.

Did Hamilton teach us nothing?

And spoiler alert, Lea Solonga, the star of the original Miss Saigon was not from Vietnam.  The world didn't end.  And she was fantastical.

Edited by xingu
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

But ChicagoCita...you know Whoopi wants to re-educated us on "rape-rape."  She's been muzzled.

I suspect Whoopi was muzzled, but I don't think TPTB would have muzzled the others objecting to child rape (unless they worried it would prompt WG to repeat her "it's not rape-rape" comment)

• Love 4
(edited)
30 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Could it be that the Little Mermaid is going to be as live action as the new lion king is and that the people are indeed just voicing it?

No, its live action, not CGI. Like tha Aladdin remake.

Of course, there will be special effects, mermaid tail and all, but Ariel will be  black. That's why people are bitching about it.

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
26 minutes ago, xingu said:

Thank you.  It's all CGI. Why the kerfuffle?  And the last time I checked mermaids were kinda aqua colored.  When you show me a race that is aqua colored (and I would love to meet them) then they, and only they, can claim "cultural appropriation".  Whatever the fuck that means.  The rest can just fuck off.  Jesus Christ on a cracker; can't we just hire the best talent for the role.

Live action, not CGI.

I agree with getting the best talent, which is what disney is doing. The "kerfuffle" is that people think Ariel has a specific look, and the casting of the movie has to follow that.  I guess they think it's easy to find an actress who looks like a cartoon, AND can sing and act.

What I see on twitter is that people are not saying what a REAL mermaid looks like, they are saying that ARIEL, is white with red hair. It's ridiculous, since Ariel is a disney character, and Disney can re-invent their properties. 

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 9

I guess I don't know what the definition of live-action is.  I've seen the trailer:  Lions do not just smile and talk to the camera or congregate on the edge of a cliff.   Lions and warthogs and meerkats do not form a conga line in real life.  Male lions do not anoint their offspring; they eat them.  It may be interspersed with real critters, but it is 99% CGI.

Anywho, we all know that Whoopi will be on that bandwagon.  She loves her Disney checks and freebies.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
32 minutes ago, xingu said:

I guess I don't know what the definition of live-action is.  I've seen the trailer:  Lions do not just smile and talk to the camera or congregate on the edge of a cliff.   Lions and warthogs and meerkats do not form a conga line in real life.  Male lions do not anoint their offspring; they eat them.  It may be interspersed with real critters, but it is 99% CGI.

Anywho, we all know that Whoopi will be on that bandwagon.  She loves her Disney checks and freebies.

YES, The LION KING movie is CGI, of course.  Because they are animals, not actors.  

the LITTLE MERMAID remake , like the ALADDIN remake, is live action -   with actors.  They also remade Beauty and the Beast as a live action movie.  People weren't yelling about it because the actors cast looked at least somewhat similar to the cartoon versions. 

The recent controversy is that the live action actor  in the Little Mermaid does not share the hair and skin color of the animated version of the character of Ariel (the mermaid). 

(is it me? I apologize if I keep repeating myself, I think what I'm saying is clear, but my point keeps getting misunderstood.  maybe I haven't had enough coffee.)

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 14

From my understanding, the Little Mermaid movie will be live action/CGI so unlike the Lion King where it's purely effects and voice-overs, this actresses' voice AND image will be used in the movie much like Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin used live actors to portray characters. It seems Whoopi is under the impression that it's just a voice over job for the actress which led her to make a point that wasn't relevant or speak to the heart of the issue. Thankfully the others understood and could at least rightfully acknowledge the ridiculousness of thinking that a race could own a character in animation.

If a city/country can successfully pilot and implement programs like the ones Yang was talking about, good for them. I don't think America is ready for ideas like that when they're still struggling to convince large segments of the population that healthcare and education should not be a privilege for the rich. At the very least, I hope he's made available real-time data and studies that demonstrate previous successful attempts at this program and reasonable measures that can be undertaken to expand those programs in a way that is inclusive to the entire US population which is pretty damn big. It's great to say that you're going to take money from the 1% to pay for everything, but what does that really look like? I'm under the impression that the increased taxes for the rich strategy is going to be put toward this stipend for life program and services like marriage counseling as opposed to healthcare and/or education?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

No, its live action, not CGI. Like tha Aladdin remake.

Of course, there will be special effects, mermaid tail and all, but Ariel will be  black. That's why people are bitching about it.

I get it....but they’re calling the Lion King love action too. That’s what I’m saying. 

• Love 1

I was glad McCain shut up during the census discussion. Reminded me of the way the show was before she came on, when everyone could just talk without screaming. Abby can at least fit with that dynamic.

I'm sure Joy is crying her poor heart out over being "mean" to Mitch McConnell. LOL And Meghan McCain isn't a hateful bitch to everyone and everything at all. /sarcasm

• LOL 6
  • Love 12

This is from the census.gov website:

As mandated by the U.S. Constitution, our nation gets just one chance each decade to count its population. The U.S. census counts every resident in the United States.

It says it counts RESIDENTS. To me that means both US citizens and non citizens alike. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

It's ridiculous, since Ariel is a disney character,

Technically she’s a Hans Christian Anderson character and closely tied to Danish culture. And incidentally, Disney is doing a live action Mulan too. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Loved Joy's shout out to Julie K. Brown*, Miami Herald investigative journalist who wrote about Epstein. No more air time for Dershowitz please. Let the victims be heard.

*If you're on twitter, she's a good one to follow

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 16

Ugh, homophobe Vivica Fox, no thanks.

I agree with others who've suggested Joy might've got an eye-lift. I definitely don't judge her if she did; I probably would, too, at her age, if I had the money she has. It's possible she had both eyelift surgery and cataract surgery within the same week though.

• Love 8

Joy looked different today, almost as if she has some work done on her face.

She been wearing the sunglasses for a while and no regular glasses today,  but something didn't seem the same. I don't if it is just because she didn't have glasses on.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Ugh, homophobe Vivica Fox, no thanks

You are correct about that! I saw her at a live taping on the Steve Harvey Show (in Chicago) when she was promoting her all Male strippers and she said that gay men were not welcome to the shows. Straight men, however, were welcome to come with their girlfriends and wives.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/8/2019 at 9:14 PM, falltime said:

giphy.gif

I am not watching but I saw this earlier this morning and immediately noticed something different about Joy, just from this little snippet.  I also have a co-worker who had the same cataract surgery that Joy had, as far as I know seeing as I am not a doctor, and she did not have to wear sunglasses for days afterwards.

Edited by Cementhead
Removed all of my extra rambling that was unnecessary.
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Joy looked different today, almost as if she has some work done on her face.

She been wearing the sunglasses for a while and no regular glasses today,  but something didn't seem the same. I don't if it is just because she didn't have glasses on.

I don't think she had work done, but her eye makeup has been very odd these past two days. There are parts of her outer eye lid that do not have eyeliner/eyeshadow.

I DO think that MM had botox over break, though, as the middle of her forehead is frozen and smooth.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, rickhurst3186 said:

You are correct about that! I saw her at a live taping on the Steve Harvey Show (in Chicago) when she was promoting her all Male strippers and she said that gay men were not welcome to the shows. Straight men, however, were welcome to come with their girlfriends and wives.

She's definitely doing damage control when talking about Mayor Pete.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I also have a co-worker who had the same surgery as Joy had and she did not have to wear sunglasses for days afterwards.

I agree, but gave her the benefit of the doubt because she works under bright studio lights. Who knows! I think she probably had a little nip/tuck, though. Not judging, just hurt she isn't being honest with me  us. I thought we were friends....😜

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
Just now, Blissfool said:

I agree, but gave her the benefit of the doubt because she works under bright studio lights. Who knows! I think she probably had a little nip/tuck, though. Not judging, just hurt she isn't being honest with me  us. I thought we were friends....😜

I did, too. 

• Love 4

I had cataract surgery and didn’t need dark glasses but also thought maybe the lights were bothering her. She looked different to me too. No false eyelashes maybe?

• Love 7

I had thought Andrew Yang a nothing flake from the debate, but he presented himself and his projected policies very well on the View this week. I can now respect him.

Whoopi needs to stop lecturing the universe.

Someone needs to make a Greta montage of her saying the same shit about every product she shills... one all about shoes, another about makeup. Can they all be her favorites?

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

Are people clamoring to hear more about Meghan's sex life? I don't want to hear about it at all. I think we all know it involves flags, shooting guns, drinking either Jello shots or JD and a lot of screeching. I don't need to know any more than that and I wish I didn't know that.

Meghan's message to Kourtney she needs to go the mirror and tell herself that shit.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I also LOATHE audio books. The only exception would be is if ❤️💕 ❤️🥰Daniel Day-Lewis❤️💕❤️🥰 or ❤️💕❤️🥰Tom Hiddleston❤️💕❤️🥰 did the reading. I could listen to them read the fucking phone book, their voices are sae sexay! Add Sam Heughan to that list, BUT only if he uses his Scots brogue, channeling James Alexander Malcom Fraser.🥰🥰

Wot?

Yeah those voices might make it more tolerable.  HA!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Important?  is that the criteria for posting here?  

Ok, maybe important isn't the correct word. I meant that I had no idea that The Little Mermaid was such a hot button issue that would be discussed for days on end. By all means if it is something that you are very much interested in of course you should post about it. I was simply making a statement. No ill intent implied. I thought we were all friends here. My apologies if I offended you. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, rickhurst3186 said:

Ok, maybe important isn't the correct word. I meant that I had no idea that The Little Mermaid was such a hot button issue that would be discussed for days on end. By all means if it is something that you are very much interested in of course you should post about it. I was simply making a statement. No ill intent implied. I thought we were all friends here. My apologies if I offended you. 

You're not the only one who doesn't give a shit about The Little Mermaid!!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 14

I remember my great-grandmother wearing sunglasses after her cataract surgery. 

Joy mentioned having put off her surgery for quite a while; maybe the cataracts were thicker, which could have blocked more light for a longer period of time, thus potentially making her eyes more sensitive at first.

Plus, I imagine studio lights are brighter than average, and aimed directly at the the table.

I agree her eyes look different - to me it looks like her eye makeup is much heavier.  Maybe a new makeup artist?

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I had cataract surgery and didn’t need dark glasses but also thought maybe the lights were bothering her

Joy explained that she had to wear the glasses because of the brightness of the studio lights.  My doctor told me to wear sunglasses whenever I was outside anyway...but especially for the first year after surgery.  I'm in the Phoenix area.  It's always bright when it's daylight.

I loved Joy's saying that Whoopi looked "white" to her.  I was surprised that everything was so bright and clear.  I had one eye done several months before the other (Medicare said one eye wasn't "bad" enough yet)...so I was able to see the real difference.  A miracle!

1 minute ago, Medicine Crow said:

You're not the only one who doesn't give a shit about The Little Mermaid!!!

I didn't see the first one!  I did "save" all the animated Disney movies I hadn't seen on my Netflix queue...but I gave up.  I guess if I had grandchildren I'd at least know the names of the characters.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:
11 minutes ago, rickhurst3186 said:

Ok, maybe important isn't the correct word. I meant that I had no idea that The Little Mermaid was such a hot button issue that would be discussed for days on end.

Apparently it IS a hot-button issue all over the 'net.  Here's one report:  In July 2019, news reports announced that Halle Bailey, half of the sister duo Chloe x Halle, would be starring as Ariel in an upcoming live-action remake of Disney’s version of “The Little Mermaid.” That news was met in some quarters, Emma Teitel wrote, with “an avalanche of hateful, racist comments from white people who cannot abide a Black Ariel; white people who are livid that anyone other than a Caucasian red-head was cast in the role.”

Apparently NO ONE is concerned or interested that at some point a woman had intercourse with a fish.

• LOL 19
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I get it....but they’re calling the Lion King love action too. That’s what I’m saying. 

Although the media reported The Lion King to be a live-action film, it actually utilizes photorealistic computer-generated animation. Disney did not describe it as live-action, only stating it would follow the "technologically groundbreaking" approach of The Jungle Book.

(Sorry to keep responding; I don't know what's wrong with me.  Hope I'm not pontificating.)

Edited by HaaCHOO
The apology.
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
(edited)
46 minutes ago, rickhurst3186 said:

Days on end? It’s just been two days. And yes, it’s a hot button for people considering how so  many people are raising a stink that a black actress was cast to play what “they” think is a white red-headed fictional character. Not just on this show, but also in the movie thread. 

Plus, we talk about all topics or one topic that takes place on this show, whether it was on Monday or Wednesday, etc.  There’s just so much of Her Twatness to discuss.

ETA: Speaking for myself, I know, in the past, I'd watch the week's show at the end of the week and then post about stuff from Monday's show; or mid-week's, or the whole damn week, depending on my thoughts about them. We're not limited to talk about what happened on Monday's show on Monday only, etc.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 13
19 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

Although the media reported The Lion King to be a live-action film, it actually utilizes photorealistic computer-generated animation. Disney did not describe it as live-action, only stating it would follow the "technologically groundbreaking" approach of The Jungle Book.

(Sorry to keep responding; I don't know what's wrong with me. Hope I'm not pontificating.)

😄, this made me laugh. A few weeks ago I kept responding to a certain topic. I can't even remember what it was or what thread but I didn't even care that much and said the same thing to myself as I responded again. 😀

• LOL 6
  • Love 3