Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Quilt Fairy

S06.E05: The Kill

Recommended Posts

Quote

While most of the participants pursue smaller, more consistent food sources, one survivalist finally has the chance to take down big game; he soon finds himself attracting unwanted attention from predators.

Airs Thursday, 7/11/19.

Edited by Quilt Fairy

Share this post


Link to post

Poor moose. I muted the sound so I wouldn’t hear his cries. Can Jordan effectively smoke/preserve the moose meat the way he is doing it? Why didn’t he bring a big knife if he planned on hunting large game?

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Amazing that Jordan was able to bag a moose with a bow and arrow. Gives next season’s contestants something to think about. 

Don't tell me that what’s-her-name mistakenly sets her shelter on fire again next week. Oy vey!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

When Nikki was just about to lick her knife.....I held my breath...until she came to her senses and didn't....

Happy 45th birthday, Nikki and thank you for not cutting your tongue off on camera...cheese and crackers, lady.....scared the crap out of the viewers...

The moose died relatively quiet compared to the hare who did make whimpering noises into the mic before getting its neck snapped and of course, the loud suffering squirrel........

Woniya making the rabbit skin rope...anybody else think that when she  went off camera to hang her fur strip that some animal was going to swoop in and steal the skinned rabbit from her campsite....

Jordan...feasting on his moose bounty...The half million prize money is his to lose....no way he can lose unless he injures himself, food poisons himself by not smoking and preserving the moose meat or a predator fights him for his food cache...

 Jordan can just be a Sam and lounge around waiting for the others to starve and drop out or in one case set herself on fire ...again....

Jordan brought down a bull moose with one arrow while filming himself and field dressing it with a small knife..this is why we watch Alone....not to watch someone win by squishing mice in dead fall traps and living off their bulked on pre drop off body fat...

Brady stated that one moose is worth 100 fish....guess he has 99 more fish to catch since he  decided to forgo a bow for  snares, traps and fishing lines as the way to feed himself...

Jordan's feat will blow all the others' minds when they tap out and find out about his moose.....but whoever traps the wolverine in the tease is pretty badass, too

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

I loved this episode, I actually learned a few things!    So sad it was only on an hour.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Repeating what everyone else is saying, but this episode was great. Jordan’s taking down and field-dressing that moose was brilliant, why (as @humbleopinion wrote) we watch the show, even if hard to watch. One of the very best Alone moments.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Congratulations to Jordan for being the first contestant to bring down big game on the show. I'm assuming that he was a lot closer to the moose when he took the shot and that it took a little bit of time for him to get the camera and to focus on the moose.

11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Poor moose. I muted the sound so I wouldn’t hear his cries. Can Jordan effectively smoke/preserve the moose meat the way he is doing it? Why didn’t he bring a big knife if he planned on hunting large game? 

I think that most "skinning" knives are on the small side, at least for taking the hide off the animal. It's more finesse than brute strength as you don't want to poke any holes in the hide. Sectioning the moose can be done with a small knife as you section it at the bone joints. The only need for a big knife/axe may be if you are trying to get through the backbone. Too bad that he contaminated a lot of the meet with the stomach contents, I'm curious if he kept that and just washed it off or if he decided that it was too sketchy to keep it.

From their timeline it looks like it took about 3 hours for the moose to die and 5 - 6 hours to butcher and transport it the 1/4 mile back to his camp. Lucky for him that it was such a short distance.

Smoking meat or fish will preserve it for quite a while although I would think that he would want to do it more like beef jerky with thinner slices which I think would last longer.

Congratulations also to Brady (trout), Nikki (hare), and Woniya (hare) for their catches. I had to laugh at the hare going past the camera just ahead of Nikki - it doesn't look as if she even noticed it, or the tracks.  Of course she would have had to place the camera there just before to film herself so maybe she startled it into hiding the first time and it was just getting away again when the camera caught it. Woniya is going to be disappointed if she thinks that she can catch a rabbit a day, I can't see any way that there is a large population in the area.

I'm also curious about the fishing, did Brady quit after he caught the 1 fish? Or is this just the editing? If I'm catching one fish at a location I'm staying there and I'm going to try to catch a dozen. I really wish that production would add some info such as "Brady caught the 5 lb trout after fishing for 3 hours, he continued to fish for another 3 hours but didn't catch anything else that day". I still can't understand why he doesn't use a long pole to cast his lure/hook more than 10 feet.

Nathan was lucky that it's early in the fall and could get back to his camp. It looked bad from the long camera shot but if it was a real blizzard (whiteout) he could have had problems.

I'm not sure why everyone is so quiet when they hear an animal near their camp. I'd be yelling and screaming as loud as I could to scare it away before I looked out. Does anyone know if they give the contestants whistles, air horns, or bear spray?

All in all an interesting episode with three out of 6 managing to feed themselves. Who were we missing? Michelle?

4 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Jordan...feasting on his moose bounty...The half million prize money is his to lose

I agree, he has the best chance. Even if he screwed up the butchering he should have a couple of hundred pounds of meat which would last months.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Tanstaafl said:

I'm also curious about the fishing, did Brady quit after he caught the 1 fish? Or is this just the editing? If I'm catching one fish at a location I'm staying there and I'm going to try to catch a dozen.

5 minutes ago, Tanstaafl said:

I'm not sure why everyone is so quiet when they hear an animal near their camp. I'd be yelling and screaming as loud as I could to scare it away before I looked out. Does anyone know if they give the contestants whistles, air horns, or bear spray?

That was my first thought when he caught that fish also. If you caught one shouldn't you try to get more? If they are biting get as many as you can.

2nd quote: I thought she was crazy! 'I hear a large predator outside my shelter, let's go look at it!' Either make a lot of noise or stay where you are with whatever weapon you may have. And it looked like she was one without a fire inside her shelter.

Speaking of which-next week- Again!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Don't tell me that what’s-her-name mistakenly sets her shelter on fire again next week. Oy vey!

I keep thinking of a scene at the end of The Hunt For Red October: "Mr Foreign Secretary, do you mean to tell me your country has lost another submarine?"

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

That was my first thought when he caught that fish also. If you caught one shouldn't you try to get more? If they are biting get as many as you can.

Their fishing strategies don't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'd try to identify the most likely places (an stream feeding the lake, current/narrows, drop offs, weeds) and fish a number of areas until I found fish, then fish those areas heavily for a couple of hours near dawn and dusk, I'd be looking for at least a couple of fish a day but if they are biting I'd try for at least half a dozen and smoke them for later. You know that freeze up is not far away. Of course I'd also be using a gill net and moving it every day if necessary.

 I'm surprised that no one has spent the time to do sharpened stakes around their shelter, mind you some of the locations my be too rocky. Not that they would stop a bear but they may dissuade it from coming right up to your shelter.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I had to laugh at the edit last night where you had footage of Jordan waiting for his moose to die so he could butcher it and feast juxtaposed with footage of Brady congratulating himself for not wasting one of his survival items on a bow and arrow, 'cuz nobody ever bags big game like a moose and it is much more sensible to concentrate on fishing and small game....

I do worry that there's no way Jordan is going to be able to adequately preserve his moose meat safely.  Those were pretty big hunks he had hanging to smoke over that puny fire.  I'm no outdoorsman, nor do I play one on TV, but I would think cutting the meat into smaller chunks would smoke and preserve it faster, and thus more safely.  I have to think that even though the outside of those big roasts get smoked, there's still a raw and spoiling core.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, the bacteria and oxygen would have to get into the core, so maybe the surface smoking "seals" it, but these aren't laboratory conditions and....  I also wonder about all that meat attracting predators.  Bears are looking to feed up to hibernate, but even after they hibernate, there are other predators about that don't hibernate...

Speaking of which, is wolverine meat even that good?  I guess it is protein, and food is food under these circumstances, but I have understood that carnivore meat is nasty and herbivore meat is much tastier. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Salzmank said:

Repeating what everyone else is saying, but this episode was great. Jordan’s taking down and field-dressing that moose was brilliant, why (as @humbleopinion wrote) we watch the show, even if hard to watch. One of the very best Alone moments.

6 hours ago, Tatortot said:

I loved this episode, I actually learned a few things!    So sad it was only on an hour.

7 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

When Nikki was just about to lick her knife.....I held my breath...until she came to her senses and didn't....

Happy 45th birthday, Nikki and thank you for not cutting your tongue off on camera...cheese and crackers, lady.....scared the crap out of the viewers...

The moose died relatively quiet compared to the hare who did make whimpering noises into the mic before getting its neck snapped and of course, the loud suffering squirrel........

Woniya making the rabbit skin rope...anybody else think that when she  went off camera to hang her fur strip that some animal was going to swoop in and steal the skinned rabbit from her campsite....

Jordan...feasting on his moose bounty...The half million prize money is his to lose....no way he can lose unless he injures himself, food poisons himself by not smoking and preserving the moose meat or a predator fights him for his food cache...

 Jordan can just be a Sam and lounge around waiting for the others to starve and drop out or in one case set herself on fire ...again....

Jordan brought down a bull moose with one arrow while filming himself and field dressing it with a small knife..this is why we watch Alone....not to watch someone win by squishing mice in dead fall traps and living off their bulked on pre drop off body fat...

Brady stated that one moose is worth 100 fish....guess he has 99 more fish to catch since he  decided to forgo a bow for  snares, traps and fishing lines as the way to feed himself...

Jordan's feat will blow all the others' minds when they tap out and find out about his moose.....but whoever traps the wolverine in the tease is pretty badass, too

3 hours ago, Tanstaafl said:

Congratulations to Jordan for being the first contestant to bring down big game on the show. I'm assuming that he was a lot closer to the moose when he took the shot and that it took a little bit of time for him to get the camera and to focus on the moose.

I think that most "skinning" knives are on the small side, at least for taking the hide off the animal. It's more finesse than brute strength as you don't want to poke any holes in the hide. Sectioning the moose can be done with a small knife as you section it at the bone joints. The only need for a big knife/axe may be if you are trying to get through the backbone. Too bad that he contaminated a lot of the meet with the stomach contents, I'm curious if he kept that and just washed it off or if he decided that it was too sketchy to keep it.

From their timeline it looks like it took about 3 hours for the moose to die and 5 - 6 hours to butcher and transport it the 1/4 mile back to his camp. Lucky for him that it was such a short distance.

Smoking meat or fish will preserve it for quite a while although I would think that he would want to do it more like beef jerky with thinner slices which I think would last longer.

Congratulations also to Brady (trout), Nikki (hare), and Woniya (hare) for their catches. I had to laugh at the hare going past the camera just ahead of Nikki - it doesn't look as if she even noticed it, or the tracks.  Of course she would have had to place the camera there just before to film herself so maybe she startled it into hiding the first time and it was just getting away again when the camera caught it. Woniya is going to be disappointed if she thinks that she can catch a rabbit a day, I can't see any way that there is a large population in the area.

I'm also curious about the fishing, did Brady quit after he caught the 1 fish? Or is this just the editing? If I'm catching one fish at a location I'm staying there and I'm going to try to catch a dozen. I really wish that production would add some info such as "Brady caught the 5 lb trout after fishing for 3 hours, he continued to fish for another 3 hours but didn't catch anything else that day". I still can't understand why he doesn't use a long pole to cast his lure/hook more than 10 feet.

Nathan was lucky that it's early in the fall and could get back to his camp. It looked bad from the long camera shot but if it was a real blizzard (whiteout) he could have had problems.

I'm not sure why everyone is so quiet when they hear an animal near their camp. I'd be yelling and screaming as loud as I could to scare it away before I looked out. Does anyone know if they give the contestants whistles, air horns, or bear spray?

All in all an interesting episode with three out of 6 managing to feed themselves. Who were we missing? Michelle?

I agree, he has the best chance. Even if he screwed up the butchering he should have a couple of hundred pounds of meat which would last months.

Best episode ever. What we thought would never happen actually happened.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Really enjoyed this episode. I think it was Brady's shelter that had the big rock fireplace/hearth,  that's the only one that looks safe as far as preventing a fire. I was thinking the same thing about the fish, he said he could eat another 4 or 6 days depending on the size of the filets.....I'm thinking, go out there and get what you can while you're not starving. Oh well maybe he did. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I do worry that there's no way Jordan is going to be able to adequately preserve his moose meat safely.  Those were pretty big hunks he had hanging to smoke over that puny fire.  I'm no outdoorsman, nor do I play one on TV, but I would think cutting the meat into smaller chunks would smoke and preserve it faster, and thus more safely.  I have to think that even though the outside of those big roasts get smoked, there's still a raw and spoiling core.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, the bacteria and oxygen would have to get into the core, so maybe the surface smoking "seals" it, but these aren't laboratory conditions and....

100% agree. Obviously smoking a whole ham or turkey breast can be done, but it's best under controlled conditions. I would imagine thin strips of meat would be the way to go which would turn this into moose jerky.

I know for fish most of the First Nations people will gut the fish, remove the head, leave the skin on, and then score the flesh in an "X" pattern to open the flesh up to the smoke. Just hang the fish over a horizontal pole skin side down and you have a fish rack.

1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Speaking of which, is wolverine meat even that good?  I guess it is protein, and food is food under these circumstances, but I have understood that carnivore meat is nasty and herbivore meat is much tastier. 

Moose is delicious, and bear is okay (but they are omnivores). I don't know from experience but I'm thinking that wolverine would be tough as they are incredibly strong (and mean).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

What was outside Nikki's camp with the good sized paws with toenails and drag tracks?

 Throw out your guesses....

Edited by humbleopinion

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

What was outside Nikki's camp with the good sized paws with toenails and drag tracks?

Bear or wolverine, definitely not lynx or wolf as you would only have 4 toes showing.

The attached is what I assume to be a small black bear outside my house from the spring of 2018. Came right up to the back of the house and around the back deck then out the front and through the neighbour's yard to a farmer's field.

015 - Copy.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

Best episode ever. What we thought would never happen actually happened.

Yep, people are finally getting real food, and the irony is not lost on me that I thought it was a horrible episode.  I couldn't stand to look at the moose dying and then Jordan field dressing the carcass, not to mention those 2 adorable bunnies.  I have no problem with fish, or mice, or slugs, or berries, but last night? Ugh. 

  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Yep, people are finally getting real food, and the irony is not lost on me that I thought it was a horrible episode.  I couldn't stand to look at the moose dying and then Jordan field dressing the carcass, not to mention those 2 adorable bunnies.  I have no problem with fish, or mice, or slugs, or berries, but last night? Ugh. 

It was hard for me to see those beautiful animals killed as well. It hit me that Alone has really not been a gory show because most people have had so little success getting any real game in the previous seasons. The Moose guy will let us test out the theory of whether or not bagging  one large source of animal protein basically wins the prize. It feels more satisfying than “fattest one wins”.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Yep, people are finally getting real food, and the irony is not lost on me that I thought it was a horrible episode.  I couldn't stand to look at the moose dying and then Jordan field dressing the carcass, not to mention those 2 adorable bunnies.  I have no problem with fish, or mice, or slugs, or berries, but last night? Ugh. 

Yep, and the irony is definitely not lost on me, who started last week off with a deer accident, that "Alone" would pick this week of all weeks to start in with the bigger game killings.  I was driving along a pretty busy road in the middle of the day just a half a mile before Home Depot, Target and Wally World when an obviously spooked deer came out of nowhere at 90 mph. headlong into my driver's side front corner.  I had no time to react, it was that fast, plus I was doing the speed limit, which at that point was 50.  When it hit my SUV it went "pow" then bounced off onto the side of a box truck going in the opposite direction.  The poor thing lost a hoof in the process, probably caught in the wheel well or run over.  I was in shock standing on the side of the road with the good Samaritans and the box truck driver watching the deer die until the police came.  I was a MESS.  I really didn't know how an up close experience like that would feel, but I now know that I don't have it in me to be a hunter.  I'm still getting over it, but I am better now.

That said, it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would to watch this episode.  The fact that it was on TV and not in real life helped.  I've seen Tony Bourdain's shows in which he witnessed livestock being killed and butchered.  Plus when I was a kid my Italian grandma used to get freshly killed rabbits from the live market and butcher them herself so I've seen them in pretty much every state.  I'm a decent home cook and have done enough cutting up of carcasses to be able to compartmentalize that.  And I suppose I don't have as much of a problem with animals dying when it's not in real life and when I'm not the cause.  The deer accident was truly a tragedy.  I think killing to survive is another thing altogether.  Plus I am for more hunting to control our out-of-control deer population right now.  I only wish that would happen because these accidents are on the rise in my area.

Anyway, I actually do think it was a great episode in spite of all that, LOL.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

What was outside Nikki's camp with the good sized paws with toenails and drag tracks?

 Throw out your guesses....

Demogorgon.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Tanstaafl said:

I'm not sure why everyone is so quiet when they hear an animal near their camp. I'd be yelling and screaming as loud as I could to scare it away before I looked out. Does anyone know if they give the contestants whistles, air horns, or bear spray?

They used to.  This is definitely different than the early seasons, when they were blowing those air horns every five minutes it seemed.  

Funny how they've had so much success in hunting and trapping animals this season, when a lot of us figured they'd be starving out in record time in the Arctic.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/12/2019 at 11:44 AM, Tanstaafl said:

I'm not sure why everyone is so quiet when they hear an animal near their camp. I'd be yelling and screaming as loud as I could to scare it away before I looked out. Does anyone know if they give the contestants whistles, air horns, or bear spray?

Don't quote me on this but I seem to remember that all the participants received bear horns when in the other locations.   It wasn't counted as part of their personal items.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/12/2019 at 8:39 AM, humbleopinion said:

ppy 45th birthday, Nikki and thank you for not cutting your tongue off on camera...cheese and crackers, lady.....scared the crap out of the viewers..

or starting something on fire with the candles you were holding with your eyes closed as they flared up, yikes!

Also sleeping with all that meat, like a burrito....I'm too scared to have my toothpaste in my tent when I go camping in bear country so I could never do that! But yes much more interesting then just watching people starve to death.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Felt bad for Nathan, still think the guy got a raw deal. 

Felt bad for the moose and hares. 

Did not feel that bad for Brady and his cramps. Jesus God dude, I know those hurt, but that was some dramatics. Also, please tell us your stick is suppose to be a guitar BEFORE you start stroking it. 

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/12/2019 at 3:10 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Speaking of which, is wolverine meat even that good?  I guess it is protein, and food is food under these circumstances, but I have understood that carnivore meat is nasty and herbivore meat is much tastier. 

I always find it weird that people eat carnivorous mammals.  It just seems unnatural.  However, starvation might make anything seem tasty.

Am I the only one thinking, bagging big game may not be worth the trouble?  There's the inherent danger of hunting something that could potentially kill you.  Then there's the time and effort involved in processing such a large animal.  Also, there's the probability a certain portion will go bad before you can eat it.  And finally, you're constantly on guard worrying about predators trying to steal your kill.  If fishing or trapping could set you up with a lake trout or a rabbit every day or couple of days, I think I might consider that route.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, maczero said:

Am I the only one thinking, bagging big game may not be worth the trouble?  There's the inherent danger of hunting something that could potentially kill you. 

That has definitely crossed my mind.  But if everything works out, having that moose will be a huge luxury.  And if he ends up with the $500,000, I'm sure he'd say it was worth it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, maczero said:

Am I the only one thinking, bagging big game may not be worth the trouble?  There's the inherent danger of hunting something that could potentially kill you.  Then there's the time and effort involved in processing such a large animal.  Also, there's the probability a certain portion will go bad before you can eat it.  And finally, you're constantly on guard worrying about predators trying to steal your kill.  If fishing or trapping could set you up with a lake trout or a rabbit every day or couple of days, I think I might consider that route.

I think that it's a risk/reward calculation. While a wounded moose may charge you the odds on it doing so would be low, especially if bow shot in the lungs. If killed there really should be no issue in preserving the majority of the meat and in this survival scenario it should make the difference. Predators could be an issue but much less so after the meat is smoked.

Tackling a bear or wolverine on the other hand has a much higher potential for injury or death. While I could see some of the participants trying to take down a bear IMHO it's not a good choice when armed only with a bow.

As for surviving on lake trout or rabbit, I doubt that there is an abundance of rabbit/hare and I would think that the participants will be finding that they have snared most of them.  For the life of me I can't figure out why they have so few fish. Great Slave Lake is known for trophy fishing and big fish eat little fish. Certainly a lot may depend upon location (and boy would a boat help), but I just don't see the effort being put in to catch at least a fish a day. The people who brought gill nets should be well stocked by now, and they aren't. Remember the shoreline will be starting to freeze over soon and they need to have food put up to last them until the end.

Thanks to those who remembered the air horns from past seasons, maybe we will see them again in the upcoming episode.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Tanstaafl said:

The people who brought gill nets should be well stocked by now, and they aren't.

Were they allowed gill nets this season?  Last year in Mongolia they were not. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Were they allowed gill nets this season?  Last year in Mongolia they were not. 

They were in the supply lists that someone posted a link to in a previous thread. Bear horns were not listed but I don't know if they list something that they give them without choosing?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/14/2019 at 9:26 PM, Blackie said:

or starting something on fire with the candles you were holding with your eyes closed as they flared up, yikes!

I was positive she was going to burn her eyebrows off!  🤣

I looked around trying to find out if they still give them air horns, bear spray, flares etc., and everything I found was old.  Way before this season.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/15/2019 at 4:02 PM, TVbitch said:

Felt bad for Nathan, still think the guy got a raw deal. 

Felt bad for the moose and hares. 

Did not feel that bad for Brady and his cramps. Jesus God dude, I know those hurt, but that was some dramatics. Also, please tell us your stick is suppose to be a guitar BEFORE you start stroking it. 

Brady is just a little too “on” for my tastes. Some people are naturally charismatic on camera and some others just come off as annoying. Brady is in the latter category for me.

Edited by qtpye
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/15/2019 at 3:02 PM, TVbitch said:

Did not feel that bad for Brady and his cramps. Jesus God dude, I know those hurt, but that was some dramatics.

Well crap.  Now I'm going to have to re-watch.  I thought that was Barry with his stained berry teeth who had the cramps, not Brady.  Yep, just watched again and it was Barry, not Brady with the cramps and air guitar.  I don't like Barry, either.  

~~~~~~

Also, I thought it was Jordan, not Nathan, who had the section that was burned.  (and btw, is it bad that I didn't even remember Nathan, Mr No-ferro-rod-for-me until he started tromping around?)

~~~~~~

Also, and maybe some of you can enlighten me, I don't understand why Jordan skinned the moose.  I mean, seriously??  Ours was a hunting family, and nobody ever skinned the animal.  The first thing was gutting the kill (and yes, with a hunting knife and not a little tiny knife and it took maybe 10 minutes?).  Perhaps he was transported back into Siberia when he may have needed the hide.........but that was a waste of time and energy.  Okay, maybe I do understand why he did it, but I'll bet when he watches this back, he'll kinda laugh at himself.  I also understand why he chose that particular tool, but I bet he was frustrated every step of the way when gutting.  Perhaps he never really thought he'd actually harvest a large animal.  But, KUDOS to Jordan.  That was absolutely amazing!!!!!!

Best episode ever!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MostlyContent said:

Also, and maybe some of you can enlighten me, I don't understand why Jordan skinned the moose.  I mean, seriously??  Ours was a hunting family, and nobody ever skinned the animal

What kind of animals did your family hunt? Mine hunted deer, and it was always skinned after the body cavity was cleaned out of all organs. A moose is very similar to a deer, and bow-hunting season is as big a deal here as regular deer season.

https://www.hunter-ed.com/washington/studyGuide/Field-Dressing-a-Deer-Detailed-Instructions/20105001_700046905/ 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Were they allowed gill nets this season?  Last year in Mongolia they were not

Nathan caught what looked like a 10 - 15 lb lake trout in episode 1 using a gill net. He had it strung under a couple of poles which he had tied together to get it further out into the water.

There is a small commercial fishery on Great Slave Lake although the East Arm, where they are filming, is known for it's sport fishing, primarily lake trout and grayling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, dgpolo said:

They were in the supply lists that someone posted a link to in a previous thread. Bear horns were not listed but I don't know if they list something that they give them without choosing?

I was unable to find a list of safety items although I have seen them listed in the past.  At a minimum, they get the gps phone, a basic medical kit, and an air horn or bear spray. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

What kind of animals did your family hunt? Mine hunted deer, and it was always skinned after the body cavity was cleaned out of all organs.

You are absolutely right!  This bothered me all day, and so I ended up calling my brother and asking him why I have NO memory of skinning and processing.  All I ever remember is the gutting!   After basically making fun of me for about half an hour he said, "The closest we ever got to processing our own game was dropping it off at Sturgis Meat Service.  They did it."  🤣

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

My family hunted deer, and while my dad and all gutted the deer, it was never skinned until they'd brought it home and hung it in the shed.  Also, I think that it was a cougar going by the woman's camp.  They do have 5 toes on their front paws, and the drag mark is usually from their tail.  They have very long tails.  Although, I don't know if cougars are up that far north.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I understand that jordan is mentally handicapped, but am I the only one that wanted that moose to stand up and gore him to death??  Special needs or not he's a complete moron and can barely put a sentence together. I also wanted the guy who faked falling down and hurting himself so he could leave to get eaten or stomped to death. 

 With any luck a bear will go into he's hut and eat everything, including him. F him & F his family, I hope he dies.

Share this post


Link to post

Just a friendly reminder that you can put posters on Ignore by hovering over their avatar and clicking on "Ignore User." 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×