Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Knot Today, Anchors

• Start Topic

On 7/9/2019 at 7:26 AM, snarts said:

This. Plus who wants a huge hamburger for lunch and filet mignon for dinner just hours later?  It pains me that they're in the Med and we've not seen fresh local fish or other seafood.  

Sandy is terrible leader. Anastasia will likely get her ass handed to her by the next charter guests, Sandy will be out looking for a chef again and the entire team will be bitter & angry.  

Just gotta co-sign this.Not only did she serve two hunks of beef for lunch and dinner, but she also served potato dishes at both meals. Again, I think junk  Anastasia  cooks very well, but her weakness really is menu planning.

She certainly could have chosen fish and a different starch for dinner. It would have saved her having to prepare at least one extra dish for the pescatarian, and maybe two since the daughter may have eaten fish instead of chicken. 

She seemed a little up on herself when they were all out drinking. Even if the chef is 50% if the charter, it’s far better not to go mouthing that off to your crew mates who work pretty hard too. This is especially true if you are a green chef who need a sous for all meals. 

I think they are setting her up for a fall in the next couple of episodes.

• Love 4
On 7/11/2019 at 4:00 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

But I won't drink bottled or canned tea because that shit is gross, so maybe that's a case where you need to specify?  I have seen canned Lipton in Paris, but if I'm having tea in France is Mariage Freres, and mainly in France I'm drinking wine and water, unless I'm at a tea house or I specifically see a tea I want on the menu.  I don't think I've ever had tea in the Med, but I recall seeing tea bags available at breakfast, I can't recall if I've seen iced tea on menus there or not.

I don't like hot beverages at all, nor do I like canned/bottled cold tea (the citric acid preservative is...acidic), but I need an iced tea every day to prevent headaches!  Recent visits to France, Belgium, Germany, and Switzerland had me making hot tea at the hotel breakfast buffet and cooling it down with water as much as I could, because it is well-nigh impossible to find fresh brewed iced tea when out and about.  (In fact, most places don't do ice much either).  I even resorted to stepping into the Starbucks near the Brandenburg Gate and seeing a label next to the iced tea saying they were out!  So if that family had been traveling in France, I can see why they wouldn't be sure it was available.

I liked Colin deploying the one thing he does know, which was music, and explaining why it was not a 3/4 beat but a 4/4 beat and that was why their dance moves were messing up.  

I have a lot of pop culture innocents in my family so I find Colin's cluelessness re "fluffer" familiar and a touch endearing.  

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

A large party with many dietary restrictions (i.e., gluten free, dairy free, vegan, etc.)  

Perhaps if there are a bunch of different ones who all want different things but given she is a vegan I think she will probably be fine with dietary restrictions. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Perhaps if there are a bunch of different ones who all want different things but given she is a vegan I think she will probably be fine with dietary restrictions. 

Yes, I meant one vegan, one gluten free, one dairy free, whatever. Multiple restrictions in the same group. But you're right, I forgot she was vegetarian/vegan.

Actually iced tea isn't common outside the US.

In Europe, if they offer iced tea at all, it's usually out of a Nestea can or bottle and of course sweetened.

Some places will bring you a kettle of hot water and tea bags and then a cut full of ice.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

Yes, I meant one vegan, one gluten free, one dairy free, whatever. Multiple restrictions in the same group. But you're right, I forgot she was vegetarian/vegan.

So in other words, a group from LA.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

There was an article about that when the original series debuted. I couldn't find it again, so I'm doing this from memory.

Bravo chartered the boat and sent the real crew on vacation, except for the first officer and engineer, who the captain insisted remain on the job. (They were not seen by viewers.) All of the real crew received whatever salary from the charter that they normally would have gotten. The "crew" we saw were people hired, and paid, by Bravo.

If that situation hasn't changed, then when the captains say "the owners" are rewarding the crew with some activity, that's not true. It's Bravo sending its minions somewhere and hoping for something entertaining to happen. Also, although the captains talk tough about giving someone a ticket home, they fire only with production's approval.

Ah, ok, that all seems logical and tidy. Thanks. 😊

(edited)
20 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

If I were Hannah, I would try and take charge -- or at least participate in -- menu planning. Hannah has a better idea of what charter guests might expect. I think she could help course correct some of the things we've seen, like the meal that consisted of risotto and gnocchi.

I see what you did there!

Edited by jennylauren123
  • LOL 1

We don’t see everything and given that the guests didn’t have a problem with having risotto and gnocchi and we know that the guest made the gnocchi as a last minute request because he can never have enough gnocchi it’s entirely possible that she said she had planned to do risotto and he said he wanted both.

• Love 1
On 7/11/2019 at 1:31 PM, Bunnyette said:

...Anastasia cannot meal plan to save her life!

I will add that each time a meal is served, I have a problem suspecting she will screw up the meat/poultry/fish items due to her being a vegetarian.  Somehow she manages.  Now, at the meal with the Filet Mignon, she also served salmon and chicken to 2 guests.  No complaints that we know of.

She also Kills It with the breakfasts, so... I'm beginning to lean more that possibly producers' cast a chef as a third stew.  Time will tell.

• Love 1
On 7/9/2019 at 5:51 PM, Diane Mars said:

French -born and trained- Chef's and restaurant owner wife here :
Just to let you know that having the humility of checking for a receipe and following it is ESSENTIAL in this job, and it's absolutely not considered as something "weak", or a lack of knowledge or professionalism at all. Asking her mother for a pragmatic solution to "down-sweetened" her Chantilly for the icing and ending by doing a buttercream instead, by adding butter to the cream, like she did as her mother told her, neither...

I'm NOT a chef, but I'm quite good at cooking 😉  I thaught Hubby some receipes, and when he's not sure about something, he asks me... We also create some plates together, sometimes. We've also some friends -and clients- who are "starred" in the Michelin's and/or Gault and Millault guides, so I have the pretention to think that I've got a little bit of knowledge regarding how it works in real world, and what she does is exactly how she should doing it. Until now at least, but she's got the right attitude, the right humility regarding her position (even the "fake it 'till you make it", because she's putting what it needs to learn and grow.)

ETA : I hope this post doesn't sound cocky or like if I'm lecturing you, because it's not my intent at all. My goal is only to explain/clarify, as I have a good knowledge of this working environnment, requirements, service, etc... 😉 

ETA#2 : and "basic food", when well made with good products is AMAH-ZING ! It's my forte and I "helped" Hubby to "tone down" some of his plates, for the better. Let the product speak ! "Let the carrot be a carrot and taste like a carrot" ! I have to admit that we're really lucky here in Switzerland, because we've got quite good products, with taste, no antibiotics, etc... It's expensive, but our basic products are good, tasteful and healthy.

Thank you so much for your story and post!  I hope you continue these throughout the season, as I know no sailors or chefs.

I really love your thoughts on basic foods.  You are the culinary Coco Chanel of "less is more."  💕

i have a lot of respect for all the knowledge you have had access to from your husband.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

Thank you so much for your story and post!  I hope you continue these throughout the season, as I know no sailors or chefs.

I really love your thoughts on basic foods.  You are the culinary Coco Chanel of "less is more."  💕

i have a lot of respect for all the knowledge you have had access to from your husband.

Awwww... Thank you ❤️ I really appreciate.

• Love 1