Type keyword(s) to search

Start TV: A network for women

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I hate SmartTV. They took away Decades from my market.

Me too. The Decades site still has “coming soon” or something to that effect for my market.  

• Love 2
On 7/8/2019 at 7:55 PM, chessiegal said:

I hate SmartTV. They took away Decades from my market.

Another hate vote, except it took away H&I in my area.

20 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

So Lifetime is no longer TV for women?

Not since about 1990. Been devolving into lame movies and reality trash for years now.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

There are some new shows coming in October.

Well I'm excited to see Cagney & Lacey again and In Plain Sight which I remember enjoying but don't remember if I ever finished the series. I was glad to re-discover Joan of Arcadia on Start even though season 2 is just as terrible as I remembered. 

• Love 1
On 7/6/2019 at 6:44 AM, MikaelaArsenault said:

Ever notice how Start TV seems to skip certain episodes of Touched By An Angel? I wonder why that is.

So have any other START TV shows had episodes red lined? We have been discussing the Cosby blacklist and as far as I can tell a demonic possession on another Touched By An Angel episode.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Raja said:

So have any other START TV shows had episodes red lined?

They cut scenes from Joan of Arcadia. When I started my rewatch of season 1, I decided to watch each episode and then read the TWoP recap like I did back when it originally aired and in the recap there was talk of scenes that I hadn't seen in the rewatch and even went back to my recording to double check. In this case I thought most of them were cut for time to add more commercials. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Not fond of most things "for women". Usually it's crap or overly patronizing. This looks to be same

I wouldn't say that. Besides the spiritual Touched by an Angel and Joan of Arcadia lead by women, or female angels if you like, START is just shows with female detectives in the lead. I wonder why Police Woman hasn't shown up its fathership series Police Story is on the brother network Heroes and Icons.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

It's nice to see shows that haven't been aired in years such as Cagney and Lacey along with Sue Thomas F.B. Eye.

I would like to see Hill Street Blues or 21 Jump Street on there.

For START? The problem is Betty Thomas, Veronica Hamel nor Holly Robinson Peete were the leads. Hill Street does rotate onto H&I but while talking about START withdrawing episodes it was only the earlier seasons for some reason.

• Love 1
Just now, Raja said:

For START? The problem is Betty Thomas, Veronica Hamel nor Holly Robinson Peete were the leads. Hill Street does rotate onto H&I but while talking about START withdrawing episodes it was only the earlier seasons for some reason.

Yes.

There are supposedly some upcoming changes to the schedule that will be happening next week, but this is unconfirmed.

Returning to the lineup starting on Tuesday are Promised Land and Early Edition. Start TV's website says that both shows are not on the lineup for that day, but my TV guide's listings says that they are.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Thank you for posting.

My television guide says the same thing.  Double running two episodes of Early Edition in the early morning hours starting Tuesday.

You're welcome. What's odd is that Start TV's schedule doesn't say anything about it.

2 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

So bad news. It looks like Promised Land and Early Edition will not be airing after all next week.

It was just simply a schedule error.

I don't know if it is bad news. While Promised Land does have the Touched By An Angel crossovers neither it or Early Edition fits the focus of START. While they might still own the rights to show them as they did before acquiring more content if they air it would be just another network breaking their format and sooner or later instead of paying residuals for the women lead, mostly cop shows they would have a cheaper reality show on.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Raja said:

I don't know if it is bad news. While Promised Land does have the Touched By An Angel crossovers neither it or Early Edition fits the focus of START. While they might still own the rights to show them as they did before acquiring more content if they air it would be just another network breaking their format and sooner or later instead of paying residuals for the women lead, mostly cop shows they would have a cheaper reality show on.

I really thought that they would be airing both shows.

Major Crimes is joining up with a two hour block following The Closer. Unlike the other shows on the network seven days a week Major Crimes will just run Monday through Friday. It looks like the 2 year, 45 episode Joan Of Arcadia has been dropped to make room.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Raja said:

Major Crimes is joining up with a two hour block following The Closer. Unlike the other shows on the network seven days a week Major Crimes will just run Monday through Friday. It looks like the 2 year, 45 episode Joan Of Arcadia has been dropped to make room.

In my locale Major Crimes is replacing most of the Ghost Whisperer episodes (GW will still air on the weekends in the 7-9 p.m. CDT time slot).

• Useful 1
On 8/30/2020 at 1:28 PM, Raja said:

Strong Medicine has also been removed to make room for In Plain Sight and Unforgettable has been moved to make room for Any Day Now.

On 8/30/2020 at 7:46 PM, shapeshifter said:

In my locale Major Crimes is replacing most of the Ghost Whisperer episodes (GW will still air on the weekends in the 7-9 p.m. CDT time slot).

GW will air here in the 8-10 p.m. EST time slot.

• Useful 1

we just got Start in October, I'm loving it. I'm catching up on Cagney and Lacey, haven't seen that forever. Also Medium, Cold Case and in the past couple of days I've seen 2 or 3 episodes of The Closer and Major Crimes that I've missed even with all the viewing I've done of those shows. I watched Ghost Whisperer for a couple of weeks, but I'm tiring of it and I did choose to switch to watch what was happening in the election counting for the past 3 days.

As for there being too many channels catering to women. I don't think so. I dislike Hallmark and Lifetime because of all their stupid sappy movies, WE because of their stupid reality shows and I hate sports. For the last 45 years all weekend on tv was nothing but sports, I'm glad to have good programming that appeals to me that has no effing sports. I'm not all that fond of movies and I can't usually do more than a couple a day. I like the women cop shows. 

• Love 1

I'm still really enjoying watching Any Day Now for the first time. I guess it first aired on LifeTime, which I've never had, even when I had cable. 
I wish there was an active message board to discuss its many controversial themes, which would be even more controversial viewed 2 decades (a literal "Life Time") later.
Any Day Now airs 7 days a week in the morning, right when a lot of working viewers are turning off the TV news, so I have no realistic hopes of such discussions.

Right now Major Crimes is in the 5th season, which has several story arcs I'm not in the mood for right now.

• Love 1

I really like Crossing Jordan, there are several strong men in the cast ie Miguel Ferrer.  I was so saddened by his illness and passing. I used to watch Cold Case and as this pandemic progresses I may start rewatching  those episodes too.

On 11/6/2020 at 1:03 PM, icemiser69 said:

I find it interesting when I pull up the cable guide and look at episodes of Cold Case, they have a picture of Danny Pino, only.

On 11/6/2020 at 1:03 PM, icemiser69 said:

it seems as though this network is catered towards a female demographic using powerful female lead characters as their only focus. 

I think the first statement contradicts the underlined part of the second.  Meaning they're also possibly using male "eye candy" as a draw.  Male eye candy on a female-led show?  Even better.

Which is fair, since other networks/shows have been using their female stars in that manner for decades (e.g.: Jeri Ryan for Star Trek: Voyager, even though she came in in season 4 of that show.)

• Love 1
On 11/17/2020 at 4:47 PM, shapeshifter said:

Whew!
I am moving to Rochester, NY in January, and Start TV is broadcast there!
At least there are still some constants in life. 

Rochester in the middle of winter? You poor soul!  😛 At least TV will be there for you in the midst of lake-effect snowstorms! (In all seriousness, good luck with your move!)

• Love 1

I am a START TV fan! Who can afford cable? Nearly all TV/movie studio production has shut down everywhere! If not for START TV, I’d be stuck like “HOME ALONE” w/ home shopping channels, religious evangelists and endless reruns of SEINFIELD, FRIENDS, WALKER TEXAS RANGER, etc. Thank you for the lifeline. Please consider these suggestions for future programming (w/ the entertainment industry on hiatus sort of, these might be more affordable?): HAWTHORNE, JUDGING AMY, SAVING GRACE, PROVIDENCE. All are critically acclaimed series w/ strong female leads or storylines. Keep searching for role models and ensemble casts that reflect women’s empowerment in society. It’s appreciated by your audience.

I am a START TV fan! Who can afford cable? Nearly all TV/movie studio production has shut down everywhere! If not for START TV, I’d be stuck like “HOME ALONE” w/ home shopping channels, religious evangelists and endless reruns of SEINFIELD, FRIENDS, WALKER TEXAS RANGER, etc. Thank you for the lifeline. Please consider these suggestions for future programming (w/ the entertainment industry on hiatus sort of, these might be more affordable?): HAWTHORNE, JUDGING AMY, SAVING GRACE, PROVIDENCE. All are critically acclaimed series w/ strong female leads or storylines. Keep searching for role models and ensemble casts that reflect women’s empowerment in society. It’s appreciated by your audience.

so, RMPeterson, you're a Startv fan? lol. 

For those who like Rizolli and Isles, it will be coming to Start on Jan 4 at 4 and 9 PM Central. Looks like they are replacing Cagney & Lacey and Ghost Whisperer. I'm ok with Ghost Whisperer, while it was a guilty pleasure, I watched enough of it and I'm ready to move on. But I have really been enjoying Cagney & Lacey. I hope they get Mary Beth to deliver that baby before they lose the show. And if they do, I hope Roku will continue to show it so I can catch up to the end. I don't really know that they will be losing those shows or if they're going to move things around. I looked at their site a week or so ago and nothing has changed on the schedule or the shows yet. Probably won't until Jan 4. If they lose Cagney and Lacey, I guess it will be back to DABL for Escape to the Country for me. I'm back to Cold Case being episodes I've seen since I started watching Start, so I'll probably quit watching those too. There are shows I don't mind seeing over and over and over but Cold Case is not one of them.

I never could get into Rizolli and Isles. I like both actresses, but I couldn't get into the characters or the stories.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

so, RMPeterson, you're a Startv fan? lol. 

For those who like Rizolli and Isles, it will be coming to Start on Jan 4 at 4 and 9 PM Central. Looks like they are replacing Cagney & Lacey and Ghost Whisperer. I'm ok with Ghost Whisperer, while it was a guilty pleasure, I watched enough of it and I'm ready to move on. But I have really been enjoying Cagney & Lacey. I hope they get Mary Beth to deliver that baby before they lose the show. And if they do, I hope Roku will continue to show it so I can catch up to the end. I don't really know that they will be losing those shows or if they're going to move things around. I looked at their site a week or so ago and nothing has changed on the schedule or the shows yet. Probably won't until Jan 4. If they lose Cagney and Lacey, I guess it will be back to DABL for Escape to the Country for me. I'm back to Cold Case being episodes I've seen since I started watching Start, so I'll probably quit watching those too. There are shows I don't mind seeing over and over and over but Cold Case is not one of them.

I never could get into Rizolli and Isles. I like both actresses, but I couldn't get into the characters or the stories.

It looks like Cagney & Lacey will just be bumped to an hour earlier to start before Rizolli and Isles: https://www.starttv.com/schedule/2021-1-4
--which actually makes sense since Rizolli and Isles was inspired (at least in part) by Cagney & Lacey.

• Love 1

thank you shapeshifter. Like I said, it's been a week or so since I looked at their website. I see that Cold Case is losing an hour and so is Medium, I've been really enjoying Medium. I'm glad to see that Cagney and Lacey will still be around, I was concerned about Mary Beth's baby, lol. Like I don't already know the outcome of that! 

• LOL 1
2 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

, I was concerned about Mary Beth's baby, lol. Like I don't already know the outcome of that! 

I was obsessively watching Cagney & Lacey on Start when it first started airing (I didn't have a TV when it originally aired) but now that I've seen each episode at least twice, I don't watch it so much anymore. I wonder if the change of the hour will make a difference. Late afternoon I start to fade. 
But the birth of Lacey's baby is a fabulous episode. Cagney chaos at its best, LOL!

My more recent appointment TV on Start has been Any Day Now, which I also hadn't seen when it first aired. 

• Love 2