Type keyword(s) to search

Start TV: A network for women

• Start Topic

one thing that I find very interesting with Mary Beth's pregnancy story line is that she is on active duty almost to the end of her pregnancy. On shows made more recently than Cagney and Lacey, almost the minute a woman police officer discovers she is pregnant, she informs her superior officer and is put on desk duty. There were a couple of storylines about that on NYPD Blue. One where Diane Russell knows she is newly pregnant and Bobby wants her to go on light duty and they have several fights about her not wanting to go on desk duty and him feeling she is risking the baby. And then later, Connie finds out she's pregnant and immediately goes to their boss and tells him and goes on desk duty. I've seen it in other shows too, I just can't remember them this minute.

Cagney and Lacey were detectives very early when women weren't and were starting to be. The show did a pretty realistic job of showing them breaking down barriers to women being and doing anything in the police department. I was a young woman when this show came out and I loved it. I knew their struggles, I faced a lot of similar ones, not in the police department. I never considered that as a career, police do not hire 4'11" police officers. Now, I'm enjoying some of their discussions and I see more depth than I did when the show was on originally. Chris' constant struggle with career vs marriage and family and fighting to have a career especially with Mary Beth pushing her towards marriage. Mary Beth and Harvey had a rather different kind of marriage with Harvey staying at home at different times to take care of the kids, he didn't always like it. I still have trouble not seeing him as his character in Dark Shadows, lol. But their relationship paved the way for other shows later for couples to have unconventional marriages, Joe and Allison DuBois on Medium, Joe shares fully in child rearing. I just find it interesting. And Cagney and Lacey did pave the way for many other women to be police officers on many shows. 

• Love 1

According to TitanTV.com, next Saturday, January 2, 2021 on Start TV: 

"Family Connections"

2/10/1986,  Season 5 / Episode 16 , Drama, Crime, Mystery

Mary Beth goes into labor, and Chris races to get her to the hospital; later, she discovers her father has a new girlfriend, and she's the last one to know about it.

• Love 1

shapeshifter, thank you. I watched every minute yesterday and was happy with the outcome. It isn't like I didn't see this 30+ years ago or anything. I guess what caught my attention was how pregnant Tyne Daly looked and I looked it up and she had her last daughter in 1985, right before this episode aired. Ms. Daly is one of those women who are pregnant in every pore of their bodies. Most of my family is like that, no little basketball bumps in the tummy for us!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

shapeshifter, thank you. I watched every minute yesterday and was happy with the outcome. It isn't like I didn't see this 30+ years ago or anything. I guess what caught my attention was how pregnant Tyne Daly looked and I looked it up and she had her last daughter in 1985, right before this episode aired. Ms. Daly is one of those women who are pregnant in every pore of their bodies. Most of my family is like that, no little basketball bumps in the tummy for us!

I had to take a phone call before the naming scene, but I did get to see the trip to the hospital with the shenanigans on the bridge. Very New York City, with Sharon Gless channeling a bit of Lucille Ball but with the temper of Ricky Ricardo. Meanwhile, Lacey kept her cool like a superhero until Harvey arrived in the nick of time. Yay!

• Love 1

Been making it a point to watch Medium every morning. There were good actors on this show, they particularly hit pay dirt with the children, all 4 of them were excellent, but the middle daughter, Bridgette, played by Maria Lark was especially a good actor. Last week was the episode where Bridgette and Allison traded bodies and while Patricia Arquette was good playing a 12 year old Bridgette, Maria was outstanding as the adult trapped in a 12 yr old body. Then a few days later, her younger sister had a sex dream about 2 of their dad's co-workers and Maria was just dying to tell her it was not a murder dream but a sex dream, she showed the eagerness of a preteen wanting to share her sexual knowledge superiority. And when Arial was preparing to leave for college and Bridgette was showing her disdain when she really was going to miss her big sister and was hurt that she was leaving home and her. She is such a gem as an actor. Maybe someday, she'll decide to return to an acting career. 

I wrote the above before the afternoon showing of Cagney and Lacey. Sunday's episode was when Charlie Cagney died and Monday's was Chris alcoholic breakdown. Since I had watched the series years ago, I knew both of those were coming and the acceleration of Chris's drinking is evident, but that episode is a Wow! There is some terrific acting from both the women in this episode.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 1

I just discovered Start TV a few months ago when I stumbled across a rerun of Any Day Now and I'm glad to see that show along with Touched By an Angel, Ghost Whisperer and Cold Case again, but I noticed something strange about the censoring on Any Day Now. What's with censoring "pissed off", but keeping "bitch" and "ass"? I personally don't have an issue with either of the latter swear words as long they aren't being used gratuitously, but what a weird line to draw when it comes to the former. 

• Love 1
On 8/27/2021 at 6:56 PM, rmcrae said:

I just discovered Start TV a few months ago when I stumbled across a rerun of Any Day Now and I'm glad to see that show along with Touched By an Angel, Ghost Whisperer and Cold Case again, but I noticed something strange about the censoring on Any Day Now. What's with censoring "pissed off", but keeping "bitch" and "ass"? I personally don't have an issue with either of the latter swear words as long they aren't being used gratuitously, but what a weird line to draw when it comes to the former. 

On 8/27/2021 at 7:19 PM, Raja said:

You never know with these networks I have noticed another START show, Major Crimes having words censored on their other syndicator Lifetime.

In many/most cases it's not the current networks making the decisions about content. It's that they are using edited versions meant for either broadcast syndication or an earlier cable run because they are shorter and therefore there is more commercial time. And it is cheaper to air those and not do any work. Which means words that air unbleeped on other shows get cut and you have some oddities especially if the show was not a huge hit and was aired previously somewhere with Standards & Practices that banned certain words, but didn't care about others. And it gets really weird because sometimes there are multiple different packages out there with different censorship and it doesn't seem like most networks really care about what version they air so sometimes words that are bleeped on one series will be unbleeped on the same series on another network and vice versa on another series. It makes no logical sense because there is no logic to it but laziness and the whims of whomever was in charge at the biggest customers for broadcast reruns at the time the series was sold into syndication.

• Useful 3

Murder, She Wrote is being added to the schedule, following this weekend's marathon. Two episodes will air daily from 9-11 a.m. (ET), and a single episode at 4 p.m. Dr. Quinn and Touched By an Angel are both cut back to one episode from 6-8 a.m., and Any Day Now is moved to 8 a.m.

• Useful 1