Type keyword(s) to search

Disney Channel Original Movies - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Comedic Action-Adventure Movie "Kim Possible" Kicks Off an Action-Packed Night of Premieres on Friday, Feb. 15

"Kim Possible," a Disney Channel Original Movie based on the beloved animated series, will premiere FRIDAY, FEB. 15 (8:00-9:32 p.m. EST/PST), on Disney Channel and DisneyNOW. In this comedic action-adventure, a live-action transformation of the original series, newcomer Sadie Stanley stars as the iconic teen hero Kim Possible along with Sean Giambrone (ABC's "The Goldbergs") as her best friend and sidekick, Ron Stoppable. Immediately following "Kim Possible," Disney Channel will present a first look at the new eight-part miniseries "Fast Layne," with an episode titled "Mile 1: the Voice in the Shed." "Fast Layne" will move to its regular timeslot with a second installment, "Mile 2: Paid to Drive," on SUNDAY, FEB. 17 (8:00-8:30 p.m. EST/PST). Both episodes will be available on DisneyNOW.

• Love 3

I have no interest in watching Descendants but damn, props to the costume department. Those outfits look amazing.

That's also a very glam version of Shego. For the beauty guru era, I'm into it as a look. As for the movie, the trailer didn't look too terrible but it's so different from the old cartoon for me. I can't shake Christy's voice. It looks decent but it's not conjuring up any nostalgia. It feels like a completely separate thing. 

It wasn't on the Disney channel, both the original and the sequel are Disney movies (the original premiered on ABC and the sequel was on Freeform). Did anyone catch Life Size 2? It's not on Freeform anymore and I'm not sure I want to pay $8 just to watch the movie. 

• Love 1

I did watch Life Size 2, to me it felt very different. Maybe because the girl was an adult and somewhat unsympathetic to me. 

For me, the energy in the new KP voice is not there. CCR was peppy and energetic, in the previews the new KP is a little down non peppy

On 1/4/2019 at 3:22 PM, aradia22 said:

I have no interest in watching Descendants but damn, props to the costume department. Those outfits look amazing.

That's also a very glam version of Shego. For the beauty guru era, I'm into it as a look. As for the movie, the trailer didn't look too terrible but it's so different from the old cartoon for me. I can't shake Christy's voice. It looks decent but it's not conjuring up any nostalgia. It feels like a completely separate thing. 

It wasn't on the Disney channel, both the original and the sequel are Disney movies (the original premiered on ABC and the sequel was on Freeform). Did anyone catch Life Size 2? It's not on Freeform anymore and I'm not sure I want to pay $8 just to watch the movie. 

Save the $8 and skip it.  The lead was very unlikeable and I thought the scenes between the Tyra character and the lecherous chef were a little too adult for the younger demographic this was meant for (or wasn’t it?).

Disney’s ‘Zombies 2’ Sequel Heads Into Production With Returning Stars, Director, Writers

Disney’s Zombies 2, the sequel to the saga of a zombie football player and cheerleader’s attempts to unite the zombie and human communities of Seabrook, will being production in the spring.

Stars Meg Donnelly and Milo Manheim will reprise their marquee roles as Addison and Zed. The announcement was made today during a presentation to advertisers by Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer, Disney Channels Worldwide.

The original Zombies was cable television’s #1-rated telecast among kids 6-11 and tweens 9-14 for 2018.

• Love 1

I LOVED Kim Possible back in the day. The movie was such a let down. I did enjoy Shego and Drakken. They were always may favorite part of the show so I was apprehensive but the actors did a good job of capturing the characters. 

I think my main problem is that this show does not translate well to live action. The stunts were hilariously bad. 

I always did feel Kim was a bit too full of herself so the storyline could have worked for me, if done better. I just wish it had been a cartoon, or the special effects were way less cheesy. 

• Useful 1

It was okay. It really could have been worse. My greatest disappointment was Barkin being played by such a non-Patrick Warburton type. Seriously, Patrick Warburton could've turned this one around for me. Reasonably good CGI for Rufus - he looked like a good amalgamation of the cartoon and an actual naked mole rat. The plot made sense with original Kim's insecurities. I liked that this time the Synthodrone turned out to be good. Alyson Hannigan and Connie Ray were nice surprises. I feel like there's a better, less cartoonish live action Kim Possible movie out there somewhere just waiting to be made. I agree with poster above that Ron was too annoying. 

My favorite line was Shego's "I want to go home so I can get out of these clothes and into a sensible leather bodysuit."

Y'all though. Cheyenne Jackson? Do I have to watch Descendants now? This seems like someone's insane fanfiction but the styling of Hades... This feels like the kind of thing you rip apart with friends. Is it so bad it's good or is it just kind of boring?

• Love 3

How terrible. He was so young- I can’t imagine what his family and friends are going through. My kids are always watching Jessie and just watched Descendants for the 4th time and I was coming to post how much I still like that movie. 

• Love 2

Rewatching Descendants 2 right now while waiting for the D3 premiere. This movie is still as entertaining as it was in its first watch. Looking forward to the final installment and blinking back a ton of tears.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

I didn’t care for this movie but it was a charming tribute to Cameron Boyce

Tribute could've been a little longer. I thought I was gonna end up crying over Cameron but I spent most of this movie annoyed.   D2 was so much better.  I felt way too invested in this movie after 4 years. There was again way too much focus on Mal. Everyone else was getting coupled up but there was no mention of Lonnie in this movie so Jay just got a bromance. Harry was clearly crushing on Uma but they have him flirt with every girl he sees and then she dodges his cheap kiss at the end and immediately tries to make a move on Audrey. Evie was wasted as peace maker for most of the movie. The fight scenes were lame. There were so many songs but most were not memorable other than the ending one. They should've had the OG villains return. Hades was so pointless. I didn't care about Mal's daddy issues and Hades wasn't even a villain. 

• Love 1

I couldn't believe that the big "battle scene" happened with like 30 minutes left to spare. I kept thinking something epic was going to happen. 

It also felt like the roles of Carlos and Jay were both decreased significantly. D2 was so much better.

I thought it was smart that the tribute didn't talk about "in memory of" or missing Cameron. It was a lovely tribute and I like the fact that it wasn't super obvious to young viewers who may not know what happened.

• Love 4

Also one thing I hated about the ending was all this talk about them going back to see their abusive parents who treated them like garbage. We're going to pretend most of the villains on the isle weren't horribly bad people who deserved to be locked up?

Audrey got a slap on the wrist when she needs therapy. She held onto that hate for a few years.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, In2You said:

Also one thing I hated about the ending was all this talk about them going back to see their abusive parents who treated them like garbage. We're going to pretend most of the villains on the isle weren't horribly bad people who deserved to be locked up?

Apparently that last scene wasn’t originally in the movie. The main 4 actors were talking about there being no “cuz we’re rotten to the core” reference in the last movie and they went to Kenny about it, and he and the 4 talked to the writers. So that might be part of the reason why that was a little strange. Cuz yea Mal’s Mom is a lizard, Carlos’s mom seemed abusive and Evie and Jay’s parents were probably the least “bad” since they mostly just seemed self involved and narcissistic. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, emcmac87 said:

Apparently that last scene wasn’t originally in the movie. The main 4 actors were talking about there being no “cuz we’re rotten to the core” reference in the last movie and they went to Kenny about it, and he and the 4 talked to the writers. So that might be part of the reason why that was a little strange. Cuz yea Mal’s Mom is a lizard, Carlos’s mom seemed abusive and Evie and Jay’s parents were probably the least “bad” since they mostly just seemed self involved and narcissistic. 

Like the writers were trying to send messages paralleling immigration issues but this was not the movie for that. There were attempted murders on the other side of the barrier. 

12 hours ago, In2You said:

Hades was so pointless. I didn't care about Mal's daddy issues and Hades wasn't even a villain. 

They advertised him so heavily and he was barely in the movie. WTF? 

I agree, it was not good. Too much singing. There wasn't that much in the last two movies combined. The only songs I liked were the ones Uma sang because that actress has a great voice. 

Audrey turned villain made sense but the execution sucked. 

When they opened the barrier, if this weren't a saccharine sweet Disney movie the Island folks would have stormed over the bridge and looted Auradon. Maybe not the kids, some of the kids seemed decent, but the adults, who were actual villains who did evil things, weren't going to be all "oh, how nice, you are letting us out of prison, let us have tea". They would have been all "REVENGE!!!!!!"

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

They advertised him so heavily and he was barely in the movie. WTF? 

I agree, it was not good. Too much singing. There wasn't that much in the last two movies combined. The only songs I liked were the ones Uma sang because that actress has a great voice. 

Audrey turned villain made sense but the execution sucked. 

When they opened the barrier, if this weren't a saccharine sweet Disney movie the Island folks would have stormed over the bridge and looted Auradon. Maybe not the kids, some of the kids seemed decent, but the adults, who were actual villains who did evil things, weren't going to be all "oh, how nice, you are letting us out of prison, let us have tea". They would have been all "REVENGE!!!!!!"

Wasn't it so nice all the evil adults stayed in their homes when the barrier opened. Descendants is a good concept at the basis of it. I would like Disney to revisit it in a YA setting in the future. 

• Love 1

I've watched the first two movies so I could feel hip with the young crowd! I listened to a couple of the songs in the 3rd movie and I cannot get "Do What You Gotta Do" outta my damn head! I loved the tribute to Cameron at the end. I loved the messages at the end! He really was a baby :(!

Disney Channel Sets Cast For ‘Upside-Down Magic’ Movie As Production Begins

Newcomer Izabela Rose and Siena Agudong (No Good Nick) are set to lead the ensemble cast for Upside-Down Magic, a new Disney Channel original movie based on The New York Times bestselling fantasy fiction children’s books of the same name. Vicki Lewis (Finding Nemo, Newsradio), Kyle Howard (My Boys), Elie Samouhi (Bizaardvark), Alison Fernandez (Once Upon a Time) and Max Torina (Raven’s Home) will also star in the movie which begins production today. It’s slated to premiere next summer.

The movie centers around 13-year-old Nory Boxwood Horace (Rose) who discovers that she can flux into animals, and her best friend, and Reina Carvajal (Agudong) who can manipulate flames, as they enter Sage Academy for magical studies. Reina’s ability to expertly harness the power of fire lands her at the top of her class of “Flares,” but Nory’s wonky magic and proclivity for turning into a “Dritten” – a half kitten, half dragon – lands her in a class for those with defective, Upside-Down Magic, otherwise known as UDM. While Headmaster Knightslinger (Lewis) believes the UDM’s defective powers leave them vulnerable to the dangerous and evil “shadow magic,” Nory and her group of misfits set out to prove that Upside-Down Magic beats right side up.

• Love 1

Disney Channel Sets Cast For Modern Remake Of Its First-Ever Original Movie ‘Under Wraps’

The Disney Channel is giving us a blast from the past — with a contemporary twist. The Mouse House has set a comedic remake of the 1997 Halloween classic Under Wraps, which was the first-ever Disney Channel original movie. Christian J. Simon (Sydney to the Max), Malachi Barton (Stuck in the Middle), Sophia Hammons (The Social Dilemma) and Phil Wright (Disney Fam Jam) will star in the comedy which will begin production in Vancouver this month. Under Wraps is slated for a 2021 premiere on Disney Channel.

The re-imagined story takes place a few days before Halloween when 12-year-old friends Gilbert (Simon), Marshall (Barton) and Amy (Hammons) accidentally revive a mummy they discover in a neighbor’s basement, which they affectionately name Harold (Wright). However, they must rush to return him to his resting place before midnight on Halloween. Along the way, the team narrowly escapes a nefarious group of criminals intent on selling the mummy to the highest bidder. When Harold is inevitably captured, Marshall, Gilbert and Amy must band together to stand up to the criminals, face their fears and rescue their new—but rather “ancient”—friend.

"Zombies 3" Will Begin Production with Popular Cast Reprising Their Roles in Hit Disney Channel Original Movie Franchise

In "ZOMBIES 3," Zed and Addison are beginning their final year at Seabrook High in the town that's become a safe haven for monsters and humans alike. Zed is anticipating an athletic scholarship that will make him the first Zombie to attend college, while Addison is gearing up for Seabrook's first international cheer-off competition. Then suddenly, extraterrestrial beings appear around Seabrook, provoking something other than friendly competition.

There's a new Christmas-themed DCOM this year, Christmas ...Again?!, that is really good. It stars the outstanding Scarlett Estevez (Lucifer, Bunk'd, Daddy's Home) who, after having her worst Christmas ever, makes a wish to a black Santa Claus (Gary Anthony Williams, in a memorable performance), and gets stuck in a Groundhog Day time loop.

While there are fun sequences, the movie also has an Andi Mack level of maturity, as the Latina main character has divorced parents, including a father who has a serious girlfriend with an (obligatory) annoying younger son, and a significant portion of the plot concerns the main character dealing with the reality of her parent's divorce.  Additionally, the main character has a gay uncle with an African-American husband.

The movie has strong production values, including an imaginative opening title and credits animated sequence, and was filmed in Chicago, including some on-location scenes at Chicago landmarks.  All of which gives the movie a feature film feel, as opposed to being a dime-a-dozen Hallmark Channel holiday movie.

Anchoring the supporting cast as the main character's grandparents are Broadway veteran Priscilla Lopez (A Chorus Line) and veteran character actor Tony Amendola (Stargate: SG1, Once Upon a Time).

Trailer:

Careful what you wish for! It's Christmas...again?! Christmas Again stars Scarlett Estevez as Rowena, a high-spirited 11-year-old hoping to add more spunk to her Christmas celebrations! She experiences a lackluster Christmas, she makes a wish to a neighborhood Santa for a "do-over," and unexpectedly finds herself reliving Christmas day over and over again.

First Five Minutes Preview:

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

‘Descendants’ Sequel ‘The Pocketwatch’ Movie Greenlighted By Disney+

Seven new songs and Disney classic songs will advance the story, which introduces Red, the whip-smart and rebellious teenage daughter of the Queen of Hearts (Alice in Wonderland) and Chloe, the perfectionist and athletic daughter of Cinderella and Prince Charming (Cinderella). In order to prevent an impending coup in Auradon – one that looms during the celebration of a new royal baby –, Red must join forces with Chloe to travel in back in time, via the White Rabbit’s pocket watch, to stop an event that would lead to grave consequences.

Based on the article it doesn't look like any of the cast from the previous movies will be in this.