Type keyword(s) to search

Disney Channel Original Movies - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/3/2017 at 0:11 PM, Magog said:

Disney Channel can keep trying to do those types of DCOM's from now to forever & they will never have the success or be as phenomenal like the High School Musical movies. With all that constant hype & promotion that Descendants 2 got on Disney Channel on a daily basis, I would of expect it to reach close to the 17 Million viewers that High School Musical 2 got. It got only 5.3 viewers on Disney Channel alone & I'm certain that even if it did air on 5 different networks, it still didn't equal the amount of viewers of High School Musical 2. 

As for the movie, other than Uma (Who I really enjoy & was more likable than Mal), Harry (son of Captain Hook) & that geeky girl (who was very pretty) who was basically an outcast, the rest of the cast was pretty much "meh" to me. Mal was very annoying & very full of herself. Evie was a nuisance as usual. It was somewhat watchable (compare to the 1st movie), but it was still miles behind High School Musical 1, 2, & 3.

Here is the first promo of yet another High School Musical wannabe that will air on Disney Channel. It will air next year.

Z-O-M-B-I-E-S

Zombies dropped their first song. I'll give them props for the choreography but I got secondhand embarrassment from the song.

On 12/30/2017 at 3:26 AM, RedFire2000 said:

Barf! I saw a commercial for that Zombies DCOM the other day and rolled my eyes.  It looks horrible and cringey. Another High School Musical wannabe.

They're pushing it hard core and it looks horrible

• Love 2

Doug Walker (The Nostalgia Critic) has spent the last several Decembers reviewing Disney stuff (what he calls Disneycember), from the animated theatrical releases (Little Mermaid. Lion King) to the Disney Direct-to-DVD sequel craze Disney had during the 90's - 00's.  This past December, of course, was DCOM Disneycember.  Some of the best ("Twitches was better than I thought it would be.") and not-so-best ("Cheetah Girls???  Why??") reviewed by a man that admits he's way too old to be watching this stuff.

• Love 1

That High School Musical wannabe (ZOMBIES) will air on February 16. Here are some more previews from this tripe.

ZOMBIES Preview #1

ZOMBIES Preview #2

I still don't know very much about this lead guy in this tripe (Milo Manheim) & he is as charming as hugging a cactus. I don't know why Disney Channel thinks he is anything special. Its bad enough that Sofia Carlson is still around. 

Speaking of people who are as lovable as touching a cactus, there is this guy on the Disney Channel on that wretched show (Walk The Prank) & I find him to be very repulsive. I don't like that show at all & this guy is an absolute jerk. His constant know-it-all attitude & his demeanor is a major turn-off. I don't know who he is, but I find him to be very punchable.

Edited by Magog
On 1/7/2018 at 7:16 PM, Magog said:

That High School Musical wannabe (ZOMBIES) will air on February 16. Here are some more previews from this tripe.

ZOMBIES Preview #1

ZOMBIES Preview #2

I still don't know very much about this lead guy in this tripe (Milo Manheim) & he is as charming as hugging a cactus. I don't know why Disney Channel thinks he is anything special. Its bad enough that Sofia Carlson is still around. 

Speaking of people who are as lovable as touching a cactus, there is this guy on the Disney Channel on that wretched show (Walk The Prank) & I find him to be very repulsive. I don't like that show at all & this guy is an absolute jerk. His constant know-it-all attitude & his demeanor is a major turn-off. I don't know who he is, but I find him to be very punchable.

Im really annoyed that they're having tthis movie pushing a message of intolerance using a white kid with pasty makeup during Black History month especially when it looks like the black girl in pasty makeup will be the jealous friend with a secret crush. And they haven't had nearly enough DCOMs starring non whites as the leads. 

Christy Carlson Romano or I'm not interested. 

I like Cheetah Girls. It's not great. But the songs are good and it's not that dissimilar from movies around that 90's/2000's period. Sure, aside from Raven they can't act their way out of a paper bag but other than that, I don't really see the problem.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Christy Carlson Romano or I'm not interested. 

I like Cheetah Girls. It's not great. But the songs are good and it's not that dissimilar from movies around that 90's/2000's period. Sure, aside from Raven they can't act their way out of a paper bag but other than that, I don't really see the problem.

she is too old for a live action.  She can not pass for a high school student.  If they were doing a cartoon i would agree.  

It's Disney Channel. Their main character is not going to be an adult. I never watched the cartoon series, but did the main character have a mother? Christy Carlson Romano is now around the age where she can start to play the mother of a high school student.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, twoods said:

Yea, I wasn't thinking she would be better cast as a mother. She played one in an UP Christmas movie last season.

It was actually a movie that aired on Ion

Kim Possible ended on a good note. Why reboot? Do they even play the reruns anymore? 

• Love 1

Not that sequels are my favorite thing, but I prefer them to reboots when the original was just fine... unless there's some big element of reinvention. Speaking of Christy, I actually liked that Cutting Edge sequel. It was basically the same movie but they didn't just remake it like the original doesn't exist. I would rather Kim train another teen spy than just re-do the story. And it's not like characters don't grow up on the Disney Channel. They brought back Raven and Chelsea for that show. And they did Girl Meets World.

On 2/8/2018 at 12:09 PM, twoods said:

Yea, I wasn't thinking she would be better cast as a mother. She played one in an UP Christmas movie last season.

On 2/8/2018 at 11:21 PM, In2You said:

It was actually a movie that aired on Ion

Are you talking about the Christmas movie where it was like Bill Murray's "Groundhog Day" 

or

the one where MTV's Julie Brown (the funny one, not the fashion one) was driving her crazy?

Descendants 3 is Coming in 2019 ; Original Cast, Director & Writers Return

http://deadline.com/2018/02/descendants-3-disney-channel-2019-dove-cameron-sofia-carson-1202292322/

I have no interest in more of Mal's story and all her woe is me stuff. They need to spread the focus across the other characters.

I also have no interest in Mal's story. The only reason that Descendants 2 was worth watching was because of Uma. I hope that there will be more of Uma and less of Mal & Ben. The other bad thing about Descendants 3 is that Sofia Carlson will still be around on the Disney Channel. That girl is not cute, just plain annoying, & she is really nothing special. I find her to be on the same level as those 2 girls (Paige & Frankie) on Bizaardvark. 

Speaking of people that I find very annoying, I watched that ZOMBIES movie on Disney Channel. Normally on most DCOM's, I can always find a girl who is cute & very likable and very irritating characters. For this DCOM, none of the girls on there were pretty & just about all the characters on there were very irritating. The main zombie (play by Milo Manheim) was so full of himself, too preachy, & he didn't make me laugh at all. He is pretty similar to Jenny Ortega on Stuck in the Middle. Just like Jenny Ortega, he has the charm of touching a porcupine.  The other guy who can't stand those zombies (Bucky) also got on my nerves & he was also a jerk. He is also not a fun person to be around. 

Overall, I find ZOMBIES to be very "meh" & pretty much everyone on there sucked. Even the singing & dancing sucked. This is more like Camp Rock 1 & 2 and the complete opposite of High School Musical 1, 2, & 3. I also find ZOMBIES to be the last thing that I would watch if I want to learn about tolerance & breaking barriers. I still don't understand what is the point on that in this movie.

And here is the first promo for Freaky Friday DCOM that will on Disney Channel this summer. 

Disney Channel promo - Freaky Friday

I don't know who will be in this movie (it better not be Jenny Ortega, Paige & Frankie, or that girl Tess from Ravens Home). I'm also wondering why we need a 3rd remake of Freaky Friday. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2
On 2/18/2018 at 6:00 AM, Magog said:

And here is the first promo for Freaky Friday DCOM that will on Disney Channel this summer. 

Disney Channel promo - Freaky Friday

I don't know who will be in this movie (it better not be Jenny Ortega, Paige & Frankie, or that girl Tess from Ravens Home). I'm also wondering why we need a 3rd remake of Freaky Friday. 

Another remake of Freaky Friday? Really Disney? The other two remakes was the 1995 TV movie with Gabby Hoffman and Shelly Long. And then 2003 film with Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis. Anyway not looking forward to this. And I believe this version is gonna be a musical with singing in it. No thank you....

• Love 2
7 hours ago, In2You said:

Also I'd like to add that for D3 I have no interest in them trying to force anything between Mal and Harry simply because Dove and Thomas are dating.

I agree.  That would change the whole dynamic. Here’s hoping it’s different than Liv and Maddie. I could not stand the fact they kept Diggie around for Maddie. He was not better than Josh. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I agree.  That would change the whole dynamic. Here’s hoping it’s different than Liv and Maddie. I could not stand the fact they kept Diggie around for Maddie. He was not better than Josh. 

Dove already came with her little fanfic storyline claiming Harry and Mal used to date(even though D1 told us she never dated before) and Mal broke Harry's heart and that's why he joined Uma's crew. Nope that's would just be undermining Uma and Harry's friendship and it's so stereotypical to go that route.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, In2You said:

Dove already came with her little fanfic storyline claiming Harry and Mal used to date(even though D1 told us she never dated before) and Mal broke Harry's heart and that's why he joined Uma's crew. Nope that's would just be undermining Uma and Harry's friendship and it's so stereotypical to go that route.

Oh please god NO!!!!! That is horrible. 

16 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

Here’s hoping it’s different than Liv and Maddie. I could not stand the fact they kept Diggie around for Maddie. He was not better than Josh. 

I was team Josh all the way, but I knew Diggie was inevitable as soon as I found out they were dating in real life. 

So let's see if history repeats itself and Dove's love life changes Descendants like it did Liv and Maddie. So, if they break up IRL before Descendants 4 (if that were to happen) will they rewrite history so that Mal and Harry were never an item? Or will they just write him off like they did Jefferson on Once Upon a Time (who dated and ended up breaking up with the star and was never seen again on the show, with no real explanation. He was just *poof* gone)

• Love 2

I'm surprised that Descendants 3 wil air on Disney Channel next summer instead of being made to a movie like High School Musical 3. I thought that Descendants would of been popular enough that the 3rd can succeed in theaters like High School Musical 3. It might make the promos for the Descendants more tolerable than it currently is. It would also help if that jerk who made a fool of himself on ZOMBIES (Milo Manheim) would just shut up & go away. The more I see him & his happy go lucky-ness self, the more I hate him. He has definitely rubbed me the wrong way. I also don't like Meg Donnelly.

Descendants 3 Casts The Princess and the Frog's Dr. Facilier and his Daughter Celia

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/04/descendants-3-cast-princess-and-the-frog-dr-facilier-daughter/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com

Newcomer Jadah Marie will play Celia, while Jamal Sims joins the cast as Facilier. Sims also already serves as choreographer on Descendants 3, working with executive producer and director Kenny Ortega.

On 5/4/2018 at 6:30 PM, WildFlower87 said:

That's great but what happened to his daughter Freddie? One minute they want to say the movies, cartoon shorts, and books are all different universes the next they want to say they're all connected. Why can't they have synergy across all 3? 

• Love 1

‘Kim Possible’ Live Action Disney Channel Movie Adds Alyson Hannigan And More

The live action Disney Channel movie version of animated hit Kim Possible has announced some casting additions, led by Alyson Hannigan (How I Met Your Mother, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Connie Ray (The Big C).

Also joining the cast are Todd Stashwick (12 Monkeys) and Taylor Ortega, who will play fan-favorite villains Drakken and Shego, respectively; Ciara Wilson (OMG!) has been cast as new high school student Athena; and Erika Tham (Make It Pop) will play Kim’s childhood frenemy, Bonnie.

They join the previously announced Sadie Stanley as Kim Possible and Sean Giambrone as Ron Stoppable.

The comedy-adventure is set to debut in 2019, reprising the tale of an everyday high school girl who, in her spare time, saves the world from villains. Hannigan will play the role of brain surgeon Dr. Ann Possible (aka Mom Possible) and Ray will play grandmother Nana Possible.

Also joining the cast are Todd Stashwick (12 Monkeys) and Taylor Ortega, who will play fan-favorite villains Drakken and Shego, respectively;

Todd Stashwick makes a good villain but he seems too attractive for the part? Then again, I haven't watched a DCOM in a while. Are they only using beautiful people now? I know they cast a 16 year-old but she looks young. I can't tell from the photo if she's tall or not because the guy playing Ron isn't standing up straight and she's also in a crouched position. If she's taller it might help the baby-faced thing but if not she could pass for 12-15. 11 if she's really short. I don't have high hopes but I do love a camp fest. I haven't watched Disney in so long I don't know if I still have the channel.

On 1/7/2018 at 7:21 PM, Aliconehead said:

Could be his mom and her influence got him a shot and the lead.  Who knows how these kid actors get a chance when they are terrible 

Sorry, just catching up  (Zombies) - I had to look him up on Wiki to see who his mother is.  Camryn Manheim - who knew!!! 

‘Kim Possible’ Voices Set For Live Action Disney Channel Update

Christy Carlson Romano – the voice of the original Kim Possible – will have a cameo in the live-action Disney Channel movie update, set for a 2019 debut.

Romano revealed her appearance today during “D23’s Saturday Morning on the Lot,” a live event held at the Burbank studios celebrating ABC and Disney Channel cartoons from 1997–2007, including the original Kim Possible animated series.

Also revealed: comedian/actor Patton Oswalt will play Professor Dementor in the live action.  Oswalt was the voice of Dementor in the original animated series.

On 6/13/2018 at 11:44 AM, paulvdb said:

I saw a lot of ads for this during broadcast tv and no hint that it was a musical. So I was quite taken aback when I was flipping channels and came across a scene with the mother-in-daughter's body singing about Biology. I have seen a lot of blisteringly negative reviews and I do think it wasn't great for a lot of reasons but I thought Cozi Zuehlsdorff did a good job of conveying adult in teenager's body. I was disappointed that there didn't seem to be a big resolution of the mean girl plot.

• Love 2
On 8/11/2018 at 1:27 AM, paulvdb said:

‘Descendants’ Short-Form Special ‘Under The Sea’ Set On Disney Channel

Disney Channel has set Under the Sea: A Descendants Story, a new live-action short-form special for premiere on September 28. Descendants stars Dove Cameron and China Anne McClain reprise their roles as Mal and Uma, respectively in the special which features the arch-nemeses facing off in an epic underwater showdown.

Here is the music video for Under The Sea: A Descendants Story. Dove Cameron shouldn't even bother singing this with China McClain. This could of been very good, but Dove Cameron had to ruin it. 

China McClain & Dove Cameron - Stronger

I saw this yesterday. It wasn't much of a showdown. But, if it was, I would root for Uma every time. Uma was fun to watch in the 10 minute short. She was fun to watch & she is also a very good dancer. I find Uma to be the complete opposite of Mal. Speaking of Mal, Mal was a complete bore & very full of herself. Mal & that wretched Evie (who wasn't in this) can learn a lot from Uma & her gang.

After this special, the only reason to even watch Descendants 3 next summer is for Uma & her gang. Mal & Evie can go jump in a lake for all I care. 

I wonder how Dove Cameron feels about the Descendants franchise. I hope she realize that she will probably be typecasted & this franchise will probably be the pinnacle of her career.

I saw a lot of ads for this during broadcast tv and no hint that it was a musical. So I was quite taken aback when I was flipping channels and came across a scene with the mother-in-daughter's body singing about Biology. I have seen a lot of blisteringly negative reviews and I do think it wasn't great for a lot of reasons but I thought Cozi Zuehlsdorff did a good job of conveying adult in teenager's body. I was disappointed that there didn't seem to be a big resolution of the mean girl plot.

Freaky Friday musical was OK, but it was nothing special. It was very tolerable, but it is not something that I will get excited to watch like High School Musical. At least the Freaky Friday musical is better than ZOMBIES.

Here is a preview of the new upcoming show on Disney Channel called Coop & Cami Ask The World. The first episode will air on October 12th. Is this something to get excited about? It hasn't aired yet & already I will hate Coop.

Coop & Cami Ask The World :First Promo

Coop & Cami Ask The World - Sneak Preview

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1