Type keyword(s) to search

Disney Channel Original Movies - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Descendants looks like cheesy goodness. Also, Kristin Chenoweth is there so that's a plus.

What are your favorite Disney Channel movies? Here's a list on wikipedia in case you can't remember any titles.

My favorites are Zenon, Genius, Alley Cats Strike, Get a Clue, MotoCrossed, and High School Musical.

Pixel Perfect is my ultimate favorite DCOM. Also... Smart House, Cadet Kelly, The Cheetah Girls (still love Cinderella and I remember most of the lyrics), 

Also, way before Timothy O. was cast as Lassie on Psych I knew him as, that guy from The Luck of the Irish.

I know it's cheesy but High School Musical. It got kids interested in musicals. Started the career of a few young actors and a movie series.

Even Stevens: The Movie is right up there. One of the best Disney shows. Fun movie.

Zapped, which premieres on Friday, is already on demand.  Dare I say it's quite a bit better than I was expecting.  Silly premise of course, but the stuff in between is good and it's well acted (for the most part).  Still have a hard time buying Spencer Boldman as a high school student, but he and Zendaya have a nice chemistry together.   It's also just nice to see Zendaya as a separate entity from Bella Thorne.  Maybe I just still have a preference for the smaller DCOM's that aren't huge spectacles of special effects, musical numbers and other flashiness.  While there is a dance number in this, it's low stakes and not a huge deal.

• Love 1
(edited)

I watched this on DEMAND and it complete crap. So predictable and cliche too. I wasn't expecting much from this since the trailer and commercials didn't look very good but I sure wasn't expecting something THIS bad. Seriously, one of the worst scripts in Disney Channel history and nobody could make awful dialogue tolerable.

The whole movie is wrapped around in a cheesy feminism bubble with it's "OMG I WILL MAKE BOYS ACT LIKE GENTLEMEN BECAUSE THEY SIMPLY ANNOY ME." plot and that's not even the worst part. The acting is simply atrocious from everyone. Chanelle Peloso who plays Rachel is one of the most annoying characters put in a DCOM and her voice is almost ear-piercing. You got the bitchy mean girl and her airheaded sidekick villians. Spencer Boldman plays the cheesy type-cast "good looking guy" who's only job is to make 12 year old girls and boys get excited when he's on screen. He has the expression and depth of a wooden slate. Zendaya and Spencer Boldman have absolutely no chemistry. Also, Zendaya wasn't as bad as everyone who I mentioned but at least put in a tiny bit of effort with the script she was given.

Overall, this movie was stupid, unfunny, atrocious, and just all around poor in every regard - acting, script, jokes, and plot.

2/10 because Zendaya at least tried.

Edited by NickDisnCart
(edited)

While I respect your opinion, this is not even close to the worst DCOM of all time.  In fact it's one of the more decent ones in recent history IMO and the acting across the board was quite decent, with a few exceptions.   When I think bad DCOM, I think that one with Sterling Knight and some random girl who couldn't act.  I think Frenemies.    There are a whole lot of them, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.  To me this was much more in line with earlier DCOM's where they have a magical/fantasy element, but are mostly about regular kids at regular schools.  The script is no prize, but it's certainly no worse than anything else DC airs.   It's cheesy and predictable, but so are all DCOM's.  I'd argue this was more entertaining than Cloud 9 as well.  Heck, I probably liked it better than Teen Beach Movie which I thought was mostly snoreworthy outside of the actual singing/dancing scenes.

Also considering the whole obvious message of the movie is that she can't control everything and it's absolutely not okay to control the boys, I'm not really following your argument about the message of the movie.  

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

Since High School Musical (I realized I was getting "too old for this shit"), the only DCOM's I've seen have been Lemonade Mouth, Radio Rebel, and Geek Charming. I make weird decisions when I can't find something to watch flipping channels. Lemonade Mouth was tolerable. Geek Charming was so stupid I had to keep leaving the room. Radio Rebel should have been better but all the messages about being yourself and whatnot made it very toothless. No one was rebellious. The villain (who was like baby Megan Fox in Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen) was not really a villain. I wasted an hour of my life. 

You'd think that they'd slowly be refining the formula for making the perfect preteen/teen movie and not getting worse over time.

I should maybe clarify that every movie doesn't need to have a villain. But if you have a weak villain and there's no other impediment or driving force or stakes in the script, you generally don't have much of a movie.

My favorite DCOM is the Wizards of Waverly Place movie, if that counts. 

I saw most of Zapped.  I definitely didn't think it was the worst thing I've ever seen.  The worst part was the annoying over-acting blonde villain girl who kept tossing her hair over her shoulder.  I do agree that the movie delt in some unfair stereotypes (all boys are disgusting ill-mannered pigs, and the new girl is immediately despised by the other girl because she is more talented and less blonde).  But I kind of liked it.

Is anyone going to watch "How to Build a Better Boy?"

(edited)

No love for Halloweentown? That's my all time favorite DCOM.

I feel like everything with witches disappoints me. Even if I like it on some level, it's not as good as it could be. Charmed, Practical Magic, The Witches of East End, Double Double Toil and Trouble (with the Olsens), Teen Witch, Sabrina. I've seen more witch stuff but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Witches are as close as we get to female protagonists with superhero-like powers. Do more with them. I think I saw Halloweentown too late when it was a bit too silly for me.

Edited by aradia22

Aradia, have you seen the original Bewitched TV series? Fair warning there are the occasional epsiodes that are like "Yep this sure was written in the 60's" but in general the first couple seasons are much smarter and more interetsing than they're given credit for. And the female characers are generally pretty awesome. The writing does go downhill over time, like most long runners, but I say give it a shot. I'm going to PM you a list of my list of "Must watch" epsiodes.

Back on topic: I'm really hoping for a Sky High meets Halloweentown meets Once Upon A Time feel for The Descendents. Delightfully cheesy but not without some genuine emotions.

Sky High is awesome. I might not think so if it had been more successful but since I think of it as this little gem I discovered on HBO, I really enjoyed it. I kind of hate Once Upon a Time. I might revisit it for various reasons but I just find the writing and acting painful to watch.

Bradley Steven Perry and Tyrel Jackson Williams are getting a DCOM of their very own.  Interestingly, it's going straight to Disney XD:

Pants on Fire follows 15-year-old Jack Parker (Good Luck Charlie and Mighty Med's Bradley Steven Perry) who has always skated by on his lies; Jack's best friend, Ryan (Diary of a Wimpy Kid's Joshua Ballard); and Mikey (Lab Rats' Tyrel Jackson Williams), a nonexistent teen whom Jack makes up and claims he is tutoring to provide an excuse for tardiness, avoiding chores and homework, and general mayhem. It's a seemingly great plan until one day Mikey shows up in Jack's life for real, as do all of his other lies, including his possessive girlfriend and a duo of alien body-snatchers.

Is that the first DCOM going straight to Disney XD?  There is also a new one called "Bad Hair Day" in production with Laura Marano and Leigh Allan Baker.  The plot sounded ridiculous.   It's one of those set all in one day type of things and it has something to do with prom and I don't even know.  Wish they had found a better vehicle for Laura Marano.  I'm assuming the Disney stars don't really get much of a say in what DCOM's they wind up doing, but I figured they had to give her something soon since she hasn't had one yet.

Zapped, I agree the blonde mean girl was an overacting mess.  I know she was the villain, but it felt like the actress thought she was in a different movie than everybody else since she was the only one being ridiculously over the top. 

I can't say I have much interest in How to Build a Better Boy based off the promos, but a part of me feels like Disney isn't expecting much from it anyway.  Also Kelly Berglund as the nerdy unpopular girl, complete with "dorky" glasses seems a bit of a stretch.   China seems like she's basically playing her ANT Farm character.  I know that China was a music prodigy as opposed to whatever she is here, but her line delivery and mannerisms seem pretty much the same.

Here's more on Bad Hair Day. Baker is also the Executive Producer.

Bradley Steven Perry and Tyrel Jackson Williams are getting a DCOM of their very own.  Interestingly, it's going straight to Disney XD:

The modern Disney Channel. Dudes need not apply.

Disney XD hasn't had a first-run DCOM of its own since Skyrunners back in 2009, but...yeah.  Their ratio of TVMs with male leads versus female leads is only slightly better than, say, Lifetime's.

(edited)

When I think bad DCOM, I think that one with Sterling Knight and some random girl who couldn't act.  I think Frenemies.    There are a whole lot of them, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

Sterling Knight deserves a hug & a medal of having to put up with that stupid crybaby co-star Danielle Campbell. He was the only thing redeemable about Starstruck.

My favorite DCOM's are the Halloweentown movies (except for the last one because of I don't like Sara Paxton), Quints (I like Kimberly J Brown & I found her to be aborable), Cadet Kelly, The Color of Friendship, Gotta Kick It Up, Wendy Wu (both of them), High School Musical 1-2-3, Stuck in the Suburbs, Life is Ruff, & Read It and Weep (the last 3 because of the Panabaker girls (Danielle & her very beautiful sister Kay))

I think that Frenemies is one of the worst DCOM that I have ever watched. I had to admire Zendaya for putting up with that crap & her very crappy co-star (Bella Thorne). I also don't like either of the Camp Rock movies. It was an inferior version of High School Musical & there was nothing charming or memorable about it. 

Speaking of Zendaya, her DCOM (Zapped) was OK. I was happy that she didn't have Bella Thorne around to make her look bad like on Frenemies. I don't know why they bother having the blond enemy girl in the movie. Everything about her sucks & she was also a sucky dancer. Zendaya can dance & act better than her on so many levels. That blond girl almost single-handily ruined that movie. 

Spencer Boldman showed more personality & charisma than that dumbass (Luke Benward) did in his entire time on Cloud 9. Overall, it was OK, but it could of been better.

I have to be honest, I can't seem to get excited about How To Be A Better Boy & I'm sensing that Disney Channel isn't very excited about this upcoming DCOM by the way they're promoting it. They showed more energy on promoting Zapped than How To Build A Better Boy. It also doesn't help that they could careless about China McClain & Kelly Berglund is nothing to get excited about.

Edited by Magog
(edited)

Brink and Motocrossed are, hands down, my two favorite DCOMs.  So, so cheesy, but I probably watched each about 100 times when they first came out, even though the actual "skater" dialogue in Brink is so, so bad.   

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm a grown ass woman and I will stop and watch Wendy Wu whenever it is on.  Brenda Song is adorable.

Do those 90s/2000s Lawrence Brother's movies count as Disney originals?  I loved Brothers of the Frontier and Jumping Ship.  So dumb, but if I have insomnia and one comes on at 2am, I'm watching it.  

Edited by TrininisaScorp

Honestly I think DCOM's were always cheesy, minus a rare few.  Even my faves from back in the day were pretty ridiculous.  They just have the nostalgia vibe about them so people remember them fondly from their childhoods the way the younger generation will some of the newer ones.  It's like when I see teenagers reminiscing about when Disney Channel was good, but then using shows like Suite Life (either one) and Cory in the House as reference points for the good old days.  No.  The good old days are usually just whatever shows you grew up watching.

Also no, I don't get the impression Disney much cares about How to Build a Better Boy.  I think they figure that China is pretty much done with the network after this and I have no idea if they have plans to try to keep Kelly around when Lab Rats ends, so I don't think they have as much investment in promoting it as much as some of their others.   Put it this way.  It finished filming before Zapped, so if they had wanted to pair it with Girl Meets World, they would have.

Is that the first DCOM going straight to Disney XD?  There is also a new one called "Bad Hair Day" in production with Laura Marano and Leigh Allan Baker.  The plot sounded ridiculous.   It's one of those set all in one day type of things and it has something to do with prom and I don't even know.  Wish they had found a better vehicle for Laura Marano.  I'm assuming the Disney stars don't really get much of a say in what DCOM's they wind up doing, but I figured they had to give her something soon since she hasn't had one yet.

Bad Hair Day sounds lame and boring. Not looking forward to it.

(edited)

I finally watched Zapped and it sucked big time. This whole film is demeaning to all boys. I found this to be the idea of a woman, even though it was a man who directed it. This whole film seems to be screaming the term "Man-Haters" all over it. Zendaya as usual had to dance, the acting in this was horrible, the plot and story was nothing but garbage and insulting to boys. The whole time I watched it, I couldn't be more offended and I felt like hated every minute of it and everything about it.

I find it demeaning and insulting to boys, I actually couldn't stop talking back to the film and the characters in it. I'm surprised this film didn't bomb. Although the thing about this film that satisfied me was that the girls in this finally learned that all boys are innocent and the girls were guilty of every evil thing through the whole plot and story. This film should never seen the light of day the minute they thought of it. I never hated any film in my whole life and this film is hateful to all boys and I think this film deserves to be hated for being the one of the worst DCOM'S ever and demeaning to boys. This film is nothing but an attack on boys and it screams "Man-Haters" all over.

Edited by MoonWalker
(edited)

So I gather you thought Zapped was demeaning to boys?

The whole movie is wrapped around in a cheesy feminism bubble with it's "OMG I WILL MAKE BOYS ACT LIKE GENTLEMEN BECAUSE THEY SIMPLY ANNOY ME." plot and that's not even the worst part.

That's not what feminism is. Has nothing to do with controlling boys/men or being annoyed by them. I didn't particularly care for the boys vs girls aspect of the movie, but I thought it was meant to be lighthearted, in the very base way that the genders sometime annoy each other. You know like, "Ew, girls have cooties. Boys are smelly!" I've seen plenty a storyline revolve around ridiculous feminine stereotypes, at least in this movie, the lead character learned there was benefit to some of the male behaviors. For example, the coach needed the force of his voice to lead his team. She learned trying to control others isn't the way to go through life.

It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen. But, as a grown ass woman watching a DCOM movie, I just expect to be entertained with mindless fare and colorful scenes for an hour and a half at the end of a long week.

Edited by tvallthetime
  • Love 1
It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen. But, as a grown ass woman watching a DCOM movie, I just expect to be entertained with mindless fare and colorful scenes for an hour and a half at the end of a long week.

I usually enjoy DCOM's but Zapped was IMO was....point blank......garbage. How to Build a Better Boy is showing a similar concept of Zapped, but the sci-fi/action elements will set it apart.

(edited)

So that was relatively dramatic.  If you didn't know from the second the film started that the ultimate message of the film was going to be the main character learning that it wasn't okay to control boys and that she would ultimately realize the error of her ways, I'm not sure what to tell you.  Besides the fact that it was obvious, it was even telegraphed in the trailer where they flat out told you as such.   I'm not really sure how much clearer the movie had to be in saying that Zoey was wrong.  So in that sense I don't understand the outrage.  It's really not that serious.  Also feminism does not have the definition some people seem to think it has.

Zapped was based on a book called Boys are Dogs, though the book is set in middle school I believe.   Also with all the stereotypes out there aimed at young girls, am I supposed to be crying at the way boys were depicted in this movie?  Yeah, no.  Especially since all the lead male characters--the dad, the older brother, the love interest and etc. were all shown to be good guys. 

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2
(edited)
So that was relatively dramatic.  If you didn't know from the second the film started that the ultimate message of the film was going to be the main character learning that it wasn't okay to control boys and that she would ultimately realize the error of her ways, I'm not sure what to tell you.  Besides the fact that it was obvious, it was even telegraphed in the trailer where they flat out told you as such.   I'm not really sure how much clearer the movie had to be in saying that Zoey was wrong.  So in that sense I don't understand the outrage.  It's really not that serious.  Also feminism does not have the definition some people seem to think it has.

Zapped was based on a book called Boys are Dogs, though the book is set in middle school I believe.   Also with all the stereotypes out there aimed at young girls, am I supposed to be crying at the way boys were depicted in this movie?  Yeah, no.  Especially since all the lead male characters--the dad, the older brother, the love interest and etc. were all shown to be good guys.

How the hell am I being relatively dramatic. I saw the film. I thought it was garbage and explain why I hated it. Guys can be gross but this was just overboard. You're the one making it serious by making a big deal of what I had to say about the movie. It's my opinion. We agree to disagree.

Edited by MoonWalker

Am I the only old person who remembers Disney before it became the tween network and showed films like "Chips the War Dog", "Goodbye Miss 4th of July", or "Back Home'?  I loved those movies growing up but they are nowhere on DVD!  I would love to see "A Friendship in Vienna" on DVD starring a pre-Rilo Kiley Jenny Lewis.

• Love 1

It's highly embarrassing how many times I've seen the High School Musical movies. I have the cds and the dvds. And I know all the songs still by heart. I know, so very sad for someone who is closer to 30 than 20.

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with that. I don't have a problem with grown-ups enjoying Disney Channel, kids shows, & cartoons.

While watching the entire Disney Channel Replay marathon last night (for 6 hrs & it was a lot of fun to watch), I been seeing promos for How To Build A Better Boy & saw that Disney Channel is promoting an Ariana Grande music video (Break Free) that will air during the movie. Does Disney Channel have no faith in this DCOM that they have to resort to Ariana Grande showing us her new music video (that is already on Youtube) to get people to watch it? I don't see them doing that for Zapped & Teen Beach Musical. 

Edited by Magog

I think that was just as much about Ariana (drifting further out of the Nickelodeon bubble as she is) as it was about getting more eyes on this particular DCOM.  Win-win for DC.

As for How To Build A Better Boy itself: discounting China Anne McClain basically channeling Chyna from A.N.T. Farm and Ashley Argota's surprisingly good bitchfaces, I thought it wasn't too shabby in that typical everything-you-wanted-in-the-worst-possible-way...way.  I was stunned it actually had a fight scene and people running around with guns (if largely in the background), though; that does not happen in DCOMs as a blanket rule.

I didn't have high hopes for HTBABB but I was pleasantly surprised.  I only saw the beginning and the last half hour or so, but from what I saw, it looked like a pretty cute, sweet movie.  Kelli did a good job.  Her character was a little more shy and subdued than Bree on Lab Rats.

Ashley Argota's surprisingly good bitchfaces

To me, she looks like she has permanent bitchface. 

And that is one thing I wish Disney would drop; the catty, bitchy, mean-for-no-real-reason cheerleader trope.  I found AA to be more tolerable than the horrible hair tosser from "Zapped," but still.  I know it's a DCOM and this may be too much to ask, but can the villains please have just a teeny bit of depth?

I know it's a DCOM and this may be too much to ask, but can the villains please have just a teeny bit of depth?

That was one of my problems with Radio Rebel. They don't actually give the villains much depth when they try to do so. They just throw in a scene or two to go "see, you should feel bad for this person, too." In Radio Rebel the villain wanted to be prom queen or something and then we learned that she used to wear a crown to school everyday or some nonsense and in an attempt to humanize her they basically made her a very broken person that possibly needed psychiatric help. I think something similar happened with the mean girl in Zenon, didn't it? I feel like there's a lot of room to play with between "for the evilz" and a totally sympathetic villain and DCOM's don't really go there.

The girl in Radio Rebel was, IIRC, trying to follow in her late mother's prom-queen footsteps.  She and the queen bitch from 16 Wishes at least got some explanation, if not justification, for their bitchery; it really is uncommon for DCOMs (and, in fairness, even Lifetime struggles with this) to give a villain any serious justification beyond simply "bitch crazy."  I wonder what this means for Descendents.

I appreciate Teen Beach Movie for avoiding the Mean Girl trope.

Also, Butchy and Tanner looked REALLY good in their 1962 wear. And Maia Mitchell really is a great find, although she's an ABC Family Star now and I can't see her doing anything else with Disney aside from the Teen Beach movie francise.

The Color of friendship, Motocrossed, The Famous Jett Jackson, HSM 1, WOWP, Brink, Johnny Isunami, Tru Cnfessions, Wendy Wu, Get a Clue, Luck of the Irish, Northern Lights, Under Wraps, Smart House, Genius, The Zenon, Twitches, and Cheetah Girls franchises. I have more that I can't think of but yeah a lot of them are from when I was younger. The last DCom I watched and really liked from this era was Lemondamouth and Good Luck Charlie I guess.

I think Disney uses OTT acting and all these bright colors to distract the teens and as an adult it's hard to find one you can leave the movie saying "I really liked this movie." All though Zapped did that recently because it wasn't so over the top and Zendaya does have a nice presense the other Disney Stars haven't had since Selena and Raven before her.

• Love 1

I finally got around to watching How To Build A Better Boy & I felt like I was going through the motions while watching it. I also didn't laugh once while watching it. Matt Shively being in this movie showed why I can't stand him. He was way over-dramatic through most of the movie & very annoying. Hopefully, Disney Channel will never have him around again. At least Ashley Argota was somewhat tolerable, even I still don't like her from her time on True Jackson. It is making me feel even more sorry for KeKe Palmer for having to put up with these 2 losers.

Overall, How To Build A Better Boy was nothing to get excited about & it made feel even sadder for China McClain. She tried her best in the movie, but the enthusiasm is just not there. Now, she is going to get kicked to the curb by the new flavor of the month on Disney Channel, Sabrina Carpenter. Already Sabrina is showing more energy & charisma in her short time on Disney Channel than China McClain did during her entire time on Disney Channel. It also didn't help that the last season of her show (ANT Farm) absolutely sucked & she has to put up with that idiot Stephanie Scott.

Edited by Magog

Is anybody looking forward to watching Bad Hair Day on Friday Night? They've been promoting it now for the past month.

Here is a preview of this new upcoming DCOM, Bad Hair Day.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0fLr4j-Moz8

Speaking of DCOM's, Rowan Blanchard (Riley) & Sabrina Carpenter (Maya) from Girl Meets World are going to be in a DCOM in the future. Rowan Blanchard will in a future DCOM called Invisible Sister & Sabrina Carpenter will be in a future DCOM called Further Adventures in Babysitting (basically a remake of an 80's movie, Adventures in Babysitting).

Here is some more info about it.

http://www.nickandmore.com/2015/01/09/girl-meets-world-stars-cast-in-new-disney-channel-original-movies/

Edited by Magog

When I was a kid I loved Halloweentown . I probably still could quote most of the lines lol. I'm sure if I watched it now it would seem reallly dumb. I do however remember not really liking the third one but I may have been to old at that point.

I also really liked Color of Friendship: it was a good way to educate children or teens on the apartheid in South Africa.

Edited by blueray

I saw Princess Protection Program the other night. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. I realized that the movie originally aired a number of years ago.  Nevertheless, I have to say that PPP is probably the best DCOM that I have seen.

Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato gave excellent performances. I thought Lovato hit it right on with her portrayal of an aloof, stiff upper lip, out of touch princess. Plus, both SG and DL looked very cute in the movie. I liked how their characters clashed at first, but gradually warmed up to each other.

I also liked the humor. The scenes of them in high school were funny. I got a good laugh seeing how the princess didn't know how to blend in with the high school crowd like how she didn't know how to properly eat a hamburger, with her pinkies pointing out.

They're going to ruin Adventures in Babysitting, aren't they?  That was such a good movie.

I can't see it being a very faithful adaption. There's a of things in there that a modern Disney movie wouldn't touch.

Of course, this proposed remake has been around since Miley Cyrus was the main Disney ingenue so I don't put that much credence into it unless I see it's actually in production.

Based on the press release I don't see this as a remake, but more as a movie with the same basic premise (babysitting) but nothing else in common with the original. Sort of like the various Bring It On sequels which had none of the original movie's characters. The only thing they shared was the basic (cheerleading) premise and the title.