Type keyword(s) to search

The Outpost in the Media

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Synopsis and one promo pic for 3B08 (408) (The Pleasing Voice of the Masters)...

The Outpost - Episode 4.08 - The Pleasing Voice of the Masters - Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at August 13, 2021
https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/08/the-outpost-episode-408-pleasing-voice.html 

Spoiler

BEST LAID PLANS - Talon (Jessica Green) and Luna (Maeve Courtier-Lilly) fight against the gods but not all goes as planned. Janzo (Anand Desai-Barochia) is reunited with someone from his past. Meanwhile, Garret (Jake Stormoen) and Janzo feud over the fate of a prisoner. Lastly, Tobin (Aaron Fontaine) fights to save Talon. The episode was written by Jason Faller & Kynan Griffin and directed by Igor Ŝunter (#3B08). Original airdate 9/2/2021

Promo pic:

Edited by tv echo

Synopsis for 3B09 (409) (The Price of Immortality)...

The Outpost - Episode 4.09 - The Price of Immortality - Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at August 20, 2021 
https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/08/the-outpost-episode-409-price-of.html 

Spoiler

SEARCH AND DESTORY - Talon (Jessica Green) and Zed (Reece Ritchie) see ominous visions beneath the Outpost. Garret (Jake Stormoen) tests his relationship with Talon. Janzo (Anand Desai-Barochia) solves the riddle of an old relic. The episode was written by Justin Partridge and directed by Igor Ŝunter (#3B09). Original airdate 9/9/2021.

Edited by tv echo

Reviews for 3B06 (406)...

The Outpost: Pod Creatures & Garret To The ‘Friend Zone’? – Review, Ep. 406
By: John Baker August 20, 2021
https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2021/08/the-outpost-pod-creatures-garret-to-the-friend-zone-review-ep-406/ 

Some mighty strange goings-on for our heroes in an episode titled, “All We Do Is Say Goodbye,” which it should be noted was directed by our former queen, Immy Waterhouse. And what Immy crafted for us in the sixth episode of season 4 is one with plenty of drama, yet more unanswered questions, and a “what the heck” moment that must have left the “Garron” fans feeling more than a little let down.
Clearly, ‘the gods’ are another species. Now, where did they come from? The Plane of Ashes? The heavens? Or have they always been here and somehow were defeated/tricked into hybernation and banishment? Again, I keep circling back to the Blackbloods-Creatures-Kinj troika of questions and wonder how they relate — and how Talon’s mother banished some to the Plane of Ashes, and what part, if any did these new beings play? It just feels like it’s all related and that Talon, perhaps, has more power than she knows. I’ve seen that speculated a lot on social media, so I think a lot of us feel the same way. But how will it intertwine — and why? Oh, the creative joys that the writers have wrought!
Also of interest was the notion of the pure Blackblood bloodline. Zed was on about that with Talon and Nedra was bugging Wren about it since both are involved with humans. It’s an interesting argument given the decimation of the Blackblood race, but I’m not really sure why Wren was taking Nedra’s crap about it early on. I was glad to see her put her High Priestess foot down and lay out just how valuable all children were in the Outpost. I felt she was kind of wishy-washy about it early, but came back like a boss in the end. How’d the taste, Nedra?

Zed was working the same line of thinking on Talon during their time in the cage on the way to the capital and you could tell it impacted her. I think Zed likes to play the mischief-maker a bit as he later dropped a wry smile at an awkward moment. This all takes us to the eventual rescue of Zed and Talon by Luna (she’s everywhere) and Garret and a meeting with Tobin after the escape. Oh, good for Tobin being dialed into his Kinj so well. He was orbing all over the place like he knew what he was doing. We’ll get back to Tobin in a bit, but first I want to focus on Garret and Talon. There’s been a hue and cry for more “Garron” action in the series thus far. Well, we got it, but it was tense and very “friend zone” feeling.
With Talon and Luna off to the Dragman monastery, and Zed and Garret headed back to the Outpost to report on what’s transpired, there was a moment there that really kind of sucked for Garret. After he utters the immortal line and title of this episode, “All we do is say goodbye,” to Talon, he goes in for a smooch. And that’s when it happens. Talon turns her head away and Garret’s unchapped lips fall on her cheek. Garret was denied, people! And I’m none too happy about that. I mean the guy has been through so much, and Talon just got through telling Zed that she was “with Garret.” And yet, at that tender moment when Garret wanted to express his love and devotion, she opens the door to the friend zone cafe and pushes our hero through the doors. this will not stand! I demand a lip-lock from these two soon!! So let it be written (and it is), so let it be done!
Once again, congrats to Immy Waterhouse for her directorial skills. Episode 6 was another solid and interesting episode that pushed the plot further down the line while also giving us more questions. And that’s something this show does so very well – answer a question, then ask two more. I think that’s why at the finish of each episode so many people are hungry for the next so intensely. There are questions to be answered and threads to be pulled together to make a tapestry of — well, we don’t know yet, do we? I think that’s a wonderfully resonant mystery that keeps us coming back. So far in six episodes, I haven’t seen a stinker yet.

Related podcast discussion:
The Outpost Calling - 8/21/2021
https://www.blogtalkradio.com/threeifbyspace/2021/08/22/the-outpost-calling--8212021 

The Outpost Review: All We Do Is Say Goodbye (Season 4 Episode 6)
August 20, 2021Charles E Henning
https://telltaletv.com/2021/08/the-outpost-review-all-we-do-is-say-goodbye-season-4-episode-6/ 

The Outpost Season 4 Episode 6, “All We Do Is Say Goodbye,” finally approaches the elephant in the room — interspecies relationships. Since the reveal of the existence of other living Blackbloods, I’ve always had this nagging concern in the back of my mind. How do the Blackbloods feel about their bloodline mixing with humans?
Zed and Nedra feel it is their job to voice these worries to the concerned couples one-on-one. What better time for Zed to act than when he is locked in a mobile cell on the way to The Capital? Seriously, he practically has Talon cornered.
But let’s think about this for a minute. Does Talon owe her people anything?

Yes, she did play a part in what happened to her people, but she had no way of knowing how things would turn out. How could she? 
Wren can stay loyal to her people while also embracing human culture. She can raise this child alongside Janzo, teaching them the ways of the Blackbloods and humans alike. This can create true harmony between the species like nothing has before. 

Edited by tv echo

Reviews of 3B07 (407) (The Power of the Masters)...

The Outpost: The Bell Tolls For Another Queen — Review, Ep. 407
By: John Baker August 27, 2021
https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2021/08/the-outpost-the-bell-tolls-for-another-queen-review-ep-407/ 

I don’t know if it could have ended any other way for Falista, to be honest. But man, right out of the gate – in the show’s first minute? Brutal stuff. It seemed as though she was doomed in some sense when she took up the mantle of The Three as a divine inspiration for her rule as queen. Let’s be honest for a moment, Falista’s ascension to the throne was fraught with uncertainty. I don’t think she would have taken the crown if she’d felt that the others understood and honored her pain at the loss of Tobin in the season’s opening episode.
But with it came a path that seemed to grow more delusional and more ominous with each step. The truth is, Falista’s sad demise seemed inevitable. And in this latest episode, we got it. I will miss Georgia May Foote’s work in this role. She got it spot-on time after time. Well done.
But wait, there’s more. We now have a pretty certain idea that Skevikor is the awakening of the “minions” to do the bidding of those creatures searching for the final Kinjes – the Masters. Clearly, there is a line between the masters and the minions, who would appear to simply be worker bees who do the bidding of their masters. The small revelations from 313 would seem to confirm that he and the rest of his kind, entombed in chambers below the Outpost, are the semi-mindless slaves of Vorta, Tera, Janya and the rest.
Speaking of Garret, how much guff does that guy have to take? I mean it’s bad enough that Talon is cold to him, but he got attitude and lip from Zed and Janzo as well, not too mention the guard at the gate. People seem to be going out of their way to harsh Garret’s mellow of late and I’m not a fan of that. Again, though, just another added bit of tension and emotional struggle being heaped upon his handsome brow. When will Garret know peace and happiness? My soul cries out for it for this character. Let the torment end, Dean Devlin.
So now we have four “gods” with their Kinjes and they certainly look formidable. To say I’m delighted that those four just happened upon Talon, Luna and Naya (Yes, she’s back – and I’m delighted. Now bring Gertrusha back and I’ll be completely happy) at the Everit Dred Temple Of Health and Relaxation is an understatement. Our first face-off with Talon and the gods should be interesting. And with Tobin filled with rage and hurt and orbing around out there, who knows how this showdown will turn out.

^^^ Related podcast discussion of this episode:
The Outpost Calling - 08/28/2021
https://www.blogtalkradio.com/threeifbyspace/2021/08/29/the-outpost-calling--08282021

The Outpost Review: The Power of The Masters (Season 4 Episode 7)
August 27, 2021  Charles E Henning
https://telltaletv.com/2021/08/the-outpost-review-the-power-of-the-masters-season-4-episode-7/ 

The Outpost Season 4 Episode 7, “The Power of The Masters,” shows the pros and cons of blind faith by putting each character into a situation where the outcome isn’t predictable. Their actions play out according to their beliefs, and the culmination of their decisions unfolds right before our eyes.
Oh, how I’ve missed Naya! The lovable and slightly zany character started as Janzo’s love interest but ended up being his long-lost sister. I still remember the chuckle that storyline gave me!
Now, this leads us back to Falista. Poor, misguided Falista. She has blind faith as well, but it isn’t in the right place.
Please learn from Falista’s mistakes. Know who you are giving the benefit of the doubt to.

Are they good people? Do they have everyone’s best intention at heart?

Also FYI:
The CW Show 'The Outpost' Was Filmed in Two Very Different Parts of the World
BY LEILA KOZMA   AUG. 26 2021
https://www.distractify.com/p/where-is-the-outpost-filmed 

Edited by tv echo

Synopsis for 3B10 (410)...

The Outpost - Episode 4.10 - Something To Live For - Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at September 01, 2021
https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/09/the-outpost-episode-410-something-to.html 

A GAME OF CAT AND MOUSE – Talon (Jessica Green) and Luna (Maeve Courtier-Lilley) return to a familiar tomb. Janzo (Anand Desai-Barochia) and Wren (Izuka Foyle) find themselves in a precarious position. Meanwhile, Zed (Reece Ritchie), Munt (Adam Johnson) and Nedra (guest star Tamara Radovanović) must play a deadly game against the gods. The episode was written by Jason Faller & Kynan Griffin and directed by Milan Konjević (#3B10). Original airdate 9/16/2021.

Edited by tv echo

Reviews for 3B08 (408)...

The Outpost: Third Time’s A Charm For Tobin – Review, Ep. 408
By: John Baker September 3, 2021
https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2021/09/the-outpost-third-times-a-charm-for-tobin-review-ep-408/

Man, you can’t say the creators of The Outpost aren’t keeping us on our toes in season four. The plot turns are coming thick and fast and it is clear that no one is safe from the writer’s red editing pencil. And so it was in episode 408, “The Pleasing Voice of the Masters,” that we were once again facing the very real truth that loss is a big part of this show. And while I suppose you could see this one coming to some extent, two deaths back-to-back leaves a bit of wound, doesn’t it?
Tobin has been an interesting character from the outset. He came into the show a immature man-child, content only to drink, wench and…well, repeat. But he grew, as have all the characters of this show. He developed, he added layers and by the time we lose him at the hands of The Four (now The Five), he has grown into a noble lord, a fierce warrior and man that understands honor, integrity and whom he can trust — even if he disagrees with them. I thought Aaron Fontaine did a marvelous job of shepherding this character along and giving him a real vibrant persona after initially being kind of a caricature of a buffoonish prince, capable of only rudimentarily good moments thanks only to the guidance of Gertrusha.
Slowly but surely, the Masters are acquiring the Kinjes. And that seems to be a slow walk toward dominating this world. Now, only Zed and Talon, whose Kinj seems to be of particular irritation to the Masters, are left. Talon’s Kinj is called the AsterKinj and this Aster entity seems to be the betrayer of their kind. I really suspect before we are done here we are going to circle back to the very first episode and discover how Talon’s mom acquired that Kinj.
I also think Luna does as well now that the Skevikor key is talking to her. Are those the thoughts of the Cavi that are cocooned within the chamber below the Outpost? Remember, there’s clearly a hive mind at work here and speaking of tie-ins from the past, we get a Yavalla reference and her parasite Kinj. A nice touch and one that, given what we learn, makes perfect sense.
There were a couple parts of this episode I really enjoyed. The first was seeing Tobin, Zed and Garret together before Tobin went after Talon. Three warriors together, often in conflict with each other, but in that moment understanding the odds and the dangers. There was mutual respect from all three to all three and I liked that. I liked that a lot. I thought it showed that when warriors step in harm’s way, other warriors recognize what that takes and respond to it. And Aaron Fontaine, Jake Stormoen and Reece Ritchie just lent it an air of authenticity that I really responded to.
I also liked Zed’s moment of realization about who and what he is. Garret expresses doubt about whether he and Talon should be together as human and Blackblood and Zed, in what was a surprising little arc, dismisses his own words are foolish. He lets us in to his own world a bit, a world without anyone. Wren and Janzo are happy, so good for them. Garret and Talon are in love, so good for them. But Zed is clearly feeling the weight of loneliness at long last and has started to look on those relationship with a bit of envy and longing.
It’s also fun to see Janzo, and to a lesser extent Wren, be somewhat subversive about things. Janzo wants to study, to probe, to learn and he isn’t above overtly or quietly defying Garret and Tobin’s wishes about the key. He’s a rascal, that one. Let’s hope that curiosity doesn’t end in disaster for everyone.

Related podcast discussion:
The Outpost Calling - 09/04/21
https://www.blogtalkradio.com/threeifbyspace/2021/09/05/the-outpost-calling--090421 

The Outpost Review: The Pleasing Voice of The Masters (Season 4 Episode 8)
September 3, 2021    Charles E Henning
https://telltaletv.com/2021/09/the-outpost-review-the-pleasing-voice-of-the-masters-season-4-episode-8/ 

On The Outpost Season 4 Episode 8, “The Pleasing Voice of The Masters,” several characters feel as though they are assigned a certain task that they must complete. The problem is someone else sees the situation differently. 
Tobin, knowing firsthand what these beings are capable of, does everything he can to shut down Garret’s way of thinking.  He presents the logic of the situation to Garret straightforward. The more people brought into the battle, the more people are going to die. 

Plain and simple, humans without a kinj are powerless against these beings. 
The positives of freeing 313’s people may outweigh the dangers, but there is honestly no way of knowing.  They must act in faith instead of fear. 
And I’ll ask you this one last time, is Tobin in the wrong for wanting to save Talon all by himself? No, I do not believe he is.

Edited by tv echo

Synopsis for 3B11 (411) (Guardian of the Asterkinj) - this episode was directed by Jake Stormoen...

The Outpost - Episode 4.11 - Guardian of the Asterkinj - Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at September 04, 2021
https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/09/the-outpost-episode-411-guardian-of.html 

Spoiler

JAKE STORMOEN DIRECTS - Talon (Jessica Green) and Luna (Maeve Courtier-Lilley) must make a very difficult choice. Meanwhile, Zed (Reece Ritchie) returns to the Outpost with a heavy burden. The episode was written by Rebecca Rosenberg and directed by Jake Stormoen (#3B11). Original airdate 9/23/2021.

Edited by tv echo

I just finished watching the following video of GalaxyCon's The Outpost Virtual Experience today (Sep. 4)...

https://galaxycon.com/pages/outpost-live-stream-0904?&ml_subscriber=1763046387534010113&ml_subscriber_hash=w5p2 

Moderator: Patty Hawkins
Panelists (in order of appearance): Imogen Waterhouse (Gwynn), Adam Johnson (Munt), Jake Stormoen (Garret), Anand Desai-Barochia (Janzo) and Jessica Green (Talon)

-- The cast members talked about their craziest experiences on set. Apparently swords, horses and pants were a problem.

-- They then talked about working and living in Serbia for the past two years. They've been there so often that it feels like another home to them. The cast bonded in 2020 because they were there together throughout the pandemic. They were there when the first Starbucks opened in Belgrade.

-- When asked what aspects of their character they'd like to see explored more, ADB said that he wants to see a darker side to Janzo. AJ would like to see Munt have a love life and also a leadership position. IW said that she would have liked to have seen Gwynn become a more evolved ruler and to see more of her love for Talon. JS said that he wants to see Garret have "more than five minutes of getting his act together," before the rug gets pulled out from under him. JG said that she wants to see Talon "lightening up a little bit," because things are always so serious for her. She sees the lighter Janzo/Wren scenes and the funny Munt scenes, and they look like so much fun.

-- When asked about the funniest moment on set, JS mentioned an upcoming Garret/Munt scene that hasn't aired yet. JG said that she and IW had so much fun together. She then mentioned a scene when Gwynn slowly turns around and speaks in a deeper, Yavalla voice, but they kept laughing and spoiled the shot. All of the panelists said that there's a lot of laughter on set. ADB mentioned his scenes with Izuka Hoyle (Wren). JG mentioned an instance when a stand-in for one of the "gods" walked in, which apparently was very funny. AJ mentioned a scene where they found the cocoon, directed by IW, when she asked him to give a "high-pitched squeal." He couldn't do it, so ADB gave a scream as an example.

-- When asked how they prepare and train for choreographed fight scenes, ADB said that he really doesn't have to do any stunts, other than throwing bombs. JG said that they have a "wonderful stunt coordinator" and that they have to learn stunts very fast. They only have one or two sessions. JG used to dance, so that helps her learn stunts quickly. JS added that they usually have to learn the stunts only a day or two before filming. He said that, for the most part, they all do their own stunts. JG said that IW did "one of the best stunts of the season" when she was wired up and leaped on Yavalla to kill her.

-- When asked if they have a favorite costume or outfit, ADB mentioned Janzo's nightshirt and cap. AJ's favorite outfit was an outfit that he didn't even get to wear to film his scene in (a shirt and no pants for the scene where Munt gets drunk after the failed dinner with Warlita).  JS said that he loved Garret's armor in Season 1 because he loved being a knight, but now his favorite is the leather duster that Garret's wearing in the current episodes, even though it weighs a lot. IW said that she probably had the most costumes. She loved Gwynn's red costume. JG said that her favorite costume was Talon's green outfit in the Season 3 finale.

-- When asked for their dream role, ADB would love to do James McAvoy's role in Split (multiple personalities). JG would love to be a female Deadpool (action and comedy). IW would love to do something in a great location (like Hawaii) and do an American accent. AJ would love to do "some cool cowboy stuff." JS said that he's a "big fantasy nerd" and would love to play Kelsier in a screen adaptation of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn.

-- When asked if ADB "throws his weight around" now that he's an associate producer, other cast members joked that ADB is horrible to work with. JS then seriously responded that ADB is a "joy" to work with. AJ said that the cast all get along and that they have fun together.

E-d_vMYUYAA516E?format=jpg 
(pic source)

Edited by tv echo

The Outpost Review: The Price of Immortality (Season 4 Episode 9)
September 10, 2021     Charles E Henning
https://telltaletv.com/2021/09/the-outpost-review-the-price-of-immortality-season-4-episode-9/ 

The Outpost Season 4 Episode 9, “The Price of Immortality,” gives us several glimpses into how life changes over time. Many characters set out to meet a certain objective throughout the series, and that goal evolves. Sometimes this can look like a failure, but in all honesty, it is just the way of life.
Aster is the one they call the betrayer. A supposed god who was able to see good in the Blackbloods despite his comrades’ hatred for them. It is unclear why he chooses love instead of hatred, but this choice causes a major backlash.
Now Talon lives in a constant state of remorse, second-guessing her every decision and purpose.

The consequences have even put her relationship with Garret in peril. Is she continuing to let her people down by coupling with a human? Is it her duty to mate with other Blackbloods?

To anyone on the outside, the obvious answer is no, but Talon is conflicted by her wrong decisions of the past.

Edited by tv echo

Synopsis for 3B12 (412) (The Betrayer)...

The Outpost - Episode 4.12 - The Betrayer - Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at September 12, 2021
https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/09/the-outpost-episode-412-betrayer-press.html 

Spoiler

TRUST - Talon (Jessica Green) and Luna (Maeve Courtier-Lilley) return to the Outpost with a dubious ally. Garret (Jake Stormoen) and Zed (Reece Ritchie) attempt to a descent on the Outpost. Meanwhile, Janzo (Anand Desai-Barochia) and Wren (Izuka Hoyle) devise a plan to save the Kahvi and Talon learns about Aster's (guest star Gerrard Miller) true plan. The episode was written by Justin Partridge and directed by Milan Todorović (#3B12). Original airdate 9/30/2021.

Edited by tv echo

Synopsis for 3B13 (413) (Nothing Lasts Forever) - series finale...

The Outpost - Episode 4.13 - Nothing Lasts Forever (Series Finale) - Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at September 17, 2021
https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/09/the-outpost-episode-413-nothing-lasts.html 

Spoiler

FINALE

Talon (Jessica Green) and her friends battle against the gods. Janzo (Anand Desai-Barochia), Wren (Izuka Hoyle) and Munt (Adam Johnson) fight to save the Kahvi. A ruler is crowned.

“The Outpost” is starring Jesscia Green as Talon, Jack Stormoen as Garret, Imogen Waterhouse as Gwynn and Anand Desai-Barochia as Janzo.

The episode was written by Jason Faller and directed by Milan Todorović (#3B13).

ETA: Remaining three episodes:

9/23/21    3B11 (411)    Guardian of the Asterkinj
9/30/21    3B12 (412)    The Betrayer
10/7/21    3B13 (413)    Nothing Lasts Forever

Edited by tv echo

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT5AsRXFO0m/ 

jakestormoen Hey there, #Blackbloods. As many of you have likely heard, The CW has decided not to renew #TheOutpost. I know—based on the countless tweets, messages, and comments you’ve sent my way—that a lot of you right now are feeling like Garret and Zed in this photo. I get it. I understand. And I appreciate your sadness and frustration.

But please know that an indie Fantasy series having a wonderful home like The CW for FOUR reasons (regardless of what you want to title them) is nothing short of extraordinary. ANY series is thrilled to get that lifespan. An independent one in a genre like ours getting to this point is remarkable, and it’s because of every one of you who watched, cheered, supported and loved Gallwood Outpost and its inhabitants.

I’m sad, make no mistake. But I’m also incredibly grateful. I have no idea what the future will bring for myself or for the show, but I can’t thank YOU all enough for coming along for the ride.

It is my sincerest hope that you’ll stick with us for these last four episodes. We poured our hearts into them; episode 11 (next week) is particularly special to me because I directed it and it marked my directorial debut. I’m especially saddened that this decision was made before that episode aired, to be honest.

But as before, I will do all I can to join you for these next four episodes in live tweeting with you while they air, and remain as accessible as I can on social media. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. It’s been one helluva ride.

See you soon, and I hope that whether it’s wearing the boots of Garret Spears or someone else, I’m able to continue entertaining you all for years to come.

Until then. 🥃
#TheOutpost @outpostseries

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

GalaxyCon finally posted its official video of the Sep. 4th The Outpost virtual panel...

The Outpost Full GalaxyCon Q&A
GalaxyCon   Sep 17, 2021

During GalaxyCon's Q&A with the cast of The Outpost, Jessica Green “Talon”, Anand Desai-Barochia “Janzo”, Adam Johnson “Munt”, Jake Stormoen “Captain Garret Spears” and Imogen Waterhouse "Gwynn Calkussar" talk character moments, behind the scenes and more!00:00 Welcome to GalaxyCon Live!

20:10 What wat it like living and working in Serbia?
15:23 Any aspects of your character you would like to see explored more in the future?
20:16 What has been the funniest moment on-set?
28:56 How do you train for fight scenes/learn the sequences?
32:53 What was your favorite costume or outfit?
37:22 What is a dream role for each of you?
40:19 Does Anand throw his weight around as executive producer?
41:53 Final words

Edited by tv echo

The Outpost Review: Something to Live For (Season 4 Episode 10)
September 17, 2021    Charles E Henning
https://telltaletv.com/2021/09/the-outpost-review-something-to-live-for-season-4-episode-10/ 

The Outpost Season 4 Episode 10, “Something to Live For,” brings Zed and Nedra’s relationship full circle, highlighting their ups and downs and causing them to speak their true feelings for each other.
On the Plane of Ashes, nothing could grow let alone prosper. But in this world, life is abundant. Plants and animals live and expand throughout the territory, enabling people to have a life filled with quality and love.

Seeing the world through these eyes can give one a sense of awe and appreciation. As Nedra says herself, it gives her something to live for.
Elsewhere on the episode, 313 creates much havoc in the Outpost. He chooses violence to get his way, repeatedly attacking Wren, Janzo, and Garret when they least expect it. 

His unwise decision gets him the opposite of what he wants, leading to destruction instead of life. 
Wren sees his motives very similar to the way Nedra sees the world. Things may not be perfect, but there is always something positive if you only look hard enough. 

Edited by tv echo

Why The Outpost deserves another season
by Neda Mostafavi   September 16, 2021
https://hiddenremote.com/2021/09/16/outpost-deserves-another-season/ 

There are many reasons why The Outpost deserves to live on and have more seasons. But I will start by saying that one of the main reasons is that it’s so unlike anything else on TV right now.

Sure there are a couple fantasy shows here and there, mostly on streaming services, but overall there are very few fantasy shows to be found. Especially ones actually on TV and not a streaming service. The Outpost is unique and fun and finally a show for fantasy lovers to watch on TV once a week.

Even among fantasy shows not all of them are able to provide both the fantasy element and the plot and character development the way The Outpost does. There is a reason the fans of the show are so devoted to it.
The Outpost also has an amazing cast of characters that fans immediately fell in love with. Talon, Garret, Janzo, Wren, Gwynn, and Munt are just a few of the many characters that are so beloved by fans. I know I speak for myself as well when I say that the fans aren’t ready to let them go. There’s so much more we want to see from them and so much more story to tell.
With only a few episodes now left to finish out the series, I hope they will be able to wrap up the story properly. But as they already finished filming it some time ago it is likely there will still be some plots and questions left open or unresolved. It is only fair to let The Outpost have another season to wrap everything up the way they would like, while knowing in advance that it’s going to be the end.

Honestly there’s so many elements that have to come together in these final few episodes that I cannot even begin to imagine how everything is going to be wrapped up. You have the plotline of saving Talon and Zed from the old Gods, Wren and Janzo’s half human-half Blackblood baby, what to do with the race of Kahvi sleeping below The Outpost, Garret and Talon hopefully mending their relationship, and then deciding who is going to rule The Outpost now that Tobin and Falista are gone. And that is just some of the remaining plots.
While the fanbase of The Outpost may not be as large as some others, they are a loving and dedicated group of fans. The show may have a bit more of a cult following, rather than large popular appeal, but that is part of its charm.  And with each season as the show gets better and better the viewership has been growing. There is a market for fantasy shows if networks would just learn to capitalize on it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The Outpost: Tension, Answers & (perhaps) Some New Allies — Review, Ep. 411
By: John Baker    September 24, 2021
https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2021/09/the-outpost-tension-answers-perhaps-some-new-allies-review-ep-411/ 

“Guardian of the Asterkinj” is notable for being Jake Stormoen’s directorial debut. I find it exciting to see cast members dip their toes into other areas of the work they do like Immy Waterhouse directing and Anand Desai-Barachia as an associate producer. Now, Jake has put himself out there and to his credit, I think he did a splendid job. I think what most strikes me is that he continued a theme of heightening the tension and expectation that has really ratcheted up the last few weeks.

My understanding is that Jake went to college to study direction, but found the acting bug biting him and traveled that direction first. I thought his work in this episode was seamless and really did push the tension level up another notch while also providing us with some perspective on “The Seven.” I don’t have the directorial acumen to know the nuts and bolts of what Jake accomplished in the director’s chair.
At long last Aster has been awakened and we got a few answers as he described the trail of the Asterkinj to Talon and Luna. It was a big moment for Talon to pass on the kinj to Aster, but it was a moment where she had to trust her instincts – and Luna had to be okay with Talon’s instincts – something that I would think a character like Talon would rely on greatly to survive the way she has. It’s funny, but I’ve begun to really think that Luna’s irreverent attitude about things is more of a defense mechanism than an immature stab at being funny. She quite clearly sees Talon as some sort of mentor at this point and clearly is willing to put her trust in Talon’s instincts.

We still don’t know if Aster is the “father” of the Blackbloods, but we do know that he is the reason The Realm wasn’t destroyed as he put the other six to sleep and secured their kinjes in his chamber. And he was right, if he really intended to save the humans and blackbloods, he probably should have eliminated his contemporaries. It’s interesting that in this episode we may have seen the beginnings of an alliance forming between Aster, the Calvi, and the rest of humanity and Blackbloods.
This episode was really a turning point for 313, whom we shall now know as “Marvin.” “I like Marvin” he said when Janzo and Wren decided he needed a proper name and Wren threw that one out there. Marvin, who is just starting to understand the concept of freedom and choice, made some bad ones in the episodes before, but came through in a big way in this one, saving Garret from “she who orbs in and out.” Marvin realized his bad decisions and raced to save Garret from a murder attempt, thereby earning Garret’s thanks and a modicum of respect.
I thought the scene at the creek where he spread Nedra’s ashes, backed by the beautiful voice of Wren (Izuka Hoyle has the pipes, baby) and the music of composer James Schafer, was a really warm and intense moment. Not all the tension of this show rests with The Seven and their machinations. There are other moments that up the tension factor in subtle ways and this was one of them. She wasn’t just a fellow warrior, she was more. And I think Zed is discovering how much more in the aftermath of her loss. Great scene and just a great touch from the director’s chair by Jake Stormoen. And Reece Ritchie is just golden in this role. My appreciation for his talent and how he plays Zed is hard to express. I just like him and his work on multiple levels.

It has been interesting to see Janzo and Wren kind of become the conscience of the show this season. And their scientific interest, combined with their genuine empathy for 313 and his people has been interesting to watch. I admit I thought their naivete nearly led to disaster via 313 (Marvin), but in the long run their patience and bold determination to free the Kahvi from slavery has been well worth the effort. It looks as though Marvin has found the first few steps of his own journey and that’s entirely to the credit of “Wrenzo.” While everyone else around them has been flailing a bit, Janzo and Wren have remained true to not only themselves, but to their values as it pertains to other life. Their goodness and empathy may pay dividends when all hell breaks loose.

ETA: John Baker's podcast discussion of 3B11 (411):

The Outpost Calling - 09/25/21
https://www.blogtalkradio.com/threeifbyspace/2021/09/26/the-outpost-calling--092521 

Edited by tv echo

This interview is actually from 2019...

Exclusive Interview: Pop-Culturalist Chats with The Outpost’s Anand Desai-Barochia
BY KEVIN    SEPTEMBER 8, 2019
http://pop-culturalist.com/exclusive-interview-pop-culturalist-chats-with-the-outposts-anand-desai-barochia/ 

P-C: We read that you were initially supposed to audition for Garret, but the character of Janzo spoke to you more. Walk us through the decision to audition for Janzo instead. How did you prepare to get into his mindset?
Anand:
The Outpost is a genre that I have never worked in before, partly due to the fact that I had barely worked before. When you are a struggling actor desperate for any audition that comes your way, you jump at any opportunity. The Outpost audition was no different in that sense. I’d be lying to you if I told you it was presented to me on a silver plate and “I chose” to work on the project.

The major difference to other auditions was that I was asked to audition for a role that was different than the one I had been called in for. When you get used to auditioning, you start to know your strengths. It’s safe to say I also take risks and make bold choices with my work. Nine times out of ten, it’s not what they want, but the one-time creatives are open to seeing something new, so it can land pretty well. I knew I could make some bold choices with Janzo given his writing in the pilot. Something about him made me want to try out something new and weird and wonderful. That’s why I do this, and that’s why I asked to switch.

P-C: Did you feel like you were taking a gamble at the time?
Anand:
Not at all! The part of Garret was never mine. It’s never a gamble going from one part that you don’t have to another. It was a happy discovery to find a character I love buried in an audition that I knew wasn’t for me.

P-C: Janzo and Garret have an interesting relationship. Is it strange to look back and realize you almost played him?
Anand:
Jake Stormoen plays Garret as I could never have done. He obtains and excels in skill sets that are so key to Garret’s character and being. I don’t think it was ever on the cards for me to play him; Garret is a strong warrior who rides horses and has an incredible physique. My producers don’t let me go near a horse and I like doughnuts.

Edited by tv echo

Media reviews of 3B12/412 ('The Betrayer")...

The Outpost: Plans In Place As Endgame Is In Sight – Review, Ep. 412
By: John Baker    October 1, 2021
https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2021/10/the-outpost-plans-in-place-as-endgame-is-in-sight-review-ep-411/ 

This is going to be somewhat brief compared to my other looks at single episodes of The Outpost. The series’ penultimate episode, “The Betrayer,” did a lot of setting the table for the season finale next week, but along the way also provided some interesting perspective on these wonderful characters we’ve been following for 49 episodes. And I liked that. I liked getting some answers and within those answers some perspectives changed.
I think that the revelation that Aster is the father of the Blackbloods, and by extension the Blackbloods and humans are kin to each other, had an interesting impact on several of our heroes. I think it gave Talon the permission she needed to let her love of Garret free. It was hard not to miss that her demeanor towards her lover changed significantly when she, Luna and Aster made it to the Outpost. She was warm, affectionate and clearly letting her love light shine through, something we hadn’t seen in a long time from her towards Garret. She’d been moody, aloof and hard to get close to. Acerbic is how I’d describe it.
Hence, once again the dirty work looks like it will fall to Talon. I suppose, as this show comes to a conclusion, that’s as it should be. Talon will again have the Kinje and the goal is to send the other six to a barren and frigid wasteland where they will freeze and ultimately die. In truth, Talon standing against the oppressors kind of brings this show full circle in some ways. I’m sure she’ll have help, but it looks like much of what needs to be done will fall into her lap…again.
However, in thinking about it, I think Wren’s empathy towards the Kahvi is a direct link back to the near-extinction of her own people. She couldn’t do anything about the Blackblood genocide, but she damn well wants to do something for the Kahvi, a people who have known nothing but enslavement. She seems very driven by this desire, even to the possible detriment of the overall goal of stopping the Six. Wren wants her cake and to eat it to. And the Kahvi, I suspect, will be thankful for that.

So in that vein, I better understand why it seems she’s more concerned with saving and freeing the Kahvi than the threat that is descending on the Outpost. ....
So, our heroes await their fate at the Outpost. Wren, Janzo, Zed, Talon, Munt, Garret, Luna and Aster await the arrival of their enemies. Aster will give his Kinje to Talon, who everyone hopes will have some clue how to use it. This goes back to something many of us have noted – that Talon must have more talents than she’s aware of. I kind of wonder if she’s a direct descendent of Aster. Hope that proves true. It feels as though Aster has great faith in her. There’s also that special blade – the ahl-Kora – that helps subdue these creatures and as Aster noted, without a blade for each creature, she will need to use it on the “right one.” That’s intriguing and in my mind points toward Vorta, or perhaps the life-force gatherer. Could be?
... Jake Stormoen has been a revelation for me in this role and is an actor I look forward to following for years to come. His Garret is a complex individual with a capacity for evolution emotionally. And I have liked that part of him.

The Outpost Review: The Betrayer (Season 4 Episode 12)
October 1, 2021    Charles E Henning
https://telltaletv.com/2021/10/the-outpost-review-the-betrayer-season-4-episode-12/ 

Within the first ten minutes of The Outpost Season 4 Episode 12, “The Betrayer,” Marvyn poses one of the toughest questions known to mankind. So far this season he has been presented with clear-cut decisions, but what can he choose when there are no good choices? The rest of the episode goes out of its way to show examples of how to proceed. 
Instead, Garret makes the wiser decision of evacuating everyone from the Outpost. It may not appear to be the bravest of acts, but this isn’t the best time to worry about keeping up appearances. After all, bravery and stupidity often look similar.
Although Garret and Zed’s action only buys them a minuscule amount of time, their heroic deeds save countless lives and give them a slight advantage. The only people left in the Outpost are warriors of might and wisdom. This leaves them very little liability. 

Edited by tv echo

I guess this is what happens when your show is cancelled...

Live TV ratings: Grey’s Anatomy down, The Outpost up
by Alexandria Ingham  Oct 1, 2021
https://hiddenremote.com/2021/10/01/live-tv-ratings-thursday-september-30/ 

The CW was the only other network with new episodes of regular shows. ... The Outpost was up 100% in the demo and up 64% in the total audience.

The Outpost's penultimate episode (12th episode) got ratings of 0.1 demo and 0.57M viewers. (source)

Edited by tv echo

‘THE OUTPOST’ CAPTIVATES WITH A RICH PLOT RATHER THAN HIGH-BUDGET EFFECTS
By Kayla Carlamere     October 6, 2021
https://themontclarion.org/entertainment/the-outpost-captivates-with-a-rich-plot-rather-than-high-budget-effects/ 

The amazing plot of “The Outpost,” in addition to its well-developed characters, tear-jerking deaths, humor, magic and science, is buried by its reputation as a show of low-budget effects and lack of perfectly executed action scenes, leaving some to declare their distaste for the series before giving it a chance.

However, this season encountered a new need for effects, as it introduced two new races, the “Kahvi” and the “Gods,” both of which have unique features and powers. The effects used were still not on par with those you may see in a Marvel movie, but it was ensured they were not too distracting or fatuous and still able to play a role in a thrilling fight scene without seeming out of place. They were better executed this season than in past seasons and never distracted from the story, which is the leading force of the finale just as it had been in all other seasons.
This season also includes so many callbacks to past episodes that I would have believed the production team knew of the show’s cancellation. But seeing how they have confirmed they did not know, the ending is expected to leave the audience on the edge of their seats awaiting another season like the show has managed to do so impressively every time before.

Edited by tv echo

Reviews of the series finale (3B13/413)...

The Outpost: Finale Offers Battle, Victory, A Wedding & Royalty – Review, Ep. 413
By: John Baker   October 8, 2021
https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2021/10/the-outpost-finale-offers-battle-victory-a-wedding-royalty-review-ep-413/ 

In the final episode, “Nothing Lasts Forever,” the best-laid plans of our heroes and their allies go, as you’d expect, a little wonky. But, in true Outpost fashion, an unexpected helper here, some improvisation there, and the whole darn thing turns out just fine – and produces the moment so many in the fandom has been waiting for. In the end, with the darkest season running us through a gauntlet of tension and struggle, The Outpost produced that bright and warming light that we all needed. And thanks for that.
I’m not going to delve into to many “moments” of the finale, as you’ve either seen it or are going to watch it. The Six show up, Aster sacrifices himself, the plan kind of goes off the rails, but our heroes do what they do best – improvise and adapt, and final victory over the Six is achieved. Looks like they didn’t enjoy those icy climes they found themselves in. And yes, love is still in the air. Most of what this episode delivered was kind of what we were waiting for – victory over the baddies, the Kahvi as a freed race, Munt and Warlita the next power couple at The Outpost, Luna proving her worth, and “Garron” making it not only official on the wedding front, but becoming the new king and queen. Zed, of course, just floats in his ultra-cool Zedness, which we love.

I don’t think it’s trite to say we saw most of that coming, though with the way the writers and showrunners have been tossing our emotions about, and killing off characters, I have no doubt there was some nervousness amongst the fandom about how we were going to get there. But as I said, in a splendid little bit of love, The Outpost ended on high note after high note. The good guys won and after so much turmoil and darkness, Talon and Garret will lead humans, Blackbloods and Kahvi into a new era. Truly, a sparkling jewel revealed in the aftermath of so much struggle and uncertainty. Even though it seemed obvious, it was a welcomed high for the show’s conclusion. And I’m good with that.
Over the course of this show’s four seasons, I have seen it derided and chastised for its lack of slick production values and computer-generated assistance, it’s rudimentary feel and lack of this and that. I’ve said this before and it’s worth repeating, The Outpost didn’t need the tricks of the CGI trade to make it work. What it needed were characters we could invest in and it provided that. It needed locales that seemed right for the moment and it provided that. It needed writers that could produce a story out of nothing and make us hungry for each coming episode and it did that. It needed directors and a showrunner who poured their resources into having a vision for the show that was attractive and believable and we got that.

I’ve used the word “organic” to describe this show and I think that still fits nicely. The move to Serbia to make the funds go farther was a smart move for the show after season 1 (as was the move to 13 episodes), as was investing in building a real-life Outpost set that lent this show such a period-piece feeling of authenticity. Seeing the potential of Jake Stormoen, Jessica Green, Anand Desai-Barochia, Adam Johnson, Reece Ritchie, Georgia May Foote and others, and letting them really lean into their characters was no small feat as well. Fantasy-adventure done well is a trip to another land, another place mentally. When it’s done well, it is magical.
The path to Talon’s side and the kingship for Garret was a nearly three-season slog through the emotional pain and slop of lost purpose and, perhaps a lost soul for a time. I was so impressed with Jake Stormoen’s work as Garret and how he conveyed, often without words, the turmoil within him. Jess Green, I thought, came so far in terms of her abilities from that first season. She grew and progressed and, yes, matured as an actor right before our eyes and it was marvelous.

Izuka Hoyle, Anand, Adam Johnson, Imogene Waterhouse, Aaron Fontaine, Robyn Malcolm and virtually every new character introduced grew personally and from a story standpoint. I can’t even begin to talk about Reece Ritchie and his talent. He was a joy watch play Zed in all his incarnations – warrior, jokester, snarky, passion, intense, caring and, in the end, heartbroken. I was delighted when he booted one of The Six into the icy void and shouted “that’s for Nedra.” So good. I know within the fandom there was a lot of talk that every new character was a winner – no duds in the cast.
Truthfully, I could go on and on about how much I liked this show, the characters that walked through the Realm and the feel and vibe that were created by all that were involved. But you’re probably of the same mind, so why even go into it. I think The Outpost carved out a very important slot in the fantasy-adventure genre. It can be done successfully and without relying on CGI and other computer effects. It can be created from nothing and it can draw a loyal and passionate fan base.

It can be done because The Outpost did it. And 49 episodes – the equivalent of about five seasons – are nothing to be sneered at. A lot of other sci-fi/fantasy/adventure shows that had more buzz behind them lasted a lot less time. There was something about The Outpost and The CW’s commitment to it that was special. Combined with a committed and passionate fanbase and you get what? TV entertainment magic. There’s a lesson to be learned here by TV execs. I hope some were paying attention.

The Outpost Review: Nothing Lasts Forever (Season 4 Episode 13)
Charles E Henning     October 8, 2021
https://telltaletv.com/2021/10/the-outpost-review-nothing-lasts-forever-season-4-episode-13/ 

I’ve dreaded this moment for weeks — the day the final episode of The Outpost airs. I convinced myself there was no possible way they could wrap everything up in a neat little bow, giving us a satisfying conclusion without leaving us with too many unanswered questions. I’m proud to admit I was wrong.

The Outpost Season 4 Episode 13, “Nothing Lasts Forever,” not only ends the season with an uplifting tone but it also concludes the series with scenes everyone has begged for. Although I’ve always been a big Gwynn and Garret shipper, I can not be saddened by the final breathtaking moments — I literally have tears of joy in my eyes.
Season 4 has been largely based on decision-making. We always have a choice in the way things go, even if none of the possible outcomes are positive. This episode continues along those lines but focuses more precisely on acts of selflessness.

As the group talks to Aster mapping out the plan to take on the gods, they come to a major moral dilemma. Do they jeopardize their safety to free the Kahvi, or do they sacrifice an entire species for a better chance of surviving?
By allowing the Kahvi to die, Talon and the crew would be reaping a harvest of innocent souls, staining their hands with black blood. They realize that if they don’t at least try to save them, they are no better than the gods themselves.
By allowing himself to die, Aster will give the humans and Blackbloods the upper hand when they need it most. It is needless to say that Aster most likely doesn’t want to die. His love for humans and Blackbloods trumps his desire to live and prosper among his children. 
This has always been one of my favorite aspects of the show. Among the might, magic, and relationships, there is always a lesson to be learned. No matter how far the characters travel from reality, they are grounded in real-life morals that can help us live our daily lives.

The Outpost delivers the perfect finale
by Neda Mostafavi   October 9, 2021
https://hiddenremote.com/2021/10/09/the-outpost-delivers-the-perfect-finale/ 

As sad as we are when a show ends, we know all good things must come to an end. And though I would have liked many more seasons, more important than when it ends is how it ends. And The Outpost did not disappoint. At all.

The series finale of The Outpost gave us everything. Friendship, battles, romance, a wedding and a coronation! We couldn’t have asked for anything better to say goodbye to Gallwood Outpost and our favorite Blackbloods.
The only good thing about Garret and Zed being mind controlled was that it allowed for some fight scenes between Talon and the two men. Especially fun since Talon and Garret just became engaged. What a start to a honeymoon, am I right?
With the Kahvi now having free will for the first time in their lives Janzo, Wren, and Marvyn take it upon themselves to teach them about choice. The Kahvi aren’t so different from Blackbloods as it turns out and in the end Gallwood Outpost becomes a home for humans, Blackbloods, and Kahvi alike. It’s actually a pretty heartwarming story about inclusion and acceptance.
The final moments of the episode gives us an emotional wedding and coronation for Talon and Garret. Complete with a montage of Talon and Garret’s best moments we see Talon and Garret, dressed up in wedding finery, exchange their vows and become crowned King and Queen of The Outpost. As it should be.

Adding to the emotion was Janzo’s hug and final speech to Talon, and then after he humorously goes and hugs Garret despite their friendly rivalry through the seasons. Zed also added to the emotion and humor, supporting Talon while also taking the chance to mess with Garret a little one final time. It was nice to not only see Garret and Talon happy and married and becoming King and Queen, but also to see all the little nods to the friendships.
Overall, I’m so sad to see this little gem of a show finish but if it had to end this was a perfect way to do it. There was action, battles, friendships, love, and a happy ending. Everything you could ask for. All hail Queen Talon and King Garret!

Edited by tv echo

Ivana Vasić, who I think is the Serbian costume designer/illustrator for The Outpost, posted a pic of the artwork for Talon's wedding gown (go to Instagram link to see pic)...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUzmfAIs5kp/ 

missvassich It was an incredible ride and hard to believe we aren't about to get back in prep again.
I cannot thank enough to the Network, Producers, Directors and Cast for allowing and encouraging me to roam every corner of my imagination, Crew for making work fun and life easy, Extras for being such great company, fans for their tireless love and support and above all, everyone in Costume Department over the last three crazy years, regulars and dailies, for being the most incredible group of humans and professionals, without whom I wouldn't have been able to fantasize and play as much and as happily as I was privileged to do.

And special thanks to everyone involved for allowing the leather wedding gown ;).

#cw #theoutpostcw #theoutpost #arrowstormentertainment #electricentertainment #balkanicmedia

Edited by tv echo

Another review of the series finale...

'NOTHING LASTS FOREVER': THE OUTPOST, SEASON FINALE REVIEW
domingo   October 10, 2021
https://critykology.blogspot.com/2021/10/nothing-lasts-forever-outpost-season.html 

The action permeated this latest episode was in stark contrast to the drama and pain the characters had experienced in previous episodes. If Season 4 of The Outpost has stood out or differentiated itself in anything from the previous ones, it's precisely because of the dark aura has colored the succession to the Gallwood throne, between the political conspiracies of The Three, the macabre resurrection of Tobin and the invasion of the Masters with their kinjs that seemed to prophesy the apocalypse. The season began with political ups and downs that later have given way to a more supernatural plot with several significant deaths that have allowed to address a more intimate and sentimental plane of the characters, who saw how their loved ones were murdered in cold blood by a race not of this world. That psychological dimension has not been perceived as intensely in Nothing Lasts Forever as in previous episodes, but it'a been slightly present.
Instead of choosing for a more realistic, pessimistic and bittersweet closure, in tune with the prevailing fashion in the TV series of this decade, scriptwriters have dared with a much more traditional and customary conclusion, heir to the nineties fictions, I mean, a happy ending. An entertaining and popcorn closing in its first half sweetened with a wedding between the protagonists as a final culmination. Yes, perhaps a little sweeter than you might expect, as most of us had our eyes fixed on Zed and his dubious future, given that the main ships were already fully defined and there were not two "black sheeps" in the herd.
It's an ending more similar to that of a fairy tale and princesses stories, although no less deserving of praise, because if something has done well The Outpost has been not to leave fans with a bad taste in the mouth, something that rarely happens in series which are more commercial or expensive to produce, those which focus on surprising the viewers, sometimes even getting fed up, because they forget that what interests them are the stories of the characters and their evolution.
Surprise and fascinate is fine, but you still have to know when to back off. If you indiscriminately kill the characters with whom the public has empathized, you will lose that audience forever, and in that issue The Outpost can give many lessons to some of its juvenile television cousins, such as The 100, The Magicians or Teen Wolf - We'll see what happens to Motherland Fort Salem next year. Even the great hits, like Vikings or Game of Thrones, and their fanbase, would envy The Outpost. Unlike many of them, The Outpost has not tortured its audience with premature, absurd or unnecessary deaths, since all its fallen characters left with dignity, giving meaning and enriching the development of those who have survived until the last day on screen.

We must add to this that here they have even noticed the kind of ending that the series was asking for. It would have been inappropriate if Talon and Garret had not kissed, or if one of them had died on the way, because they have been the central couple of the series, the "head and the heart", from the beginning. Sometimes it's convenient to reduce bitterness so as not to spoil the trip, a pending issue that Game of Thrones, for example, suspended with the worst possible mark, since the end of a series should serve to culminate and honor the journey of the protagonists. And let's not mention The 100, which uselessly claimed the life of the second character of the main cast, almost as a revenge against the actor who played him just for having requested less screentime, or Teen Wolf, who ruined the natural closure of the series lengthening it to offer a conclusion that seemed more like another insipid chapter. The Outpost has offered an ending at the height of the series, a less surprising ending or with less plot twist than usual, something sweetened, but without going off the script or staying at half throttle. Just, ideal and necessary. It's a good idea to go for more traditional endings than to risk one that completely ruins the series experience, and that's the path The Outpost has walked on. Its epic conclusion breaks the mold with respect to what commercial tradition dictates in the series market.
The Outpost has been a great fantasy, action and adventere series and, like its protagonist, the only survivor of a genre almost forgotten, but that will leave an important legacy for those who come behind. It's been a completely undervalued fiction and very unfairly criticized, but it's not what it seemed to be. Unlike its older cousin, Game of Thrones, The Outpost is not based on any famous novel, something that hardly happens nowadays, in a cinephile market where originality is conspicuous by its absence and in which scriptwriters solve any plot easily by turning to the pages of some recognized best-sellers. That's probably what hurt The Outpost the most: being born into the GoT empire. But not every epic fantasy is GoT, nor does it have to look like it. The fantasy and the science fiction genres are two of those that must be revisited and vindicated, and for which I predict better times after the defeat of the pandemic. Let's not focus just on it's limited budget and resources; Let's stay with its best, with its current message, with James Schafer's emotional soundtrack, with its charismatic characters and their storylines.

Edited by tv echo

John Baker's podcast discussion of the series finale and of the show in general...

The Outpost Calling - 10/10/21
https://www.blogtalkradio.com/threeifbyspace/2021/10/10/the-outpost-calling--101021

And there it is, the season and series finale of The Outpost. When allt he dust had settled, The Six had been vanquished, Aster had sacrified himself, Talon, Zed and Garret were able to do their heroic best, and the Kahvi had a path to a new life thanks to the work of Wren, Janzo and Marvyn. After a season or more of fairly dark tidings and plenty of tension and loss, episode 413, "Nothing Lasts Forever," shines a light on the many good qualifies that this show has and gives us an ending on several high notes that the fandom probably expected, but nevertheless enjoyed. And in the end, Garret and Talon are united as one - not just in marriage, but as the king and queen of the realm, a realm that will include humans, Blackbloods and the Kahvi. Let's talk about the final episode, but more than that we will talk about the impact of The Outpost over its 49 episode run.

Look at who were presenters at the recent Saturn Awards ceremony - The Outpost had been one of the nominees for Best Action/Thriller Television Series (which was ultimately won by Better Call Saul)...

Best Action/Thriller Television Series - Nominees & Winner:
Better Call Saul (AMC) -  WINNER
Castle Rock (Hulu)
The Outpost (The CW)
Pennyworth (Epix)
Riverdale (The CW)
Snowpiercer (TNT)
Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan (Amazon)
(source)
Edited by tv echo

20 Best Characters from Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Shows in 2021
Lauren Busser  December 11, 2021   
https://telltaletv.com/2021/12/20-best-characters-from-sci-fi-fantasy-tv-shows-in-2021/

19. Talon (The Outpost)
Not many characters can pull off changing from warrior to wife to queen in a single season, but Talon, played by Jessica Green, certainly did it in style. 

Over four seasons of The Outpost, Talon grew to be fierce, wise, and humble every step of the way. The final season of the series showed us the sum of everything she achieved, leaving us with tears of joy as she married her one true love. 

20 Best Sci-fi/Fantasy TV Series of 2021
Breeze Riley    December 12, 2021
https://telltaletv.com/2021/12/20-best-sci-fi-fantasy-tv-series-of-2021/

20. The Outpost (The CW)
Lesser known than its peers on The CW, The Outpost still gathered a dedicated fan base during its four-season run.

Its magic and world-building set it apart from other series on the network. Protagonist Talon is hard not to root for as she uses her powers to save others.

Despite the cancellation, the series finale wraps up the show satisfyingly instead of leaving fans hanging. Talon and Garret’s journey ends with a wedding and coronation, indicating a promising future.

With the show finished, maybe now is a good time to catch up on what you missed!

Edited by tv echo