Type keyword(s) to search

Blowin' Up: Blown Away in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

About Blown Away

Ten extraordinary glass blowers compete to win bragging rights, a residency at the world-renowned Corning Museum of Glass in New York, and other prizes valued at over $60,000 USD. YouTube star Nick Uhas (Nickipedia; Big Brother Season 15; America’s Got Talent Season 12) hosts the series. Renowned glass blower Katherine Gray acts as resident judge, while a cast of all-star guest evaluators rotate through each episode.

In each episode, contestants have only four hours to design, create and present a piece of glass art that adheres to the creative challenge outlined by the judges. Each week, the contestant that fails to blow away the judges will be eliminated. The glass blowers are encouraged to push their creative limits in the largest glass blowing studio ever built in North America. Designed specifically for the scope and scale of the competition, the space allows 10 artists to work simultaneously, utilizing two large glass-melting furnaces, 10 reheating furnaces and 10 individual work stations.

Host Nick Uhas brings an upbeat and youthful energy to the series. Well-known for his popular science show Nickipedia that has over 14 million views on YouTube, Nick Uhas is also a former contestant on Season 12 of America’s Got Talent and Season 15 of Big Brother. Each week, Nick is joined by resident judge, professor and glass-master, Katherine Gray who offers her sharp eye and many years of experience in each round of evaluations.

The Corning Museum of Glass in New York, which houses the world’s most comprehensive collection of glass, the library of record on glass, and one of the top glassmaking schools in the world, is a key consulting partner on the series. Blown Away is a co-production between Blue Ant Media and Netflix. The series was created and produced by marblemedia.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

The Corning Museum of Glass partners on glass competition Blown Away

Blown Away producers approached CMoG about a partnership last summer, and we worked to find a creative way to collaborate, culminating in our participation in the final episode. Eric Meek, Senior Manager of Hot Glass Programs, joined Blown Away as a “guest evaluator” for the finale, helping to select the winner of the competition. Also involved in the episode were six of our talented glassmakers—Helen Tegeler, Catherine Ayers, George Kennard, G Brian Juk, Tom Ryder, and Chris Rochelle—who assisted the two finalists with their last challenge.

Edmonton Journal interview with Leah (no spoilers). The executive producer said it got ridiculously hot:

For the series, which was filmed in the fall of 2018, Marblemedia assembled what ended up being the biggest ‘hot shop’ in North America at the time. Situated in an empty warehouse in Hamilton, the shop contained 10 furnaces (known as a ‘hot box’ or ‘glory hole’ in the business), leading to extreme temperatures during filming.

“There were a couple of close calls for heat stroke,” says Hornburg. “In the first week, it was a new hot shop and we had a late summer in Toronto and Hamilton and it was scorching. With 10 hot boxes, the air conditioning couldn’t keep up. In the first episode, they were dripping with authentic sweat.”

22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I read that as most watched glass blowing competition of the summer and wondering how many other ones there were!

You missed Splendor in the Glass on Bravo and Sharin' Glass on Lifetime???  No wonder they had such bad ratings.

LOLOLOL

They’ll probably have Deborah on as a guest judge in the next season. I wonder how they’ll handle filming this show with COVID though. You can’t exactly wear a mask to blow anything and the contestants with their assistants can’t exactly practice social distancing. Maybe they’d have to be quarantined ahead of time u less things turn around here. 
I can’t believe how much I loved this show. It’s a competitive reality show that doesn’t make you hate yourself for sick watching it. I’m also enjoying “Forged in Fire” about blacksmithing 

I followed a few of them on Instagram. I wanted to follow Momo but her insta is just pictures of herself. 

Edited by Kiss my mutt
  • Love 4

I was wondering about the COVID protocols for season 2, and it turns out this may have finished filming just as everything was starting to shut down in March 2020: https://www.distractify.com/p/when-was-blown-away-season-2-filmed.

Based on the casting sheet shared by the official Blown Away Instagram, it appears as if filming was completed just before the pandemic shutdowns began.

One of the "musts" listed was that applicants should "be able to travel to Canada on or around February 1st and stay until approximately March 15, 2020."

That makes me feel a little bit better about shared equipment and close face to face conversations.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I was wondering about the COVID protocols for season 2, and it turns out this may have finished filming just as everything was starting to shut down in March 2020

I wondered about that in the "table centerpiece" episode, when they mentioned not being able to see and talk to one another if the centerpiece is too tall. I thought that if this were during Covid-time, there surely would have been a crack about how hard it is to communicate with people through masks!

• Love 1

Season 4 of BLOWN AWAY is scheduled to begin airing Monday March 4, 2024 with new host Hunter March and resident judge Katherine Gray, Canadian glass artist and professor of art at California State University, San Bernardino.

Ten professional glassblowers face off to create weird and whacky things in the hopes of winning $100,000, up from $60,000.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1