Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5: All Episodes Talk

Regardless of how Kelsey's youngest kids got here, those ARE their ancestors too so I thought it was perfectly relevent to show him in the pool with this child talking about the great-grandmother she will never be able to meet. Anyway, it must have been heartbreaking for Kelsey's grandma to have BOTH parents become alcoholics who showed little if any interest in parenting . If she had any inkling that Kelsey was developing an alcohol problem, it's a bit puzzling if she didn't consider begging him to get help due to her parents' fates. Fascinating though tragic was how his 3 X great-grandparents made it to Oregon via the Oregon Trail plugging on even after leaving their eldest son in an unmarked grave. I wonder if any of their 11 other children had progeny who still live in the area?  Terrible irony is that it's a virtual certainty that Kelsey's grandma knew nothing of her Oregon Trail ancestors who made it despite the odds -just that her father was an alcoholic and not that there had once been something to be proud of via that line.  On a somewhat puzzling programming note, was it just to spare Kelsey's feeling that they said his sister 'died   at eighteen'  instead of  mentioning that she was murdered ? Not only is that public record but Kelsey himself made pleas at her convicted murderer's parole hearing just five years ago to keep him from being released.

Although I'm not a fan of all of Kelsey's personal life choices, I like his work and, more importantly, I liked this episode and appreciate how he dealt with the information provided.

• Love 2

In his defense, I thought I heard Kelsey say "the woman you are named for" to his daughter in the pool. That's a connection to start the ball rolling.

I loved this episode. How often do we get to see the actual ruts from the wagons on the Oregon Trail. It was fascinating. I felt so sorry about the people who died along the way and and were left in graves by the trail.

All in all, one of my favorite episodes.

Since Kelly Clarkson's was repeated last night, I have officially seen them all.

Asheley Judd and Kelly Clarkson episodes are tied for worst. Do you really need to be a cheerleader for your ancestors?

Clarkson didn't know what the Temperance Movement was about and then when told, decided, "oh, not such a good thing". Then, "Well, it was for the women. His heart was in the right place." Then the bill passed and she's all, "he got his bill passed!". Whoo hoo! (not actual quotes but it's my interpretation.)

It was a real struggle for me to watch to the end.

My vote for most dignified and intersting is Steve Buscemi and Grammar.

I found the Kelsey Grammer episde pretty interesting.  I'm sort of a history buff, so I like hearing about the "pioneer journeys".  The people who went West - were good stock and endured many challenges.   Though I'm not a fan of his, it was a decent show.

I will say I stayed up and watched a rerun of the Kelly Clarkson episode and I was fascinated with her background.  She also seemed very down to earth and was so happy she learned her heritage.  Her 3x great-grandfather was a fighter and made something of himself. 

I really like most of the episodes = Lisa Kudrow and Christina Applegate had me in tears. 

I didn't mean to beat on Kelsey Grammer, I just wasn't pulled in by the intro.  Perhaps I have selective memory, but I don't recall other episode setups being so composed, for lack of a better word.  Like I said, I plan to try again.  

About the only person on whom I'd flip the channel is Ashley Judd, because seeing it once was enough.  Rob Lowe was kind of in the same vein, fervently hoping for his ancestor to be a Revolutionary War hero (on the American side), despite what all the evidence they uncovered showed, but I found his situation kind of funny and a little more endearing.  

I kind of got that feeling too, that the beginning came off as scripted or something.  I don't know much about Kelsey Grammer's family tragedy, but since I saw someone up thread mention the murder, I suspect the production company and/or Grammer himself figured it wasn't worth highlighting that fact since either people know, or there was no reason to add that sensationalistic fact.

I thought he was kind of snarky and disappointed about his unknown great grandfather's history as it was being revealed so the information about his earlier pioneer ancestors was a nice counterpoint to that.  I also wondered if he still has distant relatives in the Willlamette Valley.  The last name sounds like it might be pretty distinctive.  Or maybe, if there are still family there, they might have elected to not be included in this, if asked.

This has been the most interesting one this season, I think.

Edited by Glaze Crazy

Actually Kelsey was just in a parole hearing recently saying he forgave the man who murdered his sister, and he believed the guy turned his life around, but that he should remain in prison for the rest of the perpetrators natural life.

Didn't he have a brother that drowned also?

Wasn't Minnie Driver added to the opening in this week's episode? I noticed since I've been unsuccessful at finding her ep from the BBC version online.

I enjoyed Kelsey Grammar's episode. I found the Oregon Trail part especially interesting. At least it kept me engaged, unlike the snooze-fest that was the McAdams episode. I just found it so boring--not sure I even made it to the end.

Edited by vali

I've noticed a pattern on this show that makes it somewhat disingenuous. I understand why it happens, though, because I'm sure once they get a celebrity that expresses an interest, they put researchers to work on their family tree to see what kind of interesting stories they can find, if any, and that ends up being the story they pursue, regardless of whether that's the stated intent.

For example, with Kelsey Grammar, he said he wanted to learn about his grandmother's mother, but instead of learning more about her family he followed the line of his grandmother's father - who wasn't even a part of her life. The one she found late in life and called and was rejected by. It seems odd that Grammar would pursue that particular branch of the family tree given the circumstances, but that's where the story was to be found, through that guy. They managed to trace him back to a family that traveled the Oregon trail and even found a hand-written journal by a distant relative. That's the kind of stuff they can make a show about.

I'd just be interested in knowing the mechanics of how it all works out, because if Grammar starts out saying he wants to know more about a particular family line, and the producers come back to him and say "Well, there isn't much there that's interesting, but we found out something interesting through a different line," maybe it's just an ego trip for the celebrity to be able to go on the show and point to an ancestor that did something heroic or famous or significant, even if that's not even the part of the family they were interested in to start with.

Or maybe in some cases the celebrity in question agrees to a compromise, which is why we see two different stories for the same star. Like with Sarah Jessica Parker, who got to explore the line she was interested in, and then turned around and explored a different line the show apparently found more fascinating.

I don't think he cared. He wanted to know more abt his grt-grandmother, not her line. He found out abt her, and that was it.

Then he wsnted to know why his grt-grandfather left.

Maybe he was prompted, but I don't think it mattered much to him since he found out the reason why his grandmother was raised by her aunt & uncle.

To be clear, the part I found disingenuous was the jump from "crappy great-grandfather" to "ancestors who rode the Oregon trail." I mean, if he wanted to know more about his great grandfather, the next logical step is to try to find out more about his childhood and his parents. Maybe then they could determine why he turned out to be such a creep. Then, maybe, you could trace how this pattern went all the way back to predecessors who rode the Oregon trail.

It's sort of a false narrative to jump from a grandfather who was rather a tragic figure to his ancestors who had an interesting story with rare documention, because it made it seem like they wanted the episode to have a happy ending. But for Grammar to say "Well, my forebearers had the plucky can-do spirit of the pioneers, and that's where I get it from!" is just - no. No, because he would have gotten it through a descendant that clearly, by all accounts, did not possess these qualities himself.

If you follow this story in a linear fashion, this is actually a sad story. It may start with people who did something brave and rather admirable, but it culminated with kids who turned out to be kind of crappy people. Only by telling the story backwards do you get your "happy ending" but history doesn't really work that way.

And, not to be a party pooper, but just because people braved the Oregon trail doesn't necessarily make them nice people. How did his great grandfather get to be such a loser that he abandoned his wife and child, got kicked out of the marines for being drunk all the time, etc.? Can that pattern of behavior be traced all the way back to the wagon train people? Maybe not, but somewhere along the way, the wagon train guy wound up with a great grandson that turned out to be a pretty terrible guy - and to me, that's where the real story is.

It it's not a deliberate misdirect, it's certainly a disconnect. He found out about his grandmother's parents, and that was a sad story. But then it was "Look over there, something shiny!" A jump back several generations from the great grandfather to what could only be described as "better people."

• Love 1

The Kelsey Grammar story was timely for me.  I have ancestors who went by wagon train on the Oregon Trail and settled in eastern Washington.  As it happens, we are driving out west this week and in a few days will be going right by that Oregon Trail Interpretive Center.  I never knew it existed and now I can stop there!  I do like how they vary the stories and time periods they study.  The Rachel McAdams story was boring but I did enjoy learning about the Loyalists.

• Love 2

I find it interesting the way that subjects really glom onto the traits of their forebears, in that they are visibly disappointed when the ancestors aren't very admirable. Maybe everybody doesn't have a crappy relative or two, I don't know, but having them in the present gives one a certain detachment in viewing the lives of the ancestors. The sins of the fathers do not necessarily redound to the sons, actually. But we do build that notion up, don't we?

In Kelsey Grammar's case, the sins of the father (or grt-grandparents) actually do rebound to successive generations.

I'm talking the alcoholism that is absolutely genetic. Kelsey's had his own well-known problems, which can be directly linked to his grt-grandparents. Yes, the murder of Karen probably played into it as well.

My grt-grandfather was a mean alcoholic. My grandmother avoided alcohol, but it reared its ugly head w/my father, uncle & sister. One of the reasons I mostly avoid it.

So just skipping a generation or two doesn't mean ur family is not pre-disposed. We also don't know if any of his 2x or earlier grt-grandparents had addiction problems.

• Love 2

Not sure why folks are down on Kelsey Grammer's episode. I just watched it today and found it very interesting. I am sure the producers skip around in search of whatever part of the story is going to make an interesting show. To me, the jump back to the ancestors who traveled the Oregon Trail seemed completely logical. It makes sense that they are going to try to find something of historical significance to highlight and, depending how far back and which line it is in, there is going to be some jumping over generations.

• Love 2

Just watched a rerun of the Kelsey Grammer episode.  It may be that there is not that much information on the great grandfather - Ellis, who deserted his wife, etc.  His childhood and upbringing may have been normal.   It could be than when he became an adult and went out into the world on his own, he then got hooked on alcohol.  Maybe he stopped all contact with the wife and daughter because he knew he was no good and/or knew he was not cut out to be a good husband and father?  There's really no way to prove out why he did what he did.

I found it ironic when Kelsey was like oh he deserted his wife and child, not a good thing.  Well, I know Kelsey supports all of his kids (exes?), but yeah he wasn't really in a position to judge.  Kelsey was extremely polite and seemed more intelligent than some of the stars on this show.

I was surprised that they didn't focus on the great grandmother's family more, but there may be nothing of note, except just where they lived and vital statistics.

I'm sure they go to the lineage that has the most information, plus what will make a better story on tv.  Looks like one goal of the series to to promote ancestry and their affiliated websites (which is not a horrible thing).  I find it interesting to see all the different locations, and I'm usually terribly jealous that I can't have all these experts dig into my family tree (although I do get such a kick when I locate a new piece of information - after researching for about 15 years off/on).

• Love 1

I just watched the Valerie Bertinelli episode, and someone upthread questioned if she was descended from legitimate or illegitimate lines.

Edward I's daughter married Humphrey deBohun, a VERY wealthy & important nobleman, so chances are that the daughter (Elizabeth) was legitimate.

Eventually the deBohun inheritance ended up in the main royal family line via Warwick the kingmaker's daughters, who married Edward IV's brothers, George & Richard. Due to George's treason, the family was attainted and all lands/inheritance confiscated. And Richard (II) had no surviving children.

• Love 2

Just watched a rerun of the Kelsey Grammer episode.  It may be that there is not that much information on the great grandfather - Ellis, who deserted his wife, etc.  His childhood and upbringing may have been normal.   It could be than when he became an adult and went out into the world on his own, he then got hooked on alcohol.  Maybe he stopped all contact with the wife and daughter because he knew he was no good and/or knew he was not cut out to be a good husband and father?  There's really no way to prove out why he did what he did.

I found it ironic when Kelsey was like oh he deserted his wife and child, not a good thing.  Well, I know Kelsey supports all of his kids (exes?), but yeah he wasn't really in a position to judge.  Kelsey was extremely polite and seemed more intelligent than some of the stars on this show.

I was surprised that they didn't focus on the great grandmother's family more, but there may be nothing of note, except just where they lived and vital statistics.

I'm sure they go to the lineage that has the most information, plus what will make a better story on tv.  Looks like one goal of the series to to promote ancestry and their affiliated websites (which is not a horrible thing).  I find it interesting to see all the different locations, and I'm usually terribly jealous that I can't have all these experts dig into my family tree (although I do get such a kick when I locate a new piece of information - after researching for about 15 years off/on).

This right here.   The most ironic moment of all happens as he makes a conclusion about Ellis' pattern.  Ellis L. Gemmick (was it Gemmick?).  He goes the L must've stood for Louse.  Suggesting he was a chronic abandon-er.   Um, Kelsey, you're aware that we know you left your last two wives without so much as a howdyado right?   All kinds of wow.

• Love 2

And yet I really enjoyed Kelsey's episode, I think at some points he was very humble, gracious and compassionate. I believe he is well aware that we know about all his faults and failures. He shared his family with us with all their warts and I for one am grateful.

• Love 2

Does anybody know why Lauren Graham's episode was scrapped?   She appears in the credits but they aren't airing her episode.  

This week with Minnie Driver is the last episode of the season, and I think the Minnie Driver episode is just a repackage of the episode that aired int he UK.   New for most people in this country, but not a new episode.   They did that with Kim Cattrall episode, as well.   And, honestly, I'm kind of surprised they haven't done it with the Jerry Springer episode.   

Although it would have been great to know more about why Kelsey Grammer's great-grandfather ran off, I also think that information probably is lost or never existed. My great-grandfather left his son and moved to the States from Canada around 1927, after his wife died and left my grand-father with his sister-in-law. Why? Well, if you asked my great-great-aunt, he was a worthless drunk who ended up on the streets of New York and Boston. The other version of the story is that he was blacklisted in his home town for his union involvement and had to leave. He wrote to his sister-in-law several times asking her to come to the States so he could be reunited with his son, but she always refused. Should I be like the annoying WDYTYA celebrity who brags about how he was a rebel with a cause - just like me! Or should I shake my head in shame and look for more inspiring ancestors? I'll probably never know. It's what drives me crazy every time I try to see what shakes out of the family tree.

• Love 1

She claimed he tried shooting her twice and that she 'rolled to the floor in her bedclothes and played dead', and that a few minutes later she heard a shot and found her husband shot himself in the temple?  That sounds VERY sketchy to me.  How does a guy miss....twice....when someone is asleep in bed?

Maybe she shot her husband, but I have met a few folks who could get so highly intoxicated that they might easily miss ...twice...then miss again...and again...and again...then pass out while the victim was still breathing.

With reference to favoring which side of the Civil War an ancestor fought--it was stated that some families had members fighting on opposite sides--I actually had one ancestor who fought on BOTH sides.  When about 15, he rode off with a band of Southern soldiers as they went through his town, fought alongside them for about a week, until his father caught up to the Rebels and convinced them that his boy was too young to join them, so he took the kid back to the farm.  About a year later, the boy was old enough to make a decision and he then joined up with the Union forces for the duration of the War.

Edited by UncleChuck
  • Love 1

Not sure why folks are down on Kelsey Grammer's episode. I just watched it today and found it very interesting. I am sure the producers skip around in search of whatever part of the story is going to make an interesting show. To me, the jump back to the ancestors who traveled the Oregon Trail seemed completely logical. It makes sense that they are going to try to find something of historical significance to highlight and, depending how far back and which line it is in, there is going to be some jumping over generations.

I didn't dislike the episode, it's just that now that I've seen a lot of them, I'm noticing a pattern. And you're right, I'm sure the producers skip around to wherever they can find an interesting story. 

It's just that there's a disconnect that sometimes feels disingenuous. Grammer wanted to know about his grandmother. What he learned was that her father was . . . sort of a creep, for lack of a better word. If that were me, my reaction to that news wouldn't be "well, let's learn more about him!" - unless it's the next logical step, which is why he turned out to be such a creep. Instead, we jump back several generations of his ancestry to find out about some people who are comparatively admirable and note-worthy.

And that's fine, but what I want to know is, what happened to these people, that their descendant turned out to be such a creep? That's the story that's missing. And by going from the "creep" to the "heroes", it feels like "happy ending! I found the good people!" Except . . . that's backwards. The "good people" eventually turned out the creep. It's actually kind of a sad story.

Edward I's daughter married Humphrey deBohun, a VERY wealthy & important nobleman, so chances are that the daughter (Elizabeth) was legitimate.

Illegitimate children of the monarch were often married into wealthy and powerful (and sometimes even royal) families. They were often given titles. Just because Edward I's daughter married some wealthy nobleman doesn't mean she was legitimate. It just means the family wanted a connection to the monarch and the monarch wanted a connection to their wealth and power. 

Re: Kelsey's episode:

I didn't dislike the episode, it's just that now that I've seen a lot of them, I'm noticing a pattern. And you're right, I'm sure the producers skip around to wherever they can iit feels like "happy ending! I found the good people!"

Most likely there are no answers to be found. Sometimes u can find info in disspossion of marriage requests, but sometimes not. And why waste good tv time speculating or wondering. You can't change the past.

Illegitimate children of the monarch were often married into wealthy and powerful (and sometimes even royal) families. They were often given titles. Just because Edward I's daughter married some wealthy nobleman doesn't mean she was legitimate. It just means the family wanted a connection to the monarch and the monarch wanted a connection to their wealth and power.

Humphrey deBohun married Elizabeth the youngest daughter of King Edward I & Queen Eleanor (formerly of Castile). Therefore Valerie comes from the legitimate side of the blanket.

Also Edward I was one of England's greatest kings. Harsh & violent? Absolutely. But ge had to be in the early middle ages. Life was a bitch & if u were soft, well, just look at Edward II.

• Love 1

I know the producers are pressed for time to fit everything in to the time frame, but I feel like we miss so much by not delving into the ancestors a little more!

For example (and please don't think this is too creepy), I have an ancestry membership so I had to search for Ellis.  I found the census they pulled up (1880) when he was 1 years old and his father Joseph was a dentist.  The wife's parents and a brother lived with them as well.  The father in law was a physician and the brother was a dentist.  I'm curious how they made their way down the coast.  In a quick shot of Elli's death certificate I saw he was born in Healdsburg California (I lived there!), so what was the migration down to Alameda/Oakland?

I noticed in the book about early Oregonians, they said Joseph the elder was born in Connecticut.  The censuses I've run across all say New York.  I think an awesome story would have been his migration from NY or CT or even before that - how far back does the immigration from Europe go.  That's what I always find really interesting.

Kelsey's sister was murdered, but so was his father.  He's a brilliant but infinitely damaged man.  I hope he finds some peace eventually.  Or that at least his children do.

It doesn't bother me that they skip around - I'm sure the celebrity gets the complete research on each step of the family tree, and I'm sure they go in every possible direction until the information trail gives out.  The "story" comes from those individuals who had interesting stories to tell (which haven't already been covered by previous celeb ancestors).  

I agree about medieval kings - wars were still fought in hand to hand combat.  Not for the faint hearted.

I really enjoyed both Kelsey's and Minnie's episodes.  I am not a huge Kelsey Grammar fan but I liked his episode, and actually liked his approach.  I loved the pioneer story as I love Laura Ingalls Wilder everything, so I find that kind of thing fascinating.  

Minnie's episode was very nice.  I liked how personal it was with her finding out more about her father.  I didn't catch the beginning...when did he die?  It seemed like he lived to a decent age, but I didn't catch the specifics.  

Minnie said that her father died when her son was young- I think she said 13 months. I Googled it and Henry was born in 2008, so her dad must have died in '09 or '10. 

Edited by Katydid

Random thoughts on the Driver ep:

• Old English ladies are The Cutest. I bet she put on the Kettle for her guest.
  • I want Minnie's coat A. Lot.
  • That RAF museum place looks super cool; I want to go to there.
  • Minnie looks like her mum.
  • I'm a little disappointed that wee Henry has an American accent. Of course it's normal that he does, but wee English accents make me smile.
  • I think Minnie conveyed well the sense of the researcher's delight in finding info tempered by knowing the subject is already dead.

Did I get this right?  Minnie's grandfather was married to someone else when her father was born.  Minnie's father was married to someone else when she was born.  And Minnie herself won't say who Henry's father is (speculation has been that he was a married man).  

Did I get this right?  Minnie's grandfather was married to someone else when her father was born.

It sounded like it was not just an affair but an actual "double life".  No details about who knew what about who and for how long.  Maybe it was a don't ask, don't tell like Katherine Hepbern and Spencer Tracy - that went on for decades with his wife's silent "permission".

I was more shocked with Chris O'Donnell.  How in the hell does any American not have at least the barest of knoweledge about Ft. McHenry & The Star Spangled Banner? 

Old English ladies are The Cutest. I bet she put on the Kettle for her guest.

I KNOW!  I hope I turn English in 20 years!  It was sweet that Minnie came for the visit an armload of gifts, too.

I think I am too much prejudicied in my girl crush on Minnie.  I just really dig celebrities that aren't the typical glamourous, but "flawed" with interesting faces.  Aging normally, not being a slave to the knife.  Bebe Neuwrith also comes to mind- she & Minnie seem really comfortable in their own skin; that's appealing to me.

• Love 1

Well well, all these episodes were new to me (except Chris O'Donnell). 

I thought it was very - brave? Open? I don't know what word I'm searching for, but going on TV and basically admitting that your mother was your biological father's mistress, and that you are were in fact born illegitimate, is not something I would expect most stars to do. That made Driver's story quite compelling, but I wasn't clear on how close a relationship she had with her father, if any. Clearly she had never met anyone in his family before, as she stated more than once. And knew next to nothing about his life. 

I was also surprised at how old her father was when she was born - her in 1970, him in 1921. So he was 49 when she was born. I mean, not REAL old, but she's younger than me and my parents weren't born until 1940. I wonder how old her mother was during the years she was involved with him. Considerably younger, I'd wager.

The Tim McGraw episode was also an eye opener for me. I don't follow country music and know next to nothing about the guy, and probably couldn't have picked him out of a lineup if my life depended on it. But I thought it was interesting that he grew up not knowing his father was someone "famous" until he was 11 and that his father wouldn't even acknowledge him until after he was 18. That was kind of sad, although I guess it turned into a happy ending for both. Here again, that's not something I'd expect a mainstream entertainer to go on TV and talk about openly. This isn't Oprah after all.

Rita Wilson episode was the saddest by far. My God, to think of what her father had been through with the Nazis and the Communists, in prison, in work camps, his wife dying in childbirth and then his son dying soon after. It's a wonder he made it out of there alive. It was as inspiring as it was tragic but would have been only the latter if not for his escape.

All three episodes were very good.

Rita Wilson episode was the saddest by far. My God, to think of what her father had been through with the Nazis and the Communists, in prison, in work camps, his wife dying in childbirth and then his son dying soon after. It's a wonder he made it out of there alive. It was as inspiring as it was tragic but would have been only the latter if not for his escape.

Thanks for the heads up on the sadness.  This one is still in the DVR que, so I'll save it for the right time.

As much as I enjoy this show, I do get the sniffles almost every episode for one reason or another!

I really liked the Minnie Driver episode. Yes, it was quite fascinating to learn about her father's hithero unknown aircraft heroics but I wonder if one possible reason he kept all of that hidden from Minnie was that he was ashamed of his times in the mental wards after what had happened. Also, while Minnie was open to the fact that her father was married to someone else when she was born [and even showed her father in a dress uniform on his wedding day], they didn't say what became of his father's wife nor whether they had offspring. Yeah, it seems Minnie's father himself was born of a nonmarital union that happened when Minnie's grandfather was married to someone else but it's unclear whether Minnie's grandmother was already widowed [ perhaps secretly divorced but they told the registar otherwise] and whether she may have had children by her first union. No doubt that Minnie's father knew about his older half-bro [the actor who evidently changed his legal surname to his own mother's maiden name which is a good indicatation how he regarded the mutual father] but did the half-bro know about Minnie's father? And how old did Minnie's paternal grandparents live to be? Well, better late than never that she was able to meet this previously unknown older cousins and they seemed quite simpatica.

Ironic that she said she was undertaking this search for her son's sake because didn't want him to grow up not knowing his heritage but while she may have good reason for having never identified his father publically, how can she not see that she's hiding half of her son's heritage the same way half of her own was hidden from her?  Yes, even if she's privately told her son who his father is , is that the same as having spent time with him, meeting his paternal grandparents or even seeing their photos before he's an adult? Even in the New Millenium, I wonder if her son won't eventually resent her for seeing to it that he was the third generation born of a nonmarital union.

I stress that I think this was a very well done episode and I really liked her enthusiasm as well as having initiative re undertaking different aspects of the search.

the actor who evidently changed his legal surname to his own mother's maiden name which is a good indicatation how he regarded the mutual father

We only saw the playbill, not any legal documents. So it might just've been a union thing, or a 'Stancliff looks better on the marquee' thing.

We also saw that GF's first wife was a fair bit older than he was when they married. It's possible she was ill during the years he was carrying on with the future second wife. We didn't get all the information, is my point. It's hard to draw conclusions on so little.

I was struck, however, by how much contact with her dad Minnie seemed to have had throughout her life, even though her never-married parents split up. Lots of men would just write a separate family off (see Jesse Ferguson's ep) and go on their merry way.

We only saw the playbill, not any legal documents. So it might just've been a union thing, or a 'Stancliff looks better on the marquee' thing.

I intitially thought the same thing, attica, but then it turned out her elderly half-cousin had had her paternal grandmother's [not grandfather's]  original surname so if the brother passed that onto his own daughter, then it's almost certain that he himself had changed it for himself beforehand. Still, it's ironic that 'Driver' wound up becoming far more famous in acting circles than 'Stancliff' .

Good point about Minnie's father being more involved in her life despite her being via a 'separate family'. Of course, it could be with her increasing fame and his increasing age towards the end he overhauled his priorities and also wanted to be a grandfather to her son.

I kept thinking watching the Kelsey Grammer episode that I bet he wished he had known the name Comfort in his ancestory - he seemed quite taken with it so I wouldn't have been surprised if  he would have given it to one of his daughters. Or does in the future, given his penchant for having kids. I have to admit it is a pretty cool name.

Just saw the Rita Wilson epi and for me it was by far the most moving. I kept thinking that she and Tom Hanks should produce a movie based on her father's life. It is certainly as moving as anything Hollywood could come up with.

• Love 1

I kept thinking watching the Kelsey Grammer episode that I bet he wished he had known the name Comfort in his ancestory - he seemed quite taken with it so I wouldn't have been surprised if  he would have given it to one of his daughters. Or does in the future, given his penchant for having kids. I have to admit it is a pretty cool name.

Just saw the Rita Wilson epi and for me it was by far the most moving. I kept thinking that she and Tom Hanks should produce a movie based on her father's life. It is certainly as moving as anything Hollywood could come up with.

Rita's was definitely one of the saddest episodes, but I'm glad that her father escaped the work camp and was able to have some happiness.  Its so weird to think about all this stuff that no one in her family knew about her father.

Tom Hanks I believe is distantly related to Nancy Hanks (Abraham Lincoln's mother) - I would've loved to see that family tree broken down.

I give Tim McGraw credit for being able to embrace his biological father.  Personally, I think I would've been a little bitter that it took my biological father 7 years to acknowledge/want anything to do with me.

Tom Hanks I believe is distantly related to Nancy Hanks (Abraham Lincoln's mother) - I would've loved to see that family tree broken down.

Tom Hanks and George Clooney are both related to Lincoln through Nancy Hanks. I'd also love to see the family tree.

I give Tim McGraw credit for being able to embrace his biological father. Personally, I think I would've been a little bitter that it took my biological father 7 years to acknowledge/want anything to do with me.

Apparently Tug did not believe at the time that Tim was his son because he claimed that he & Tim's mother only slept together once or twice.

It wasn't until Tim was 17 or 18 that someone pointed out how much Tim looked like Tug, that the latter believed.

I'm sure athletes get that alot - "ur my son's/daughter's father." With no DNA back then, why should he take responsibility w/o proof?

Thinking about the entire season as a whole it's interesting to note the differences with the Minnie Driver episode. Since her episode originally aired on the UK version of the show it had more depth and that's what the first two season's of the US version were like. The move to TLC has made the show seem slightly hollow and since we get less episodes a season it's more apparent.

My favorite episodes this season were Minnie, Valerie, Cynthia and Jesse.

What I didn't understand about Minnie Driver is why she spent so much time investigating her grandparents, and was so delighted to know her father had a half brother, but seems to have no interest in finding any half siblings she herself might have. She clearly stated at the first of the show that her father not only had a wife, but a family. I don't know if she wants to keep any search private either for her mother's sake, or possibly for the sake of the first family who make not even know of her existence, but I kept waiting through the whole episode for her to mention looking for her own possible half siblings.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 2

I just finished watching all the episodes from this season. I'm in the UK, so had already seen the Minnie Driver episode when it aired here. 

I always find the shoehorning in of Ancestry.com amusing in the US version, but aside from that, I did enjoy the episodes. The weakest of the bunch was definitely the McAdams' sisters. While I can imagine that for them, it was nice, it wasn't really exciting, or really even that interesting watching it unfold. 

Edit: While I won't claim to remember everything from Minnie's episode that aired in the UK, it's worth noting that in the UK episodes are an hour long (without ads), so a bunch of stuff must have been cut to fit in the 15-20mins ads in the US version of the episode.

Edited by MartinKSmith
  • Love 1